Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2014)

520,368 Views | 1743 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ooshwa
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any info on the smaller shops at the Exxon at Holleman and 2818 would be appreciated.
carpe vinum
AG
Or towerpoint
bcstx06
I thought aLoft was going on University where these apartments were torn down.
PS3D
Nah, the Aloft is more of a luxury hotel. When the hotel at Century Square appears, it will be a conference center type hotel (maybe Embassy Suites)
bcstx06
I know that aLoft is a more of a luxury hotel but it seems like they would go in a more urban location and not behind a suburban Red Lobster. But either way, that is still a nice area.
rsincs
AG
The Aloft chain is not considered a luxury chain..its just a more update chain that caters to younger cliente.
rsincs
AG
The Aloft chain is not considered a luxury chain..its just a more update chain that caters to younger cliente.
bcstx06
^ Thats what I was trying to say. Its not really luxury, its just more "hip" then many other hotel brands. With that being said, you would think that they would prefer a more urban location like in the new development at the corner Texas & University.
Turtle88
AG
You crack me up. Like a couple miles down university is more "urban"!
Rex Racer
AG
I don't see El Farolito on the list of recently opened places.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Looks like Jimmy John's on Longmire is open. (Apologies if that info is "so last year.")

Apology accepted.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Rumor has it that a fish place is moving into the old Tony Roma's.

I would like to hear more about this rumor.
Maybe Next Year
AG
As per the previously mentioned SOHO location, does anyone have any info on the Maroon Bike or Happp Yogurt spaces? Any plans for those places?
AggiePirate
AG
Is the ' McDonald's - Briarcrest and TX-6 ' referring to the McDonalds in WalMart? I really hope not. But would they build it, on top of the vet clinic (or inside maybe)?

I'll have a McHorse please.
halibut sinclair
^ In between Chick's/Stripes and Taco Casa.
AggiePirate
AG
Oh so they dont want any business
halibut sinclair
Not sure what that means.
AggiePirate
AG
Its either a difficult location or the fact that no one in town makes a better burger than Chicks/Stripes.
halibut sinclair
Pretty sure a McDonald's can be located just about anywhere and do booming business.
PS3D
Updates have been made (El Farolito, Soho). Now, the biggest new thing comes to us from the CSTX New Development List, in which according to the site plan (and arranging North correctly) the Bank of America building at Jane Street and University Drive East will be torn down for a new one-story retail building, and based on the plans, there will be a decent-sized restaurant there as well (600 sq. feet of outdoor seating). Stay tuned...
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
no one in town makes a better burger than Chicks/Stripes.

I don't think anyone goes to McDonald's for the taste of their burgers
dachsie
Where's all the hubbub about St. Joe's being bought out?
nashvilleaggie11
WOOHOO to the Bank of American building being torn down. I can't stand it and I think retail/restaurant will be such a welcome change there. Now if only they would tear down the UHaul on the other side....
MisterShipWreck
Anyone know what's being built next to the oil pump on Decatur? I do not think it is a house, next to an oil pump, and now it looks like they are building a drive thru/cement loop around the cement slab
bcstx06
I'm shocked that the Bank of America is being torn down, but I guess they want an updated building.

When I was saying a more urban location for aLoft, the location I suggested would have been more walkable to shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The only place people will be able to walk from at that location is to Red Lobster and they will need to mostly drive to get anywhere else. aLoft's target market is the young and hip crowd. Well young and hip people like the convince of being able to walking to destinations. But like I said, I guess the location they picked is ok.

Who said St Joseph's was being bought?

[This message has been edited by bcstx06 (edited 5/23/2014 2:54p).]
carpe vinum
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/news/local/headlines/ST-JOSEPH-HEALTH-SYSTEM--260215001.html
farmer2010
AG
Judging by the site plan at Jane & University, the BoA building and drive-thru bank will remain standing. The new retail space/restaurant will replace the drive-thru ATM and open field next to it.
MAlovedphotography
St joe was not bought, they are doing a merger.
threecatcorner
The first sentence of that linked story says Catholic Health Network is in the process of acquiring them. How does that not mean bought? Pretty sure "acquire" and "buy" both mean that CHN will own St Joseph's.
Jersey Joe
If it is the gigantic system I heard was buying them, they are not merging, they are being bought out.
rcannaday
AG
Anybody know what is being constructed by the Red Lobster on University? Seems like very little parking if its a restaurant.
carpe vinum
AG
Top of page. Aloft hotel.
BryanPooch
The Lemon Wedge has closed - rather suddenly it seems - on North Main Street in Downtown Bryan. There is a message on the door to contact the owner via her Facebook page or by the restaurant website. A lot of stuff moved around inside, the bar area is cleared of its liquor, etc. Looks like it happened earlier in the week.
MAlovedphotography
Just because kbtx says "process of acquiring them." doesnt mean its true. if you read the rest of the artical, the head of the st joes orginization said "TOLEDO, Ohio and ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (May 21, 2014) – Today Sylvania Franciscan Health (SFH) and Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) signed a non-binding letter of intent for SFH to join CHI. The two health care systems will negotiate the terms of the sponsorship agreement with the expectation of reaching an agreement by fall 2014." They are JOINING CHI, just like scott and white joined baylor. its a merger.

Tailgate88
AG
Per the Boston's thread, they closed today...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.