Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

48,875 Views | 543 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Velvet Jones said:

Replaying Fallout 3 now, and you're nuts to play a male character. The Black Widow perk is a must.

I'm looking forward to the show. Hopefully it's not another Wheel of Time disaster.

Or Halo disaster.

This trailer felt like something that will be played at the theaters. I'm hyped!
Faustus
DallasTeleAg said:

I read somewhere that this takes place about 9 years after FO4. Maybe there's some new history with a conflict between the NCR and BoS? That could add some interesting conflict in the show.
It is set after all the games.

https://screenrant.com/fallout-show-timeline-games-comparison-explained-creators/

Quote:

Yeah. It's set in the world of Fallout, but it's a new story that comes, sort of, after the events we've seen. So it really is, the show is built on like 25 years of creativity and thinking and building. And we sort of thought the best thing to do is to

continue that, versus retread it. Because that's sort of what has worked with Fallout over the years. It's traded hands, it's changed, it's been altered, and it's a living thing. And yeah, we kind of felt like we ought to take a swing at trying to build a new piece on top of all of that.

Shout out to the Skyrim fans earlier in the thread for this blurb (albeit 4 years is a long time given how much time has already passed unless you're GRR Martin).

https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-tv-show-a-non-interactive-version-of-fallout-5-says-executive-producer-jonathan-nolan

Quote:

. . .
In an interview with Total Film (via GamesRadar), executive producer Jonathan Nolan said the project is "almost like we're Fallout 5". "From the first conversation with Todd [Howard, Bethesda development chief and executive producer on the show] we were most excited about an original story.
. . .
"Each of the [Fallout] games is a discrete story different city, distinct protagonist within the same mythology. Our series sits in relation to the games as the games sit in relation to each other. It's almost like we're Fallout 5. I don't want to sound presumptuous, but it's just a non-interactive version of it, right?"
. . .
This isn't the first time the creators of the Fallout TV show have compared it to Fallout 5. In December, executive producer and showrunner Graham Wagner said similar: "We didn't start from a place of characters from the games. We set things after. We kind of told ourselves, this is Fallout 5, this is just another installation, and we're starting with fresh snow."

The show revolves around Vault 33 and is set in Los Angeles. It follows three characters, each recently showcased in posters: Ella Purnell's Lucy, Aaron Moten's Maximus, and Walton Goggins' The Ghoul. Each character experiences a different part of the world. Lucy is from Vault 33, Maximus is part of the Brotherhood of Steel, and The Ghoul has been around for hundreds of years and was there even before the blast.
. . .
As for Fallout 5, in June 2022 Todd Howard confirmed to IGN that it would be Bethesda Game Studios' next game after The Elder Scrolls 6, which itself would follow Starfield. "Yes, Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production and, you know, we're going to be doing Fallout 5 after that, so our slate's pretty full going forward for a while," Howard said at the time. "We have some other projects that we look at from time to time as well." Given we're not expecting Elder Scrolls 6 until 2028 at the earliest, it will be a long time before Fallout 5 comes out.
DallasTeleAg
I'm in.

DallasTeleAg
I like what their saying, especially about the respect for the IP and focusing on what the fans want. Very similar to the interviews we heard from Peter Jackson about the LotR.

Average Joe
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I'm in.

Yup. That looks way better than I thought it would.
Eliminatus
AG
Can't wait for the radscorpion jump scare.

Trailer looks great and I am allowing myself to be optimistic. I consider myself a near superfan and unashamedly a massive lore nerd. So will go in with a very high bar, which I hate honestly, but it is what it is.

The main question I have for now is where the locus of the story arc will lie. Since this is American media, I am going to assume that it will be on the main character. Makes sense of course. But with my love for the setting foremost, I selfishly hope for a character surviving and moving through a Fallout universe. IOW, I want this show to be a Fallout universe explored by the people in it. And not a group of people explored themselves by just using the Fallout universe around to test them. If any of that makes sense to y'all.

BTW, I will let a little pessimism fly here. Calling it now. BoS guy is going to pull a Finn. (I hope I am so f'ing wrong here)
DallasTeleAg
I'm sure they also hold off on showing a Deathclaw until it releases. That will be a big scene when we first see one. Can't wait to see what that looks like.
bluefire579
AG
Quote:

In an interview with Total Film (via GamesRadar), executive producer Jonathan Nolan said the project is "almost like we're Fallout 5". "From the first conversation with Todd [Howard, Bethesda development chief and executive producer on the show] we were most excited about an original story.
Unless there's enemies clipping into the terrain, NPCs trying to walk through walls, and wonky ragdoll physics, then it's not Fallout 5
Claude!
Eliminatus said:

BTW, I will let a little pessimism fly here. Calling it now. BoS guy is going to pull a Finn. (I hope I am so f'ing wrong here)

I'm going in with moderate expectations. The trailers have nailed it, which is good. The director of the first few episodes, is apparently a huge fan of the series, which is good. Todd Howard is involved which…I think he mostly gets Fallout as an IP.

The showrunners I'm uncertain of. One of them has some solid credits under his belt (Portlandia, Silicon Valley). The other one co-wrote Captain Marvel (thats probably a little unfair). I've read a couple of interviews where they talk about social commentary in Fallout. That's definitely true and a major part of the Fallout package, but I don't trust Hollywood to not **** it up, especially when one of the showrunners is a Harvard grad (again, probably a little unfair).
DallasTeleAg
I go forward into any modern show with hesitance. What gives me more optimism is what the cast was saying in that interview. The focus on giving the fans what they want and respecting the source would only be verbalized if it's something they have discussed behind the scenes. Especially with Jonathan Nolan being a fan of the series.

Does that guarantee us a great story? No, but as long as they give us this fully realized world, it should be fun.

I personally need great characters, so I'm looking forward to the character development within the story. I am especially intrigued with Goggins' character. We've never really been given much story in any of the games for a ghoul. A little here and there, but focusing on one with his own history and 200 years roaming the wasteland is very interesting.

For me, I hope the main character is shown to have many flaws and issues that she has to grow through. You know... actual character development. As she becomes more competent, I want those "level ups" to feel earned. I have no issues with a female main character as long as that is the case. Hell, like I said earlier, I play a female character in Fallout many times. From that trailer, it very much feels like she will be that "Fish out of water" that has a lot to learn and grow from.
DallasTeleAg
Holy carp! Was rewatching the trailer and just noticed this screenshot. I was right, definitely NCR in the show. Interesting...

Claude!
Yep, confirmed to be the Los Angeles area. I think in one scene, you can see part of a sign for Shady Sands.
Eliminatus
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Holy carp! Was rewatching the trailer and just noticed this screenshot. I was right, definitely NCR in the show. Interesting...

I leaned forward and just breathed out a "YES" when I saw this. Hype is real.

If that matchup excites you, there is a fantastic youtube creator who makes battle scenes from video games and he has been working through a Fallout BoS vs. NCR one set at HELIOS One for the past year. He releases his works in progress every couple of months before he releases a final version complete version. Up to 10 now for the FO version. Here is the first. Awesome stuff if you love gratuitous violence and want to see Power Armored dudes doing Power Armored stuff.

DallasTeleAg
I just hope they don't make either the BoS, the NCR, or any faction necessarily the "bad" guys. I hope they keep it morally grey and really make it a hard choice for our protagonists which sides they take.
Urban Ag
AG
This looks like so much f'n fun.

Someone help a brother out as I don't do video games at least not since like mid 90's. It's post apocalyptic, wiki said the result of a nuclear war between the US and the Chicoms.

This is about 200 years later?

What's the deal with the 1940's/50's vibe?

I asked my 18 year old and he just kind of grunted and said "I don't remember, only old people like you play Fallout". LOL.
Eliminatus
AG
Claude! said:

Eliminatus said:

I'm going in with moderate expectations. The trailers have nailed it, which is good. The director of the first few episodes, is apparently a huge fan of the series, which is good. Todd Howard is involved which…I think he mostly gets Fallout as an IP.

The showrunners I'm uncertain of. One of them has some solid credits under his belt (Portlandia, Silicon Valley). The other one co-wrote Captain Marvel (thats probably a little unfair). I've read a couple of interviews where they talk about social commentary in Fallout. That's definitely true and a major part of the Fallout package, but I don't trust Hollywood to not **** it up, especially when one of the showrunners is a Harvard grad (again, probably a little unfair).

I know from my very brief forays here on the E! board that politics/societal issues are contentious here. Which is fine and understandable, but I can't separate my fears of how it will creep into this show somewhat. And that is because I can't ignore the nature of the BoS faction itself. It is a borderline xenophobic and ultranationalist/fascist lite style of organization. At least one of the closest that will come to screen in recent memory. Now, whether it actually is or not is extremely debatable but let's be honest here. Your average American consumer is shockingly ignorant of political system and nuance. It's either democracy or "Literally Hitler" to most.

So if the BoS is given that identity of quasi-fascism, or something near it, it is Hollywoods ultimate bogeyman. No way it is shown in any light other than ultimate evil and not allowed to give the BoS a fair shake at being a more neutral faction and not just a reskin of the First Order baddies. Could be wrong, and I hope I am, but the BoS could be problematic if they cut corners and don't actually delve into them at all. Which given budgets and air time.... I say all this as someone who is really not that sensitive to the Hollywood vs politics war. Hell, to be honest, pulling a Finn would be the easiest way to cheaply write out a BoS character and giving him the "Are we the baddies?" storyline would be the easy vehicle for that.

Again, just conjecture and talking out of my ass as none of us knows what is going to happen yet but I see that above scenario being extremely feasible and I don't want that at all.
DallasTeleAg
It's part of the aesthetic and charm of the world.

Think of the fallout universe as an alternate universe where we never left the aesthetic of the1950's, and everything is more analog and nuclear powered. The cars themselves are powered by small nuclear reactors.

Everything is very "Americana" but branded in a nuclear way. For example, the most popular soda is Nuka-Cola, instead of Coca Cola, and you see that branding all over the place.

This is not, "What if our world experienced nuclear war in 2077".

Fallout is very much both serious but also comical. It's a brutal world where just about everything tries to kills you, and there are many factions at play all over the wasteland with their own agendas. But at the same time, there's a bit of whimsy.

DallasTeleAg
I would never describe the BoS in that way. They are more of a martial cult that adheres to a strict structure and code that seeks order. Just like the real world, there are good guys and bad guys in that group.

If they make any of the factions outright evil, then they will lose me. They will have abandoned everything that makes Fallout great. I just have faith they will do a good job based on that interview. Goggins mentions the importance of the characters making "choices", just like the game. I want to feel conflicted with every choice the main characters make in the show. If we are not coming onto this board debating whether the right choice was made in each episode, then I think they failed.
DallasTeleAg
The opening cinematic to Fallout 4 is great, and worth a watch. However, truly "getting" the world and aesthetic is not really possible unless you experience the lore and worldbuilding in the game. It really is a "show me" don't "tell me" type of world. The storytelling is in the post fallout environment you explore.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
What if that idyllic future everyone imagined in the 50's happened with personal robots and Nuclear everything and then someone nuked the hell out of it.

That's basically the gist on the setting.

And then what stories can be told in the ruins of that world.
Thanks and gig'em
DallasTeleAg
Aggie_Journalist said:

What if that idyllic future everyone imagined in the 50's happened with personal robots and Nuclear everything and then someone nuked the hell out of it.

That's basically the gist on the setting.

And then what stories can be told in the ruins of that world.
And stylized x 100
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The line about how everyone wants to save the world, they just have different ideas of how to do that is very in line with the history of conflict in the fallout universe
Thanks and gig'em
DallasTeleAg
Aggie_Journalist said:

The line about how everyone wants to save the world, they just have different ideas of how to do that is very in line with the history of conflict in the fallout universe
Exactly.
Eliminatus
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I would never describe the BoS in that way. They are more of a martial cult that adheres to a strict structure and code that seeks order. Just like the real world, there are good guys and bad guys in that group.

If they make any of the factions outright evil, then they will lose me. They will have abandoned everything that makes Fallout great. I just have faith they will do a good job based on that interview. Goggins mentions the importance of the characters making "choices", just like the game. I want to feel conflicted with every choice the main characters make in the show. If we are not coming onto this board debating whether the right choice was made in each episode, then I think they failed.
I agree that the BoS is not that either. But again, Americans are frankly dumb as bricks when it comes to actual political systems. And the BoS is a little toooooo close to that edge of martial power under a unified commander and their disdain for outsiders and "abominations". The "BoS are Nazi's" debate has been raging for at least a decade that I am aware of and I KNOW it is going to pop into mainstream (at least in terms of this show) when new viewers start googling things.

I hope you are right and I think a dedicated team of writers with passion for the lore can pull it off, but Hollywood has shown me extremely mixed results in that regard in my lifetime...
Urban Ag
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

The opening cinematic to Fallout 4 is great, and worth a watch. However, truly "getting" the world and aesthetic is not really possible unless you experience the lore and worldbuilding in the game. It really is a "show me" don't "tell me" type of world. The storytelling is in the post fallout environment you explore.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have a feeling this has the potential to go all Game of Thrones. You know, where the book readers came to hate those who only watched the series, and vice-versa.
Eliminatus
AG
Urban Ag said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have a feeling this has the potential to go all Game of Thrones. You know, where the book readers came to hate those who only watched the series, and vice-versa.
Oh, undoubtedly. I'll probably be one myself bursting in with an "ACKSHUALLY!!!".

That intro video is great and have watched it more times than I care to admit to. To further add a little, a lot of the game settings start with Vaults. Which are the famed underground nuclear bunkers but were actually used in this setting. And these are very large and organized ones. So the world burns but you have pockets of humanity that survived in these vaults and continued in these small biomes of largely uninterrupted cultures and lifestyles. Fast forward 200ish years and people are venturing out into the world for the first time from the incredibly safe and pampered bubbles, for various reasons. A world that adapted to the new reality of post apocalypse while the Vaults stayed static. Judging from this trailers this is the setup as well. A fish out of water start for an ingorant Vault dweller. So as a player, it is up to you to head off and learn the new ways and how to survive. That struggle and all the interactions with the natives of the colloquially named "Wasteland" is what the games and most of the lore is about.

One common theme to all of it? It's prison rules.
Velvet Jones
AG
The Brotherhood of Steel are probably the the closest things to "Good guys" in the Fallout universe. They want to preserve technology and restore order, often in unpleasant ways. Yes, they will kill people who oppose them. There are also different factions.

Vault-Tec is undeniably evil. Period. Doesn't mean vault dwellers are, but Vault-Tec Corp is/was evil.

Most wastelanders are just trying to stay alive another day. Ghouls are either feral and really, really nasty (hi glowing ones) or intelligent and generally good folks.
BenTheGoodAg
AG

DallasTeleAg
I doubt that is the case. Because there is no actual story they need to adhere to, really all we gamers will be loving are the easter eggs they give us. As the long as the world is true to the game, we are all going to just be enjoying a new story together.
TexAgBolter
AG
I'm crossing my fingers for a cameo Ron Pearlman voice over to introduce the first episode with the "War, war never changes" line.
MaroonStain
AG
When does this kick off?
dcaggie04
AG
MaroonStain said:

When does this kick off?

All episodes will release on April 11.
Velvet Jones
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I doubt that is the case. Because there is no actual story they need to adhere to, really all we gamers will be loving are the easter eggs they give us. As the long as the world is true to the game, we are all going to just be enjoying a new story together.
This is undoubtedly true.

I showed this to my wife who is definitely NOT a gamer and while she said she was interested in the show, she looked at me like I was on crack when I rewound the trailer to see what trait/skill was on the bobblehead. My visible disappointment when there wasn't one bewildered her.
heddleston
AG
So if one has never played a fallout game where should they start?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
My Opinion - Start with Fallout 3 -> New Vegas -> Fallout 4. Skip Fallout 76.

Go back and try Fallout 1, if you like it, do Fallout 2. They're pretty dated and a totally different gaming style, but some fun stories

I don't think any of the stories really need to build on one another, but if you go Fallout 4 first, Fallout 3 and NV will be much harder to get into. Especially 3, where you can't use iron sights.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.