Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

45,932 Views | 534 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Hey...so.. um
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I always liked finishing Agatha's quest in FO3 so you could hear her violin music.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

The part of the teaser trailer where Nat King Cole starts playing is what actually began to get me excited.
I agree with this. I had seen all screenshots, which makes it look like they're doing good work on the visuals. The trailer starts, and I'm starting to get interested, but Nat King Cole starts playing, and it's like "Ok, I feel like they 'get' the game".

Still remains to be seen on the product, but I'm totally with you on the excitement factor.
Nanomachines son
BenTheGoodAg said:

Also, it's a little thing, but it's really nice hearing Nat King Cole in the trailer. I've always really liked the music in the games, though it does get repetitive when you put in a lot of time.

As an aside, the classical music in FO4 was a nice touch and hit different.

Every single Fallout game used classical pre 1950s music. If they include anything more modern than this, I'll be legit angry.

Unfortunately I don't hold much hope for this reason:

A female vault dweller from a fanbase that is almost 100% male is crazy. Women don't even know what Fallout is, much less having ever played the games. The only thing worse than Fallout would be Warhammer 40k in the male/female ratio.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Don't watch it if you don't want to be disappointed I guess?

The DEI stuff gets discussed ad naseum here. I don't like it when it's forced. But there are plenty of stories that are great, too. See Star Wars Sequels vs Rogue One.

Nothing from the trailer indicates she'll be an over-the-top bad-ass. If anything, the opposite. I'll wait to find out and enjoy it in the meantime. Not to mention that there are multiple character arcs to follow.
Eliminatus
AG
Please, please, PLEASEā€¦..don't **** this up Amazon.

Skyrim might be my favorite game overall (FO:NV a smidge lower) but Fallout is my favorite game universe and it's not even close.
Another Doug
AG
Nanomachines son said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Also, it's a little thing, but it's really nice hearing Nat King Cole in the trailer. I've always really liked the music in the games, though it does get repetitive when you put in a lot of time.

Every single Fallout game used classical pre 1950s music. If they include anything more modern than this, I'll be legit angry.

A female vault dweller from a fanbase that is almost 100% male is crazy. Women don't even know what Fallout is, much less having ever played the games. The only thing worse than Fallout would be Warhammer 40k in the male/female ratio.

You ever play the game? Story was awesome with a female main in 4. Mom gets to kill her elderly son.
jeffk
AG
They did say they wanted to tell a new story within the existing FO universe. Having the vault dweller be female is a way to do that. As a dude, that doesn't make me feel any less interested in tuning in. In most of the games, the vault dweller is sort of blank slate anyway.
Nanomachines son
Another Doug said:

Nanomachines son said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

You ever play the game? Story was awesome with a female main in 4. Mom gets to kill her elderly son.

95% of the PCs chose a male. Women don't play these games. It's the same with every single game that has a create a character system.
DallasTeleAg
I hate the DEI and girl boss stuff more than most, but I have created a female character in Fallout and Elder Scrolls games plenty of times.
AgDev01
AG
Nanomachines son said:

You have clearly never played FO76 if you think the fanbase is 100% male. Hell all of the the Bethesda/Obsidian Fallout games have been relatively popular with females. Either way that is completely inconsequential as the sex of the vault dweller is meaningless. All that matter is if they get the story right.
DallasTeleAg
There is no story they are adapting. They are adapting the world, and writing a story within that world.

What is most important is they get the world correct, imo.
Another Doug
AG
Maybe when fallout 1 came out, girls are pretty darn geeky these days. I typically choose the girl on my first play through.
Nanomachines son
Another Doug said:

Maybe when fallout 1 came out, girls are pretty darn geeky these days. I typically choose the girl on my first play through.

Stats prove otherwise. We know from games like Mass Effect that 82% chose male characters.

Also, when you exclude games like FarmVille, women don't really play any of these games.

This is going to be Halo'ed isn't it?
DallasTeleAg
I do have to say, you seem to be talking out of your ass. We literally know nothing about the story of this show. Maybe this vault had opened at an earlier point, and later completely shut down because of what they discovered or how they were impacted. There's no way for us to know the story.

Also, show me this data that Fallout players make over 80% male characters. Again, I hate DEI and everything about this woke, 3rd-wave feminist world we live in now, but you are just screaming at clouds right now.

I'm sure the majority of Fallout players are male, but that player base doesn't mean they are creating male characters in a video game. The choice of a character's gender or race has literally no impact on the world aside from maybe some dialogue choices.

Now, if they fill the show with woke garbage, then I will be the first to call it out. In the same way that a multi-racial Rings of Power is ridiculous, I believe a Fallout show stuffed full with woke garbage is also ridiculous. This is literally the remnants of a world based around a stylized 1950's America, so using it as a platform to push post 2020 agendas would feel forced and take me completely out of the show.
Squadron7
AG
I know it is Los Angeles.....but, who would you choice of actress to play Piper be?

I'm thinking a young Sandra Bullock.
bluefire579
AG
Quote:

Also, when you exclude games like FarmVille, women don't really play any of these games.
This statement has strong "women don't talk to me" vibes
Nanomachines son
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

I'm married with kids. None of the women I know my age really play video games at all (30s and 40s). Perhaps among Gen Z this is different but I doubt it's changed all that much.

Always funny to see the "incel" claims come out when you go against the narrative.
maverick2076
Nanomachines son said:

bluefire579 said:

Quote:

I'm married with kids. None of the women I know my age really play video games at all (30s and 40s). Perhaps among Gen Z this is different but I doubt it's changed all that much.

Always funny to see the "incel" claims come out when you go against the narrative.

Mid-forties, married for 17 years. My wife loves video games. We played Halo on co-op when we didn't have the money to go out. We are both huge Fallout fans. Even out 10 year old daughter plays Fallout Shelter.
YouBet
AG
I do not know a single female in my real world circles that play video games. I've always been mystified by all these supposed women that play video games. They are unicorns to me.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to this show. Love Fallout and wish there was a new game coming out. Maybe there is and I'm unaware?

DallasTeleAg
YouBet said:

Having said that, I'm looking forward to this show. Love Fallout and wish there was a new game coming out. Maybe there is and I'm unaware?
Lawl...

Not for maybe another decade. Elder Scrolls VI is the next Bethesda game, and that isn't expected for another 5-6 years.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

YouBet said:

Lawl...

Not for maybe another decade. Elder Scrolls VI is the next Bethesda game, and that isn't expected for another 5-6 years.

Well that sucks but I'll take Elder Scrolls VI.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
My wife, 40, loves to play Mario kart with me and often plays games on her phone. She remembers being a kid and liking Nintendo, but feeling all the games were being made for boys because they all had male leads. There weren't any female protagonists for her to relate to.

Which, you know, might be why you're seeing more shows and games with female leads. Whatever the male-to-female ratio for fallout players is today. I bet more women will pick the next one up if we get a successful fallout tv show with a female protagonist. And guess what? A larger player base = more investment and more, better games. This could be a big win for anyone who loves that fallout universe.
Thanks and gig'em
Saxsoon
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

My wife, 40, loves to play Mario kart with me and often plays games on her phone. She remembers being a kid and liking Nintendo, but feeling all the games were being made for boys because they all had male leads. There weren't any female protagonists for her to relate to.

Which, you know, might be why you're seeing more shows and games with female leads. Whatever the male-to-female ratio for fallout players is today. I bet more women will pick the next one up if we get a successful fallout tv show with a female protagonist. And guess what? A larger player base = more investment and more, better games. This could be a big win for anyone who loves that fallout universe.

But WOKE
Vince Blake
Aggie_Journalist said:

I remember in the 80s my friends and I losing our **** when learning that Samus Aran is a woman.
AgDev01
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

YouBet said:

Lawl...

There is the rumored remake for FO3 and with inExile and Obsidian under MS i wouldn't be shocked to see one of them make a game in the mean time. Avowed releases next year, they could move to NV2 after that.
jeffk
AG
Nanomachines son said:

If "ugh, they made one of the leads a woman now no one is going to watch this show!" is "going against the narrative" then I guess you nailed it.
jeffk
AG
I always thought Florida would be a great setting for a FO game. Giant mutated swamp creatures, pirates, knock-off Disney parks, etc.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The PNW would be pretty great, too.

The cascades or the Columbia make for good natural barriers
Lots of modern military bases
Also lots of old WW1/2 era military bases (I already half expect a ghoul to be waiting for me in those dark bunkers!)
Lots of tech companies, which could make for cool ruins with crazy AI, robots, and weapons hidden in them
Lots of survivalist communities in the boonies
Huge variety in terrain types. From snowy mountain tops to volcanos, rain forests, and desert, Washington has it all.
You could throw in a goonies-inspired dungeon
Hanford nuclear site (practically a real-life "Glow" with all the radiation there)
Some really quirky towns - google "Leavenworth" and "Winthrop." One is built in the style of a Bavarian mountain village and the other is a Wild West town. Fallout could have a lot of fun applying its signature humor to that.

Shoot. It would be easy to use the Columbia as a border and say the Hanford nuclear sludge seeped out and irradiated the river, making it impassible.
Thanks and gig'em
n_touch
YouBet said:

I do not know a single female in my real world circles that play video games. I've always been mystified by all these supposed women that play video games. They are unicorns to me.

With the timeline that Bethesda has alluded to, the next one is liable to live action so keep training on the current ones and stocking up dandy boy apples and yum yum eggs.

At this point the scheduled Next Gen update may not even be happening for FO4. It was supposed to be released this year. Clock is ticking.
Nanomachines son
YouBet said:

Next Fallout game will be 2035 at this rate, especially after Starfield is having issues.

Bethesda has major limitations with their existing engine, they need to scrap it and move to Unreal Engine 5. It is really dated now.
TexAgBolter
AG
jeffk
AG
No idea if the story will be any good, but man, they've absolutely nailed the Fallout vibe here.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Walton Goggins alone makes this worth giving a shot, but they nailed the atmosphere and look for the show. I hope this is good!
Velvet Jones
AG
Replaying Fallout 3 now, and you're nuts to play a male character. The Black Widow perk is a must.

I'm looking forward to the show. Hopefully it's not another Wheel of Time disaster.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
jeffk said:

No idea if the story will be any good, but man, they've absolutely nailed the Fallout vibe here.
Yep. Loved hearing "I don't want to set the world on fire". Great trailer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.