Ghostbusters trailer

47,370 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Oh I agree. I'm just saying I don't blame them for taking an acting job that will pay them money.

Same. Maybe this is Wiigs "one for the studios" and her next film will be amazing.
Bobcat06
AG
This is my post from the thread last summer:
quote:
In general if you remake a classic movie, it will never be anywhere as good as the original. Robocop, Total Recall, Just Go with It, King Kong, Arthur, Red Dawn, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Day the Earth Stood Still, & Manchurian Candidate are all examples of subpar remakes of classic movies.

However, if a remake is based on an obscure (or foreign) movie that the audience doesn't know about, the film is usually good. Departed, Ocean's Eleven, & Vanilla Sky are all good remakes because the source material was obscure.

So, if you're going to remake a classic, you should pull out all the stops and swing for the fences. Casting should be focused on finding the funniest comedians in Hollywood: Zach Galifinakas, Charlie Day, Jonah Hill, Aziz Ansari.

Instead, this casting was driven purely by political motivations, so they got Kristen Wiig (who is very funny), Melissa McCarthy (who can be funny but has a tendency to resort to cheap fat jokes) and then a bunch of scrubs from SNL.

I could be surprised, but I expect this to be very meh.

From the beginning, it appeared that the writers/producers of this film took a very lazy approach of remaking a classic but pretending that it was new/different because it included PC propoganda. Now that my initial suspicions have been born out and the jokes from the trailer are "I'm a black woman!!!", I have zero interest in this film since the writers/producers apparently half assed the entire project.

However, because my interest in this film has become non-existent, I seen meltdowns by the writers a Birth Movies Death and now TCTTS which labels me as a bigot because I think lazily made movie is going to suck (TCTTS may not live in a Hollywood bubble, but he does repeat BMD articles verbatim).

If I don't want to waste my time or money on a Hollywood crapfest, that doesn't make me a bigot (regardless of what BMD says), it just means I don't like boring movies.

The irony here is that I think Bridesmaids, which has many of the similar cast/director and PC perspective, was hilarious. The difference between the two movies isn't sexism. It's creativity. Bridesmaids has it. Ghostbuster remake doesn't.
PatAg
AG
quote:
This is my post from the thread last summer:
quote:
In general if you remake a classic movie, it will never be anywhere as good as the original. Robocop, Total Recall, Just Go with It, King Kong, Arthur, Red Dawn, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Day the Earth Stood Still, & Manchurian Candidate are all examples of subpar remakes of classic movies.

However, if a remake is based on an obscure (or foreign) movie that the audience doesn't know about, the film is usually good. Departed, Ocean's Eleven, & Vanilla Sky are all good remakes because the source material was obscure.

So, if you're going to remake a classic, you should pull out all the stops and swing for the fences. Casting should be focused on finding the funniest comedians in Hollywood: Zach Galifinakas, Charlie Day, Jonah Hill, Aziz Ansari.

Instead, this casting was driven purely by political motivations, so they got Kristen Wiig (who is very funny), Melissa McCarthy (who can be funny but has a tendency to resort to cheap fat jokes) and then a bunch of scrubs from SNL.

I could be surprised, but I expect this to be very meh.

From the beginning, it appeared that the writers/producers of this film took a very lazy approach of remaking a classic but pretending that it was new/different because it included PC propoganda. Now that my initial suspicions have been born out and the jokes from the trailer are "I'm a black woman!!!", I have zero interest in this film since the writers/producers apparently half assed the entire project.

However, because my interest in this film has become non-existent, I seen meltdowns by the writers a Birth Movies Death and now TCTTS which labels me as a bigot because I think lazily made movie is going to suck (TCTTS may not live in a Hollywood bubble, but he does repeat BMD articles verbatim).

If I don't want to waste my time or money on a Hollywood crapfest, that doesn't make me a bigot (regardless of what BMD says), it just means I don't like boring movies.

The irony here is that I think Bridesmaids, which has many of the similar cast/director and PC perspective, was hilarious. The difference between the two movies isn't sexism. It's creativity. Bridesmaids has it. Ghostbuster remake doesn't.

Pretty sure TCTTS isn't referring to you when he was talking about the sexist people. There were most definitely some people in this thread who were acting as he described.
TCTTS
AG
THANK YOU. I swear, the reading comprehension on TexAgs - or lack there of - never ceases to blow my mind. I never said you're a bigot if you think this movie will suck. For the umpteenth time... I think this movie will suck too. I was merely making the observation that A FEW statements in this thread were coming across as extremely sexist and MRA-ish. That's it.

And yes, Bobcat06... you caught me. I happened to read a well-articulated article I agree with on a site I like. Next time I'll try not to be so transparent in my attempt to help inform my own opinion.

Trust me, I will never make the mistake again of trying to call out hateful, barbaric-leaning sexism on an internet message board. And I mean that. There's a time and a place to do so, and this definitely wasn't it. Following up on what I said last night, I'm stepping off my soapbox and taking an ax to it. Back to our regularly scheduled program...
Sex Panther
AG
This movie destroyed the Entertaiment board... Good job Paul Feig.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I want to know how the mods locked the Game of Thrones - Show Only thread, yet this one still stands
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
Post removed:
by user
Professor Frick
AG
quote:

What can I say, the man just can't stay away from freaks and geeks.
CheeseSndwch

AVGN posted a video that encompasses my feelings about Ghostbusters 2016 and he's getting ripped for refusing to watch/review the movie.
Btron
AG
quote:
This movie destroyed the Entertaiment board... Good job Lesile Jones.

FIFY
mazag08
AG
quote:
THANK YOU. I swear, the reading comprehension on TexAgs - or lack there of - never ceases to blow my mind. I never said you're a bigot if you think this movie will suck. For the umpteenth time... I think this movie will suck too. I was merely making the observation that A FEW statements in this thread were coming across as extremely sexist and MRA-ish. That's it.

And yes, Bobcat06... you caught me. I happened to read a well-articulated article I agree with on a site I like. Next time I'll try not to be so transparent in my attempt to help inform my own opinion.

Trust me, I will never make the mistake again of trying to call out hateful, barbaric-leaning sexism on an internet message board.
And I mean that. There's a time and a place to do so, and this definitely wasn't it. Following up on what I said last night, I'm stepping off my soapbox and taking an ax to it. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Once again, this is the **** we're talking about. Nobody has a problem with you, your uprbinging, your job, or anything to do with you as a person. But crap like the bolded above, where you sarcastically backwards apologize while deathly clinging to a political belief based nowhere in fact is absolutely uncalled for. Grow up. Nobody on this thread is sexist, and nobody is falling for your cheap apology.

And remember, you started this with your absolutely ridiculous statement about men's rights activists. You don't get to play the victim after saying something so incredibly stupid.. a statement (no matter where you grew up or how many phone calls you have with conservative parents) that shows you pander to the same cheap, unoriginal line of thinking of all of those you say you are different from.

TV Casualty
AG
quote:

Did you watch James Rolfe's (Angry Video Game Nerd) video that was inspiration for the article?

I watched the video and then read the article and I have to say that the article is a huge over reaction to what James Rolfe said in his youtube video. He's just a huge fan of Ghostbusters who basically wanted to see the band back together for one last time. He was really disappointed that a sequel didn't happen when it was rumored 15 years ago. He saw what most people see as a terrible trailer that is just recycled hollywood garbage and said that's it I'm out.

It's sad that he can't have an honest opinion about this film with out being accused of his thoughts being colored by some underlying sexist attitude that he may not even realize exist with in him. The person who wrote that article seems to believe that he can understand the motivations of people better than themselves.

Really???
I'm confused. Is the consensus that everyone thinks this will suck but we should feel bad about thinking that?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
No. There are literally 2-3 people on this 7 page thread who've said basically "women can't be funny."

EVERYONE else has opinions varying from "this person doesn't make me laugh" to "doesn't matter WHO they cast....no Murray, Akroyd or Hudson = not Ghostbusters"

The OVERWHELMING consensus is that the first trailer was beyond horrible and that this looks like a trainwreck. And there are those who feel that they have to defend themselves from being called sexist because if you don't like this movie you are a misogynistic pig.

A small number of posters (and I won't name names) have turned this into a cesspool of accusations because in the current state of this country you can't give opinions that could possibly offend the delicate sensibilities of SJW's and incur their internet wrath.

Personally, I think this thread is poison and should be locked and another thread for discussion of the actual movie (if people actually spend money on it) should be started.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Perfect gif for this thread.
hunter2012
AG
Post removed:
by user
Bunk Moreland
Just read this thread and saw the trailer for the first time. Don't know what's worse.
TCTTS
AG

Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Pretty sure TCTTS isn't referring to you when he was talking about the sexist people. There were most definitely some people in this thread who were acting as he described.
For the sake of clarification, everyone here agrees that this movie's creators were focused on political correctness rather than quality of the film (either in terms of comedy or honoring the originals). Instead, TCTTS is going off on a post from March that said "women aren't funny"?

If you say so.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't agree that the creators were focused on PC. I have no idea. All I know is that the guy that directed it hired a cast of a bunch of people that he's worked with in the past.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
quote:
For the sake of clarification, everyone here agrees that this movie's creators were focused on political correctness rather than quality of the film (either in terms of comedy or honoring the originals). Instead, TCTTS is going off on a post from March that said "women aren't funny"?

If you say so.

The idea that a movie with this particular writer and actresses involved is focused on political correctness is laughable. I'm pretty sure you don't really understand what political correctness is. It was female casted likely to differentiate nothing more or less.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Watching Civil War for the second time today, they showed a trailer for the ORIGINAL Ghostbusters, saying they were bringing it back to theaters for a multiple-day engagement along with a behind-the-scenes of the new version.

Somehow, I don't think this is a good idea. In fact, I think it's going to make things worse for this new film.
AgMarauder04
AG
What's the point of an all female cast remake? Honestly.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Glad I took that thread off my watch list. We're in the spoiling time! Miss the discussion somewhat though.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Everyone knows it's a cash grab.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
What's the point of an all female cast remake? Honestly.
Our issues aside, in all seriousness, it definitely isn't as agenda-driven as people might think. Sony tried for years to "reboot" the franchise either by doing a third movie with the original cast, a third movie with some of the original cast mentoring a new team, and then tried developing a version with a completely new male cast, both in the existing timeline and in a new one. So many names have been involved, from Seth Rogen to Channing Tatum to dozens of others, and each iteration stalled out for any number of reasons.

Really, I can't emphasize enough how hard it is to get a movie made. Even for the studio paying for it. So many things have to align in just the right way - from the budget to availability of talent to the creative approach - and sometimes making a sh*tty movie is more important than not making a movie at all. It may not be the best-case scenario, but any movie coming together is a minor miracle, and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet in order to meet a certain quota, deliver on a contract, or to simply stop throwing money down the drain (the latter likely being the case with this one). And so Hollywood as a whole frankly can't be as agenda-driven as everyone thinks it is if only because it can't afford to be. Trust me, money and scheduling trump all. Sure, someone like James Cameron can stuff his hippie Avatar agenda down audience's throats with relative ease (all things considered), but that's the exception and definitely not the norm.

With this franchise in particular, again, they tried to get it made every which way, and this happened to be the combination that aligned. Paul Feig was on a hot streak, he'd had success with Wiig and McCarthy previously, and when the time came, this was the version of the movie that could get the greenlight. Sure, Sony probably could have pulled off another all-male version, but for whatever reasons, whoever they could wrangle together for that version, when comparing the numbers, I assure you, this was the lesser of two evils, financially speaking. A multi-billion dollar company isn't in the agenda-making business. It's in the money-making business.

Again, I'm NOT defending it. I'm just making everyone aware of the reality.
Sex Panther
AG
I agree... I don't think this was a P.C. thing at all... although I totally understand why people think that about Hollywood. Just this weekend, I saw a new release that in my opinion had a liberal statement shoe horned into it, which caused me to roll my eyes.

Rather I think this was just a very, very misguided idea, from a director who like TC had said, had been on a hot streak... Somehow the execs bought it and thought it would work, and now they are paying the price for what looks to be like a bad decision come to fruition.

However, I do think the PC outrage has come out from other outlets like the media. Because if people hate something that stars a bunch of women, well then by god, it must be misogyny! ...No, people are just mad that they crapped on one of the most beloved movies ever. And they are really pissed that once again, SJW's are telling them that they should be ashamed about something that isn't actually true.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
However, I do think the PC outrage has come out from other outlets like the media. Because if people hate something that stars a bunch of women, well then by god, it must be misogyny! ...No, people are just mad that they crapped on one of the most beloved movies ever. And they are really pissed that once again, SJW's are telling them that they should be ashamed about something that isn't actually true.

Agreed. And I probably hitched a ride on that train prematurely, without thinking it through all the way, and without giving some here the benefit of the doubt. I saw a couple of sexist posts and then lumped a bunch of other posters in with them, which I shouldn't have done.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with the above conversation. People aren't happy because it sucks. The AVGN dude said it perfectly. They could have done this 10 different ways and had it done better but they did it the worst way possible. However, I'm confident it was not in the veil of "let's be pc."
State of Texas
Just my .02 on the movie.

The original GB is my favorite movie of all time, but since that came out when I was 2, I've only seen it on TV. I saw GB 2 in the theaters, but still that was 1989 and I was 7. IDK...I like most of what I'm seeing in these previews. Paul Feig isn't going to ruin my childhood if he screws this up however for this movie to happen and to have the premise that the events from GB 1 and 2 didn't happen, Feig and Dippold are certainly pulling a lot from them. A few nods I think are OK, but if it gets to the end and the ladies have to decide on crossing the streams, then that looks like lazy writing.

I believe I read somewhere that Rowan...the main ghost villain from the logo is voiced by Aykroyd, which would make sense since he does look a little like him and as someone earlier pointed out, I think Rowan is the result of all those ghosts you see flying around the building and city coming together. Pretty obvious from the trailer...I just hope he isn't made out of marshmallow.

I think by the end of the movie the girls move into the firehouse that the original GB's had. Feig said early on he wants to make a spooky and scarier GB...hope he can accomplish that. I think so far he has shown the girls will be in over their heads by the time the end comes a long, much like the first movie.

I'm going to go in it with an open mind. I made the mistake when MIB came out and I heard it was similar to GB and judged it unfairly when I saw it. Looking back, I see how it had similar elements. I think it will be a fun movie and Ivan Reitman is one of the producers...I think he would speak up if something was really off. I don't mind the female cast...I like them better than Seth Rogen and Adam Sandler. Yes Leslie Jones is mostly annoying, but I believe that goes back to writing. I think this will be better than GB 2 when they had to tame it since so many kids by then were watching the cartoons. I'm going to enjoy watching this GB in the theaters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.