THE WITCH

37,434 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry I haven't been very clear.

TCTTS said The Witch was one of the scariest movies he'd ever seen. After seeing it, I naturally started taking his reviews with a grain of salt (as The Witch wasn't scary in the least).

He had a review/critique of Green Room calling it (I believe) one of the most intense movies he's seen (or seen in a while) and it was very well done. Because of the earlier The Witch review I didn't bother with Green Room when it was released. Caught it the other day on Amazon Prime and thought it was intense and very well done.

So now TCTTS can thank the heavens that I respect his reviews again. I know it was really gnawing at him
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ahhh, ok. I agree, Green Room was surprisingly as good as the hype, and The Witch was a great suspense movie but was definitely not a horror movie. Damn TCTTS, always stirring up E-board controversy!
Redstone
AG
All of this tumult could have been avoided had there been greater clarity and precision of language at the beginning of the thread.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. What an assh*le.
mhayden
And completely off-topic, but did anyone ever watch the old sci-fi/horror TV show 'Monsters' ?

There was an episode called Bed and Boar (with a young Steve Buschemi) where a woman is hiding from her abusive husband in a motel room and he keeps telling Buscheme that she's a "vitch" and he assumes he is saying ***** but it turns out he is saying witch.

The "double V" looking title of The VVitch always makes me think of that.
dreyOO
Based on the descriptions given, this movie sounds intriguing. I'll check it out.

Just wanted to add that the exorcism of Emily Rose was creepy as hell. My body clock even got spooked and woke me up at the witching hour or whatever time she was being haunted. I literally popped up for some reason in the middle of the night, looked over and it was exactly 3:00am. Creeeppy
wesag
AG
The Witch kicked butt. How in the heck can you say that wasn't a horror movie?
91_Aggie
AG
I watched this movie this weekend on Amazon Prime.

It was a strange movie. Not sure I found it enjoyable other than the ambiance of the forest scenes.

A good horror movie should have me thinking about it as I go to sleep and wondering. This was just meh in terms of horror/eerie/scariness. I think there were three places where it the had effect of a horror movie.

Two of the them were essentially jump scenes (one was when the arm appeared behind the boy when the "young" witch was kissing him)

The other scene was at the end when the goat responded back

cr0wbar
AG
Wow, just finished.

Quite possibly the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Need to digest this
Aggies76
AG
I agree. I felt like I was watching something I shouldn't.
Ag 11
AG
So good. I haven't seen it since it came out. I need to go watch it again.
NukeAg10
AG
Just watched it....

Good movie. Meh on the scary. Reminds me a lot of the midsommar. Good movie, not super scary. 8/10
abram97
AG
NukeAg10 said:

Just watched it....

Good movie. Meh on the scary. Reminds me a lot of the midsommar. Good movie, not super scary. 8/10
What do you think of Hereditary?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TresPuertas
AG
you guys ready for the call back on this thread? It's halloween and i figured I'd try to watch something truly freaky and decided, after 6 years, to finally give this a shot.

and i wasn't freaked out. at all. in fact i went and read this entire thread and then went back and watched the last 10 minutes again to see if there was anything i missed.

Agree that it's a very well shot film with a unique setting. And I have to admit that for some reason I'm really into the gotchic, early American, Salem witch trials aesthetic, but this just didn't really scare me at all. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't disturb me, freak me out, etc.

I flat out think the character imagery could have been better. the Witch, when we saw her, looked like the main character from the ring. the bottom line is some of the satanic/witchcraft imagery from the time is some of the freakiest stuff out there and utilizing a semi-CGI gollum like character was just the wrong move.

here's some images from a group who put on a Salem witchcraft performance that kind of reference the aesthetic. just my .02

a couple of links to the IG pages because the pics are too big to include.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWMmgMLMtdR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj0JDlbjTQH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj1X5Yujk75/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

also, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on similar movies in the time period, i'd love to hear them
Sex Panther
AG
Apostle on Netflix

The Cursed on Hulu
AgNav93
AG
This movie scared the hell out of me.
TCTTS
AG
Prepare to be told how wrong you are for experiencing and then expressing that emotion. And whatever you do, *definitely* don't call it a "horror" movie either. All things I learned from experience.
bluefire579
AG
I'm just here to complain about the title of this thread not being properly stylized
TCTTS
AG
Those were dark days, seeing as thread title protocols were unfortunately not yet in place in 2016. It took years, along with much trial and error, to develop the impeccable standards we have today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.