Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

45,931 Views | 534 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Hey...so.. um
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fallout is one of my absolute favorite gaming franchises and I couldnt even tell you what the second is.[edit: has to be System Shock/BioShock/Bioshock 2/Bioshock Infinity]

And I am so relieved that it looks like this show is going to be very, very good. First episode was awesome, and I noticed a lot of easter eggs and probably missed even more.

The reveal when the vault door opens to the outside, just like it was in the games. Very cool.

The start of episode 2 kind of shows how the game is: walking around aimlessly in any direction, listening to Galaxy Radio, bumping to the Ink Spots or Marty Robbins, see something super random and ****ed up, but not necessarily important, just noticing how the final moments of this family ended up in a macabre way, then just leaving the house and the music fades back in and you are back on your way in the wasteland again.. So well done.

The music hits just like it does in the game.

Curious to hear the opinions of people that have never played. I could see how it could be like "what the hell is this *****"
bangobango
AG
Episode 1 was very good. Seems to be staying true ro the games. ****** crap annoyed the **** out of me. Hopefully we are done with that character.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I watched the first 1.5 episodes before having to call it a night. Very fun show. I love the way they wink to the games in a natural way, like when she refers to some of her skills in the opening. I'll enjoy watching all the non-gamer reactions in this thread.
Thanks and gig'em
Velvet Jones
AG
I said "Looks like the Ghoul has the Bloody Mess perk" and my wife called me a bloody nerd.
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
And many of the sound effects are straight from the games
Rocag
AG
Concerning non-fan opinions, I got my wife who has never played any of the Fallout games to watch the first episode with me and by the end she was the one wanting to keep watching more episodes. She was a bit surprised at the level of violence shown but not so put off by it she wanted to stop watching.

So yeah, I think there is a lot there to like even for people not familiar with Fallout. But they are going to miss a lot of jokes and references.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Same thing actually happened with my wife. I was kind of half ass explaining what the story was, about how the vaults worked, what happened in 2077 v. 2296, etc.

She was scrolling her phone when I turned it on and after the wedding scene where the raiders start attacking vault 33I saw her eyes fixed on the TV and she said "Wow this might actually be pretty good." We ended up getting through about half of episode two before bed. I cant wait to watch more.

Im actually kind of glad this is a "new" story in the universe and isn't just a remake of the game like Last of Us.

Not that there was anything wrong with following the story of an actual game, but the Fallout Universe is just fun enough on its own, it's nice to have something new to "explore".
Claude!
BadMoonRisin said:

Same thing actually happened with my wife. I was kind of half ass explaining what the story was, about how the vaults worked, what happened in 2077 v. 2296, etc.

She was scrolling her phone when I turned it on and after the wedding scene where the raiders start attacking vault 33I saw her eyes fixed on the TV and she said "Wow this might actually be pretty good." We ended up getting through about half of episode two before bed. I cant wait to watch more.

Im actually kind of glad this is a "new" story in the universe and isn't just a remake of the game like Last of Us.

Not that there was anything wrong with following the story of an actual game, but the Fallout Universe is just fun enough on its own, it's nice to have something new to "explore".
It's also fitting in how the game series was developed. Though there are loose threads connecting some of the titles (particularly Fallout 1 and 2), each is a self-contained story that can be enjoyed as such.
Independence H-D
"I'd offer you up one of them cherry tomatoes. But, you got a hole in your neck".
bangobango
AG
I think it was a brilliant idea to treat this as a new game rather than rehash an old one.
Faustus
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

As a Justified fan, I enjoyed seeing Limehouse dig up Boyd.
That was a nice touch.

Just started the binge, but it's been a blast thus far.
Sea Speed
AG
Rocag said:

Concerning non-fan opinions, I got my wife who has never played any of the Fallout games to watch the first episode with me and by the end she was the one wanting to keep watching more episodes. She was a bit surprised at the level of violence shown but not so put off by it she wanted to stop watching.

So yeah, I think there is a lot there to like even for people not familiar with Fallout. But they are going to miss a lot of jokes and references.

I haven't played a video game in decades and my wife probably never has and we both watched episode 1 last night, and MUCH to my surprise she stayed engaged the whole episode. This is generally not her speed at all. I am very very excited to keep watching with her. Would be cool to know the Easter eggs but I'm ok with being in the dark.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Vince Blake said:

Was anyone else expecting after the cold open and the screen goes black to the hear War. War never changes.

It was my only disappointment.

Finished episode 1 and really enjoyed it. Like others, love that this is an independent story and getting to see a little more of the pre-war timeline and really looking forward to the future episodes.
C@LAg
1. show is considered canon

2. there is a HUGE nuclear bomb dropped on existing game canon-acity in a later episode.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Not really into games at all, but really enjoyed this series and can't wait for season 2. Seems like Amazon really got this one right
n_touch
ABATTBQ11 said:

Not really into games at all, but really enjoyed this series and can't wait for season 2. Seems like Amazon really got this one right
Already finished?
bluefire579
AG
For those who haven't and want to play the games, Amazon has several of them available for free to celebrate the show premiering. Think you get access with just a Prime account. The only catch is some of them you have to use Luna, which is game streaming and reportedly not very good performance wise.

https://gaming.amazon.com/home
KidDoc
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

There's also no way you beat one of those before the show, let alone 3.

The main stories in all the games are "meh". The strength of the games are their visual storytelling and side quests throughout the world. I find the most enjoyment when I am truly role playing a vault dweller going out into the wasteland to explore, not a gamer who sits down and wants a linear narrative told to me.

If you only have time to experience one of the games before April 11th, that's hard to say.

New Vegas deals with what seems like important factions you'll get to meet in the show. However, that one is different from the other two. You are not a vault dweller in Fallout New Vegas, which is a big part of the other Fallout games. There are also several things in NV that deviate from the Bethesda Fallout games because it was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Fallout 3 is the first Bethesda Fallout game, and is beloved by many because it is great. How much better than FO4? I don't know if it's much. The dated mechanics, graphics, and combat may make it a little bit of a chore to go back and play without the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

FO4 is much more updated, has the best combat, and is a great game. The main quest is okay, but there are a lot of fantastic side quests and locations to find in the wasteland. The arrival of the Brotherhood of Steel in FO4 may be my favorite moment in any Fallout game. It is so freaking epic.

I'd say it's dealer's choice. Which of those descriptions sound best to you.

ETA: If you aren't listening to the radio while exploring the wasteland, I believe you are missing at least 30% of the experience. Gotta love all those oldies. If I hear any of those songs in the real world, I immediately have to go play Fallout.
I'm a huge gaming nerd at 51, love Witcher, Mass effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate etc.

I have tried playing FO 3 and 4 and played most of FO1 way back when. They never grab me like the other games and I could not figure out why but I think you nailed it here. I prefer linear games with some side quests it seems.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
C@LAg
bluefire579 said:

For those who haven't and want to play the games, Amazon has several of them available for free to celebrate the show premiering. Think you get access with just a Prime account. The only catch is some of them you have to use Luna, which is game streaming and reportedly not very good performance wise.

https://gaming.amazon.com/home
note: Some Amazon gimme games require you to do more than just claim them for them to be permanently added to your library. Some require you to at least install/run the game once.

Also note any limited time frame for claiming.
cone
AG
Fallout 2 is one of the greatest games of all-time

still holds up if you have patience for turn-based combat
Quad Dog
AG
Liked the first episode. They nailed the look and feel of the games.
Only complaint is that they used way to much slo-mo. I think the whole action scene of episode 1 was in slo-mo. Maybe they are trying to replicate VATS? Hopefully there will be less as the season goes on.
DallasTeleAg
I liked the slo mo, and it was definitely to give us that VATS and kill cam view from the games.
Quad Dog
AG
Maybe. I'm just so used to slo-mo bring a crutch for lesser shows to give their action meaning without earning it.
Velvet Jones
AG
Yeah I think it's definitely a nod to VATS.

Oh, and who's a good boy? Dogmeat is!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Episode 3
The freakin' water chip, lololol. This ol' Fallout 1 fan is rollin'
Thanks and gig'em
n_touch
KidDoc said:

DallasTeleAg said:

There's also no way you beat one of those before the show, let alone 3.

The main stories in all the games are "meh". The strength of the games are their visual storytelling and side quests throughout the world. I find the most enjoyment when I am truly role playing a vault dweller going out into the wasteland to explore, not a gamer who sits down and wants a linear narrative told to me.

If you only have time to experience one of the games before April 11th, that's hard to say.

New Vegas deals with what seems like important factions you'll get to meet in the show. However, that one is different from the other two. You are not a vault dweller in Fallout New Vegas, which is a big part of the other Fallout games. There are also several things in NV that deviate from the Bethesda Fallout games because it was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Fallout 3 is the first Bethesda Fallout game, and is beloved by many because it is great. How much better than FO4? I don't know if it's much. The dated mechanics, graphics, and combat may make it a little bit of a chore to go back and play without the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

FO4 is much more updated, has the best combat, and is a great game. The main quest is okay, but there are a lot of fantastic side quests and locations to find in the wasteland. The arrival of the Brotherhood of Steel in FO4 may be my favorite moment in any Fallout game. It is so freaking epic.

I'd say it's dealer's choice. Which of those descriptions sound best to you.

ETA: If you aren't listening to the radio while exploring the wasteland, I believe you are missing at least 30% of the experience. Gotta love all those oldies. If I hear any of those songs in the real world, I immediately have to go play Fallout.
I'm a huge gaming nerd at 51, love Witcher, Mass effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate etc.

I have tried playing FO 3 and 4 and played most of FO1 way back when. They never grab me like the other games and I could not figure out why but I think you nailed it here. I prefer linear games with some side quests it seems.

I remember when FO4 came out you could rent games at RedBox. I had never played any of them and tried it. I didn't like and was glad I didn't spend the money buying it. It was recommended by a fellow ag to give another go so I did. I am glad I did and hate when the amount of hours played pops up.
MaroonStain
AG
Ass jerky don't make itself
Deputy Travis Junior
I 100% agree with you that the games explored political themes, but they do so with nuance and nearly always couch subjects in shades of gray. There are no perfect actors. The brotherhood of steel helps the needy, but does so with extreme aloofness and will violently confiscate tech from those who depend on it. The legion are murderous psychos, but their zero tolerance approach brings order and eventually peace. The NCR is free and democratic, but corrupt, overly bureaucratic, and unresponsive. I don't think the creators are trying to say all these parties are morally equivalent, but they do want you to think about trade offs. If they deviate from this and a group is evil, it's usually humorously so (VaultTec and the ridiculous experiments).

I feared we'd get a bunch of nakedly transparent progressive lecturing. Glad to read that isn't the case.
Ag_0112358132134
I played Fallout 3 until I got out of the vault. Then promptly ran around in the open world for 20 minutes and got killed. Never went back to the game again, and never played any other Fallout games. And I don't even remember anything about Fallout 3 because it was probably 10 years ago that I tried it. I just remember leaving the vault.

I'm a gamer, but not very familiar at all with Fallout. I'll let you guys know my thoughts when I have time to watch.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just wrapped episode 4
This show does a better job showing how hard it is to be "good" in the wasteland than the games did!
Thanks and gig'em
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Episode 5
Wowwww. No more Shady Sands. Looks like the Brotherhood of Steel destroyed it? Or someone else destroyed it and the Brotherhood showed up to rescue survivors?

This show does such a good job emulating the games' vibes.
Random encounters
Scavenging
The sometimes slow mo violence
Every time Lucy tries to talk her way through something I feel like she's trying to pass a speech check
Loving it
Thanks and gig'em
Vince Blake
Laszlow as Mister Handy. Great stuff!
DallasTeleAg
Just binged to the end.

Damn.

That last episode.

I not even going to bother with posting spoiler tagged stuff until most of the rest of us finish, because... damn.
Urban Ag
AG
Going to start this Sunday with my teen boys when I get back from work.

One more question if you will.

If I have this straight, the series takes place 200 years after the nuke apocalypse. Goggins character, "the Ghoul" is clearly in the trailer scenes when the nukes start hitting LA. Is he 200+ years old? Is he some sort of nuked freak that can live that long?

thanks

DallasTeleAg
Okay, i'm going to just sum up my thoughts on the whole season without any big spoilers. If I do something light, i'll tag it.

I think Episodes 1 and 8 are definitely the best episodes. There was definitely a fair bit of meandering throughout the season, but hey, it's the wasteland, and "Thou shalt get sidetracked by bull**** every ******* time."

I would give Episode 1 a 9.5/10. The next few episodes after definitely slowed down from the big "Pilot", if you will. As we started to get into the back half of the season, we really started to uncover a lot of that classic Fallout darkness, which i was all about. I would say the last 4 episodes were stronger than 2-4. And then they end with that episode, which I would also give a 9.5/10. Still questions to be answered, and that final shot. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, because I would have done a spit take. ***Insert Leo pointing at the TV GIF***

At the end of the day, I would call the series a success. It captured the world perfectly. All the little easter eggs it gave us were fantastic, and I'm sure I missed a lot of them. I've played FO3 and FO4 a ton. However, I've only played New Vegas twice, and those playthroughs were over a decade ago. I never played FO or FO2, so would miss those references, if they were there. My biggest dread was too much woke stuffed in there, and thankfully there was woefully little. The shadows of Hollywood are there in very light ways, but never felt like anything was preaching to me.

The overall story to the show was 100% fallout, for me. It was a great Fallout story with your seemingly simple reason for leaving the vault, then all the mysteries and payoffs as you follow the main quest line. I thought it was a very solid Season 1 story.

The music. Yes. Give me that classic Fallout '50s music while **** is blowing up and going mad, and pump it directly into my veins. Not to mention (Ep6 spoiler)that one moment in the show where the Fallout 4 theme starts playing. I think I literally whooped out loud for that.

I liked the character of Lucy a lot. Definitely didn't feel like a Mary Sue, and she was a very endearing character. Ella Purnell did a great job in the role. I put her on that list of good female protagonists.

Max was hit or miss for me. There were some episodes, like Ep 7, where he was decent. However, he was the weakest character for me. He's just too often a blubbering weakling, which can get annoying.

Walton Goggins was straight up fantastic in this show. Whether when playing the Ghoul or in the flashbacks, I was all about his story. There's really nothing more to say about his performance.

Oh, and (Ep8 spoiler)finally getting "War. War never changes." in the final episode. I was yelling it out loud before she even said it. Jeez, i'm such a freaking fanboy of that crap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.