Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

356,345 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by rlb28
Old RV Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedata said:

Try it! use Old Roy bacon if you have to
Think this stuff would work!?

aggiedata
AG
Yes! Great flavor!
Preacher 98
Pot on the stove for the hundreth time! This recipe has served me well over the years!
Hwy30East
Making a pot this morning!
BlueMiles
AG
This thread is more than ten years old now.
NC2001
AG
BlueMiles said:

This thread is more than ten years old now.
That's how good these beans are. They passed the test of time...
TxSquarebody
Made a batch this morning, for the first time, and just had a sample bowl...followed by another sample bowl! Definitely lives up to the hype!
EDIT: used a single giant can, doubled the cilantro and clamato, left everything else the same. Turned out fantastic!
lurker76
I'm putting together a pot for my Tex-pat daughter in Arlington, Va this afternoon. She's hosting family and Virginia friends. Due to the audience, we're only using 2 Serrano peppers, and I'm curious what the reaction will be.
jsdaltxag
What was the verdict on the correct size of large cans? I know Bush's has several sizes.
Txmoe
AG
About to try this recipe for the first time for family. I've read the entire thread but still have a few questions:
  • Do we have a definitive answer on the size of cans for beans?
  • Do I drain the beans before adding them to mixture?
  • Are serrano peppers like a box of chocolates? ;-)
RCR06
AG
53 oz can of beans or two 28 oz cans

I normally drain and rinse, but I don't know that it makes that big of a difference

Yes

Txmoe
AG
RCR06 said:

53 oz can of beans or two 28 oz cans

I normally drain and rinse, but I don't know that it makes that big of a difference

Yes

I appreciate the answers!!!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Made 1st pot tonight for family dinner. All around thumbs up. Went with jalapeno vs Serrano. Test batch on the family before I bring this to a dinner party Sunday. And they're damn tasty.

Shouldn't have waited 5 years to make these ...
Old RV Ag
AG
Bump
Eliminatus
AG
Annnnnnd.....I see this thread again. Which means my dinner plans have changed.

Does anyone else build their dinner AROUND these beans? As in, you decide to make the beans and then decide what to eat with them as the main course? (Assuming you aren't eating the beans AS the main course that is. If so, bro fist.)
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Made a batch yesterday to go with a brisket. Just finished some with my lunch today. As usual they were delicious.
polksalet12345
I'm throwing some dry beans in quart jars with this mixture. Should be interesting to see how it turns out canned.
All your base
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Made another batch of these a couple days ago with 3x the Serrano's. It was a little spicier than I was going for (on the upper end of comfortable) but damn good.

I've been mixing a pound or so of ham on top of the bacon to make it slightly heartier.
Old RV Ag
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Made another batch of these a couple days ago with 3x the Serrano's. It was a little spicier than I was going for (on the upper end of comfortable) but damn good.

I've been mixing a pound or so of ham on top of the bacon to make it slightly heartier.
Starting to sound like pork chili with beans. Just kidding. I've got to make these some day.
Alta
AG
I want to make these for the first time to go on a camping trip. How well do they remain good? Could I prepare at home and just reheat at camping site a couple days later.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Alta said:

I want to make these for the first time to go on a camping trip. How well do they remain good? Could I prepare at home and just reheat at camping site a couple days later.

I've made a batch and eaten on them for a week and I'm still here, FWIW... I don't think you would have any issues as long as they are refrigerated.
Alta
AG
Thank you - I figured that would be the case but have never used Clamato juice before.
polksalet12345
I'm having beans for supper, just beans
All your base
AgTech88
AG
It has probably been posted before, but these things make GREAT refried beans! We will make a double batch and eat off it for several days then make refried with whatever is left over. Not sure why but they end up having a thinner consistency than normal refrieds. If we want them a little thicker we will just mix in a can of refrieds.
NotalentAG
AG
B-1.....the beans were a hit.....again!
Ag_07
AG
Yep!

Made these for a gathering and the pot was completely empty and people were complementing me left and right.
Vernada
AG
I've been using this recipe for almost a decade now. It's the only way I "cook" beans. Everyone loves them. So dang good.
lazuras_dc
AG
How would y'all do this with raw or dried beans?

Embarrassed to say I've Never cooked beans before if they didn't come out of a can.
AgTech88
AG
lazuras_dc said:

How would y'all do this with raw or dried beans?

Embarrassed to say I've Never cooked beans before if they didn't come out of a can.
That is the beauty of this recipe - quick and easy no need for dry beans and soaking etc.! Just open a can......
lazuras_dc
AG
Ok let me clarify.... I've got a bag of dry beans from New Mexico given to me as a gift. Want to use this recipe. Any tips on how to "pre prep" ?
RCR06
AG
They're your beans do what you want. This recipe though is based on an amount of beans that comes out of a can. No doubt you could do this recipe with dry beans. There would probably be a little bit of trial and error to get the right ratio of clamato and peppers to the amount of dry beans you're using. I believe farther back in this thread several people have made this with dry beans before and posted about it.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yeah didn't realize Fido's is for dry bean. Going to try it out this week !
Eliminatus
AG
Got a big ole pot bubbling as we speak for tomorrow.

This recipe rocks. Super easy. Beyond tasty. It is my go to for sure. My only changes come from who I am making it for. A large group tomorrow, so scaled back the heat considerably. And I prefer to cook them the day before now and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Flavor is incredible after sitting overnight.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Will also add that this group I am doing this for are all virgins to this recipe. Will provide feedback from the newest batch of newbies. I expect it go the way of all the others...
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
With the change in the weather I decided to make some of these beans today. They're on the stove now.
SteveBott
AG
I made this for a buddy throwing a party for his daughter who was accepted to our school and FTAB. It was the hit of the party. Got rave reviews.

I also made the day before and soaked in the fridge overnight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.