Outdoors
Sponsored by

Score this deer

30,130 Views | 320 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Colt98
RBoutdoors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe because I don't have everyone's camera footage at my house. Maybe because I am not all that worried about what he actually scores. Maybe because when you are laying in a road or stalking this deer you are more worried about getting closer and actually watching this deer than you are about getting it on film.

We weren't in the business of killing this deer. We wanted it to hangout and breed as much as possible. So the actual score made no difference.
aggzwin
AG
RB, I know yall werent going to kill it....after hearing Colt talk this deer up all last season I am just surprised that this is what it looks like...by the way....a couple of the posts above were not posted by me...Colt will know who posted them when he reads them so don't get me banned
MasterAggie
AG
Still laughing I just can't help it.
Colt98
AG
Master Ag your still around?
RBoutdoors
and still not adding anything to the conversation.
Cowtown Red
What, you two are like midget tag team wrestlers now?

Just about everybody who weighed in disputed your opinion that you posted a pic of a 170 class buck.
DVM97
AG
Cowtown....now that is some funny sh*t!!! I wish they were more like naked female mud wrestlers...then this thread would be more entertaining with pics that is.

DVM
txaggie02
AG

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 8/7/2008 2:54p).]
RBoutdoors
I'm the red one!!!!!!!!!

with 170" buck walking around on my property

[This message has been edited by RB1985cj7 (edited 8/6/2008 9:12p).]
Colt98
AG
Yep thats us.
Colt98
AG
Good I wanted to be the blue guy. Better package
txaggie02
AG
Dude, are you guys sitting on the couch next to each other?
RBoutdoors
No we are walking around holding giant magnets.
sunchaser
AG
quote:
Just got this in an email from a buddy. What do you guys think it will score?

mid 150's
high 140's
.........Colt 175......followed by mild laughter
.........RB 170-209....followed by huh
mid 150's
180....oops redo...151
150-155
170-180
150-160
high 140's to low 150's
high 140's
145-155
158-161
.............RB 167-183

Group A average.......153
Group B range.........167-209

[This message has been edited by sunchaser (edited 8/6/2008 9:18p).]
RBoutdoors
sunchaser if you are going to compare at least compare like facts.

Group A average 153
Group B average 175

Group A range 147-180
Group B range 165-183 (to include a 5% error either way)

I have stated numerous times that i didn't think this deer went 209. i even said it won't score near 190.

[This message has been edited by RB1985cj7 (edited 8/7/2008 8:38a).]
Bluebill
Im a guide on the Los Ponchos Ranch and I get paid to judge deer on the hoof. I have guided for a number of deer hunts in which book deer were taken. 12 over 180 and I would have to say this one scores between 179-184. He is deceiving for amatuer hunters but if you compare the throat patch and tarsals on the forehead you can get a good base estimate, 5 3/4. Also this allows us to determine the ear length, 6.25 (even if it is a semialert position which is what 90% of all deer keep their ears, not straigh out) Sorry Colt & RB yall have taken so much trash talk. Yall look to have good genetics. Don't let people who have never shot a deer above 130 tell you how to hunt.

[This message has been edited by Bluebill (edited 8/6/2008 10:03p).]
aggzwin
AG
nice first post
AGaddy
Colt98 I'm glad your not on my ranch hired to take trophies. You might be taking 145 class deer like that drop tine.
AgLawman
AG
Alright, Bluebill...use your "professional" hunting experience to score the whitetail in my post from earlier this evening.
Colt98
AG
I swear that I have no clue who bluebill is but thanks. I can promise you that I would have not spent the whole day defending myself so vigorously if I would not be so sure of this deer. Aggswin, if you like posting on Texags, you need to go to bed
Bluebill
159 & 147 1/2 respectively
Colt98
AG
WOW alright I'm tired of this. But I do feel the need to keep this going until opening day...
ursusguy
AG
I really don't care about score on deer, I just like nice looking deer. Yall have posted some really nice deer which to me means overall we've got some good management going on (or lots of intense deer farming) Granted, doubt I'll ever be able to afford to hunt deer like many of you are, but congrats on getting your deer there.

Just want to get in on a nice OB epic thread.
AgLawman
AG
Bluebill, the other thread...the "Alright, alright, alright...score this der" thread.
Post removed:
by user
Bluebill
I have finally had a chance to finish the post and no matter what the deer scores colt sounds to be a very immature hunter. I would say you have not been at this for too long or it is your hobby one time a year when you get out of the city.
Colt98
AG
Ya thats me alright. Did you clean any teeth today.
12thManStrength
AG
bluebill, dont come on here explaining how you know more than everyone else and then make an assumption that nobody has taken a deer over 130" (BTW, you are wrong). You lost all credibility right there and your words mean nothing.
Cowtown Red
Well, if we accomplished nothing else, at least bluebill has separated the ameteurs from the professionals.

so there's that.

Brick killed a guy.
Colt98
AG
Well I guess atleast we are together on one thing in this thread. Its good to know that I'm city folk.
WildcatAg
AG
quote:
I hate Aggie on Aggie hate.

So do I so I’ll offer a solution. I know nothing about scoring deer but I am a professional engineer with years of surveying experience. In other words, I’m good at measuring things. This is my first post on this thread so obviously I’m impartial and a neutral observer.

I hereby offer my professional services to resolve this dispute. I will come to your ranch and, using the latest in firearm technology, put the deer in a position in which proper measuring can take place. I will measure the deer using the latest in laser GPS technology to get the most accurate measurements. I will then prepare a report detailing the exact measurements of the deer’s rack and affix my P.E. stamp so that the measurements will be official. I will make the report available for all interested parties. Of course I’ll have to remove the carcass from your property to ensure you stay in compliance with local environmental and health regulations.

Since we’re all Ags here, I’ll offer my professional services for free. I’ll make this sacrifice for the good of my fellow Ags.
txaggie02
AG
I am impressed that it only took 6 pages before we got an offer like the one above.
Allen76
AG
great thread... I can imagine it with beer and campfire (but no computers).

If I saw the deer in the first pic, I would let it go. If I saw it as in the second pic, I would consider shooting it. That's how different it looks to me even though it is the same deer.
watty
AG
It is true that the second picture looks way better than the first.

That being said, I'll throw my inexperience into the ring here. When I first looked at it, I put it between 150-155.

After reading the thread that seems to be the majority opinion as well. Will be curious to see if the majority is wrong or right.
12thManStrength
AG
Even though we are arguing, or agreeing to disagree, I do think that is a helluva deer and i would shoot it if i had the opportunity. i just want to clear that up. And Colt, i hope you prove all of us wrong that are guessing it around 155-165.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.