Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

356,363 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by rlb28
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got me beans on as I watch the Aggies ply extremely average
lawless89
Putting together a pot of the famous OB beans. This will carry our family to thanksgiving!
BaitShack
AG
Batch going in!

B-1 83
AG
BaitShack said:

Batch going in!

Well done, grasshopper.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
BaitShack
AG
I'm also adding 4 big jalapeños. Trying to keep the heat down since I'm making it for the office.
lurker76
Make sure everyone knows about the Clamato juice. I made some for a 4th of July party a few years ago, and just before we served it up, I announced that if anyone has a seafood allergy, they shouldn't eat the beans. I found out my sister-in-law of over 50 years has a seafood allergy and couldn't eat them. I was very glad to let them know, and now always make sure to let the crowd know about it.
BaitShack
AG
lurker76 said:

Make sure everyone knows about the Clamato juice. I made some for a 4th of July party a few years ago, and just before we served it up, I announced that if anyone has a seafood allergy, they shouldn't eat the beans. I found out my sister-in-law of over 50 years has a seafood allergy and couldn't eat them. I was very glad to let them know, and now always make sure to let the crowd know about it.
10-4

I sent them the recipe in advance, and I may put a little sign by them. I started these on the stovetop but am finishing in the crock pot. I need a bigger pot when I make a double batch.

lawless89
I've used tomato paste as a substitute and they turned out just as good.
lurker76
We use V8 juice as a sub for the Clamato and it's very good. We also blanch the tomatoes to peel them before cutting them up.
B-1 83
AG
BaitShack said:

lurker76 said:

10-4

I sent them the recipe in advance, and I may put a little sign by them. I started these on the stovetop but am finishing in the crock pot. I need a bigger pot when I make a double batch.

You have snatched the coin from my hand. Now, you may leave.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Making these for a work function tomorrow.

Using V8 so I don't have to deal with the clam juice liability.

But I will cook them on the smoker to add another dimension of flavor, this always is a hit.
aTm '99
aggielax11
AG
Made these tonight, everyone loved them, TexAgs for the win!
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I have all my ingredients for Christmas day! Will make 2 batches, 1 mild and 1 with the serranos.
BigHead 04
AG
Making these to have with tamales Christmas Eve. I have always made them the original way. BUT I have a ziplock bag full of Chile pequins. Has anyone ever tried throwing some in?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
B-1 83
AG
I would be very cautious. A few of those can go a long way.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Making chili tomorrow and my custom Red Beans recipe Sunday. It took me almost (or maybe more than) 20 years to get that right and I think I finally did.
CCred92
AG
Sent the recipe out on a text thread a year ago. Went to a gathering last night and one of the guys brought these beans. They where very good.
AggieOO
Use zing zang. Not only do you not have to worry about allergies, the beans taste better.
Fleff
AG
Been making these for years, shared them with church group last night and they were a big hit.

On the allergy note, just be clear about what is in it. I am allergic to shellfish, but the most common shellfish is to crustaceans, not mollusks.
RCR06
AG
I don't have a shellfish allergy, but have wondered about this same thing as far as what affects shellfish allergies.
Ag_07
AG
New twist

So when I make these I cook the bacon first then the onions. This time is deglazed the bottom of the pot with some of Goya marinade I'm using for my beer can chicken that's on the smoker.

Splash of this to deglazed the bacon bits then add the onions. Smells amazing. Even added some to whole pot along with the Clamato.

Smells incredible as it's simmering.

BurnetAggie99
I use the BBQ Wife Bloody Mary mix. Its Aggie owned Texas made. Owner is Catherine Stiles wife of Shane Stiles who owns Stiles Switch BBQ.
B-1 83
AG
I will allow it.
B-1 83
AG
I will allow it.
FCBlitz
Still the best beans…..
Thaddeus Beauregard
I made the OP beans last week and thought they were delicious! I thought the heat level was just right for me, but it was a little too hot for my wife, so next time I make it with the intent of sharing with others who can't tolerate as much heat, I'll probably cut back to 2 serranos rather than 4.

The only deviations I made from the recipe as posted are that I cooked the diced serranos at the first step along with the onions so that it would toast them, and I added about a tablespoon of Adobo seasoning at the end to give a little bit of salt and garlic savory flavor.
AustinCountyAg
I"ve switched from using serrano's to throwing in a couple jalapenos whole instead. Easier to regulate the heat. Serrano's seem to be very hit or miss in terms of judging the level of heat.
AggieOO
AustinCountyAg said:

I"ve switched from using serrano's to throwing in a couple jalapenos whole instead. Easier to regulate the heat. Serrano's seem to be very hit or miss in terms of judging the level of heat.

What? Jalapeños are very inconsistent with heat. Some are essentially bell peppers, some burn your face off. Serranos are very consistent with their heat level.
texag06ish
AG
What size cans of beans are y'all using?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
ursusguy said:

If something tastes good, why complain or try to make fun of it?

It's been a few years, but of all the people to say that…
Thaddeus Beauregard
texag06ish said:

27 oz
AustinCountyAg
to each their own
GreasenUSA
AG
We love the big cans here.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Oh, also…it didn't specify in the recipe, but I drained all the excess liquid from the beans cans before pouring in the beans. Didn't want to dilute the flavor of the remaking ingredients or make it too soupy.
RCR06
AG
texag06ish said:

You want around 50 ounces total of beans. What I normally do depending on availability; 1 - 52 ounce can, 2 - 27 ounce cans, or 4 - 14 ounce cans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.