FOX New Series: Wayward Pines

10,562 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TexasAggies06
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Throat-slashing reckonings in town square = "people are ok with it" vs. learning the truth about the outside world = "too much, I need to commit suicide" is one of those eye-roll aspects for me.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
Throat-slashing reckonings in town square = "people are ok with it" vs. learning the truth about the outside world = "too much, I need to commit suicide" is one of those eye-roll aspects for me.
I wouldn't say that people are okay with it. I think all the people are terrified, but they work with the demanded social construct and go on with their lives. And yet, we know that entire groups aren't okay with even that since there was a group of about 10 ppl who were working on an escape.
thaed137
AG
I would view that previously they guy was like hey, leave the town and you die. So people lost hope of life and ended it/caused chaos. In this case, people are scared of the organization and still have hope that they could escape or live it out or something, so all is not hopeless. I don't buy it really, but what i think they might be going for on that side. To me, if I found that out, I would be creating traps, building more walls, expanding the city every day to slowly take back everything from them. I would be looking at creating a disease to kill them off, trying to domesticate them, something to give that hope back.
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm really enjoying this, surprisingly. But one question and plot hole I have.

Spoilers

I'm not familiar with the names. But in the first episode didn't we see short doctor talking with secret service buddy? In present time? Wtf?
Also how did they get to the cryogenic freezing camps? Everyone crashes in a car in their present time then they get saved to be frozen, for what reason and why?
And didn't the sheriff stop the wife and son in present day and then bring them to town? So are we dealing with time travel too?? Yeah I'm not buying the whole year 4000 BS. Something else has to be going on.

I don't get that either. It shows Pilcher in present day going back to get more people. Something doesn't add up.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spoilers

I'm not familiar with the names. But in the first episode didn't we see short doctor talking with secret service buddy? In present time? Wtf?
Also how did they get to the cryogenic freezing camps? Everyone crashes in a car in their present time then they get saved to be frozen, for what reason and why?
And didn't the sheriff stop the wife and son in present day and then bring them to town? So are we dealing with time travel too?? Yeah I'm not buying the whole year 4000 BS. Something else has to be going on.

I don't get that either. It shows Pilcher in present day going back to get more people. Something doesn't add up.

Doesn't mean it wasn't in the past and just edited to look like it was always present day. That's one of the reasons nobody saw the twist.

He started planning this and abducting people in our present time
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right, it has the appearance of time travel, but IMO he simply participated in the abductions and then eventually went into cold storage himself.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

This. So much so that I can't stand watching the show. The rib seems to like it though. Personally, I think he needs to shoot anyone and everyone who shows up to those reckonings...starting with the doctor,nurse, and teacher.
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spoilers

Doesn't mean it wasn't in the past and just edited to look like it was always present day. That's one of the reasons nobody saw the twist.

He started planning this and abducting people in our present time

I agree, I wrote that question before we saw the sheriff's back story.
thaed137
AG
So appears the doctor doesn't like to lose control of his town and little experiment......be interesting how much they let it devolve into just like a zombie action show for a while or will they turn it all back on in time!!! dun dun dun
Squirrel Master
AG
Well, we've only got one episode left I believe. I don't know if its been successful enough for Fox to roll another 10 episodes out next summer, so be interesting to see what state we're left in at the end of this week.
Dobre casy
AG
Thanks for the responses...that makes sense. I was confused because they made it look like they went to get the wife and kid to make Ethan want to stay. But I guess they were just frozen.

So do we think he has another large group still frozen once Batch 2 is wiped out?
Dro07
AG
quote:
Thanks for the responses...that makes sense. I was confused because they made it look like they went to get the wife and kid to make Ethan want to stay. But I guess they were just frozen.

So do we think he has another large group still frozen once Batch 2 is wiped out?
ya the short guy walked Ethan around and showed him a huge warehouse full of people
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
Well, we've only got one episode left I believe. I don't know if its been successful enough for Fox to roll another 10 episodes out next summer, so be interesting to see what state we're left in at the end of this week.
The previews at the end of last week said that this week is the "Series Finale". To me, that says it's not coming back. But I guess until they give the official word, anything is possible.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
quote:
The previews at the end of last week said that this week is the "Series Finale". To me, that says it's not coming back. But I guess until they give the official word, anything is possible.
Good to know, didn't see that. But given that how it was advertised - 'a 10 episode television event', I'm not surprised. It was planned this way from the get go

By the way, I'm cool with that. Short run tv shows is something we should see more of. Likely why they were able to get the talent that they did for the show.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I still can't believe they're in the future. I thought for sure it would be some different kind of twist.
thaed137
AG
^Agreed.

Now if it turns out to be some sort of, hey we all wake up back in the present, no longer are mind controlled, or some other it was just an experiment by the gov't lame cop out then I'll be pretty pissed.
ABKitch
AG
For those wondering about the "Series Finale" it is set up to end just like the three books end. (more or less)

So unless they write some more stories, it's not coming back.

I read all three books around the time this show started, and while entertaining, they did drag on at times and I thought some things could have been better written, but the books, like the show are fun and something different.

They have taken some liberty with the stories but more or less it's all coming out about the same here at the end.

One part that they changed for the show, that I found interesting (this is a book spoiler only, FYI) is the way that Sherriff Pope died. It was much better in the books, IMO... and he wasn't killed by Ethan.
Saxsoon
AG
I figured at the end of the last episode that we were accelerating to book three. Book 1 was the first few episodes and got combined with the second book in the last few episodes.
Morpholino
AG
As a spoiler alert post, could you post how Pope dies in the book? I don't think I'll ever get around to reading the books.
chipotle
quote:
As a spoiler alert post, could you post how Pope dies in the book? I don't think I'll ever get around to reading the books.

***book spoiler***

Pilcher takes Ethan to Boise or some ruined city. As they are leaving/being chased out via helicopter pilcher shuts the door on pope and leaves him to a horde of wayward pines zombies.

***end spoiler***
Morpholino
AG
Thanks!
Dro07
AG
Please tell me that kid just died like that...
SeattleAgJr
psyche?
Dro07
AG
Dafuq
Dro07
AG
For a second I thought he was dreaming... Is this how the book ended?! That was terrible
Saxsoon
AG
Nope not how it ended
98Ag99Grad
AG
Ugh. Stupid kids. How did it end in the books?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Left wondering why I stuck with this thing. Cheesy to the end. Each episode got an extra helping as it went.
AggieDPT
AG
What kind of ending was that?!
scoodogg
AG
I too would like to know how the books end. Maybe I can imagine that I never saw the TV ending.
DannyDuberstein
AG
****book spoiler*****

Did a quick search and it looks like they get the abbies out after taking significant casualties, get the fence working, exile Pilcher (basically killing him), but with supplies running out, the remaining 250 or so decide to go back into suspension. Then 70,000 years later, Ethan wakes up. The end.

Saxsoon
AG
I haven't watched yet but the ending of the show, while somewhat similar sounds pretty drastically different. And they squeezed the third book into one episode which I am ok with because that should honestly have only been a couple extra chapters. He stretched out being chased by abbies for way much more than needed
Morpholino
AG
I watched it last night. I'll be in the minority who didn't think the ending was TERRIBLE. It was cheesy the way the kid was knocked out in the elevator shaft as mentioned.

The ending was unexpected for me, as I was expecting Sheriff Burke to "save the day". With that said I enjoy seeing non-conventional endings. Now I'm not saying that this was an awesome TV show in the grand scheme of TV shows. It was a "I'll forget about it in a week" TV show.
Sex Panther
AG
We got Shyamalaned...
ABKitch
AG
*SPOILER ALERT*

The book was better.

My opinion is that this ending left it open just enough so that if Fox wanted to create a season 2, they could. Pretty lame.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.