*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

45,862 Views | 571 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by MaroonStain
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I am reminded that Paul is basically everything possible. Hebert really couldn't decide so he gave his main character every attribute. He is:
Duke Atreidies
Baron Harkonnen (everyone else died right)
Bene Gesserit
Emperor
Usul
Maud'dib
Lisan al Gaib
Kwisatz Haderach
Mentat (don't know if the movies even bothered to touch on that)

Like, none of this is even spoilers after the first book.
TCTTS
AG
FtWorthHorn
PatAg said:

that knife fight at the end is so good

All of the knife fights were great. So much faster and more dynamic than what you're used to (let's be honest, most of us are used to the looping lightsaber duels or equivalent staging with swords).

One of Villenueve's true gifts is just making things you're familiar with look totally new. The spaceships in these movies look like nothing else. Same was true of the duels.
Claude!
FtWorthHorn said:

PatAg said:

that knife fight at the end is so good

All of the knife fights were great. So much faster and more dynamic than what you're used to (let's be honest, most of us are used to the looping lightsaber duels or equivalent staging with swords).

One of Villenueve's true gifts is just making things you're familiar with look totally new. The spaceships in these movies look like nothing else. Same was true of the duels.
The Emperor's floating disco ball was pretty cool (and I'm not saying that facetiously).
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

For the non-book readers the Baron preyed on young boys, and had an affection for Feyd ever since he was young.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, Feyd and Rabban are brothers, correct? I know they're both nephews of the Baron, and I thought I heard Feyd refer to Rabban as "brother" at one point, but I didn't know if that was literal/by blood or not.
Decay
AG
Oh yeah that's right, lore accurate man boy kiss
TCTTS
AG

Tonyperkis
AG
Brutal for the actors. Would have loved to see Tim Blake Nelson
Apache
AG
Quote:

Denis Villeneuve says the deleted scenes will never release
This is disappointing, but "never" is a very long time.
RED AG 98
AG
Very glad DV went with the fembot style ladies in this movie rather than broaching that. Baron was one very vile dude in the books.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Concerning Chani and the twins

They could write them off, but it would mean that Paul takes over Leto II story line and becomes. don't do it if you don't want to do it a sandworm
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Also my 12 year old was disappointed there was no Thufir, because he didn't get to see the cat milking scene
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, Feyd and Rabban are brothers, correct? I know they're both nephews of the Baron, and I thought I heard Feyd refer to Rabban as "brother" at one point, but I didn't know if that was literal/by blood or not.

That's right. They are the son's of his half brother who renounced the Harkonnen name this the reason the are the succession candidates.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know, thanks.
StinkyPinky
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Also my 12 year old was disappointed there was no Thufir, because he didn't get to see the cat milking scene

I was surprised no Thufir either since he was the one that devised the plan for Baron for setting up Rabban's failure and set Feyd up to be the savior. It was also his plan to have the un-drugged Attriedies gladiator on Geidi Prime to kill Fey'd. Shows how gullible Baron was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've watched that stupid howling dog like five times and still laughing at it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DV needs to add in all the deleted scenes, combine the two movies, and drop it all on Max as a 7 hour movie, ZSJL style.

It'll never happen, but man a guy can hope.
Decay
AG
After he finishes part 3 or MessiahChildrenOfDune or whatever they call it. Then put it all together into 15 hours of DUNIS VILLENUEVE
TCTTS
AG
I saw this the other day, and it would be so sick if they put the deleted scenes back in, then divided both movies (or all three when it's all said a done) into "episodes," for one, big limited series…

RED AG 98
AG
This to me would be the absolute best treatment for this story. Super deep world building and character development. Count me in.

ETA: failure to read on my part. But I would love a proper series rather than just breaking up what DV already did.
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

I saw this the other day, and it would be so sick if they put the deleted scenes back in, then divided both movies (or all three when it's all said a done) into "episodes," for one, big limited series…

Pretty sure where I read there is already a tv series in the works
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Every single podcast breakdown I've heard about the movie has pretty much said the same thing about this movie being a return of movie stars, with the four main actors, as well as the scene of Paul's speech to the Fremen basically solidifying his status as a star.

You don't usually see an actor's "moment" be a specific scene that everyone sort of feels happening. Pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's called Dune: Prophecy and is about the early days of the Bene Gesserit thousands of years prior. Comes out on Max later this year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
After Part One, I was only slightly interested in it.

After Part Two, I can't wait to spend more time in this world, and for more world-building.

I just hope it involves some of the same below the line people, because the Production Design has been such an integral part of what made both of the movies so good.
TCTTS
AG
It would have come out last year but they scrapped the entire thing after filming the first few episodes because it apparently felt too different from the movies. So they hired a new director, re-conceived it a bit, recast a couple roles, and it now apparently feels more like the movies. DV was originally going to direct the first two episodes, but when they fast-tracked the sequel movie he obviously had to bow out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's kinda reassuring.
wangus12
AG

They could write them off, but it would mean that Paul takes over Leto II story line and becomes. don't do it if you don't want to do it a sandworm

This is why I think they'll stop at Dune Messiah. **** gets weird after that
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, it's called Dune: Prophecy and is about the early days of the Bene Gesserit thousands of years prior. Comes out on Max later this year.
Awesome! Thnx
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

After Part One, I was only slightly interested in it.

After Part Two, I can't wait to spend more time in this world, and for more world-building.

I just hope it involves some of the same below the line people, because the Production Design has been such an integral part of what made both of the movies so good.
I just feel its going to water down this experience, honestly. Dune is good because of DV. Firmly believe that anything he doens't direct is more than likely to be a downgrade.

I'm gonna watch them, at least at first, but I am expecting to be disappointed.
hunter2012
AG
wangus12 said:

This is why I think they'll stop at Dune Messiah. **** gets weird after that
I know, but I want to see Miles Teg and the Bene Gesserit Intergalactic Civil War. It would totally be worth the wormstuff...
TCTTS
AG
Re: the last of House Atreides and their bull iconography...

TCTTS
AG
He pulls the Gurney move on Feyd...

TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.