Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,303 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
JonSnow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally decided to buy and not build my first AR. Get a Troy 5.56 CQB optics ready carbine ($730) and put a Eotech 512 ($400) on it. Now just need to get it to the range.
dr_boogs
AG
Missed this reply, thanks eye guy. Appreciate the input. So ARP, Ranier, DD, who else goes in that mid range manufacturer group?
nealan
Along these same lines, I have a 300BO pistol that I'm 90% done building and I went with an 8.5" Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel. I know Eyeguy likes BA barrels, so I expect it to be a good one! On another note, I did a SBR in 6.8 spc with an 11.3" Wilson Combat barrel. Started the build over a year ago, have had the stamp for over a month and still haven't shot it.
dr_boogs
AG
thanks!
AverageJones
AG
Have a friend that needs cerakote on an AR in the Plano/Dallas area, where should I send him?
Puryear Playboy
AG
Got the new Primary Arms 1-6 in this week, finally had time to make a cocktail and throw it on a gun.

Very impressed with the glass. It looks good and clear and the specs are what you want with a good eye box, 1-6x and 110' of view on 1x at 100 yards.

Illumination is really good, daytime bright and very low (maybe close to NV low) at the bottom setting.

I don't own many 2nd focal plain scopes, but the price on this one, PA's great reputation and the fact that the reticle is in mils drove me to pick it up and give it a whirl.

The hold overs in the reticle are 1, 2 & 3 mils. Which with the 150 yard zero I run in short barrels with 77 grn OTM puts me right on the money at 300 (1mil) 400 (2 mils) and 500 (3 mils). Normally I like more data for wind and mid mil holdovers but for 3 gun and screwing around this reticle will work fine. For serious matches past 300 yards I wouldn't be running this 14.5 piston and this scope anyway. I have 16" and 18" guns with TacElite FFP 1-6 and 1-8x scopes.

But for hunting and matches inside 300, and maybe even social work if it holds up, this is a lot of scope for the money.

I don't work for PA. They are a sponsor and support my team...so, there's your disclaimer!

AgLA06
AG
Puryear Playboy said:

But for hunting and matches inside 300, and maybe even social work if it holds up, this is a lot of scope for the money.

I don't work for PA. They are a sponsor and support my team...so, there's your disclaimer!

???
BreNayPop
AG
I noticed the same 'sociao work' quote
Troy91
AG
AgLA06 said:

Puryear Playboy said:

???
AKA "Trunk Monkey"
Puryear Playboy
AG
Social Work. Never heard that term before? It's sort of like BBQ gun...but different.

Most stuff in the gun world is not worth betting your life on when it has to work the first time and every time. If it doesn't work when you need it, you have the rest of your life to solve the problem. Literally.

After shooting it this morning, I do like this scope. Curious to see how it holds up to being abused.
Duncan Idaho
I am a little slow. Social work means shooting people when your life isn't at risk?

Or taking widows and orphans to the gun range?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Best offset sights? I was going to get Diamondhead's D-45 sights to go on my Grendel build, but they aren't going to have any on the market until August/September. What would you suggest?

I'm also curious about thoughts on 16" vs 18" barrel lengths for my budget build .223 Wilde. I've heard there is a noticeable difference in sound, but is it worth it?
BreNayPop
AG
Im so desparately trying to buy all my ar desires before prices jump again that my wife is mad at me. Palmetto armory and primary arms better send me swag.

Ill post pics later.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone ever paint/dip their sig brace?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Was coming here to post the same. I was doing some googling last night and found some recommendations for automotive bumper paint due to ability to coat flexible surfaces, but didnt know if anyone here had had success with anything in the past.
dr_boogs
AG
Skelso just cerakote'd a grip and stock for me, I'm sure he could do a brace if you asked him. I thought you could only kote metal but I was wrong.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Anyone ever paint/dip their sig brace?
Some folks on another thread mentioned using RIT to do it. I believe it was the thread about the pink sig braces on sale but not for sure.
BreNayPop
AG
I just amazond some black rit dye (walmart was out) so i will tell ya soon hopefully.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Please post how that goes. I had seen mixed reviews on how well the dye takes to the rubber
BreNayPop
AG
I will. I know it works on pmags... hope same for this.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Never thought I'd find something to replace my MP5K clone.

Then I saw this picture.

35chililights
AG
Colt mags?
Why? Just the style?
35chililights
AG
Also, how much for the mp5 clone?
Naveronski
AG
Why that instead of a QC10 with Glock 9mm mags?
maverick2076
I love my AR9. Built it on a lower from Runner Runner guns. It takes Glock mags. It's handy, accurate, fun, and quiet with the suppressor.

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]
BenderRodriguez
AG
35chililights said:

Colt mags?
Why? Just the style?

So keep in mind I'm just exploring the idea because I saw the picture and liked it.

From what I've read Colt mag guns have less issues with BHO than the Glock mag versions, and I'm down to one Glock anyway so mag compatibility doesn't bother me too much.

One big change I would make from the pictured gun is a law folder.

But other than that, I like it a lot. Like my MP5k too though.....I don't know.

Add to it that Faxon is going to be coming out with match grade 6.5 Grendel barrels soon and I might want to do a LW Grendel build next instead and keep the MP5k.

I'm indecisive.

maverick2076
Mine doesn't have BHO, but it's not really a concern for me.

I'd go with Deadfoot Arms over the Law folder. You can fire the Deadfoot one while folded. If it had been around when I built mine I would have used it.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
maverick2076 said:

Mine doesn't have BHO, but it's not really a concern for me.

I'd go with Deadfoot Arms over the Law folder. You can fire the Deadfoot one while folded. If it had been around when I built mine I would have used it.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bevokilla
AG
I am looking to build on the Aero lower I bought from Eyeguy last year. What is the current best bang for the buck with an 18" barrel? Ideally would like to get in to 3 gun events once this is finished.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Still trying to learn about ARs.
Gas port sizing, is this list a good one? (not sure what it means if the port is bigger than stated for Super-sonic)

For a 16" Carbine 300BO upper, they say it has a 0.125" gas port. From the list that looks to be okay?

I have a standard blemed PSA carbine lower.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ballistic Advantage are my favorite bang for the buck barrel. Great price points for the quality
TheVarian
AG
Just finished this when EyeGuy sold me a lower

I really want that law tactical folder arm, next build
BenderRodriguez
AG
Big fan of Faxon barrels. Ballistic Advantage is also good, but Faxon is doing some neat stuff with barrel contours.
BreNayPop
AG
For those wondering, rit dye does not work on pink sig braces
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BreNayPop said:

For those wondering, rit dye does not work on pink sig braces

Thank you! Any other alternatives?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.