Texas Rising

16,989 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Agnzona
McGregor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ray Liotta plays a fictional character. I have no idea why they feel they need that. The story stands on its own.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Well the storm stopped my DVR.
probably for the best.
kag00
AG
What a great historical show. I compare it favorably to that Abraham Lincoln movie a few years back. You know, the one with the vampires.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
So whose this guy who "escaped" the Alamo supposed to be???

There's always been some story about a survivor who snuck away.

I'm only seeing about 2/3 of this show thanks to EAS alerts.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Im apalled at the scenery in the show. There are now mountains or cliffs between San Antonio and Houston. Very inaccurate. It's like they shot the film at the Gaudalupe mountain range.
zoneag
Nacogdoches is in the desert too
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Nacogdoches is in the desert too

It's a cultural metaphor.
McGregor
AG
So now we have an 1880's Dodge City gun fight in a the Great Plains of Nacogdoches. This is unwatchable. But I'll watch it anyway. I always do...
Bruce Almighty
AG
How the f does the same channel that makes Vikings produce this garbage????? Did the same people that makes Ancient Alien Artifacts in my Local Pawn Shop next to the Swamp decide to make a parody about the history of Texas?
JD Shellnut
AG
The vikings is great, but this is garbage. I turned it off after 15 minutes.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Does History make Vikings? I thought they just carried it, or were partners or something.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
San Antonio is in the llano estacado. Gonzales is on the Palo Duro. And Nacogdoches is on the great plains.

I must have dozed off in Texas Geography 101.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Does History make Vikings? I thought they just carried it, or were partners or something.

To be honest, I have no idea.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
I'll continue to watch it as it was slightly entertaining but these "liberties" they are taking are just downright dumb. How the hell does Gonzales look like it's some arid, desert terrain? And Ray Liotta's character while cool that he survived and is on some revenge quest, is obviously not historical. Also, I don't recall that Houston had some long festering wound. Oh, and the Karankawa raiding as far in as SA? Not that I remember. Lot's of liberties taken and just seems like lazy writing to me. Oh well, i'll still watch it but man sometimes it's painful to watch if you have even a basic understanding of Texas History.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
How the f does the same channel that makes Vikings produce this garbage????? Did the same people that makes Ancient Alien Artifacts in my Local Pawn Shop next to the Swamp decide to make a parody about the history of Texas?

It's actually the same folks who made Hatfields and McCoys which adds to my disappointment because H&M was great.
Geriatric Punk
Mr. Nobody
The geography of Texas looks so different than I had pictured...
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
The geography of Texas looks so different than I had pictured...

Looks a little like Tombstone.
AliasMan02
AG
Seeing the latest trailer in the movie theater this weekend, any hopes I had were dashed, as they were obviously going to AT LEAST hang heavy on fictional myths and then run wild from there (trailer had a heavy dose of Yellow Rose, but painted to be a Turn-like conspiracy). Reading your responses makes it seem even worse than I would have thought.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Im apalled at the scenery in the show. There are now mountains or cliffs between San Antonio and Houston. Very inaccurate. It's like they shot the film at the Gaudalupe mountain range.
Probably consulted with Michael Bay on the geography he used from Transformers 4. Anybody spot any big, solitary trees strung with lights?

Ginormus Ag
AG
I saw "A Million Ways to die in the West" a couple of weeks ago.

It was better than this. The only thing that I can think of that is worse than this is Part 3 of Atlas Shrugged.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I had set this to record. Appreciate the responses to let me know to delete and forget about this series.
Stormchaser
AG
I'll never get that 35 minutes back. I couldn't get past the desert of Gonzalez.
Ambres
AG
My 8 year old liked it.. .. i wonder if Danes complain about Vikings as much as we complain about Texas Rising
LostAg
GonzaleS is only a ten minute horse ride to Goliad... Takes me a little over an hour in my car going 70mph
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just looked it up. The guy that directed this is French.
Texaggie7nine
Texas water level rising.

AMIRITE?
7nine
No Longer Subsribed
AG
I don't really have a problem with historical inaccuracies, or outright alternate fiction as long as the story is good. (Like Inglourious Basterds - completely fictional but set in a historical setting). But Texas Rising is both inaccurate and boring.
Goose83
AG
quote:
I'll continue to watch it as it was slightly entertaining but these "liberties" they are taking are just downright dumb. How the hell does Gonzales look like it's some arid, desert terrain? And Ray Liotta's character while cool that he survived and is on some revenge quest, is obviously not historical. Also, I don't recall that Houston had some long festering wound. Oh, and the Karankawa raiding as far in as SA? Not that I remember. Lot's of liberties taken and just seems like lazy writing to me. Oh well, i'll still watch it but man sometimes it's painful to watch if you have even a basic understanding of Texas History.
Actually the bit about Houston was one thing that they actually did get right, as he did suffer from a long-festering, unhealed wound in the groin which he received while fighting against the Creek Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. There has been some speculation that it was a major cause of the breakup of his first marriage, as supposedly his wife was so physically repulsed by what she later called his "dreadful injury" of emasculation that she left him, but as with so many things in Houston's life, that is still a matter of ongoing debate.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Just looked it up. The guy that directed this is French.

That explains it.
Mose Schrute
AG
Over all it's pretty laughable, especially the karankawas. Hate to say it, but I figured this series would be rough to watch. Frustrating because like some other posters said, it's like they're not even trying. And there's no need to make the story fictional, it should be entertaining enough.

The history channel of ten years ago would never out something out like this :/
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
quote:
Actually the bit about Houston was one thing that they actually did get right, as he did suffer from a long-festering, unhealed wound in the groin which he received while fighting against the Creek Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. There has been some speculation that it was a major cause of the breakup of his first marriage, as supposedly his wife was so physically repulsed by what she later called his "dreadful injury" of emasculation that she left him, but as with so many things in Houston's life, that is still a matter of ongoing debate.
Thanks for the insight. Didn't realize that was accurate.
Sea Gull
AG
IMDB gave it 8.9/10...lol
jeffk
AG
By the end I was expecting aliens to show up and aid the Texans.

Terrible.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Anyone going to keep watching? I think I'm done.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.