Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,680 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
BreNayPop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spray paint or cerakote.

And im gonna try spray paint soon.
The Wonderer
AG
Or just rock the pink brace.

"ARs for Areolas" has a nice ring to it.
BreNayPop
AG
I liked my pink brace and will leave it as is, but still want to have a black one
bevokilla
AG
This looks like a pretty good deal right? http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.m4e1-upper-receiver-and-gen-2-15-m-lok-handguard-combo-black-8-993

Eyeguy I checked your website but I could not find any Aero uppers on there so if you can match it I would prefer to buy it from you
AGricola08
AG
I am sure this has been covered here somewhere, but I did not find much using the search function. I want to build an AR pistol, but I am having trouble understanding all the rules around "constructive possession". If I have several stripped lowers, stocks, and other assorted parts.... how are you supposed to avoid constructive possession? All the rules seem problematic if you have extra parts... especially a lower with a stock on it on the premises. I know the chance of the ATF kicking down my door is small, but I would like to do things the right way.
DatTallArchitect
AG
AGricola08 said:

I am sure this has been covered here somewhere, but I did not find much using the search function. I want to build an AR pistol, but I am having trouble understanding all the rules around "constructive possession". If I have several stripped lowers, stocks, and other assorted parts.... how are you supposed to avoid constructive possession? All the rules seem problematic if you have extra parts... especially a lower with a stock on it on the premises. I know the chance of the ATF kicking down my door is small, but I would like to do things the right way.
If I understand correctly, all you need to do is screw a pistol buffer tube into the lower you are using for the build. Then you will have no issues stemming from the possession of a short barrel.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Don't overthink it.

If you have one pistol lower, you're good on as many short barreled uppers, parts, stocks, whatever that you want. I think the only position I would not want to be in is to own a short barreled upper and nothing but regular lowers with stocks installed on them.

If you're worried about it, build a pistol lower first, then build or order a short barrel upper.
BenderRodriguez
AG
And before the follow up question comes from someone, no, you can't "register" an AR lower as a pistol in Texas because we don't register guns. Just build a stripped lower into a pistol and go on with life.
AGricola08
AG
Ha! you nailed my follow up, I couldnt remember how my stripped lower was designated at my FFL ( or if it was at all)
bevokilla
AG
bevokilla said:

This looks like a pretty good deal right? http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.m4e1-upper-receiver-and-gen-2-15-m-lok-handguard-combo-black-8-993

Eyeguy I checked your website but I could not find any Aero uppers on there so if you can match it I would prefer to buy it from you

Anyone?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Not an FFL, but I'm pretty sure stripped lowers in Texas transfer as "other". An actual FFL might correct me though.
BenderRodriguez
AG
If that's the exact rail and upper you want it doesn't look like a bad deal.

I did notice that it was a Gen 2 MI rail and they're onto Gen 3 now? I don't know enough about their rails to know the differences or what makes the 3 or 2 better.

txyaloo
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Not an FFL, but I'm pretty sure stripped lowers in Texas transfer as "other". An actual FFL might correct me though.
You're correct. All lowers, stripped or otherwise, transfer as an "other". There are no "pistol" lowers unless the gun was a fully assembled pistol at the time of the transfer
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
bevokilla said:

bevokilla said:

Anyone?
I would call that a good deal. I don't have any aero stuff on my website because we just sell it in store. I do not stock their handguards, however.
BenderRodriguez
AG
MTxTwelve
I like that A4 build - looks good.
MTxTwelve
https://instagr.am/p/BVyAE0oD2TE
BenderRodriguez
AG
MTxTwelve said:

ACOG-less for now though.

I like it too, it's a soft shooter.

Part of that may be because it weighs more empty than the gun above it weights with a red dot, light, and a loaded D60.......
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

MTxTwelve said:

ACOG-less for now though.

I like it too, it's a soft shooter.

Part of that may be because it weighs more empty than the gun above it weights with a red dot, light, and a loaded D60.......
If you are ok with used, I have a pretty good deal on a used one... $900
BenderRodriguez
AG
TA31 RCO-A4 I'm assuming?

Tempting.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
If you have roughly $1k in bass pro or Cabelas gift cards (hotel reward points) and you really want an optic for night hunting pigs, do you go with the ATN Xsight II? Or do they have something else I should look at?

I really don't want to spend any money out of pocket, FYI.
Daddy-O5
AG
Just finished my first build, primarily Anderson components; upper, lower, barrel. What's a reasonable optic to put on it? Not really looking to spend more than a couple hundred bucks for a budget AR.
BreNayPop
AG
Red dot or scope?

I like the 1-6 primary arms acss reticle that bender mentioned before. I now have 5... and a 1-8x acss.

You can find all sorts of red dot deals going on if you keep your eyes peeled.
Daddy-O5
AG
Scope, most likely. I have a Ruger AR556 with a Red Dot and Magnifier set up. Being fairly new to the AR world I'm trying to diversify a bit, try out a few different things.

Thanks for the feedback.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If you have roughly $1k in bass pro or Cabelas gift cards (hotel reward points) and you really want an optic for night hunting pigs, do you go with the ATN Xsight II? Or do they have something else I should look at?

Low price NV... ATN XSight and Sightmark Photon XT are the two best bets. Photon is cheaper but you'll need a mount and they'll end up the same price after. With the X-sight, you are getting a more well rounded unit that works well during the day, works good at night, and has a TON of features plus a very generous field of view and screen size. The Photon works a lot better at night but is not very good during the day. It has a better refresh rate so the video is smoother but at the cost of lower resolution and smaller screen. Plus it's black and white only all the time whereas the ATN is full color HD during the day. Photon is significantly lighter, as well, but the X-Sight is heavier duty. At the end of the day, pick your poison which fits you the best but both are very serviceable units.
TheVarian
AG
I've been looking more at the Sig Sauer Romero designs a lot more recently. Haven't gotten to mess with one get, but hopefully others have played with it, Bueller???

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/sig-romeo
Daddy-O5
AG
I bought the 4a on sale. I am having some issues with the mount walking when firing. I remounted with loctite but had the mounting pin break off at the range on Sunday.

I'd like to say its user error but it couldn't be more straight forward to mount. I had another pin and remounted. Hope to make it back to the range this weekend for round 3. I'll let you know.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TheVarian said:

I've been looking more at the Sig Sauer Romero designs a lot more recently. Haven't gotten to mess with one get, but hopefully others have played with it, Bueller???

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/sig-romeo
Good units. Original ones were made by holosun but the newest ones are being built by sig in the US. Had to change when they got the FBI contract, I think.
Daddy-O5
AG
American Tactical Imports Omni Hybrid Maxx 5.56mm NATO Limited Edition with KeyMod Rail

Any thoughts on this rifle? Selling for $399.99
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So it would get the job done for limited night hog hunting (100-150yds)?

Thanks for the input
gibberish
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

American Tactical Imports Omni Hybrid Maxx 5.56mm NATO Limited Edition with KeyMod Rail

"fully-patented metal reinforced polymer upper receiver along with a fully-patented metal reinforced polymer lower receiver."

I get that it says "metal reinforced" but polymer upper.....No thanks.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

I'm wanting to do a $449 freefloat rifle like... soon. Wait.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Thanks for the input
Yep. Either would be just fine out to a little over 100yds. Past that, you'll want a better IR... but I can hook you up there with something cool.
txyaloo
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Low price NV... ATN XSight and Sightmark Photon XT are the two best bets. Photon is cheaper but you'll need a mount and they'll end up the same price after. With the X-sight, you are getting a more well rounded unit that works well during the day, works good at night, and has a TON of features plus a very generous field of view and screen size. The Photon works a lot better at night but is not very good during the day. It has a better refresh rate so the video is smoother but at the cost of lower resolution and smaller screen. Plus it's black and white only all the time whereas the ATN is full color HD during the day. Photon is significantly lighter, as well, but the X-Sight is heavier duty. At the end of the day, pick your poison which fits you the best but both are very serviceable units.
Don't forget - some of the advertised features on the X-Sight don't actually work, and once a new version comes out, they'll drop support for the X-Sight 2 very quickly.

I have 2 X-Sight 1s that still don't have all of their initially advertised features working.

The X-Sight 2 has really languished over the last year since the Thor came out.
txyaloo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Thanks for the input
If you get an X-Sight, buy the version with 3x magnification. The FOV on the 5x is much too narrow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.