THE WITCH

37,405 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Years ago, I remember watching The Wire for the first time and quickly realizing that I would never be able to watch a network procedural ever again. Law & Order, CSI, Cold Case, Blue Blood, etc - they all paled in comparison to the "real" thing; a show so well done, explicit, and unrelenting that the fairly inauthentic, milquetoast world of network cop shows would never suffice again (not that I ever really watched any of those shows in the first place, but still).

Well, tonight, after watching The Witch, I just experienced that same realization again.

Except this time, in regards to the horror genre.

The Witch is so enthralling, unique, and brilliantly executed that I don't know if I'll be able to take another run-of-the-mill horror movie seriously ever again. Granted, I've never been a huge horror fan to begin with, and I can't remember the last horror movie that didn't make me roll my eyes - so take this with a grain of salt - but The Witch may very well be the best horror movie I've ever seen. It's that good. And that haunting. There is some seriously freaky sh*t in this movie that I will never be able to forget. And because it's all so insanely well done and well acted, I don't know that I necessarily want to. I was constantly as marveled as I was terrified.

That said, just like The Wire, The Witch definitely isn't for everyone. It moves at a very deliberate pace, is ripe with 17th century dialect, and doesn't go for cheap jump-scares. But what it does do frighteningly well is continually build a sense of dread - by subtle yet unrelenting means - until everything comes bubbling to the surface in one hell of a creepy and effective ending. Really, it's February, and this may very well be in my top ten at the end of the year. Considering the subject matter, along with the "controversy" surrounding the film, I'm about the furthest thing you'll find from a Satanist - but no matter your faith/religion/beliefs, there's no denying how phenomenally well done this movie is.

This is also A24's first-ever wide release, so it's debuting everywhere this weekend. For the sake of conversation, I hope many of you give it a shot soon, because I can't wait to hear thoughts from non-critics. I'm sure I've raised expectations impossibly high now, but this is exactly how I feel in the afterglow of this film. Hopefully at least a few of you end up sharing the sentiment.

SeattleAgJr
Good news. I really liked the trailer for this one and was interested in seeing it.

Also the SeattleTimes gave it a 3.5/4.0,
SapperAg
AG
I'll put in my $0.02 cents from looking at the trailers and reading a few reviews, so I could be wrong overall. I study 17th Century New England for a living and I've never seen a film appear to put as much into authentically recreating the beliefs and look of the Puritans of New England. I was blown away by how right the tone and look of this film is. That fear of the wilderness, the fear of the witch's "familiar," the structure of the family, and the all-encompassing importance of religion; it's all reflected in what I've seen and the reviews I've read. Someone did their homework.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
That's good to hear. I'm excited about this movie. I've only been to the theater 3 times in the last year but this will likely be number 4
Thunder18
AG
I'm not a big horror movie person, but this one is definitely intriguing
Max Power
AG
That trailer is the most intense movie I've seen so far this year, wow.
AliasMan02
AG
Nope nope nope.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Same. I'm sure it's great but I'd be sleeping with a light on for weeks.
jbanda
AG
The film's distributors partnered with the Satanic temple to organize screenings?!?!

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/the-witch-demonization-women/
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I'm not a big horror movie person, but this one is definitely intriguing

Yeah I am not a big horror fan but damn this look good.
Saxsoon
AG
Just a heads up but not only are the accents thick, but the wording is as well so I probably missed about on a fair amount of dialogue.

The music scorer for this must have sold his soul because this has to be the most haunting music I have ever heard. The director would start a static shot and hold it longer than comfortable as the music slowly becomes more discordant.

I love all horror movies, even the supernatural demon type ones. This is the first time I finished a movie feeling unclean. I will admit as a Christian, I said a prayer at the end because I felt so uncomfortable at the end.
Tanya 93
I haven't been to a non kid movie in a theatre since "The HUnger Games"

But this looks terrifying in an awesome way.
InternetFan02
AG
"It feels like we're watching something we should not be seeing" - Hitfix
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, that's a pretty good endorsement.

I'm a big fan of horror, and was just saying recently that nothing truly scary has come out in the last few years. May check this out.
chipotle
nope
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Nope nope nope.
Same here.

SapperAg
AG
For those of you who do want to see it, if you have any interest afterwards, check out "Devil in the Shape of a Woman," and "In the Devil's Snare," about witchcraft and folklore in Puritan New England.

Also, as you watch it, it's important to realize that the wilderness in the Puritan mind was not the "woods" of our world. The wilderness was Satan's domain because it was disordered. It had no controls, no civilization. Religion for them was more than just theology, it was culture and practice. While Jesuit priests in Canada could convert Indiams and live with them, allowing them to retain their culture, Puritans demanded that Indians become English. To live in the wilderness was to court Satan. To not order the wilderness was to allow Satan to win. A fear of the Puritans in the decades after the initial settlement was that the wilderness had changed them. That they had fallen from their parents' piety because they went to a land that many felt was literally God-forsaken.
OldArmy71
AG
I have no interest in horror movies and thus I will not go to a theater to see this (maybe later), but I taught 17th century American lit for many years. I agree with Sapper that The Devil in the Shape of a Woman is an excellent book.
Mr. White
quote:
For those of you who do want to see it, if you have any interest afterwards, check out "Devil in the Shape of a Woman," and "In the Devil's Snare," about witchcraft and folklore in Puritan New England.

Also, as you watch it, it's important to realize that the wilderness in the Puritan mind was not the "woods" of our world. The wilderness was Satan's domain because it was disordered. It had no controls, no civilization. Religion for them was more than just theology, it was culture and practice. While Jesuit priests in Canada could convert Indiams and live with them, allowing them to retain their culture, Puritans demanded that Indians become English. To live in the wilderness was to court Satan. To not order the wilderness was to allow Satan to win. A fear of the Puritans in the decades after the initial settlement was that the wilderness had changed them. That they had fallen from their parents' piety because they went to a land that many felt was literally God-forsaken.
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
Just a heads up but not only are the accents thick, but the wording is as well so I probably missed about on a fair amount of dialogue.

The music scorer for this must have sold his soul because this has to be the most haunting music I have ever heard. The director would start a static shock and hold it longer than comfortable as the music slowly becomes more discordant.

I love all horror movies, even the supernatural demon type ones. This is the first time I finished a movie feeling unclean. I will admit as a Christian, I said a prayer at the end because I felt so uncomfortable at the end.
wow. I am so intrigued by this movie after reading this thread.
Ag13
AG
I am so excited to see this. Love a good horror movie.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
love a good horror movie as well. problem is 95% of the genre is garbage.

a trailer like this and a review from someone i trust like the op gives me hope. nothing more fun than a really well done horror film.
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
love a good horror movie as well. problem is 95% of the genre is garbage.

a trailer like this and a review from someone i trust like the op gives me hope. nothing more fun than a really well done horror film.
my thoughts exactly
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
quote:
Nope nope nope.
Same here.

Yeah, not sure I can watch that now that I have a kid. Parenthood does some crazy stuff to your head that makes certain subject matter difficult to subject yourself to. Looks great though!
The Debt
When I saw the goat dancing, I knew it would be wild.

I remember the quantum leap episode with the occult and that shtt freaked me out.
rosshoss00
AG
First time I've really ever disagreed with tctts. I almost walked out of this movie, it was so bad and not scary. Maybe I need a clear villain or crazy slasher movie, but this movie was horrible. I'm sure the next movie you endorse I'll be in the same boat, not this time.
Mr. White
What did you not like about it?
Mr. White
I'm not a fan of getting kids to act like they're possessed so I'm on the fence about seeing it.

It DOES look good though.
TCTTS
AG
The child actors in this movie are AMAZING. Not a false beat from a single one of them. I legit think the main boy should be nominated for a Supporting Actor Oscar. And the main girl - Anya Taylor-Joy - is going to be a star. She's so, so good.

rosshoss - like I said, this movie definitely isn't for everyone. Though, the last thing I would call it is "bad." It may not be your taste, but it's an objectively, incredibly well-made movie. Directing, writing, acting are all, across the board, top notch. But again, I totally get it. It occupies a very narrow path, one a lot people aren't going to prefer to walk down.
Sex Panther
AG
I saw it last night. I was a little disappointed but probably because I built it up in my head so much from everything I'd seen and heard.

I will say this. This movie is one of the most authentic things I've ever seen. Other than some of the kids not being great actors (which isn't that big an issue because they remind you of real kids), it truly feels like you are watching a live feed of some scared ****less Puritans in the woods in the 1600's. The music is absolutely haunting, and there is indeed some very, very freaky stuff going on.

But I've mentioned multiple times how much I struggle with accents, and dammit... I could hardly understand a single word these people were saying. I watched every episode of The Wire with subtitles. I sure as hell couldn't understand these pilgrims.

Also, Black Phillip is my favorite movie character and name of the year so far.

TC, what is the controversy? Is it because of some of the "nudity" ? Or just the satanic themes?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The child actors in this movie are AMAZING. Not a false beat from a single one of them. I legit think the main boy should be nominated for a Supporting Actor Oscar. And the main girl - Anya Taylor-Joy - is going to be a star. She's so, so good.

rosshoss - like I said, this movie definitely isn't for everyone. Though, the last thing I would call it is "bad." It may not be your taste, but it's an objectively, incredibly well-made movie. Directing, writing, acting are all, across the board, top notch. But again, I totally get it. It occupies a very narrow path, one a lot people aren't going to prefer to walk down.

Ha, I guess we disagree on the kids... But yes, the main girl was amazing. The twins were creepy as hell though.

And yeah, from a technical and film making standpoint, it's a masterful film.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
TC, what is the controversy? Is it because of some of the "nudity" ? Or just the satanic themes?
Yeah, the satanic themes. I've seen a few articles discussing whether it's pro-Satan or whatever, which is ruffling some feathers.

Ha, and I guess we don't see eye to eye when it comes to the child actors. I can definitely see them being hard to understand, though. Fortunately, the theater I saw it in had the sound jacked way up, and it was clear as day on my end.
Sex Panther
AG
Maybe I'm being too critical... you're right about the boy. His posession scene was phenomenal.

And Jesus, that may have been the loudest theater I've ever been in. They used the music to build suspense, but there were a few times I thought my ear drum was going to blow.
TCTTS
AG
Damn. Yeah, I remember a few times where the sound effects were almost piercing. And echoing someone else above, that was maybe the creepiest score I've ever heard. So effective.
TCTTS
AG
There's one scene in particular I REALLY want to discuss. But I'll wait til more people have seen it to dive into spoilers. I'll just say that it was the first time I've literally held my breath in a movie theater. And that it had to do with SP's favorite character, Black Phillip.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.