CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR SPOILER/DISCUSSION THREAD

73,353 Views | 633 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AliasMan02
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Smalleville, where superman grew up, is rural america. Spiderman can only get around where there are tall buildings. It's been lampooned by Deadpool and critics everywhere.

"I'm in kansas, let me just spray my Web into the air and the frame of the shot will make you think I attached to something when it's just farmland."
I get that...but in the context of whatever argument you're trying to frame around BP being boring...or whatever, I have no clue what that's supposed to mean.
The Debt
The context is that his tech makes him badass. My argument is that gizmos aren't impressive, because they aren't central to the hero.

The most advanced tech on earth built him a plane. Bfd. People have already said, "he's strong, agile, and clawed" (so wolverine, sans healing).

How do his powers excite you to watch his story? Truth is, he's pretty meh, but we're all gonna go see it because it will play some role in the mcu.
TajMaballer
AG
I'm interested in a King who protects his country. The relationship with his people is something we don't see from a superhero movie. But hey, if that doesn't do it for you, then it doesn't do it for you
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Spiderman can't visit Smallville either. But he isn't claiming to have the most advance tech in the world.
Of course not. They are in different Universes.
fig96
AG
I'm only posting this because it's really well done and funny, I think the general argument being made is kinda dumb and I can't wait for Black Panther.

FTACO97
AG
You guys could suck the fun out of anything...
rhutton125
AG
Things I'm looking forward to in a Black Panther solo movie:
- unique setting
- diverse cast (rumor once was that it could be 90% black)
- potential appearances by any of Team Cap, conceivably
- geopolitical thriller
- well-choreographed martial arts
- supposedly will lead up to Infinity War, somehow
- Boseman is a strong actor

Most of those are about the movie instead of the character. But I like that the hero is a king, is very intelligent, rules a secluded and unique country, brought us some of the best martial arts we'd seen in 13 films, and is someone we'd never seen before in live action. I demanded fisticuffs, and the new Black Panther was there to deliver.

Also, I think they got a really, really good director for the solo film. All positive signs.
Bockaneer
AG
Wouldn't that kinda be like Thor?
TajMaballer
AG

quote:
Also, I think they got a really, really good director for the solo film. All positive signs.

I can't wait for the one shot fight of BP and Man-Ape.
Bulldog73
AG
quote:
Wouldn't that kinda be like Thor?
Most of Thor wasn't interaction with and protecting his country/land/planet. Sure, some took place there, but predominantly it took place on Midguard, right?
Bockaneer
AG
I'm no expert... I was just thinking of motivation.
The Debt
quote:
You guys could suck the fun out of anything...

I was born with this gift. Just wait till you see my plane. It's super advanced.
TajMaballer
AG
Kinda, although Bulldog is right. The Thor movies haven't been about him as ruler (Odin had that role).
wangus12
AG
quote:
diverse cast (rumor once was that it could be 90% black)
How is that Diverse if they are 90% black sounds very not diversed. Also, they're in the middle of freaking Africa, of course they're black.

Still super pumped for his solo film.
rhutton125
AG
Good points...BUT, we'll see if it actually happens. Wouldn't it be just like Hollywood to have a movie set in Africa with an African cast but find the way to market the white costars front and center?

But yeah. The BP movie should do a lot to address the annoying debate of diversity in superhero films. It'll be the first major black-led superhero film, if you don't count Shaquille O'Neal's Steel!
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Good points...BUT, we'll see if it actually happens. Wouldn't it be just like Hollywood to have a movie set in Africa with an African cast but find the way to market the white costars front and center?

But yeah. The BP movie should do a lot to address the annoying debate of diversity in superhero films. It'll be the first major black-led superhero film, if you don't count Shaquille O'Neal's Steel!
Uhh Spawn!
The Debt
Blade
Sex Panther
AG
Hellllooo??

nickstro66
AG
Speaking of Black Panther. Michael B Jordan has been cast

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-michael-b-jordan-893845
The Debt
Probably the best superhero intro scene (ignoring TDK prologue)

rhutton125
AG
First in the modern era, then!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-michael-b-jordan-893845
Must be trying to make sure he doesn't get booked for another ****-tastic 4.

This actually is great, he was fantastic in Creed.
PatAg
AG
quote:
Probably the best superhero intro scene (ignoring TDK prologue)

Poor Lem. Dude cannot catch a break.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Must be trying to make sure he doesn't get booked for another ****-tastic 4.

This actually is great, he was fantastic in Creed.
Interested to see him take on a potential villain role.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
How young must one be to consider a film from 1998 to be outside the "modern era?"
jeffk
AG
Movie last night - awesome.

Finishing this thread this morning - awesome.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
quote:
How young must one be to consider a film from 1998 to be outside the "modern era?"

Considering that most sagas have all been abandoned or rebooted since 1998, I'd say not that young. We've had two Fantastic Four attempts, two Batmans, three Spider-Men, etc. 1998 was pre-Y2K bug. Ancient stuff.

Not that it matters, but in my mind the modern comic book film era starts with 2008's Iron Man. There are some outliers before and after (Batman Begins, good, Green Lantern, bad). And in that era, there hasn't been a black lead, that I recall. People are always complaining about that.
Trident 88
AG
Just saw it last night. I think it's the best Cap movie and on par with the best MCU movies. There were soooo many characters, but they succeeded in giving each of them good screen time and lines without hurting the movie. Quite the opposite in fact.

I read this thread rather quickly, but I'll try to add only new observations. There have been some really good ones made so far.

I loved the upgraded Falcon and how they gave him more screen time to showcase his capabilities and comedic ability. He's not just a dude with a "flying costume".

For the dad who asked if it was okay to take kids: I wouldn't take a little kid, but I think it's generally okay. If you're averse to salty language, I was surprised to hear Black Widow say "God____", and someone else (Falcon?) said "sh_t".

Stark upgrading Spiderman's suit (scene after credits). I'll be interested to see if we get a taste of these upgrades during the Spiderman movie. Could be very cool or meh. Spider doesn't really need the extra powers.

I thought the CGI of Spiderman at the airport could have been a little better, but so what... He was hilarious!

Black Panther - I read comics when I was a kid back in the 70's. I remember this superhero, but I don't remember his suit being vibranium/bulletproof, or the sharp fingernails. Maybe my memory is faulty, but if they were added in this movie, they were a nice touch. However, the fingernails popping out/in did remind me of this:

Also from the comics, I remember Vision and Scarlet Witch having a special relationship, so it was good to see the movie moving in that direction. I won't say more because it could end up being a spoiler.

Observations already made, but I have to repeat them:

Antman turning into a giant at the airport. Bad. Ass. And Paul Rudd kills as usual.

Tony Stark is so damn flawed. He's basically Jerry Jones - i.e., he really should just keep paying for everything and let Cap be the leader. RDJ has done a fantastic job of making me dislike this character even as I enjoy his clever lines and the way Iron Man kicks ass.

Why the F would there be a camera located where Bucky killed Stark's parents? Stupid.
redd38
AG
quote:

Why the F would there be a camera located where Bucky killed Stark's parents? Stupid.

I hear they're going to release a movie of that camera's origin story in the next year or so.

But seriously, all I need is to be able to think of a couple plausible reasons for a particular situation for me to not get hung up on it as a plot hole. I have no problem thinking of reasons the camera might be there so that part of the movie is no issue for me.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I thought it was terrible.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

Good talk. Excellent post. Would read again.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:

Good talk. Excellent post. Would read again.
I've read that post 20 times now...

and it keeps getting funnier EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:

I hear they're going to release a movie of that camera's origin story in the next year or so.

But seriously, all I need is to be able to think of a couple plausible reasons for a particular situation for me to not get hung up on it as a plot hole. I have no problem thinking of reasons the camera might be there so that part of the movie is no issue for me.
Agreed, but based on footage, someone else must have been there with a videocamera to shoot the scene from various angles. It was just odd and the only time during the movie where I thought "Huh?" instead of "Awesome!" They should have just had a Russian step out of the woods after the crash. But then, you're left wondering why they even filmed it in the first place.

Screw it. If that's my only complaint about this movie, it's too minor to GAS.
jeffk
AG
Especially when the giving directive was specifically "no witnesses."

He's just the most successful spy in the world. Oh, there's a video camera here? I'll just put a bullet into it after the fact because that's how video cameras work.

The video was needed for the plot twist, but it would have been better had it been explained to have been taken by the Russians for verification purposes or something. Maybe WS wore a camera or something?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.