Stranger Things - new Netflix series

100,058 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Also the most unrealistic thing about that show is the final boss of a 10 hour campaign being 1 shotted by a fireball.

That or will is a terrible DM.

Actually, that whole scene seemed clearly self-referential to me. The boys pointed out the unfinished threads in the campaign (show) and that it ended too soon. Clearly there needs to be a sequel.

Really enjoyed this show.
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
Also the most unrealistic thing about that show is the final boss of a 10 hour campaign being 1 shotted by a fireball.

That or will is a terrible DM.
yeah but no one had really had much of a chance to kill it. took a lot of planning I dont mind it dying easily once presented in front of them.
israeliag
AG
makeitstranger.com
Dro07
AG
makeitstrange... sounds like a normal friday night
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
In-depth look at all of the 80s-movie references and other easter eggs:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
These kids are CRAZY talented.

GCRanger
AG
we finally got to watch this and binged it over the last week. Wife and I both thought it was great (both of us born in late 70s) and are really looking forward to season 2.

A couple ways I think this could go and others have already mentioned
- Demagorgan is a manifestation of Eleven's subconscious
- The alt universe has more monsters and will be explored more in season 2.
- Maybe some Stephen King The Mist type stuff happening with more monsters coming through
- Slugs start infestation in our world
- Dr. Brenner alive but now has some kind of connection to the Upside Down as the monster attacked him
- I could really see this slowly expanding outside of the events in this town and get more into an x-files crazy government experiments thing.
Serious Lee
ive had this on my computer for month now. still not sure if im going to like it but there is **** on tv right now
Bunk Moreland
Who out of the kids do you think has star quality staying power as they age?.. I think the girl and the black kid for sure.

The kid who plays Mike could end up being the star of whatever the 2020's version of the social network is.
Sex Panther
AG
Eleven fa sho
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
The kid who plays Mike could end up being the star of whatever the 2020's version of the social network is.

he will reprise the role of william lichter in the sequel to can't hardly wait.

Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

he will reprise the role of william lichter in the sequel to can't hardly wait.

DTP02
AG
The boys are all too goofy-looking to ever be stars.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Who out of the kids do you think has star quality staying power as they age?.. I think the girl and the black kid for sure.

The girl playing El will likely peak as a child/teen actor, but then come back in 30 years to play a mom in a series nostaligic for the 2010's nostalgia of the 1980's.
rononeill
I'm on episode 6 and I'm amazed there's been no outrage over the kids riding bikes without helmets! Our kids have no idea...
gigemJTH12
AG
Yall dont think toothless has a future as an actor? I absolutely think he will stick in the industry playing the quirky funny guy role. He is great.
Bunk Moreland
I think he'll stick around. I just sorta meant...who has the track to explode into a mega star.
jr15aggie
AG
Just finished. Thought it was great, but I'm a child of the 80's so that made a huge difference for me! 80's is still my favorite genre of music and some of my favorite movies & shows are from that decade. I'm in for season 2!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Al Bula
AG
Just finished. Overall, this was a great story. I think alternate universes are fascinating. if you whip up a scenario where a government group experiments with women until they figure out how to create telepathic humans and then further poke at unintended consequences of abusing telepathy, that is immediately interesting to me.

That said, there was simply too much 80s stuff going on and the nostalgia could have been dialed back a notch. With The data analytics used by netflix, Netflix knew with probably 80% confidence that stranger things would be a big time hit. i was born in 81 so a lot resonated with me, but my brain kept telling me "hey, this is too much overstated 80s pop culture to absorb." Kinds like eating a dessert that is too rich: you know it is too much.

In any event, great series overall. How did Mike get away from the monster at the beginning? it took him and Barb to the upside down but seems to have trouble neutralizing them right off the bat. Maybe it is disoriented after it returns from our demension to the upside down.

In summary, the story was good enough to not need the 80s nostalgia to prop it up. The story could have easily taken place in 2016.

Sex Panther
AG
RPM said:

In summary, the story was good enough to not need the 80s nostalgia to prop it up. The story could have easily taken place in 2016.

That was literally the whole point
FL_Ag1998
AG
I agree with RPM.

It's like every time I watch Indiana Jones I think to myself, "If only they would have stopped trying to be so much like a movie from the 1930's - 40's!"
HtownAg92
AG
Born in 81 but a lot of this 1983 setting resonated with you? Was there a scene when a toddler crapped in a pre-Velcro diaper?
aggieforester05
AG
I was born in '83 and this resonated well with me as well. My experiences were from later in the 80's obviously, but they were much more similar to the stranger things kid's childhoods, than what kids experience today.
redd38
AG
Lucas (the black kid) will be at the Brazos Valley Comic Con in a few weeks.
Humorous Username
AG
DTP02 said:

The boys are all too goofy-looking to ever be stars.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
israeliag
AG
I've been a bit too into Synthwave lately. For those who enjoyed the original soundtrack of the show, give these a try (if only for their perfect names and album art):
The Midnight
Timecop1983
Night Runner
Com Truise
MW03
AG
Com Truise is excellent driving music.
VanZandt92
RPM said:

Just finished. Overall, this was a great story. I think alternate universes are fascinating. if you whip up a scenario where a government group experiments with women until they figure out how to create telepathic humans and then further poke at unintended consequences of abusing telepathy, that is immediately interesting to me.

That said, there was simply too much 80s stuff going on and the nostalgia could have been dialed back a notch. With The data analytics used by netflix, Netflix knew with probably 80% confidence that stranger things would be a big time hit. i was born in 81 so a lot resonated with me, but my brain kept telling me "hey, this is too much overstated 80s pop culture to absorb." Kinds like eating a dessert that is too rich: you know it is too much.

In any event, great series overall. How did Mike get away from the monster at the beginning? it took him and Barb to the upside down but seems to have trouble neutralizing them right off the bat. Maybe it is disoriented after it returns from our demension to the upside down.

I quite liked the 80s throwback. And you can never have too much throwback. See American Graffitti.
PooDoo
AG
You'd believe a modern day story where kids ride their bikes together, have little supervision, and play D&D?

FL_Ag1998
AG
Sorry RPM, not to bust on you too much, but I just came across a post you made about Charlie Strong back in 2011 when we were in the market for a new coach...

Quote:

My gut instinct means nada but gut instinct feels better about Strong over Sumlin or Smart.

Man....Strong over Sumlin...too much 80's vibe in a movie dedicated to the 80's....you should probably stop listening to your gut if you haven't already.
hph6203
AG
Stocker.
FL_Ag1998
AG
hph6203 said:

Stocker.

Keep that zoo **** in the zoo.
Al Bula
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Sorry RPM, not to bust on you too much, but I just came across a post you made about Charlie Strong back in 2011 when we were in the market for a new coach...

Quote:

My gut instinct means nada but gut instinct feels better about Strong over Sumlin or Smart.

Man....Strong over Sumlin...too much 80's vibe in a movie dedicated to the 80's....you should probably stop listening to your gut if you haven't already.
LMFAO! Fair enough! Good find

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.