THE WITCH

37,458 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know what you're talking about... that was intense
TCTTS
AG
There was a good 15 seconds where I was clinging to my seat, wondering if the filmmakers were actually going to go through with what she was requesting. And when they did, it was absolutely perfect/chilling/creepy/amazing.
Sex Panther
AG
Ok now I really want to talk about it...

********** WARNING SPOILER DISCUSSION BELOW **********

So, did the two twins actually have some covenant with BP like Thomasina suggested when everyone was freaking out after Caleb died? I was confused by that... They were blaming her, and she was blaming them. But they were also possessed when Caleb was as well... And I guess the next morning, it's up to your interpretation on what happened to them since it seems they disappeared when the witch showed up in the animal pen with them?

And I thought the way they handled BP talking to Thomasina was incredible.

************* END SPOILERS ***************
rosshoss00
AG
I can agree that the acting was really good, I just felt the story was questionable. The scene you're talking about tctts is just for shock. I can get on board with it being really well acted, but the whole "story" did nothing for me.
TCTTS
AG

I interpreted it as Thomasina simply blaming the twins because they were blaming her. I got the impression that she never really liked them, and after Caleb died, she was basically just like "*****it" and was trying to save her own ass at that point. Then again, she genuinely did NOT want to be put in the animal pen with them, so it's hard to tell. But they all talked pretty casual with each other after that, just before the witch showed up, which is why I really do think Thomasina was just trying to convince her parents to save her own ass more than anything. And yeah, I figured the witch took them and killed them just like she killed the baby (I read in one review that the witch was using the baby fat to oil up her broom for flight - which is one of the most disturbing things I can imagine).

Finally - BP's voice will haunt me forever. Not showing him during that sequence was genius. That said, I couldn't quite tell what, exactly, put its arm around her when he kind of circled her in that scene. It sounded like leather when he moved, and I couldn't tell if he was still a goat in that moment or took on more demonic/Satan-type form.

Saxsoon
AG
tc, sex Panther,

That very scene was so intense and was what made me say a prayer at the end.

Spoiler

It was like watching someone taking something demonic into them which I have never felt in a horror film before
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely. I can't remember ever having that feeling in a movie theater before.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Finally - BP's voice will haunt me forever. Not showing him during that sequence was genius. That said, I couldn't quite tell what, exactly, put its arm around her when he kind of circled her in that scene. It sounded like leather when he moved, and I couldn't tell if he was still a goat in that moment or took on more demonic/Satan-type form.

***************** MORE SPOILERS ****************

Exactly... any way they showed him, would've been cheesy... the way they did it was brilliant and terrifying. So many filmmakers don't understand that sometimes less is more.

************** END SPOILERS *********************
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i saw an interview with the director where he said he was a year into his next project. any ideas what the subject matter will be?

to the poster with the issue of child actors being "possessed" the kids actually don't fully grasp what they are acting for. "disney-ized" version is how the director put it.

and now that we're getting into spoiler areas and not everyone is always diligent with their warnings i'm going to check out of this thread until i see the film.
Waltonloads08
AG
This film is my kind of horror movie, really want to see it in the theater.

I have to ask one question to determine if i can take my wife with me-

are there any very young 0 - 3 year old children that are harmed or killed during the course of the movie? If so, please let me know. that will be a no-go for her.

SapperAg
AG
Yes.
Waltonloads08
AG
Dangit!............ killed?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

SapperAg
AG
quote:

Sort of Spoilers (it's in most reviews)

Yeah.

You can't have a witch story in the 17th century without infanticide.
Old Main
AG
I had nightmares for a week after seeing the Exorcism of Emily Rose. I have a feeling that this movie is going to have the same effect on me. For those that have seen both... Which one was more terrifying?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
Redstone
AG
Amusing to see people jumping on the bandwagon now...lots of us horror fans have been aware for some time.
Professor Frick
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Amusing to see people jumping on the bandwagon now...lots of us horror fans have been aware for some time.

Want a PBR to go with your hipster ways?
Professor Frick
AG
Watch out, he's bound to tell you he was the judge that handed Pabst that ribbon.
Redstone
AG
TCCNS is plugged into the Holywood scene. It makes sense for he and I and others to be aware of cinematic scheduling and development. Other posters here are an amusing distraction, which is fine. It's just texags.
But let's not pretend to be all plugged in, and leave the bandwagons to sporting contests.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
TCCNS is plugged into the Holywood scene. It makes sense for he and I and others to be aware of cinematic scheduling and development. Other posters here are an amusing distraction, which is fine. It's just texags.
But let's not pretend to be all plugged in, and leave the bandwagons to sporting contests.

Is it cold up there on your high horse?
TCTTS
AG
Being aware that Redstone is doing Redstone seems to be the new Redstone.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
Being aware that Redstone is doing Redstone seems to be the new Redstone.

I knew Redstone was Redstoning BEFORE Pabst won that blue ribbon.
AGinHI
AG
quote:

Those "distractions" provided a lot more informative discussion about the movie (which I have no intent of seeing--thanks y'all) than your narcissistic, condescending statements.

Thunder18
AG
Redstone is legitimately one of my favorite trolls of all time
nashvilleaggie11
Just saw it. Eh. I enjoyed the cinematography and acting. Otherwise it wasn't that memorable.
BassCowboy33
Underwhelming. Maybe it was the great reviews, but it wasn't scary...at all. The "slow burn" of terror that I read about wasn't slow or a burn. Le sigh.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

***************** MORE SPOILERS ****************

Exactly... any way they showed him, would've been cheesy... the way they did it was brilliant and terrifying. So many filmmakers don't understand that sometimes less is more.

************** END SPOILERS *********************
SPOILER

Black Phillip was really really well done. That scene was masterful
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Redstone is legitimately one of my favorite trolls of all time

Well, in my defense, in all my years on TA's, and this is my second account, I've seen Redstone post twice.

Anyway, I checked this thread out because the trailer intrigued me and I used to really enjoy horror movies. I would watch all sorts of crap before I turned 10 and would even check out Fangoria magazine at the local store.

I just can't watch them anymore. And if there's a grown man talking about how he had to say a prayer during the movie...yeah, nope.nope.nope

Good discussion though.

FilmGuy
This film is bizzare to me in that I absolutely loved it but have almost no desire to ever watch it again. Disturbing, brilliant, and visceral are the words I'd use to describe it.

Definitely not a film for everyone, but I loved it. #LiveDeliciously

Full review if you care: http://openbarcinema.com/2016/02/19/the-witch-review/
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear.
FilmGuy
***************************Spoilers********************************************

The kids are shown to be faking the whole possession thing, but whether they actually spoke with Black Phillip are left to the imagination. Maybe Black Phillip told them to act like that? Who knows, doubtful though. Thomasin accusing them was just her trying to shift the blame from herself, like that other poster said.

*******************************************************************************************
Bruce Almighty
AG
I saw it last night and thought it was very good. I'm not sure I would rank it an all time classic horror movie, but I don't think the horror genre has had an all time classic in years. I do think its top 3 of the last 10 years with Cabin in the Woods and The Conjuring. This was one of the most authentic period movies I've ever seen and maybe more impressive than the actual horror part of the film. I did have trouble with the accents at times which may have contributed to why I think it wasn't an all time classic and while I do enjoy movies that employ a slow burn, this was almost too much. The movie felt longer than its running time.
BassCowboy33
Maybe because I grew up with The Exorcist and TEOER in my mind, but I didn't find this disturbing at all. There was a lot of, "ok...now what" in this film for me. It was better than a large portion of the horror schtick we see these days, but I didn't find anything special about it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.