*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

41,568 Views | 544 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by zap
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With "Fan First Premieres" happening tonight in IMAX, and a number of people here attending, it's time we get a spoiler thread going.

As always, spoiler reactions in this thread, general reactions in the original thread.

As for me, I won't be seeing it until the night of March 2 (Saturday), so I'll see you guys back here then...

RED AG 98
AG
Yes! We are up in this sietch. Cannot wait.
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

With "Fan First Premieres" happening tonight in IMAX, and a number of people here attending, it's time we get a spoiler thread going.

As always, spoiler reactions in this thread, general reactions in the original thread.

As for me, I won't be seeing it until the night of March 2 (Saturday), so I'll see you guys back here then...

Saturday for me as well. Peace out until then…
BoydCrowder13
Chalamet has probably cemented himself as a powerhouse for the next decade. He had real presence here.

I actually have never been a huge Zendeya fan but she really shined in the role. Their love story was heartbreaking and believable.

The best aspect of the film for me was the disturbing manipulation of the religious beliefs of the Fremen. You were rooting for Paul but like Chani, kind of sickened by his methods.

Visuals were incredible to say the least. Can't wait for Messiah.
YNWA_AG
AG
Absolutely incredible. That was a cinematic masterpiece all around.
All I do is Nguyen
This was one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had. Saw it in IMAX and was well worth the price. Also got the collectible popcorn bucket and drink cup as well.

My only disappointment was Christopher Walken's performance as the Emperor. I had reservations when I heard he was cast in the role but held out hope like I did for Ledger's joker and Pattinson's Batman. Alas I was left wanting more. Otherwise this was a 9.5/10
BoydCrowder13
All I do is Nguyen said:

This was one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had. Saw it in IMAX and was well worth the price. Also got the collectible popcorn bucket and drink cup as well.

My only disappointment was Christopher Walken's performance as the Emperor. I had reservations when I heard he was cast in the role but held out hope like I did for Ledger's joker and Pattinson's Batman. Alas I was left wanting more. Otherwise this was a 9.5/10

Yea the Emperor was kind of a nothing role. Walken could have been anyone.

There were a few fun side characters but it really was 100% Chalamet, Zendaya, Bulter and Ferguson's movie.

Forgot to mention the soundtrack. One of Zimmer's best. Which is obviously saying something.
All I do is Nguyen
I would've liked to have seen Brad Dourif play the emperor. Would've been a nod to the '84 movie and he is a supremely underrated actor.
PDWT_12
AG
Awesome movie.

Size and scope of this thing is just staggering. Denis really is a master.

All star cast absolutely brings it and Zimmer is at the top of his game again.
PDWT_12
AG
Guess it will be quiet in here until the weekend. A couple of more thoughts now that I've had a full day thinking about it.

-Greig Fraser is is on an unbelievable run as a cinematographer. His last four films have been Dune: Part Two, The Creator (meh movie but looked incredible), The Batman, and Dune. Some amazing shots in this movie.

-Start thinking about favorite scenes, I think Paul riding the sandworm, his speech as he declares himself Lisan al Gaib, Feyd in the arena, the Fremen raid on the spice crawler, and obviously the final battle sequence are probably up there.

-I really liked Bardem taking on the role of very small comic relief moments that had kind of been Duncan Idaho/Mamoa's role in Part 1.

-The score for this is so good. Been listening to it all day. I think we are very lucky that Hans Zimmer went with DV to do the Dunes, creating something so unique and different from the style that had maybe grown a little stale under Nolan, and cementing himself as one of the greatest of all time. Simultaneously clearing the path for Ludwig to work with Nolan, which gave me one of my favorite scores of the last several years in Oppenheimer.

As far as book stuff goes (Messiah Spoilers Below):

I liked the change of making Chani very reluctant to the whole prophecy idea. Added tension and gave her character some agency. And her clearly not being content to just be his side piece makes things very interesting for the hopeful end of the trilogy. In theory she needs to be with Paul because her giving birth is so huge for the storyline, but if they aren't interested in doing Children of Dune... does it matter? Very interested to see where they go form here.

Good move to have Alia speak as a fetus rather than trying to put a kid in the role. Excited to see what ATJ can do in that part.

That's really all I have as far as major differences go. I hope this thing makes a boatload of money and DV can feel comfortable taking his time and bringing us a great Messiah adaptation.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Loved the movie, thought Chalamet killed it, but felt like the final battle could've been way longer, and felt like the movie needed to breathe a bit more at times.

I heard there was a major change from the book near the end, what was it?

Also, curious about the Lynch version, is it worth watching?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Riding the worm scene was so good.
Ornithopter
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Loved the movie, thought Chalamet killed it, but felt like the final battle could've been way longer, and felt like the movie needed to breathe a bit more at times.

I heard there was a major change from the book near the end, what was it?

Also, curious about the Lynch version, is it worth watching?

The Lynch version is very 80s sci fi and very David Lynch.

I'm struggling to think of a remake that is such a stark difference between the two versions.
RED AG 98
AG
Kinda forget about this spoilers thread.

As posted above I agree the Emperor was kind of nothing role; I thought Walken was ok but there wasn't enough to showcase him.

My main quip in the casting is Pugh. I think she's by far the weakest of the secondary characters. Again mostly a small part in this film but imo she was not super convincing as the daughter of one of the most powerful men in the universe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed on both counts, I think they could've done much better on those two characters.

For instance, as the Emperor they could've gone with Christoph Waltz, Mads Mikkelsen, or someone along those lines.

For Pugh's role, Saoirse Ronan comes to mind.
PDWT_12
AG
I disagree on Pugh at least. Thought she was great and has the perfect look for the role.

As far as the final battle sequence goes, I understand it would be cooler for it to have gone on longer, but I think he wanted to get the point across about how effective the Fremen were as fighters.

Obviously you can do that and just add more scenes of them kicking ass, but I think the brevity was intentional. We saw the Sardukar wipe the floor with the Atreides (second best fighters in the galaxy) in Part 1. So to see them get absolutely dominated by the Fremen like that just serves as a reminder of Paul is unleashing on the universe as he ascends the throne and sends them out on their holy war.

Edit: I would have preferred to see an actual fight between Rabben and Gurney though, even if it went almost immediately into the Paul Feyd fight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is hilarious and absolutely true lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I appreciated that there was some comic relief in the movie. Half his lines got laughs in the theater.
AgGrad99
AG

Saw it last night with my son, and we both thought it was great. The show seems to have such a slow/exacting pace, but also keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

I loved the scene, when Paul and Chani were first fighting the giant harvesting machines in the desert. He ran from behind the leg, as a distraction, and Chani fired the weapon at the aircraft. Right when she hits it...the sound dampens and you hear her laugh at what they did as she's running. Just before the aircraft comes falling down and explodes in the background, the sound comes back fully. That was such a small touch, but made for a really cool moment.

Having not read the books, I have a question about the religious aspect...

The way I see it, there is actually a religion, with a prophecy, which Paul is fulfilling. However, there are some who are using it to manipulate others. Is this the case, or is it all fake, for the purposes of controlling the Fremen?

Secondly, Paul and His Mother changed after drinking the worm juice. They seemed to go from good to evil. Are they bad/evil now? Being controlled? Or are they just enlightened, and now on a mission to follow the slender path Paul has foreseen? Their change threw me for a loop, and not sure what to think about them and their actions now.
RED AG 98
AG
I just wanted something a bit more regal -- sophisticated, elite, aloof, whatever the appropriate word. I just didn't get that from her at all. Again minor for this movie but a bit of concern with the likely expanded role in the next.
AgGrad99
AG
I actually liked Pugh.

Thought she was a good mix of a Royal, a Bene Gesserit, and someone a little hardened and ready for a fight as Empress.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Your question reminded me of another thing.

I felt both movies never really did a great job of explaining why exactly the spice was so valuable in the universe. Specifically, what do people high on spice experience/feel?

I know there a couple vague lines, but I thought we needed a scene showing us how the spice was affecting Paul.

I also felt the flip for both of them was the Water of Life, but I'm not sure if it was the only cause, or simply allowing their true intentions to come forth and they were holding back before. I suspect the latter.

Maybe that question is the exact question they intended.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

I also felt the flip for both of them was the Water of Life, but I'm not sure if it the only cause, or simply allowing their true intentions to come forth and they were holding back before. Maybe that question is the exact question they intended.
Yeah...i called the Water of Life, worm juice.

I left thinking, so are they bad now? Or just focused on what needs to be done?

hunter2012
AG
Moving this here from the main thread:
So far I only have 2 minor gripes.

First, the pacing and time skips are a little bit wonky, months go by in the first 2 acts and it's a little hard to keep up with how much time has passed between scenes. To be fair the book jumps about 5 years between Leto's death and Paul's ascendancy, so this may just be an issue the overall universe since the whole thing is on a huge timescale.

My second gripe is Zendaya's portrayal of Chani, particularly the end. In the books she was pivotal in supporting Paul's burden in the war that he wages and his pursuit of the "narrow way". She understood the political necessity that his marriage to Irulan was to be in stabilizing the imperium. I disagree that book Chani would sandworm off into the desert. It makes her come across as a petulant jealous lover. In the books she was swept along with everyone else by the legend of Muadib also Spoiler alert for books 2 & 3:she can't bear the twins if they've broken up. But that's an issue for messiah, I just hope he doesn't have to pull a retcon/plot realignment like the Star Wars sequel trilogy in order to get the larger story back on track. I get that Zendaya is a super star right now, but does the movie really have to end with her doing that? or are they really going to write off their kids completely? It would be a real shame because Leto II is a great foil for his father.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok so based on some quick googling it looks like the major change from the book is that Chani and Paul have a kid in the book, and she never leaves him like she does here. Gotta say I like what the movie did better, as a way to drive home the fact that Paul is going down a dark path. I love how this is setting up though. Very much a fallen Jedi, Anakin type thing, but on a far bigger scale.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beat me to it! I can see why you'd dislike the change though.
All I do is Nguyen
I'll do my best to answer these but if someone else wants to add more to it then please do.

The way I see it, there is actually a religion, with a prophecy, which Paul is fulfilling. However, there are some who are using it to manipulate others. Is this the case, or is it all fake, for the purposes of controlling the Fremen?

The prophecy has been laid out the Bene Gesserit in their pursuit of their "chosen one" or the Kwisatz Haderach through centuries of propaganda and breeding between the families. Paul was never supposed to have been born but Jessica broke their rules by not giving birth to a girl. Also when you break it down, a lot of religion is propaganda so is it real/fake, that's ultimately up to the follower to decide.

Secondly, Paul and His Mother changed after drinking the worm juice. They seemed to go from good to evil. Are they bad/evil now? Being controlled? Or are they just enlightened, and now on a mission to follow the slender path Paul has foreseen? Their change threw me for a loop, and not sure what to think about them and their actions now.

They are not "evil" they simply see everything. Jessica sees everything from the previous reverend mothers before her and Paul sees literally EVERYTHING that was and everything that will be. I imagine with this kind of omniscience, Paul has a certain level of calm about him that makes him seem evil, especially compared to his nave youth (remember he's around 14/15 in the books). That's why he says to Chani "As long as I draw breath, I will always love you" because he knew that marrying Irulan would upset her, but he also knows it is necessary to eventually bring peace.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do wish they showed more of both of these in the movie.
StinkyPinky
AG
AgGrad99 said:

The Bene Gesserit hae been panning for the Kwisatz Haderach for a long time, and in the planning they have planted prophecies in many societies so that they will adopt the KH and fall in line with their plans. The Lisan al Gaib is a generic prophecy planted in all societies that would align with the KH coming to fruition. Was not unique to the Fremen, but across the Imperium (each society having their own unique prophecy that fits their culture but looks exactly the same so the real KH would match the prophecy). A play on control, and a play that made the Bene G holy allies and have a safe position within their society. But in end very much fake, because the BG believed in only one true KH.
StinkyPinky
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I felt both movies never really did a great job of explaining why exactly the spice was so valuable in the universe. Specifically, what do people high on spice experience/feel?

I know there a couple vague lines, but I thought we needed a scene showing us how the spice was affecting Paul.

The Spice (Melange) was a hallucinogenic type of drug that had several benefits/impacts. It impacted people by creating enhanced senses, improved mental abilities, and in some cases allowed people to see the past and future. It was important to the Imperium because a group known as the Space Guild basically had members that were fully consumed (lived in vats of Spice) and became these extraordinary creatures (used to be humans). The spice allowed them to see and create path through space at extraordinary speeds and prevented running into other planets etc. Thank of them as air traffic controls for space, and with out them interstellar space travel would not be possible. That is what made it such a hot commodity. It is also known as an anti aging drug as well which lead to its demand/popularity.

As I mentioned before the spice could also result in prescience which gives the person the ability to see past/present/future. This was how the Space Navigators used it for space travel. The REverend
Mother has some limited prescience ability, but Paul had strong abilities (exponentially enhanced after the water of life was drank). But he started having visions during his first interaction with Spice when first on Arrakis (when the worm attacked the excavator during the first movie and Paul was on the sand trying to rescue the crew). The visions he was having from the very beginning was an artifact of the spice).
RED AG 98
AG
On the topic of religion, I do think it is real but it's not like most of view religion today, at least not in the West. There isn't a singular path as we would typically believe but many potential paths and messiahs.The Bene Gesserit are also not all knowing or all present like or what we think of as "God."

I just re-read the chapter where Jessica and Paul drink the water of life... it really is amazing and I'd post it all here if I could. But that scene is an entire chapter in the book, and Herbert describes in exacting detail how they feel, how they become one with the knowledge of all past Reverend Mothers, how Jessica down to the molecular level understands and even changes the liquid as it courses through her body to react with hydrogen and make it safe. They do not become all-knowing, but they do immediately gain all knowledge from the prior reverends.

I don't think it's that they become evil; it's that their perspective is totally changed. With the benefit and burden of all of the additional knowledge, they become more focused on the task before them, and view much of the other ongoing things as distractions or obstacles in pursuit of what they are now set out to achieve.
StinkyPinky
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

They are not "evil" they simply see everything. Jessica sees everything from the previous reverend mothers before her and Paul sees literally EVERYTHING that was and everything that will be. I imagine with this kind of omniscience, Paul has a certain level of calm about him that makes him seem evil, especially compared to his nave youth (remember he's around 14/15 in the books). That's why he says to Chani "As long as I draw breath, I will always love you" because he knew that marrying Irulan would upset her, but he also knows it is necessary to eventually bring peace.
This is right. When Jessica converted the poison to holy water (as did Paul) she became a Reverend Mother. When you become a Reverend Mother you adopt all of the experience of the Reverend Mothers before you. That is the Alia was so far advanced was because she was in Jessicas womb when Jessica wnet through the ritual. She also adopted all of the experience and knowledge.
StinkyPinky
AG
RED AG 98 said:

On the topic of religion, I do think it is real but it's not like most of view religion today, at least not in the West. There isn't a singular path as we would typically believe but many potential paths and messiahs.The Bene Gesserit are also not all knowing or all present like or what we think of as "God."

I just re-read the chapter where Jessica and Paul drink the water of life... it really is amazing and I'd post it all here if I could. But that scene is an entire chapter in the book, and Herbert describes in exacting detail how they feel, how they become one with the knowledge of all past Reverend Mothers, how Jessica down to the molecular level understands and even changes the liquid as it courses through her body to react with hydrogen and make it safe. They do not become all-knowing, but they do immediately gain all knowledge from the prior reverends.

I don't think it's that they become evil; it's that their perspective is totally changed. With the benefit and burden of all of the additional knowledge, they become more focused on the task before them, and view much of the other ongoing things as distractions or obstacles in pursuit of what they are now set out to achieve.
Yes, if anyone enjoyed the movie HIGHLY recommend reading the book because there is much depth there that takes the experience to another level.
RED AG 98
AG
StinkyPinky said:

RED AG 98 said:

Yes, if anyone enjoyed the movie HIGHLY recommend reading the book because there is much depth there that takes the experience to another level.
And this is just one instance. In reality there are bits of information about the spice, religion and the other questions here that are shared or revealed across thousands of pages. That's why the movie has always been such a challenge to do well. And why all of us are struggling to give succinct answers. And why I think a multi-season serial would be absolutely amazing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.