Texas Rising

16,969 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Agnzona
No Bat Soup For You
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
By the end I was expecting aliens to show up and aid the Texans.

The series ain't over yet. Stay tuned.
Aggies76
AG
May or may not keep watching. As I fan of all things Texan, I was looking forward to watching every night this week. Now I'm thinking of rewatching Lonesome Dove instead.

PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:

Terrible.
funny you say that...I commented to my wife the very same thing towards the end of the show. That I wouldn't be surprised if aliens show up and start blasting the Mexicans. LOL.

After thinking on it more, I'm starting to wonder if i'll even finish watching it. These aren't just some little "liberties" they've taken.....to anyone who loves & knows Texas history, they're downright laughable the more I think about it.
Aggies76
AG
The sad thing is, this part of the Texas Revolution could be great, entertaining viewing if the history is taken seriously. These are not boring characters. Maybe having it spread out over 10 hours is thinning out the subject matter too much. Condense it, and maybe even give it a documentary style feel, much like the History Channel did with the World Wars series.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in:

Mexicans vs. Aliens: Texas Rising
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in:

Mexicans vs. Aliens: Texas Rising

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
Anyone going to keep watching? I think I'm done.

I might check in for a few minutes here and there tonite just to see other laughable stuff but not until I get the yard mowed. Although you wouldn't think that would take too long considering I live in San Antonio in the middle of the high desert.

I'm hoping we see Doc and Marty swoop in and help save the Texans at San Jacinto just when the battle looks bleakest. Or at least a cameo by Biff.
The Collective
AG
I was going to knock out the opener and the second episode tonight. Looks like I will now be watching the Bachelorette with my wife.
et98
AG
I'll keep watching, but I'll have to approach it like an historical fiction tale...similar to Inglorius Basterds. Now that I know this is a silly western loosely based on the Texas Revolution, it probably won't be that bad.
aggie93
AG
Why no one seems to be able to make a good show about the Texas Revolution is astounding. It's filled with 3 highly memorable battles (Gonzales, Alamo, San Jacinto) and great characters galore. These guys decide to start after a lot of the coolest stuff is over and some great characters are dead and stretch it in to 6 hours of TV by making up new stories and not even remotely getting the scenery right. It seemed like Deaf Smith was going home about every 10 minutes so we could hear about how his wife didn't want him to go and that was actually far more entertaining than most of this show.. You would think that the show writers would figure that a lot of their potential audience is either from Texas or at least knows enough about Texas that the entire State isn't some desert.

I will probably finish watching it out of morbid curiosity and lack of other programming but I am incredibly disappointed.
OregonAggie
AG
I'll just wait until the San Jacinto episode. I know what happens but they'll probably change it to Mexico winning just for entertainment.
spanky
AG
Historical comedy
VanZandt92
quote:
I was going to knock out the opener and the second episode tonight. Looks like I will now be watching the Bachelorette with my wife.

Peaky Blinders and Turn are on Netflix. Either one will satisfy.
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:
Being a native of the Trans-Pecos I assumed they'd use a stereotypical landscape. Nothing against Gonzalez but it looks more like Mississippi than what people expect in Texas.
Interesting perception.

Of course, I'm a graduate of Ole Miss (a.k.a. Gonzales High School), so my perception is a bit different. Maybe telling a historical tale on the "history" channel would require you to depict the terrain and participants correctly. The war wasn't fought over rocks big enough for a Comanche to take a dump behind in West Texas, it was fought over arable farmland in the riverbottoms of Austin's and DeWitt's colonies suitable for organized agriculture.

Texas was the frontier south... and at the time of the revolution, Gonzales was about the edge of Anglo civilization along the frontier. The "Southwest" literally began west of the Guadalupe past Seguin, where Indians, rancheros and Mexican influence predominated versus a southern agrarian culture to the East.
AliasMan02
AG
Mountains and sandy desert and stuff are ridiculous, but remember that Texas looked much different then than now. There were basically no trees throughout most of Texas, for example. Ever see old pics of campus?

The presence of people really changes the environment.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Houston was a desert in 1835?
Mose Schrute
AG
Yeah the Texans planted grass there after the war so the mexicans would have something to do.

Was part of the treaty.
The D
AG
I loved when they showed nacogdoches and it looked like Arizona
FTACO97
AG
Ok, first I'll admit I moved to Texas my freshman year of high school so I missed Texas history. But it seemed very odd to me that Sam Houston and his soldiers start out in Gonzales, which is due east of San Antonio, and then they decide they should go to Victoria which is further south because "San Antonio is too close to Mexico and easier for Santa Anna to get more troops and resources" according to Deaf.

Then it feels like they have no urgency in getting somewhere. Scene A - Sam Houston will decide they need to move on from Victoria, Scene B - looks like they're still at the same camp the next day just sitting around. Same goes for him ordering the 2 Rangers to go to Gilead to get Fannin to leave, next day they're still sitting around at camp and now Deaf is going to go back to his ranch again and see his wife and drop off this girl and dog along the way.

Then, toward the end of part 2, Sam Houston and his group have been screwing around somewhere between Gilead and Victoria, and the Mexican army is supposed to be somewhere behind them near San Antonio. But suddenly, Santa Anna is now in Harrisburg (which is east Houston) with his troops and finding out the president has skedaddled off to New Orleans. How did they get past Sam Houston and his troops? Also loved when Santa Anna asks one of his captains where Sam Houston is and he reports that he's somewhere west of the Sabine River.....oh, so he's somewhere in Texas then?

I can't believe how poorly they chose locations to film this either as has been pointed out by most of you here. Did they even bother to visit these areas in Texas before filming them in areas that look like New Mexico?
FTACO97
AG
And since when is Santa Anna pronounced Santana?
jeffk
AG
quote:

You didn't hear? In this retelling of Texan independence, the Mexican army is led by this guy:

AliasMan02
AG
This thing rivals the Super Bowl in number and length of commercial breaks. They average over 4.5 minutes per break.

They are also thin on material, obviously. Really trying to stretch the narrative before San Jacinto.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

In most of the movies, there is at least one person that says it like that.
Bregxit
AG
Ironically it was filmed in Durango, Mexico.
Ulrich
Someone should let them know that if they have any questions about Texas geography... it's still here! You can come check. It's right by Mexico, just drive on up and have a look around.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

In most of the movies, there is at least one person that says it like that.

Santee Annie

iceman08
AG
I wish I wasn't so disappointed with this show
Ginormus Ag
AG
quote:
I wish I wasn't so disappointed with this show

I am only watching it to see how bad it gets.
Agnzona
What is Texas Rising the lost solider? Is it the same show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.