world of warships closed beta

14,200 Views | 296 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jabber, I detest the Omaha. It's really not an AA carrier, it was meant to be a light scout cruiser and is very good at that role.

This new obsession with using the cap points like barrels in a barrel race has made that role irrelevant IMO.

I just got out of a game, the bulk of our cruisers had made for c, so myself and a phoenix moved in near b to scout, along with a DD. We had nearly there whole team lit up, half burning..... and the DD sends a team message "what in the hell?". ALL the BB's, and cruisers have gone ALL the way south to c, and are just starting to turn north...... and are heckling us for not following the lemming train south. I just cannot fathom why the slowest ships in the game would go all the way a point that is not under attack, and then derp around there.

Sorry, I've ground about 25000 xp out already tonight, and have kinda had it up to the gills with the summer crowd. I liked playing the omaha and phoenix when they could scout, and make snap shots. Not enjoying them at all when i can never get close enough to drop fish...
redline248
AG
There are so many idiots that play this game. I was in a battle where I went to C with 3 other ships. By the time I died, I look at the map and those other 3 ships all turned around and joined the rest of my idiot team way back in our spawn. One other destroyer died in a cap point. All the points had been taken and the game ended like 1000-200, and only like 5 total ships killed. I couldn't believe it.
Ag_of_08
AG
btw if anyone wants to play I'm on, teamspeak is active
redline248
AG
I'm done for tonight.
Ag_of_08
AG
I just charged through the middle of the map in my grem. , wrecked there carrier, pulled up next to an afk myogi, and torp'd him at 500 yards!
Kampfers
AG
Dropped the connection. Guess I'll call it a night. Was having a good game despite the ridiculous lag, absolutely crushed that one BB.
Ag_of_08
AG
That was a bad ass salvo

I'm 2200 xp away from my cleveland, gotta keep going for a few lol
Ag_of_08
AG
jesus hopscotch christ. 41500 xp in one night...... I'm going to bed! Cleveland is MINE
javajaws
AG
I had a crazy good game in a Clemson last night - it was near the end of the match and we were down 5 ships to 3...me and 2 carriers. I ended up destroying 2 battleships solo (they were running together) and then another cruiser for a total of 4 kills while the carriers finished off the other 2 ships.

Sometimes in a DD you make one bad move and you're a detriment to your team. Then other times...
redline248
AG
If those battleships have the guns facing the wrong way, by the time they see you it's to late.
Ark03
AG
quote:
I had a crazy good game in a Clemson last night - it was near the end of the match and we were down 5 ships to 3...me and 2 carriers. I ended up destroying 2 battleships solo (they were running together) and then another cruiser for a total of 4 kills while the carriers finished off the other 2 ships.

Sometimes in a DD you make one bad move and you're a detriment to your team. Then other times...
My win percentage in my Clemson is hovering right at 50%, so I guess I'm a detriment to my team as often as a positive factor.

In my last game in a Clemson, I ended up with me, a carrier, and a battleship, with their entire fleet steaming towards us from the left flank. Our carrier was out of planes, so not much he could do. I snuck up and popped a cruiser, then someone got a spot plane up and started constantly spotting me. I waited around an island so I couldn't get shot, and asked the battleship what his plan was.

He said "Follow Me", then charged at them Leroy Jenkins style, and during the distraction I popped out and unloaded both sides of my tubes. I sank a battleship and another cruiser, but at 2km I couldn't get away from the salvos of the other battleships.

redline248
AG
Finally unlocked the Cleveland
AcctAg11
AG
Has anyone played the Furutaka yet? (Tier 5 Jap Cruiser)

Its a pretty hard ship to play, pretty low ceiling I think, due to the slow reload and only slightly larger than normal cruiser guns (6x200mm, I believe). Its great if you can engage enemy cruisers at <8km because the AP shells eat them pretty fast, but the 16 second reload just makes it so tough to get out as much damage every game as, for example, an Omaha can.

It is good for one thing though: charging head on against a lone enemy BB. Its unlikely, especially if they have AP loaded (which most have learned to do by tier 5) that they get any meaningful damage on you, due to the angle and narrowness. Then just pull up and torp them. Works surpsingly well, though you absolutely have to hit your torps or its game-over.

Almost through the grind to the Aoba, which I hear is much better.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
Finally unlocked the Cleveland
I liked the Cleveland better in CBT. They did something to it to make it worse. But to be fair, it was probably OP through most of CBT. Now it has longer shell travel time, I believe, which makes it tougher to play at long ranges. The AA is still insane on it, especially with the AA consumable.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
quote:

My win percentage in my Clemson is hovering right at 50%, so I guess I'm a detriment to my team as often as a positive factor.

In my last game in a Clemson, I ended up with me, a carrier, and a battleship, with their entire fleet steaming towards us from the left flank. Our carrier was out of planes, so not much he could do. I snuck up and popped a cruiser, then someone got a spot plane up and started constantly spotting me. I waited around an island so I couldn't get shot, and asked the battleship what his plan was.

He said "Follow Me", then charged at them Leroy Jenkins style, and during the distraction I popped out and unloaded both sides of my tubes. I sank a battleship and another cruiser, but at 2km I couldn't get away from the salvos of the other battleships.

Try focusing on being a DD-killer with your Clemson and its guns, with a secondary role of being an ambusher or creating area denial with torps. It really excels in that role. Let the Jap DDs focus on the enemy BBs, unless you see an opportunity to sneak up close to one (usually when hes closer to an island than he should be and you can come up right on him undetected).
Ganondorf
AG
Something definitely changed since CBT. I had almost 80 hits and did all of 18k damage last night. Only 6 of those caused fire for 3k damage.

Big departure from closed beta.
redline248
AG
I think there might be a bit of randomness involved. Last night in the Omaha I was using AP shells and hit 8 citadels to kill 2 cruisers and a destroyer. The very next game using AP again, I had about 50 hits and no citadels or kills vs other cruisers of the same ilk.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Omaha is not an AA defender like the Cleveland (but then again, nothing really is that I am aware of), but the American torps are pretty much useless. I think I only got one, maybe two, good salvos off at a BB that actually was effective. And that was only thanks in part to a friendly DD using smoke and islands to our advantage. Other than that, with as many guns as it has and the quick reload rates it can be an effective DD killer.

Scouting points is pretty much pointless with anything since no one in the game seems particularly interested in actually capping points. At all. People would rather slug it out and end up in a full out defeat with all ships sunk apparently, which is kind of a bummer.

Regarding BB's doing some of the dumbest **** I have seen in game, I was in a match and a DD and another cruiser went to try and at least cap a point and a BB was (read was) following us to the cap point. It was a New York class, so they can fire a pretty good distance. I wouldn't have had an issue with it standing back and lobbing shells onto targets at a distance (even if it was just to try and deny the cap point scoring a lucky hit every now and again) but that wasn't what happened. About 3/4 of the way there, the BB decided that he would rather do figure eights and then get nailed by an enemy DD by torps that snuck around through the islands and BB that was actually advancing rather support us on the cap point. When we actually got to the cap point and were trying to just evade torps from DD's and Jap cruisers, we were left with our asses flapping in the wind. We lost that round, badly.

I've pretty much come to believe that some of the worst players end up playing in in BB's. They either stay at the spawn or decide to go off and do their own thing rather than support the team.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
The Omaha is not an AA defender like the Cleveland (but then again, nothing really is that I am aware of), but the American torps are pretty much useless. I think I only got one, maybe two, good salvos off at a BB that actually was effective. And that was only thanks in part to a friendly DD using smoke and islands to our advantage. Other than that, with as many guns as it has and the quick reload rates it can be an effective DD killer.

Scouting points is pretty much pointless with anything since no one in the game seems particularly interested in actually capping points. At all. People would rather slug it out and end up in a full out defeat with all ships sunk apparently, which is kind of a bummer.

Regarding BB's doing some of the dumbest **** I have seen in game, I was in a match and a DD and another cruiser went to try and at least cap a point and a BB was (read was) following us to the cap point. It was a New York class, so they can fire a pretty good distance. I wouldn't have had an issue with it standing back and lobbing shells onto targets at a distance (even if it was just to try and deny the cap point scoring a lucky hit every now and again) but that wasn't what happened. About 3/4 of the way there, the BB decided that he would rather do figure eights and then get nailed by an enemy DD by torps that snuck around through the islands and BB that was actually advancing rather support us on the cap point. When we actually got to the cap point and were trying to just evade torps from DD's and Jap cruisers, we were left with our asses flapping in the wind. We lost that round, badly.

I've pretty much come to believe that some of the worst players end up playing in in BB's. They either stay at the spawn or decide to go off and do their own thing rather than support the team.

BBs suffer the same fate as Heavies do in WoT: the bad players think they are the best in the game and therefore flock to them. It doesn't help that BBs are arguably the hardest class to play well (neck and neck with DDs, in my opinion.
Ag_of_08
AG
I've actually gotten several kills with my torps. The trick is using islands to shield with, and suprising them at close range.

BB drivers have this amazing habit of driving in straight lines! I don't get it! If your turrets are pointed to port, circle to starboard and keep them facing out in a defensive fire arc. With MOST torpedoes, if BB's would take minimal evasive actions, they could get up into a fight without dying.

I sank an enemy CV with my Grem. the other night, then jumped a NY because he did exactly that. Had he swerved AT ALL, He would have had me stone cold, inside his secondary batteries range, in a DD with 500 health left. Instead he caught a face full of all 8 of my torpedoes right amidships, and made a SPECTACULAR explosion when he detonated. I have never seen someone get that pissed off over being sunk in my life!

BB's are tons of fun....but they need to move together, focus fire, and GET IN THE FIGHT. Just like WOT heavy players who refuse to do anything, BB play is killing the game atm.

I will say I think things are improving. The tier 3 grind in BB's is so awful, and they're holding people in the 3-4-5 bracket so long, that the ones making it up into 5 and 6 are actually figuring it out, or golding themselves up......which is an epic fail!

I'm kinda sad and glad they pulled the warspite, and haven't added any knew tier 6-8 BB's to the shop. I'd very much like to see USS Texas in the game at tier V as she sits now, and see a tier 8 or so BB in the gift shop. I' considering that japanese cruiser atm....
javajaws
AG
quote:

BB's are tons of fun....but they need to move together, focus fire, and GET IN THE FIGHT. Just like WOT heavy players who refuse to do anything, BB play is killing the game atm.

Yeah, too many BB players try to outflank the opponent with their BBs...as in outflank all the way to the edge of the map. Leave that to the faster cruisers and DDs...because once you make it there in a BB you have pretty much removed yourself from the rest of the match as everybody else moves to the points away from you. Here's looking at you Mr New York from last night.

I just love watching these stupid BBs chase a cruiser to the corner of the map then after FINALLY killing him turn around and realize they get to miss the rest of the match and cause their team to lose.
redline248
AG
You can really see a loss coming after the first minute when ships start moving around. When the battleships that spawn between B and C start moving toward A...pisses me right off.
Knife_Party
I haven't been on in a couple of weeks, but I pretty much went to playing BB's exclusively. I am probably 20% of the way from tier 6 to 7. You are right in that most bb players are ****ing retarded. When I spawn, I usually go ahead half and wait for people to start moving because I don't (and really can't be if I want to live/win) want to be the only ship that goes one direction because I usually end up facing the entire enemy team solo.

The thing that pisses me off the most about fellow bb players, is occasionally, I will be with a small group heading towards a cap point or around an island towards a cap on the other side and we'll see the enemy team. I'll bring my side perpendicular to them, fire all my guns, and then pull off and "juke" while I wait for a reload. I usually try to stay in the same general range spot or get closer if I can during this time. I then look behind me only to see the other bb or two have turned around and headed towards the edge of the map OUT OF ****ING RANGE. This then leaves me to get focused by the enemy team at that point because I'm so big and slow. If you are a bb and get into a fight, you freaking have to go in. Do what you can to juke, but don't run away! You leave your teammates to die and chances are you won't be able to run away anyway because you are so slow.
Ganondorf
AG
Flight is way more prevalent than fight with online players. Just too scared of dying.
redline248
AG
So, am at a bit of a crossroads. I am about 100k credits from being able to afford the New York. However, I'm wondering if I should just spend my time saving for the tier 6 Japanese destroyer or the tier 6 American carrier.

By the way, I hate that in the Bogue you have no choice for 1 fighter, 2 torp bombers. One of the options is zero fighters. That seems really stupid.
wee_ag
AG
FYI - Pre-download for Xbox One available. Release date is July 28.

Linkie

I Like Mike
AG
quote:
FYI - Pre-download for Xbox One available. Release date is July 28.

Linkie

PS4?
Ag_of_08
AG
Personally.....it depends!

Do you like playing battleships? I loved my NY in CBT.

Do you have something you're good at making a profit with now? it helps, a lot.
Knife_Party
I have the Mexico now. Like most ships, it gets better once you have the upgrades. It's a pretty damn solid ship when you do. I make quite a bit of money on this baby, though I do occasionally have a string of bad luck. The real problem with the Mexico is that you won't want to head to tier 7. The other lines might be better.

Also...I freaking love the sound of its guns. It just says raw ****ing power.
Ag_of_08
AG
Give it a chance with the BB Line. I fully expect them to hit with a new patch, and split the colorado out to the BC line where it belongs, split the cruiser line and bump the cleveland to tier VIII, and introduce the brits VERY soon
AcctAg11
AG
I did really well with the South Carolina and especially the Wyoming, but I have yet to have a good game in the New York. Probably just bad luck and poor positioning on my part, but it feels very different from the Wyoming. The citadel hits are very nice. Been spending more time working up to Mahan and the Aoba, both which I only need a couple more games to get.
Ag_of_08
AG
And remember, the NY is the class of the USS Texas
javajaws
AG
OK, this is my one and only rant of the day..had a 6 kill game last night and totally dominated my side of the map and captured both flags on my side (the 5 flag one where your forces are split up at the beginning). Idiot BB players still won't commit and get left out of end game. And what's up with stupid DD players who won't capture a flag literally a couple kms from their position and instead go CV hunting?!? When they are the ONLY one close enough to do so and prevent us from losing?!? I made 240k credits in that game but only 1k exp because of the loss. The only enemy ship left was a CV and all our DD had to do was capture the 2 points right next to him.
Knife_Party
Just played a game in my mexico for first time in a few weeks. Damn I forgot how satisfying it is when it plays the sound effect for sinking a ship.

It feels like scoring a touchdown.
Ag_of_08
AG
I actually had a decent game in my Wyoming last night. The cruisers suicided, the other b's went **** all off on the wrong side of the map. Between one dd and myself we had 6 kills and quite a few base defense. We lost, but I felt like I actually contributed. I was the first bb in range, and only one other even did damage.

Honestly the multiple cap points and ticket system is not going to work in this game. It requires teamwork that these smucks are not willing to put out. It requires games where YOU may not do a ton of experience and damage, but you keep the carrier alive, or the bb's alive, and get the win. Just not a setup that's gonna work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.