Did anyone follow Watt when he was playing for Wiscy?

17,972 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Two Down
SQXVI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't know much about him back in the 2011 draft until the Texans drafted him, and looking at his college stats it seems like the last two years he played he was a solid if not dominant pass rusher, totaling 11.5 sacks in two season, but with a very impressive 36.5 TFL's.

It seems like a player as dominant as he is in the NFL would have been an absolute terror in college, but I don't ever remember seeing much of anything about him. Has he ever mentioned if he changed his style of play in the pro's, or if a light came on in training or anything?
Matsui
AG
Not at all.
AgBQ07
AG
Most likely he was only mentioned in Big10 media. Wisconsin was known for their stout front seven but that still had to compete against Ohio State and Michigan State for recognition.

I do remember showing up at the NFL Combine and the scouts and media suddenly fell in love with him then.
Frok
AG
He's white so they assumed he wasn't as good.
BMX Bandit
WWC2001 followed him:

quote:
Watt doesn't fix anything. He is just another Connor Barwin or Antonio Smith.
sealyaggies
The guy is absolutely a beast. NO doubt. However, you have to ask yourself the very question the OP brings up. Why were his stats at Wisconsin good, but not great? How did he all of a sudden turn into beast mode at the combine?

Name another player who was a good to very good player in college; but not great, who then became the best player in the NFL by year 2 of his NFL career?

Naturally he is going to deny it, but it definitely has the makings of HGH/steroids.
BBQ4Me
AG
Just re-read the write up of the 2010 game vs Michigan. By mid season he was already known as a terror and the one guy on Wisky that your offense had to focus on. He was pretty disruptive in the Michigan game but also had the luxury of going against the second string LT (Lewan was injured)
onceaggie
AG
I guess you could say the same about romo sealy you are not very bright
Iowaggie
AG
Originally he committed to Central Michigan as a Tight End, but then Brian Kelly left CMU to coach Cinncinai , then he bounced around (including more time at CMU) before eventually walking on as DE at Wisconsin, another gift for Bret Bielema.

ESPN article on him at Wisconsin before the Rose
ce1994
AG
You guys realize Watt was at a smaller school as a tight end, left to deliver pizzas and then figured to heck with this and totally dedicated himself to football. Trained, gained weight, etc.

Watt is what people should point at and aspire to be. A guy that worked his tail off to get where he is. Has he used roids? Beats me. But by now they would have found that out.
ce1994
AG
They found it out with Cushing. They have found it out with many players.
SQXVI
AG
It would break my heart if Watt was caught using steroids, but I'm almost positive he doesn't. He looks almost exactly the same build as his pics from his last few years at Wisconsin and doesn't have the freakish vascularity or muscle definition that many of the roid heads (like cushing) do.
ce1994
AG
He may just be a corn fed white boy. Agreed that he lacks the definition of someone that uses roids. I will not throw bricks until he is caught. Before then he is innocent until proven guilty. It is lazy of sportswriters to cast dispersions on people.
BBQ4Me
AG
Accusing Watt of steroids is idiotic IMO. The dude just works his ass off. He doesn't party, he doesn't date. All he does is train
ce1994
AG
Most people that have motors like Watt are overcoming some athletic deficiency. In Watt's case he is a great athlete that has a high motor. At this point there is no telling what that guy will end up doing.
george07
AG
A friend of mine knows his girlfriend, so I think he does date. Probably no partying during the season at least though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think a steroid accusation made toward any lineman or LB in the NFL is exactly idiotic.
ce1994
AG
It is not idiotic. But why cast dispersions on him until he is caught. They test in the NFL. And people that fail those tests have access to mask the results just like any NFL team would provide.

There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. Just ask Jerry Rice that ran a 4.7 forty coming out of college.
sealyaggies
Every athlete that uses performance enhancing drugs(hgh/steroids) works their ass off. That is what the drug does; it enhances your ability to work out longer, and to recover from workouts in a shorter period of time. You don't just take steroids or hgh and just get bigger without putting in the work in the gym.

This argument that he does not have the muscle definition of a user is absurd. Did Roger Clemons have a muscle defined body? Hell no!!

What stands out to me is how bold/cocky he is when asked about the performance drugs. He boldly states he does not care if he gets tested. Kinda reminds me of a average biker who suddenly became a 7-8 time tour de france winner. We all remember how Armstrong would dare people to doubt him, although people questioned that he was dirty for years. The guy denied his usage for years, although it never seemed real that someone could just out of no where improve to those levels.

The HGH testing in the NFL just began this past Monday. 5 random players from 8 teams each week will be tested. We will see some high profile players get caught. Just like with steroids, they think they can beat the system; and for a long time, sometimes they do, but eventually get caught.

Time will tell on Watt. But this story of how hard he works is lame. 75% of these guys work their ass off. That is not a new wave of training that JJ Watt created.
Diggity
AG
your argument that he is "probably" on steroids or HGH is absurd.

Maybe he is, but you have absoultely no basis for your claim except that he is big.
Ag_07
AG
You sound like an idiot.
ce1994
AG
But until JJ Watt is caught in the country called the United States I will assume he is not using. So they have new tests parameters. Fine. But until then he is clean in my mind.
MW03
AG
quote:
Accusing Watt of steroids is idiotic IMO. The dude just works his ass off. He doesn't party, he doesn't date. All he does is train

Between shooting commercials and episodes of The League, maybe.
sealyaggies
quote:
your argument that he is "probably" on steroids or HGH is absurd.

Maybe he is, but you have absoultely no basis for your claim except that he is big.
I am not making some new enlightened statement about watt. Just google jjwatt hgh.

Some of you Texan fans are a little edgy. I think some of your comments clearly show that deep down inside, you are a little nervous. Keep on fighting off your fears with the name calling. I will be sure and bookmark this post for future reference.
Diggity
AG
do you read my post...I admit that I have no idea what the guy is putting in his body.

but neither do you.
sealyaggies
quote:
do you read my post...I admit that I have no idea what the guy is putting in his body.

but neither do you.
What is your point? Most people do not know what is being put into these guys body. I did not know what Barry Bonds and Sosa were doing, but I could speculate. Usually where there is speculation, truth rises to the top. You know, where there is smoke, there is fire.
Diggity
AG
speculate all you want.
sealyaggies
quote:
speculate all you want.

Yep.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
quote:

but neither do you.
What is your point? Most people do not know what is being put into these guys body. I did not know what Barry Bonds and Sosa were doing, but I could speculate. Usually where there is speculation, truth rises to the top. You know, where there is smoke, there is fire.

I guess we should wait for Watt to blow up like the other gentlemen you referenced

ce1994
AG
I am a Cowboys fan and I can tell you I am kind of sick of JJ Watt. But he is innocent until proven guilty.
Ryan34
AG
JJ Watt was a freak at Wisconsin too. He didn't have the sack numbers because they ran a 4-3, he played in the Big 10, and he hadn't learned how to play the position yet. If you watch Watt now, his hand use is what makes him so successful. He didn't have that back at Wisconsin because he hadn't played DE very long.

The steroid speculation is ridiculous.

ce1994
AG
And he was a 1st round draft choice. Which lead some to see production and future potential.
sealyaggies
quote:
JJ Watt was a freak at Wisconsin too. He didn't have the sack numbers because they ran a 4-3, he played in the Big 10, and he hadn't learned how to play the position yet. If you watch Watt now, his hand use is what makes him so successful. He didn't have that back at Wisconsin because he hadn't played DE very long.

The steroid speculation is ridiculous.

Keep repeating it to yourself enough times that it is ridiculous, absurd, idiotic. I am sure you can convince yourself. Just the fact that so many of you are so defensive indirectly states that you HOPE it is not true.

In this modern day and time, most of the star athletes have used. Clemons, McGuire, Tiger, A Rod, so many NFL players I am not going to try and name them. In many instances, we all want to think of them as being some great superstar who did it the right way; then we usually find out the truth.
ce1994
AG
Sealy, I am not saying it is ridiculous. But until he is caught we should assume the guy is clean. That is what I am stating.
SQXVI
AG
Many of us do hope it's not true......what's your point? We all like Watt, he seems to be a wonderful spokesperson in addition to being the most dominating defensive player in the NFL right now....what inane point are you trying to make by reinforcing the fact that some of us are worried he might fall from grace? I'm worried about EVERY athlete and the specter of steroids because there is so much to be gained by "cheating". I'm not sure what you're trying to drive at here.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.