Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

356,268 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by rlb28
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've made them countless times over the years. Always damn good!
whisperingbill
My sister tried these beans that I made yesterday, and she was amazed not only at how good they are, but that they were so easy and quick to make. She then tells me that her church is having a tamale dinner next Monday night and ask me if I would make the beans for the dinner. When I asked her how many people will be there, she said 100-110 is normal. So, my question is, how many times would I have to make this recipe to feed 100 people?
tree91
AG
Double it
tree91
AG
Truthfully, maybe tenfold? Not sure how you'd cook that much without a commercial setup. That's a lot of beans, and there's a lot of liquid that goes along with it. Good luck! You'll be the star of the show.
whisperingbill
they actually have a commercial type kitchen and a pot that would hold that much. I was thinking x10.
AgsMnn
AG
Just entered this recipe in our work cook off today. Cooked them on the pit while doing fajitas.

Got first place.
lurker76
Congrats.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Finally made these after watching this thread get continually bumped over the years. They good.
gigemJTH12
AG
At HEB picking up the goods for Mother's Day celebration tomorrow
gigemJTH12
AG
I am amazed every time I cook them. its maybe my favorite thing I cook. so damn good.
SoTxAg
AG
Yes, this should be the most starred post on the OB.
AggieBarstool
I just thought about adding this to the Weber grill/smoker.

How'd yours turn out?
AgsMnn
AG
It turned out great.

Just took longer to cook the bacon and onions down.
Happygilmore20
AG
I'm not saying Goode Co. Cantina uses this recipe, but their beans do taste exactly the same. Good Bull.
Signel
AG
Had a family member message me the other day and tell me the beans were a hit up in Wisconsin. Figures.. they think taco bell is Mexican food.

Anyway, I told the the full history of the famed Mexican Chef at the lease that taught B1 the recipe. I need a refresher on that story... Has this been up for like 15 years?
B-1 83
AG
The date was April of 2009……..Obama was President, we wore an onion on our belts (because that was the style of the time), I was still a humble USDA Agronomist, and my Biologist friend and I were helping with food plots near Laredo…..

The ranch owner was going to provide lodging for the evening before meeting us the next day. That part worked out fine, but when we arrived he sent a message that he was delayed in Mexico on another project, and he would send his personal cook to make us steaks and dinner that evening. We were shooting the breeze at the outdoor kitchen, when his cook (a former restaurant owner/cook in Laredo) broke out the ingredients. The rest is history as we watched in fascination as he prepared this ambrosia……
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
dstuckey4
AG
Finally made this for the first time today for a party. It got rave reviews. Some of the best beans I've had. Very easy to make. I'll be joining the club. Thank you to B-1 for sharing!
AgDad121619
AG
Bump
Stat Monitor Repairman
Been meaning to try this recipe with Zing Zang on somebody's recommendation above. The idea being there's less sugar.
AgDad121619
AG
Made them yesterday - great recipe. Still going strong for 14 years
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Enjoying some of these today. I shared the recipe with my mom a few years ago, and she periodically gets a random craving to make them, so I got some today.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Been meaning to try this recipe with Zing Zang on somebody's recommendation above. The idea being there's less sugar.

I've made this recipe a lot, and after experimenting with regular Clamato, the Lime, Picante, and Michelada flavored Clamatos, Zing Zang, and Bloody Mary mix, I have decided that I prefer the Michelada flavored Clamato the best. I like the briny note of the clam broth in the mix, and the Michelada Flavored Clamato adds a little bit of heat, chili powder, and lime notes for additional depth of flavor. As a result, I cut back to 2 serranos instead of 4 because the Michelada Clamato contributes some of the kick. I also started adding a couple of tomatillos to balance the sweet with some tart, some minced garlic, and some adobo seasoning, and think those mods amps up the flavor even more. Yeah I realize it isn't true to the original recipe, and there's certainly nothing wrong with the original recipe. To me though, my modifications take an already delicious recipe and takes it up another notch…. For my taste.
Thaddeus Beauregard
I'm very grateful B-1 posted this recipe! It truly is the best as-is, and it is also an excellent base recipe that adapts well to experimentation. My family and friends all love these beans!
WP69
AG
ArnieTex's pintos are pretty awesome.
lurker76
One more batch made, and one more big thank you to B1 for sharing the recipe with us.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Coincidentally, I just made a batch today to share tonight with my lease members in deer camp!
B-1 83
AG
Thaddeus Beauregard said:

Coincidentally, I just made a batch today to share tonight with my lease members in deer camp!
If I don't make them for deer camp I get sent to the crappy blinds and sleep in the barn.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
HUEY04
AG
I've made a few tweaks over the years but the base recipe is the same and they are excellent. I've probably made the recipe 50 times now and they never fail to get compliments.
Thaddeus Beauregard
I know; I'm so thankful I found this thread and thankful to B1 for posting the recipe. This has become a staple in my world, and the guys at deer camp keep asking for more of it! It amazes me that something so good is so simple to make!
LRHF
AG
Made these yesterday for the Durango, CO A&M watch party hosted at my place. They were a huge hit!

AustinCountyAg
Made it tonight for dinner with some jalapeño cheese cornbread. Forgot how simple and delicious the beans are. One of our favorite meals.
AquaCasaAg
AG
Making a pot tonight with some cornbread.

A good system cleanse before holiday festivities.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I've been asked to make this recipe many times & I'm making a batch now for a family gathering tomorrow. Looking forward to the family gathering & looking forward to the beans.
Texker
AG
Added the beans to Christmas dinner this year to go with the smoked turkey, ham, chorizo stuffing, corn souffle, mac n cheese and roasted broccoli. I hadn't made them in a while but they turned out damn good. One of my friends text me later and said they were the best charro beans he's ever had! He's not wrong.

Edit: This batch was truly exceptional. I did something a bit different. I made them the night before. Left them in the pot and reheated in the pot the next day, then transferred to the crockpot for serving. Also used Better Than Bouillon for the first time vs boxed chicken stock. I don't know if any of that made a difference, but they were so damn good!
GreasenUSA
AG
Just gettin' started! It's been at least 7 years since I last made this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.