Mario Kart 8

7,617 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bryan98
Barry Kripke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Split screen currently.
MSCAg
AG
http://www.ibtimes.com/mario-kart-8-release-date-here-game-increases-wii-u-sales-666-percent-uk-1593251

Apparently MK8 is saving the Wii U.
Vade281
AG
Just wait until Smash hits. It'll really skyrocket.
bthotugigem05
AG
Wish there was some reward for getting three stars in every cup
CrottyKid
AG
Nintendo could make a killing if they just became a game company and made Mario games for Xbone and PS4.
Saxsoon
AG
They already make a killing.

quote:
Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank – enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there’s almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out – we’re in the year 2075 by this point – they’ve got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business.
Saxsoon
AG
Also we are talking Japanese culture here, those are in-house creations and there is a lot of honor attached to those creations. In my experience with another Japanese company I negotiate with, they want to do well, but the drive for profits isn't as strong as American companies. The company I work with wants to stay in business for its employees, not the shareholders. This is just one company obviously, but just my take on it.
Saxsoon
AG
Just bought a WiiU and Mario Kart and I had 4 days left to download one of the 4 games. Was able to pick up Zelda Wind Waker. So excited to have that game to play in HD
stark_ag
AG
quote:
Just bought a WiiU and Mario Kart and I had 4 days left to download one of the 4 games. Was able to pick up Zelda Wind Waker. So excited to have that game to play in HD

Great choice. Tip: hit up the auction house on Windfall right after the dragon roost dungeon. They added something to the remake that helps a lot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Even though I don't have one, I do plan on getting a Wii U when Smash Bros hits. I'll end up getting one anyway for the new Zelda, so might as well.
chipotle
Bought one on Friday, purchased and downloaded Mario kart and downloaded wind waker.

As far as mario kart is concerned as soon as I finish getting three stars on everthing (tedious chore in 50cc and 100cc) and get some practice on time trials then I'm going to give the online world a shot.

network id: kwahhn
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely want to get Wind Waker HD eventually. Love that game.
agfan2013
AG
quote:

As far as mario kart is concerned as soon as I finish getting three stars on everthing (tedious chore in 50cc and 100cc)

Anything you do in a harder class carries on to the lower. If you get three starts in the mushroom cup on 150cc it will show you got 3 stars in the 100cc and 50cc classes as well.
chipotle
Dammit, wish I knew that before I started playing. Oh, well. Used those races to get a feel for all the charactors and kart combos.
Saxsoon
AG
I am pretty much just sticking with Yoshi. For some reason always been happy with him and prefer the lighter classes with the acceleration and I just add some speed boosting parts.

Just got 3 stars on 50cc everything and am pretty happy with it. I got an 8GB used so I wasn't able to download Windwaker to the system itself. Was able to download to a USB flashdrive no problem though.
agfan2013
AG
My favorite racers are either heavy or medium class. Metal mario, DK, and luigi. Yeah, i was using luigi before it was cool when his death stare went viral.
Charpie
AG
I want this game badly, but the child is REALLY into Sonic, so I need to finish that racing game first.
chipotle
After my tireless adventures in experimentation through the 50cc and 100cc races I'm sticking with Roy(despite his Bill Cosby voice overs).
Barry Kripke
AG
Bowser with Circuit Special - Slicks - Clouds
stark_ag
AG
Take a look at Yoshi with the circuit special, cyber slick tires, and MK8 parafoil. I've found combos that race better, but I use the listed parts because they look too cool to pass on. I call it "the Buzz Lightyear".
chipotle
New DLC available, plus new tracks in November and sometime next year.

Downside, doesn't look like they've added any battle arenas. Thumbs down.
Saxsoon
AG
Using Rosalina right now with cloud parafoil, comet, and the red tires. Does pretty well and I like the interior drifting.
Seven Psycho Ags
This is a really good dlc deal. IIRC, 12 bucks gets you 8 racers and 16 courses. Some of the racers are Zelda themed too I think
agfan2013
AG
quote:
This is a really good dlc deal. IIRC, 12 bucks gets you 8 racers and 16 courses. Some of the racers are Zelda themed too I think

You mean there's better DLC deals than CoD's $15 for 4 maps (one likely a remake)?

Seriously though, will be getting the DLC. Still using pretty much the same racers, my favorite tracks are the old school rainbow road, the airport, and the snowy downhill one that I can't remember the name of.
Barry Kripke
AG
Awesome DLC deal.

fav track is thwomp.
Seven Psycho Ags
quote:
You mean there's better DLC deals than CoD's $15 for 4 maps (one likely a remake)?

You've been abused by the gaming industry! Here, have a seat and I'll get you a glass of water.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Awesome DLC deal.

fav track is thwomp.

My 2.5 year old son is constantly telling my daughter (now 5) and me to play this track. He calls it "the bad guy one". I guess those Thwomps look like bad guys.He will literally start doing this right after we finish a race on this course.

Totally forgot about this thread. Man, this game is the best Mario Kart ever, and I've played them all except for the GBA version. Absolutely would buy a WiiU just for this game. The only other game I've purchased is Super Mario 3D World, which is also fantastic, and miles better than New SMB WiiU. 3D World might be the best SMB game ever, and if you value co-op play at all (as I do with my daughter), it's clearly the best.

The news on the DLC was so incredibly good I was nearly moved to tears. More new tracks than I could hope for, and they're finally opening it up to drivers from other Nintendo properties (although Wind Waker Link would be a better fit). Even Dry Bones Bowser is someone I had been wishing for. This is great, great news. The price is ridiculously low. Bizarrely, the thing my daughter was most excited about was different colored Yoshis.

Only complaints are how far out DLC 1 is, and then DLC 2 is basically the first anniversary of the game's release. Also, no "real" Battle Mode is a big bummer.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the new races will be half old, half new, as you might have expected, and that the only confirmed race is Wario's Gold Mine from Wii. My daughter and I celebrated the DLC announcement by firing up Mario Kart Wii and racing on Gold Mine. Not an amazing course, but tons of pre-existing verticality that they can push further with the new anti-grav feature.

TLDR: Mario Kart 8 is utterly fantastic, best ever, would buy a Wii U just for this.
Charpie
AG
I went ahead and bought this game this weekend. Already went through and got the 50cc stuff. It felt easier than the original Mario Kart on the Wii. I got the Mercedes Benz stuff. How do I download the other tracks?
Saxsoon
AG
50CC and 100CC were easier than past games. I am currently stuck on 3starring everything in 150CC. There are 2 cups that just kill me at the last second and I bump down to 2nd-5th. This feels a lot more brutal than other MarioKarts. There is one cup I have already put several hours in that is slowly draining my soul. Ironically the Rainbow Road cup (new) I 3 starred on the first try (thank you bullet bill going from 7th to 1st) on the 3rd lap).
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I went ahead and bought this game this weekend. Already went through and got the 50cc stuff. It felt easier than the original Mario Kart on the Wii. I got the Mercedes Benz stuff. How do I download the other tracks?

The new tracks don't come out until Nov and May. If you pre-order all of them now for just $12, you get different color Yoshis and Shy Guys immediately.
chipotle
quote:
50CC and 100CC were easier than past games. I am currently stuck on 3starring everything in 150CC. There are 2 cups that just kill me at the last second and I bump down to 2nd-5th. This feels a lot more brutal than other MarioKarts. There is one cup I have already put several hours in that is slowly draining my soul. Ironically the Rainbow Road cup (new) I 3 starred on the first try (thank you bullet bill going from 7th to 1st) on the 3rd lap).

Developers have said there would be less blue shells. Problem is the few that do happen are at the last part of the last lap.
Saxsoon
AG
It is not even Blue Shells all the time. A really poorly timed Red Shell that knocks me off the track and landing in front of two bananas that spin me into each one then another green shell.
aggietony2010
AG
Last second shelling caused my first ragequit of a game in years. Spent 3 hours or so working on a cup, going for the 3 star. Had 1st-1st-1st going into the last race, could see the finish line on the last lap and was in first.

Red shell, green shell, into banana peel, green shell.

8th place, didn't even win the cup that time.
Charpie
AG
quote:
quote:

The new tracks don't come out until Nov and May. If you pre-order all of them now for just $12, you get different color Yoshis and Shy Guys immediately.
KEWL. I'll preorder them.

One thing I noticed is that I don't get as much notice when I'm about to get hit.

I totally dig the game so far.
chipotle
Some of y'all sound terrible at mario kart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.