Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

74,520 Views | 537 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by double e
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cats
cupofjoe04
AG
txags92 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

I caught a glimpse of a snake today, along the back deck. I just saw the head, and front 6-8" of it, before it disappeared into some leaves. It honestly looked like a rough earth snake, from coloration to texture. It was very uniformly brown. However, the head and body were as big around as my thumb, so I'm guessing this snake was around 12-16" long. It seemed way too big for an earth snake to me.

Sorry, no pictures.

Any ideas on a solid brown snake in that size range in north Texas? The coachwhips I have seen have been darker, and usually fade to lighter on the back half.

Probably a racer. Look at Tan Racer or Yellow Bellied Racer and see if that looks similar. They have large round eyes that can be very noticeable.

Wow- great call! Not that I expect anything less from
The OB. I was just out mowing and spotted it again, this time the back 1/2 too Tan Racer looks to be a positive ID. Not dark enough for a yellow belly, but the tan looks spot on. Pretty cool little guy, about 12-14" long. Eased him on his way to the back off the back porch to the back of our property, left to do snaky things.

Thanks for the assist!!!!
MouthBQ98
AG
First thief busted 2024…

MyNameIsJeff
AG
bigevent99 said:

Coachwhip? About 3', close to lake near Corsicana

Yes, good ID.
lch76
AG
Believe this is a rat snake, but would appreciate a more learned opinion.

Daughter and grandchildren a little freaked out right now.

Suspect was crawling along foundation and made it under the house before I could reach him. About 3 feet long.

Thanks for any replies!

Josepi
AG
While not a snake, I thought the group might like it. My kids found this three toed box turtle while hunting Easter Eggs. Had some cool color.
12f Mane
AG
Yep, ratsnake
Badace52
AG
Awesome... I believe Texas Parks and Wildlife is still tracking sightings of these guys. If you go to their website you could report that little guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sea Speed
AG
Badace52 said:

Awesome... I believe Texas Parks and Wildlife is still tracking sightings of these guys. If you go to their website you could report that little guy.

Its through inaturalist now. This exact convo happened last year when we found one as well.
HtownAg92
AG
Sea Speed said:

Badace52 said:

Its through inaturalist now. This exact convo happened last year when we found one as well.
We found a box chilling under one of our cars in the driveway last summer. We filled out the info for TPW and took him to the nature park in Bellaire.
JDGS612
Found one crossing the road this morning. Thanks for the heads up about letting TPWD know about them, we find one almost every year around this time it seems.
Burn-It
AG
Found a ~4 1\2' moult outside the shop today, Brazo County, south of CS. I'm guessing harmless.

AKA 13-0
MyNameIsJeff
AG
While there are a few here that can ID off certain scale characteristics, I'd put money on it being a rat snake.
zooguy96
Looks like my a shed from my corn snake. Probably as mentioned above a rat snake.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
bigevent99
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

bigevent99 said:

Coachwhip? About 3', close to lake near Corsicana

Yes, good ID.

Almost stepped on the little guy. Just hanging out in the grass next to the flower bed. Scared the hell outta me.
GE
AG
Brown snake?
ttha_aggie_09
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Sealy Little Bernard
Badace52
AG
That pic is cool as *****!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YellAgs
AG
DBWS and a broad banded?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Close. First one is PBWS/YBWS (left) and BBWS on right
Badace52
AG
YellAgs said:

DBWS and a broad banded?

Like ttha said. The cool part is they are both very young juvenile snakes.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Great picture! Young PBWS and BBWS as stated above.
12f Mane
AG
Great photo
BadAzzBohemian
AG
About 8-10" long.
swampstander
AG
Saw this little guy sunning on the stream bank. As I approached he slithered into the water and tried to hide among the debris. Western ribbon snake I think.
Trout
Ran across this guy and a Timber Rattler today… rattlesnake caught me off guard so no photo of him.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome! What county/area?
YellAgs
AG
Little rat snake decided to come into the yard. Guess i need to get rid of a food source.

Txgunrnnr
AG
YellAgs said:

Little rat snake decided to come into the yard. Guess i need to get rid of a food source.

Looks like he scared the poop out of someone!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
YellAgs
AG
Knew I'd get a comment about that
Sea Speed
AG
After never finding one in my life, we found our 2nd 3 toed box turtle in a year. Will post a picture later.
Rexter
Missed stepping on this nope rope by about a foot….

Stive
AG
Nice. How big was he?
nealan
https://images.app.goo.gl/oiR8a3F7nidr2aVF9

I don't know how to post a gif lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.