*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

45,646 Views | 567 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by DallasTeleAg
StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RED AG 98 said:

StinkyPinky said:

RED AG 98 said:

On the topic of religion, I do think it is real but it's not like most of view religion today, at least not in the West. There isn't a singular path as we would typically believe but many potential paths and messiahs.The Bene Gesserit are also not all knowing or all present like or what we think of as "God."

I just re-read the chapter where Jessica and Paul drink the water of life... it really is amazing and I'd post it all here if I could. But that scene is an entire chapter in the book, and Herbert describes in exacting detail how they feel, how they become one with the knowledge of all past Reverend Mothers, how Jessica down to the molecular level understands and even changes the liquid as it courses through her body to react with hydrogen and make it safe. They do not become all-knowing, but they do immediately gain all knowledge from the prior reverends.

I don't think it's that they become evil; it's that their perspective is totally changed. With the benefit and burden of all of the additional knowledge, they become more focused on the task before them, and view much of the other ongoing things as distractions or obstacles in pursuit of what they are now set out to achieve.
Yes, if anyone enjoyed the movie HIGHLY recommend reading the book because there is much depth there that takes the experience to another level.
And this is just one instance. In reality there are bits of information about the spice, religion and the other questions here that are shared or revealed across thousands of pages. That's why the movie has always been such a challenge to do well. And why all of us are struggling to give succint answers. And why I think a multi-season serial would be absolutely amazing.

Absolutely! My comment was on the book in its entirety. The movie hardly even touches explains the Fremen and their society hierarchy, the Sardaukar, Feyd and the last battle, Bene Gesserit, etc that are all fascinating in their own right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

So were Paul's prophetic dreams from before arriving on Arrakis just due to his lineage/genetics from his mother?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, makes sense. Feels very Bran becoming the three eyed Raven.
StinkyPinky
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

So were Paul's prophetic dreams from before arriving on Arrakis just due to his lineage/genetics from his mother?
That's right, because he has Bene G blood in him (which is still very uncommon to have prescience as BG) but the biggest reason is him being the Kwisatz Haderach (which is why Jessica wanted to keep it quiet that he was having the visions)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The movie was great as both a stand-alone and the conclusion to the first part. I have only read Dune Messiah once, back in the 80s, so I cannot determine what changes were made to be able to set up DV's third movie. Possibly something with Chani heading into the desert rather than staying with Paul as already discussed.

I thought Chalamet did a great job portraying Paul's growth over these two movies. And damn if his reunion with Gurney was not an emotional moment. I also like Javier Bardem's work as Stilgar - he provided some humor here but was also used to great effect to show the religious aspect that drove the Fremen, well, the southern Fremen apparently. Good choice in not having Alia actually born as in the 1984 movie. Oh, and Rebecca Ferguson is strong as Jessica but also good to look at.

I listened to the score several times this week. I thought it was good, but now having heard it in the movie, it became so much better. This is my typical experience with Zimmer.

So one question. I don't think I missed any explanation, not sure one was provided, but once one gets on a worm to go for a ride, how does one get off that thing?
#FJB
PatAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The movie was great as both a stand-alone and the conclusion to the first part. I have only read Dune Messiah once, back in the 80s, so I cannot determine what changes were made to be able to set up DV's third movie. Possibly something with Chani heading into the desert rather than staying with Paul as already discussed.

I thought Chalamet did a great job portraying Paul's growth over these two movies. And damn if his reunion with Gurney was not an emotional moment. I also like Javier Bardem's work as Stilgar - he provided some humor here but was also used to great effect to show the religious aspect that drove the Fremen, well, the southern Fremen apparently. Good choice in not having Alia actually born as in the 1984 movie. Oh, and Rebecca Ferguson is strong as Jessica but also good to look at.

I listened to the score several times this week. I thought it was good, but now having heard it in the movie, it became so much better. This is my typical experience with Zimmer.

So one question. I don't think I missed any explanation, not sure one was provided, but once one gets on a worm to go for a ride, how does one get off that thing?
Believe they just basically are tired out and ready to dip once they stop hooking their flaps open
AgGrad99
AG
In the scene right after he rode the worm, they were in bed together.

My son leaned over and whispered...'first he rode the worm, then she did.'
TCTTS
AG
Edit, sorry, never mind. I got tricked by my own thread title!
AgGrad99
AG
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm on my phone and screwed up. Apologies.
MaroonStain
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Son knows things.
AgGrad99
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I'm on my phone and screwed up. Apologies.
de nada
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Just got back from IMAX viewing. Fantastic movie. 10/10 for me dawg. I loved the first book (other books were good but not same level imo) and this movie hit all the spots. The story was very well told and paced. Even though you know Paul has plot armor you're still on edge throughout. But the cinematics were best ever, IMO. Never seen so many small details so perfect.

Had our best friends out with us (they had also read the books) and they loved it as well.
wangus12
AG
Holy ****
miller0926
AG
Just got out, quick question…

Was that last of the remaining Atreidis to get killed (the one that wasn't drugged) Dr. Yueh? If so, did I miss something in the first movie that implied Vladimir didn't actually kill him?

I can't find anything anywhere saying he was still alive.
hunter2012
AG
It was not the doctor, just one of the captured Atreides soldiers.
Claude!
I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. I fully recognize some of that comes from me loving the book so much that the deviations kind of stuck out to me - how they handled Chani, the addition of a North/South Fremen schism, etc.

The visuals and sound were great. I'd been initially skeptical, but grew to like how they portrayed the Harkonnen - the black sun and all that was really neat. Stilgar and Lady Jessica were great, and Austin Butler's Feyd-Rautha was a standout.

The nits I'll pick:
1. I didn't like the Chani portrayal - some of that was script, but some of it was Zendaya. I think she's a fine actress, but her determined/stoic/angry face put me more in mind of a petulant child. Probably just personal prejudice.
2. As others have said, Walken as Emperor. I don't think he really added a lot to the role, and in the couple of occasions that he went into his Walken cadence, I rolled my eyes. Maybe the intent was to make him seem like a broken-down old man, which is interesting, but it didn't get me.
3. When someone used the Voice to say "Do it", all I could think about was Emperor Palpatine.
4. All of the Fremen language dialogue was great, but some of the English dialogue felt a little out of place in that it could get very modern-day American vernacular. Like when Paul asks "What are you guys laughing at?", it just didn't seem like it fit in the universe.
kag00
AG
Really enjoyed it. The approach of spending so much time on building the religious aspect of the rise of Paul was not the angle I expected. I thought that would be more glossed over and the focus would be more on the fighting, Harkonen, and the Emperor.

My one major complaint was how they treated Beast Raban and Bautista's portrayal. In the first movie the character was mostly competent and pure evil. In this one he was made a bumbling weak idiot. Raban was definitely strategically weak due to his rage but not incompetent. Overall it made the Harkonen overall look like idiots who didn't understand at all how to control the planet. This weakened the Baron quite a lot in this movie as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now that I've seen the full story, it's pretty interesting seeing how much of our modern sci-fi and pop culture has pulled from this story.

Star Wars:
- Paul is essentially a combination of Anakin and Luke (the Chosen One storyline, plus the idea of his importance being due to his lineage)
- The Voice is just like the Force / Jedi mind trick
- Obviously spice, smuggling, the Emperor, etc
- A familial connection to the bad guys

Game of Thrones:
- Powerful houses
- A House gets nearly wiped out, with the Duke's son getting finally getting revenge
- Paul becoming all-knowing and all-seeing after drinking the Water of Life is just like Bran becoming the Three Eyed Raven
- Paul being both Atreides and Harkonnen = Jon Snow being a Stark and Targaryen
- Paul and Jon are both prophetic figures

- An off-worlder comes to a planet to save the indigenous race from a group who comes to mine a valuable substance from the planet
- The indigenous have a prophecy of a savior which the hero fulfills
- Hero rides a massive animal to finally prove himself

The Matrix:
- Chosen One stories, but with the prophecies being created by the BG / the Machines as a form of control
- Stilgar and Morpheus being absolutely convinced by the prophecy in spite of the reluctance of their Messiah figure

Plenty of others I'm sure.
PatAg
AG
Game of thrones primarily is based European history, on the Wars of the Roses
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I commented that Chani was wasting water getting moist to do the deed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure, and Star Wars is primarily based on the sci-fi serials Lucas grew up watching, but you can definitely see the inspiration they took from Dune as well.
Quad Dog
AG
What an amazing adaptation of one of my favorite books. Absolutely loved it.

Random stuff I loved:
Seeing Bene Gesserit seduction techniques on full display
The northern vs Southern Fremen stuff. I don't remember that from the book.
Prophecy vs propaganda was handled extremely well. One of my favorite parts of the book.
Irulans's journal entries, an important part of the book. Each chapter starts with one. Pugh didn't have a ton of screen time, but she did amazing with what she had. Would love to see more of her in the sequel.
Everything on Giedi Prime. The tone, the look, especially Butler's Feyd. Extremely creepy and well done. I think he did something with his voice to sound more like Skarsgard.

Random thoughts:
Bautista and Walken weren't given much to do. Wish Raban had been able to earn his nickname "Beast" with the Fremen. Then the Fremen get their revenge on him instead of Gurney.
I thought Tim Blake Nelson was supposed to be Count Fenring in this. I guess him and Stephen McKinley Henderson's Thufir got left on the cutting room floor.
Zendaya has the absolute best looks on her face for "who are you/what do you think you are doing/I don't trust you." I liked most of her changes from the book, of which there was a lot, except her riding off at the end. I guess it was an attempt to modernize her a bit?
The Alia, Paul's sister, stuff was handled very well. They made her almost menacing in the womb and it could have gone wrong so many different ways.
The kids complained that there were too many words they didn't know what they meant. At least that is accurate to the book too.
LB12Diamond
AG
Just watched on IMAX. Very solid.

Loved the old mother having the voice used on her to shut her up.

So many great performances from all. My fav probably was Javier's. He nailed it.

I took the drinking of the water of life to be similar to the avatar state as far as having the knowledge of all those before you. Thus, bringing clarity. Prior to that Paul was always questioning everything.

My only dislike was how weak the Beast was in this one.
Quad Dog
AG
Yes, pretty much.
Reverend Mothers can only access the female lineage memories.
Kwisatz Haderach can access both male and female. Also visions of the future.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Five stars! No notes!

Jk I do have one gripe and it's Austin Butler. I do not think he is a good actor, and fortunately Fayd doesn't have much to really do but be menacing. BUT his lingering Elvis voice took me out of it a few times.

I agree that I like most of Chani's changes. I think it sets up Paul's arc in Messiah well, although I'm not sure how that will work out between them.

I thought Walken was actually good in the role. He had dead eyes as a man in decline, but his very presence brought enough heft, IMO. I thought Pugh was good too and I think she will do really well in that role in Part Three.
LB12Diamond
AG
Question for the book readers.

So the reverend mother was the one who talked the emperor into taking out that Atriedes house. Why was she concerned with them? My guess was bc she could not control them. Always about control.
Quad Dog
AG
Bene Gesserit have their own plans they've been building for centuries. They may or may not overlap with the Emperor's plans. However, their reasons to attack are pretty much the same: the Atreides are too powerful, strong military, and popular with other houses, and potential rivals. Both Emperor and BG took out a rival to their plans they thought they could no longer control.
RED AG 98
AG
The Bene Gesserit don't really are about the houses; they care about their work of centuries to bring about the messiah. I think it was more clear in the books that this was the scheming of the Emperor and Harkonnen. The Bene Gesserit had knowledge of it and didn't go out of their way to stop it, but they did help ensure Paul and Jessica were protected. "The boy is worth saving", especially after he passed the test of the box.
lurker76
My wife and I caught it yesterday evening in IMAX and we're still talking about it. One of the first things she said, walking out of the theater, was that the cinematography was the best she's ever seen. It is a very well done adaptation of the book, and although I don't like the way Chani was handled, it works, depending on future adaptations, if they go beyond Dune Messiah.

I think Javier Bardem was spectacular. As mentioned, he had some funny lines that brought out a laugh, but as the Sietch leader he kept things as under control as possible. His position in the movie is not as strong as it is in the book.

Something that I never picked up in the book, even though I've probably read Dune a dozen times since the late '60s, and the sequels almost as many times, was the way the Fremen Jihad started. Having the major houses not accept Paul's ascendency to Emperor and then the Fremen taking flight to fight them was a good way to start it off.

One thing to keep in mind about Paul and the good/evil discussion, he's known all along what would happen if he made a wrong step along the way. He didn't want the lives of billions of people on his hands, and tried to find a way to avoid it. If you've read through God Emperor of Dune, you know what Leto II was willing to accept that Paul was not.
jamesagg
AG
Can someone explain to me the part where it's revealed that lady jessica got impregnated by the baron and the baron was Paul's grandfather? I had to run to the restroom and came in the middle of that part.
Quad Dog
AG
jamesagg said:

Can someone explain to me the part where it's revealed that lady jessica got impregnated by the baron and the baron was Paul's grandfather? I had to run to the restroom and came in the middle of that part.

Baron was Jessica's dad.
lurker76
That was part of the BG breeding program, as an attempt to get the Kwizatz Hadderach. Jessica was supposed to have a daughter that was to be bred with Feyd. She had a son to please Leto, against the BG direction.
jamesagg
AG
lurker76 said:

That was part of the BG breeding program, as an attempt to get the Kwizatz Hadderach. Jessica was supposed to have a daughter that was to be bred with Feyd. She had a son to please Leto, against the BG direction.

Ok, thanks. I totally missed that.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sure, and Star Wars is primarily based on the sci-fi serials Lucas grew up watching, but you can definitely see the inspiration they took from Dune as well.
I should have specified the major houses part in my reply. But yea, Dune is probably the book I would recommend most to anyone looking to read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.