*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

45,217 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Ol Jock 99
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bangobango said:

YouBet said:

Absolute spectacle. I'm going to take my own narrow path here...

There was no northern (non-fundamentalist) vs southern (fundamentalist) Fremen in the book. Making Chani a northern Fremen combined with being relegated to concubine, and thus having her leave at the end is a large divergence from the book.

And I think the reason DV did that is because Dune Messiah is a largely boring book and will not translate to film well at all (which I've been annoyingly saying for some time). It has no action, it's short, and was only ever meant almost as an epilogue to Dune and a brief setup for Children of Dune.

So, I think DV recognizes this and made this change on purpose so that the next part would be watchable. And I think it was probably the right move from a movie going experience.

I do think part one was better as a film due to pacing like others have said but this movie was certainly a great watch.

People are actually saying part one was better? Wow. That is certainly a take.

I've absolutely come around on Part Two's greatness in general, and I understand/agree with exactly why Villeneuve made the decisions he did. That said, I still hold that Part One is not only better-paced, but resonates with me more overall.

Are Part One's highs as high as Part Two? Absolutely not. Score-wise, does anything in Part One come close to Zimmer's theme for Paul and Chani in Part Two? No way. Is Part One's ending as satisfying or as emotional as Part Two's? Not a chance. Yet, there's something about Part One that still feels more consistent to me, while also boasting slightly more iconic cinematography, IMO, and basically featuring just a few more moments that I love.

All that said, at this point we're splitting hairs because if I give Part One a 99 out of 100, I'm giving Part Two, like, a 95 out of 100. They're both all-time incredible to be.
swc93
AG
YouBet said:

There was no northern (non-fundamentalist) vs southern (fundamentalist) Fremen in the book. Making Chani a northern Fremen combined with being relegated to concubine, and thus having her leave at the end is a large divergence from the book.

And I think the reason DV did that is because Dune Messiah is a largely boring book and will not translate to film well at all (which I've been annoyingly saying for some time). It has no action, it's short, and was only ever meant almost as an epilogue to Dune and a brief setup for Children of Dune.

So, I think DV recognizes this and made this change on purpose so that the next part would be watchable. And I think it was probably the right move from a movie going experience.

I do think part one was better as a film due to pacing like others have said but this movie was certainly a great watch.
Watched the movie last night; the ending bothered me. The way Chani pushes back in the film and her departure at the end leads me to believe she is going to form a splinter group. Add to that, as pointed out, that none of the other factions are even mentioned; maybe her splinter group replaces the Spacing Guild and CHOAM in the movie and she is actually the one trying to bring an end to Paul's new empire. (just spit balling)

I really enjoyed reading Dune Messiah because it is so full of plot/intrigue and all the 'action' is basically verbal conflict. I don't really know how it will translate into film without elongating fights or bringing in conflicts that were just asides in the book. I suspect that if DV is going to make a hard right turn away from the source material, the 3rd installment would be it.
A is A
AG
swc93 said:

YouBet said:

Watched the movie last night; the ending bothered me. The way Chani pushes back in the film and her departure at the end leads me to believe she is going to form a splinter group. Add to that, as pointed out, that none of the other factions are even mentioned; maybe her splinter group replaces the Spacing Guild and CHOAM in the movie and she is actually the one trying to bring an end to Paul's new empire. (just spit balling)

I really enjoyed reading Dune Messiah because it is so full of plot/intrigue and all the 'action' is basically verbal conflict. I don't really know how it will translate into film without elongating fights or bringing in conflicts that were just asides in the book. I suspect that if DV is going to make a hard right turn away from the source material, the 3rd installment would be it.
I'll echo YouBet. PT 1 was better. the pacing and story were aligned. We missed some great scenes from the book (dinner scene, jessica in the the tree/water room, etc) but nothing was changed. PT 2 had a significant divergence from the book.

I just started Messiah yesterday, and it really has made me liking PT2 even less. I do not know how you go from the ending of PT2 to the second chapter of Messiah and Chani is in his bedchamber and they are talking.

SWC93 (and others). DV clearly stated he is working on "Messiah" vs just "Dune PT3". I'd hope that if he sets the book as a basis for the script, we should not see too much of a divergence - but again, after Chani's departure, I am worried for what DV is going to do. Taking a lot of creative license here.
M.C. Swag
AG
swc93 said:

YouBet said:

I think I like it. Denis gave Chani a little bit more agency and frankly...she SHOULD be upset at the end. It fits with basic human emotion. Who knows how it will actually play out, so not sure it's worth fretting over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Add to that, as pointed out, that none of the other factions are even mentioned; maybe her splinter group replaces the Spacing Guild and CHOAM in the movie and she is actually the one trying to bring an end to Paul's new empire. (just spit balling)
See, this is interesting. This instantly gets people emotionally invested in both sides of the conflict. It's very Game of Thrones.

I know it's probably WAY off from the source material, but I'd be so down for something like this.
YouBet
AG
A is A said:

swc93 said:

YouBet said:

I'll echo YouBet. PT 1 was better. the pacing and story were aligned. We missed some great scenes from the book (dinner scene, jessica in the the tree/water room, etc) but nothing was changed. PT 2 had a significant divergence from the book.

I just started Messiah yesterday, and it really has made me liking PT2 even less. I do not know how you go from the ending of PT2 to the second chapter of Messiah and Chani is in his bedchamber and they are talking.

SWC93 (and others). DV clearly stated he is working on "Messiah" vs just "Dune PT3". I'd hope that if he sets the book as a basis for the script, we should not see too much of a divergence - but again, after Chani's departure, I am worried for what DV is going to do. Taking a lot of creative license here.
I'm normally a stickler for staying true to source material, so I would normally be dogging this change. However, I just read Messiah, Children, and God Emperor in the last year so they are top of mind. The divergence from Dune to these subsequent books is so far beyond what the non-reading public is aware of that they would hate it. Dune fans were very upset when Messiah came out because it took such a dramatic turn from Dune. Never mind that Herbert foreshadows the hell out of it in Dune, it was still a jarring difference in tone and a total divergence from the hero's journey plot in Dune.

Thus, I think from a pure movie going experience, if DV is dramatically changing Messiah to keep us on a more Hollywood hero's journey path and not as much towards where the books start heading in Messiah, then I think the movie going public will simply enjoy it more and it will be better for revenue.

Like you said, we already know there will have to be completely new plot lines to reconcile the ending of this and Messiah so it's already going to be significantly different than the book. Who knows what we are getting at this point.
A is A
AG
YouBet said:

A is A said:

swc93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm normally a stickler for staying true to source material, so I would normally be dogging this change. However, I just read Messiah, Children, and God Emperor in the last year so they are top of mind. The divergence from Dune to these subsequent books is so far beyond what the non-reading public is aware of that they would hate it. Dune fans were very upset when Messiah came out because it took such a dramatic turn from Dune. Never mind that Herbert foreshadows the hell out of it in Dune, it was still a jarring difference in tone and a total divergence from the hero's journey plot in Dune.

Thus, I think from a pure movie going experience, if DV is dramatically changing Messiah to keep us on a more Hollywood hero's journey path and not as much towards where the books start heading in Messiah, then I think the movie going public will simply enjoy it more and it will be better for revenue.

Like you said, we already know there will have to be completely new plot lines to reconcile the ending of this and Messiah so it's already going to be significantly different than the book. Who knows what we are getting at this point.
I'm okay with this, just don't call it Messiah if it has limited connection to the source. Just call it PT 3 and create your own "next chapter". If he wants to change Chani's direction and even Paul's, that's fine, have the license to do that - just don't call it Messiah. My two cents. But knowing that DV has mentioned it as "Messiah" is what gave me pause at the end of PT2.

All that to saw. PT2 was amazing and great. I'd still give the nod to PT1 as a better installment.
M.C. Swag
AG
A is A said:

YouBet said:

A is A said:

swc93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm okay with this, just don't call it Messiah if it has limited connection to the source. Just call it PT 3 and create your own "next chapter". If he wants to change Chani's direction and even Paul's, that's fine, have the license to do that - just don't call it Messiah. My two cents. But knowing that DV has mentioned it as "Messiah" is what gave me pause at the end of PT2.

All that to saw. PT2 was amazing and great. I'd still give the nod to PT1 as a better installment.
1. We have no idea how close Denis will adhere to the Messiah book, so your concern could all be moot.
2. Dune Messiah takes place a decade after Dune ends. Your only hang up seems to be related to Chani walking away from Paul angry and then acting as if the next movie starts from that exact moment and Chani is somehow opposed to Paul. Denis made some changes but none that would be 'irreparable' from the overal arc or tone of Dune: Messiah. We could very well have the 'bedchamber' scene in the next movie because it's so far removed from the events we just watched.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Agree strongly with Point 2. The Jessica/Chani discussion is too good not to film.
A is A
AG
M.C. Swag said:

A is A said:

YouBet said:

A is A said:

swc93 said:

YouBet said:

1. We have no idea how close Denis will adhere to the Messiah book, so your concern could all be moot.
2. Dune Messiah takes place a decade after Dune ends. Your only hang up seems to be related to Chani walking away from Paul angry and then acting as if the next movie starts from that exact moment and Chani is somehow opposed to Paul. Denis made some changes but none that would be 'irreparable' from the overal arc or tone of Dune: Messiah. We could very well have the 'bedchamber' scene in the next movie because it's so far removed from the events we just watched.
1. correct.
2. It's more than just the final scene. I do not want to come off as a basher (which apparently I am). I also thought the turn from "I will not go South" to "I must go South" drama within Paul was rushed an not flushed out enough. I get that it is hard to cover the amount of time in the book with with just an hour of film, but it just didnt sit right with me.

Still an amazing job done by DV. I cannot wait for PT3/Messiah. I will be excited to see what he does in that decade. Maybe he creates his own story line for Chani. Who knows. Just voicing my opinion, as isolated and counter-popular as it might be
wangus12
AG
Its been a while since I've read the book, but wasn't one of his big motivators for bringing the full force of the Fremen to the fight was losing his son (and his sister to capture). Obviously leaving that out of the films makes it a little harder to convey his sudden change, although they did show the destruction of Sietch Tabr as a filler
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I also thought the turn from "I will not go South" to "I must go South" drama within Paul was rushed an not flushed out enough.
The obliteration of the northern Sietches forced his hand.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not a book reader, but I think Part 3 is the much better title. Keeps things uniform.
M.C. Swag
AG
A is A said:

M.C. Swag said:

A is A said:

YouBet said:

A is A said:

swc93 said:

YouBet said:

1. correct.
2. It's more than just the final scene. I do not want to come off as a basher (which apparently I am). I also thought the turn from "I will not go South" to "I must go South" drama within Paul was rushed an not flushed out enough. I get that it is hard to cover the amount of time in the book with with just an hour of film, but it just didnt sit right with me.

Still an amazing job done by DV. I cannot wait for PT3/Messiah. I will be excited to see what he does in that decade. Maybe he creates his own story line for Chani. Who knows. Just voicing my opinion, as isolated and counter-popular as it might be
haha I have no issue with anyone critiquing the movie that we've already seen, I was just pushing back on concerns about a movie yet to come.
Decay
AG
Skip Messiah and Children and just make God Emperor. Now everyone is happy
Claude!
Decay said:

Skip Messiah and Children and just make God Emperor. Now everyone is happy
Well, everyone except Duncan Idaho.
DallasTeleAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not a book reader, but I think Part 3 is the much better title. Keeps things uniform.
I've been thinking the same thing. Releasing a Movie called Dune: Messiah doesn't seem like it would have the same mass appeal as simply calling it Dune: Part 3

Before this thread, I would have never been able to tell you the name of the second book, and i'm an avid fantasy reader.
bangobango
AG
Dune Messiah was not received well. They've got a major challenge ahead in doing the next film. Pretty much only guarantee is that people will be pissed with whichever direction they choose.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's like the opposite Game of Thrones problem.
Chipotlemonger
AG
bangobango said:

Dune Messiah was not received well. They've got a major challenge ahead in doing the next film. Pretty much only guarantee is that people will be pissed with whichever direction they choose.
I read all of the original Frank books, but I will be happy if there is a new direction in the next movie. Given how good DV did with the 1st 2 movies, and how good his movies in general are, I have no issues with letting him take it on and advancing it how he sees fit.

I probably don't mind a slight divergence either, because as much as I liked the books, they get really out there! dude becomes a sandworm overlord for goodness sakes!. There are great reading visuals and dialogue after the first Dune book, some good action here and there, but I want something that will tie off the arc already started with Part I and II. That is unless, they decide to go all out and make even more movies out of this.
Ornithopter
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

bangobango said:

I read all of the original Frank books, but I will be happy if there is a new direction in the next movie. Given how good DV did with the 1st 2 movies, and how good his movies in general are, I have no issues with letting him take it on and advancing it how he sees fit.

I probably don't mind a slight divergence either, because as much as I liked the books, they get really out there! dude becomes a sandworm overlord for goodness sakes!. There are great reading visuals and dialogue after the first Dune book, some good action here and there, but I want something that will tie off the arc already started with Part I and II. That is unless, they decide to go all out and make even more movies out of this.

I want the third movie to be about how Paul ultimately sacrifices everything in order to save humanity from its future implosion. He loses his eyesight, his child, Chani, and ultimately his life. Do that, and leave some degree of hope for the future with Leto/Ghanima then call it a film
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'd be down with that
YouBet
AG
Agreed and I think DV almost has to do it this way. Otherwise, there is no closure.
hunter2012
AG
Ran across this AI poster for a hypothetical part 4. I really enjoyed the later books, most need to get over the hangups on God Emperor. Leto II is a great character and arguably more selfless than his dad because he actually followed the golden path to his own hellish conclusion instead of looking for an escape like Paul.

YouBet
AG
And enslaved all of humanity in the process. That was the whole philosophical bent of that book. Is peace worth the price of a tyrannical ruler?
hunter2012
AG
It was all for the golden path, the freedom break from enslavement sent humanity out to the furthest reaches of space. In doing so ensuring the survival of humanity indefinitely free from prescience. Both father and son took up the mantle of oppressive tyrants, but both did so to preserve the bigger picture for humanity. I'll be frank and note that I also want to see Miles Teg in action on IMAX, so that's why I want the story to be carried forward.
The Ghost of Johnny
AG
hunter2012 said:

I'll be frank and note that I also want to see Miles Teg in action on IMAX, so that's why I want the story to be carried forward.

Are you Frank Hebert?
zap
AG
I saw it in IMAX on Wednesday. It was overwhelming (in a good way). I don't really remember hearing any music because of how loud it was.

I am considering another viewing (non-IMAX) during off peak hours. I need some elbow room around me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hunter2012
AG
The Ghost of Johnny said:

hunter2012 said:

I'll be frank and note that I also want to see Miles Teg in action on IMAX, so that's why I want the story to be carried forward.

Are you Frank Hebert?
Well at least you haven't accused me of being Brian Herbert...
Whos Juan
AG
Welp, looks like I know what I'm doing September 25th

https://www.hanszimmerlive.com/
TCTTS
AG
This feels like an AI prompt or a very specific custom request on Cameo from TexAgs/F13...

"Rebecca Ferguson in full Dune makeup throwing a football on Arrakis."

Madmarttigan
AG
Whos Juan said:

Welp, looks like I know what I'm doing September 25th

https://www.hanszimmerlive.com/

Damn you Dallas people
AgLiving06
swc93 said:

YouBet said:

When I was watching, I could remember if she had a kid in the first or second book...but can't that be the way this resolves itself?

She find out she's pregnant to start the second movie and comes back?
Noblemen06
AG
The last 20 seconds sure are spice-y

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.