Outdoors
Sponsored by

Score this deer

30,126 Views | 320 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Colt98
Colt98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tine lenght numbers on the mule deer are not to much different then the drop tine buck, a little longer. The drop tine buck has longer beams and a little more mass.
MasterAggie
AG
Seriously stop please. You really shouldn't be doing this.
FSGuide
Other than both having antlers, there is nothing similar between the Mulie and the original WT buck.
Dynastar97
I don't know jack squat about scoring deer, but I just wanted to say that's an awesome mule deer Sunchaser. Just a beautiful rack.
Cowtown Red
Now THAT'S a 170, chaser.

Awesome!
Colt98
AG
Ok this is where I call you out and want to meet you behind the bar and kick your ass.
MasterAggie
AG
You'd have better odds at that than scoring a deer correctly!

HeHeHe!
RBoutdoors
can someone please tell me how wide this deer is?

Colt98
AG
Mule Deer White Tail
G1 - 1.5 G1- 3
G2 - 15 G2- 10
fork -10 g3- 10
G3- 4 G4- 7

Total 30.5 30 Man there's so much of a difference

Mass 18 18

BLength 23 27

Spread 30 25

Score 173 175

So just looking at the Mule deer I scored it at 173(I know he scored 171, awsome deer btw). So I might be off a couple of inches on the drop tine but not 10 of 15 inches.

Though I have never actally shot a 170in deer(my best grossed 162), I have the privalage to go to 2 ranches that I get to watch a lot of bucks, many going in the 160's, and a few larger. This buck almost walked on top of me and I konw he is bigger than every 160in buck I have every seen or laid my hands on. 2 years ago I was lucky enough to take a 138in 8 pointer at a buddies ranch in tilden and I can promise you that this buck is 25 to 30 inches bigger. Anyway, Thats all.

[This message has been edited by Colt98 (edited 8/6/2008 10:05a).]

[This message has been edited by Colt98 (edited 8/6/2008 10:08a).]
Colt98
AG
AggWin I need you left nut.
Cowtown Red
The original picture is a very nice deer. Very nice indeed.

It's not a 170.
MasterAggie
AG
This is hilarious.
aggzwin
AG
Colt, not a single person on here thinks that deer is 170 and who cares how wide the 8 pt is. If the deer is 25" versus 22" that is only 3 B&C points, big deal. The width does not really have much to do with it scoring what you say it does unless your trying to justify 27" beams.
Colt98
AG
Its hilarious because ya'll are all wrong.

BTW, RB I can not find those binoculars that are in that last pic.
Colt98
AG
Brent if this buck doesnt have 27 in beams then your 7 point doesnt have 27in beams. Thats what I'm saying. The picture is distorting the this buck BIG TIME. The pic makes him look like a litte 125 pound deer, where he is probably pushing 170 in the first pic. I would not be able to put my hands around this bucks base. A buck with Marginal mass,4.5in,(Master Ag), you would be able to do that. This thread has become very comical, but you guys are way off on this one. It really doesnt matter. If RB would have just shot him like we told him to, we would have been able to score him on the ground.
aggzwin
AG
Colt, maybe it is bigger than every 160 buck you have seen...it might be 165...but it is not 170+ and damn sure not anywhere near 180-200, much less 209.
aggzwin
AG
the 7 point I shot does not have 27" beams, who said it did? I think they were 24"
Cowtown Red
Lot of people here with a lot of experience judging deer who don't think it's anywhere close to 170.

Hard to believe they'd all be wrong.
aggzwin
AG
just saying that you have had people score this thing anywhere from 170-209 is comical...how the hell do you get a 39 point variance on one buck and supposedly all these people have seen the deer?? Seriously, that is comical.
Cowtown Red
for reference, the following buck scored 153:

Cowtown Red

These are deer that were actually scored. Both more impressive than the deer in the original photo.
Colt98
AG
One, I never scored the deer anywhere near 200in. Thats crazy talk. As for those bucks just posted the first one might have 21 in beams. No tine over 8-9 inches. The second is closer, but doesn't have the same mass,beams, and spread. I can admit that the buck might be a shade under 170 but no way it is less than 165 in. They only measurement I think I could be off is the beam lenght. But not by more than 2 in.

[This message has been edited by Colt98 (edited 8/6/2008 11:09a).]

[This message has been edited by Colt98 (edited 8/6/2008 11:13a).]
Colt98
AG
I would guess the only reason you say those 2 bucks arfe better is b/c they are on your wall. Other than that, you really have no base for an argument there. The second buck is atleast a little closer.

Also looking at that big 8. If you throw 2-5 in G4 on him and give him about 5 more inches of spread and 2-4 more inches on each beam, then we would be looking at the same deer.

[This message has been edited by Colt98 (edited 8/6/2008 11:16a).]
TexAg115
AG
Looks like you have a mission this season. Post the real numbers when you get them.
RBoutdoors
Like i said, there was Jack Daniels involved in the 209. Like I said i don't think he is going to score anywhere near 190. But he sure as hell ain't gonna score 145-150. 209 is just as ridiculous as 145. The mass, spread, and beams are going to be way higher than what you guys are talking about.

We might have a chance at him this year if the poachers or the oil guys didn't shoot him when we weren't looking. You gotta love a thread that gets everyone so damn excited about deer that they are cussing each other.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
The pic makes him look like a litte 125 pound deer

No he doesn't. Stop trying to justify your distorted score. The deer does not score near what you think it does.
12thManStrength
AG
We need to start more threads like this one for more discussion on scoring deer. It is good practice. November cant get here soon enough!
HCHunter
S
The second deer posted by Cowtown Red will easily outscore the original deer on this thread. The spread maybe about the same, but the second deer has him on mass and tine length for sure.
Colt98
AG
Clean your glasses off. There is no way he scores less than 165 inches, and I'm still standing by my 170ish score, and the fact that I can pretty much out score any of you guys on here. Well atleast Aggswin. I will not rest until you give in.
RBoutdoors

How can you put these two deer side by side and say that the droptine buck scores 147?
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
A buck with Marginal mass,4.5in,(Master Ag), you would be able to do that

Have you seen how many deer are in B&C with what you call "marginal mass". By the way your use of 4.5" can cause you some scoring problems as antlers are measured in 1/8s not halves, quarters, or .

quote:
How can you put these two deer side by side and say that the droptine buck scores 147?

Seriously? You see a similarity? The one cow posted blows the other deer away. WHat a joke.

[This message has been edited by MasterAggie (edited 8/6/2008 11:36a).]
HCHunter
S
Because the "true" 165 deer has atleast a good ten inches of tine over the other and carries his mass all the way out unlike the drop tine deer. I mean take alook at the tines alone. The brow tines alone gives a good 5-6 inches above the other.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
I can pretty much out score any of you guys on here.
Cowtown Red
I don't want to give the impression that I harvested the deer in those pics. In my wildest dreams, particularly the clean 10 that scored 165.

I just offered those for the sake of comparison. Given the measurements on those deer (and why would anyone short-change the score?), there's no way the original deer is 170, or even 160.
HCHunter
S
All I know is whatever units of measurment you are using, I would like you to come score the deer on our ranch cause according to your scores, we would be light years ahead in our management program.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.