FOX New Series: Wayward Pines

10,566 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TexasAggies06
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'll keep watching but I'm pretty meh on this so far. Seems pretty ridiculous that the mob rallied so quickly and vehemently. And most of them were cheering at the end result? Just felt off.

Oh, and the sheriff ice cream thing is dumb.
It was the same way in the books to be honest. It was very stepford wivish throughout.
Morpholino
AG
Agree with you. I liked the premiere but the second episode was definitely meh. I'll give it a few more episodes.
CoolaidWade
AG
Would the books be better? The second episode was pretty bad..... But I like the premise. Thinking about reading the books instead.
atm0812
AG
Just watched episodes 1 and 2. It started out with a major Truman Show vibe, before veering into Shutter Island territory.

Feels like the show could still end up anywhere from mind blowing to a huge waste of time, but over the summer is definitely worth that risk.
Dro07
AG
Is the a prequel to the new Jurassic park?
rather be fishing
AG
Just finished the 3rd episode, and had not seen this thread yet. It's totally obvious that this is Shyamalan after seeing that towards the front of the thread.

And I concur on hoping it doesn't turn out terrible.
Sex Panther
AG
Just a heads up, the book is only $1.99 on Kindle right now. I went ahead and bought it, because the premise and mystery has sucked me in, but the last two episodes have been pretty bad. Guessing the book is going to be much better.
chipotle
Got the 1.99 kindle book a few weeks back as well. It kinda drags on a bit (a little overly descriptive about EVERYTHING). It was still ight. However it's difficult watching the show and knowing about what's going on. At least I think I know what's happening having only read the first book. Don't know what book 2 and 3 really offer after ending on 1.
Sex Panther
AG
So what do you think Chipotle. Go ahead and read it or wait til the show's over?
chipotle
I really don't know what to tell you. I suppose it just depends on how you want to the ending to be presented to you. Even though they've done things differently between the show and the book I would think they're on the same course for the ending. If you have to know then by all means read the book, it's pretty short.

I'm still going to watch the show all the way to the end. I can shut my brain off for a season.
Morpholino
AG
Thought it was a good 3rd episode. Like where the show is going.
thaed137
AG
Yeah feel the show could go either way. I actually like the premise in that I enjoy thinking of what I would do in those situations. If the nurse had told me about the awake surgery and sheriff had my family there....I would be pretty tempted to kill them the first chance I got, especially after they murdered that girl.
chipotle
Well, guess I need to hurry up and read the next books.
Sex Panther
AG
I definitely did not see that coming
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I definitely did not see that coming
Well, it is M Night Shamalamamamamamamama. You knew there was some sort of twist.
Philip J Fry
AG
So they are in the year 4000 or so. Humans are near extinction so therefore they murder other humans for remembering the past. Makes total sense to me.
AggieDPT
AG
Nobody knows they're in the year 4000 except for the kids. People would freak the **** out if they learned they were the only people left on earth and they were surrounded by mutants. Kinda reminded me of I am Legend.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I'm not watching the show. I came over here to see if it was worth it. For those considering the books, I thought the first one was alright (B-) but was very underwhelmed by the next 2 books. The end of the series was decent but I could see MNS screwing it up somehow.
Saxsoon
AG
The third book should have been condensed into 10 chapters to end the second book. There was no character/plot development except running from the Abbies
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
So they are in the year 4000 or so. Humans are near extinction so therefore they murder other humans for remembering the past. Makes total sense to me.

That definitely doesn't make a lot of sense, but at this point there's probably still a lot they're not telling us. I'm sure there are a few more big twists left so I'll wait and see how it plays out. I'm guessing the doctor isn't being fully transparent.

I don't know much about evolution and biology, but I think it would take a lot longer for some kind of change to take place in human DNA than 2,000 years. I'm guessing there's more to the Abby's or whatever they're called than what they are telling us so far.
Btron
AG
I'm really enjoying this, surprisingly. But one question and plot hole I have.

Spoilers

I'm not familiar with the names. But in the first episode didn't we see short doctor talking with secret service buddy? In present time? Wtf?
Also how did they get to the cryogenic freezing camps? Everyone crashes in a car in their present time then they get saved to be frozen, for what reason and why?
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Nobody knows they're in the year 4000 except for the kids. People would freak the **** out if they learned they were the only people left on earth and they were surrounded by mutants. Kinda reminded me of I am Legend.
Personally, I would seek out the doctor and and give him an extremely painful and drawn out death for putting me in this situation.
chipotle
quote:
They spoke about this on the show and was mentioned in the book. When some folks learned the truth they went into despair and killed themselves. In an effort to continue the species this closed environment was the better alternative to mass suicides.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
They spoke about this on the show and was mentioned in the book. When some folks learned the truth they went into despair and killed themselves. In an effort to continue the species this closed environment was the better alternative to mass suicides.
And it actually explains the hunts that are arranged. It keeps those that know from spreading the hysteria and keeps the population under control (in more ways than one)
Morpholino
AG
quote:
quote:

That definitely doesn't make a lot of sense, but at this point there's probably still a lot they're not telling us. I'm sure there are a few more big twists left so I'll wait and see how it plays out. I'm guessing the doctor isn't being fully transparent.

I don't know much about evolution and biology, but I think it would take a lot longer for some kind of change to take place in human DNA than 2,000 years. I'm guessing there's more to the Abby's or whatever they're called than what they are telling us so far.

Agree with this. The DNA mutations would have to be purposely induced, one way or another.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
I'm really enjoying this, surprisingly. But one question and plot hole I have.

Spoilers

I'm not familiar with the names. But in the first episode didn't we see short doctor talking with secret service buddy? In present time? Wtf?
Also how did they get to the cryogenic freezing camps? Everyone crashes in a car in their present time then they get saved to be frozen, for what reason and why?
And didn't the sheriff stop the wife and son in present day and then bring them to town? So are we dealing with time travel too?? Yeah I'm not buying the whole year 4000 BS. Something else has to be going on.
chipotle
Given that De-evolution was already pointed out in the show I guess I can say what was explained in the book:

***book 1 spoiler***

Pilcher discovered that our delicate human genome would be corrupted by our abuse of the environment. And because of the substantial environmental changes the macroevolutionary process would have occurred quickly over the course of 30 generations.

***end book 1 spoiler***

Lame. I know.
Morpholino
AG
Hmmm. Interesting. I was hoping it was gene therapy gone wrong, which sounded so much more exciting.
Dro07
AG
I made a comment that he had different hair length in the present than he did in the future.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Anyone still watching this?
Morpholino
AG
I'm still watching.

Sheriff Burke has almost come full circle. He was the one trying to escape initially, helped kill Sheriff Pope, but now he's trying to stop people from leaving Wayward. Burke hasn't resorted to public executions yet, but I wonder how long before he does.
Squirrel Master
AG
I was meh on this show at first, but as it has hit it's stride, it's been much better and interesting.

chipotle
Still watching. It has my attention.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just to clarify, I'm still watching as well, although I'd give it a "meh" overall. I've enjoyed the sort of X-files/Fringe type aspects. That said, there's been quite a bit that is eye roll worthy, but it's been good enough for a summer series and I'm invested enough to see it through to the end.
thaed137
AG
Yeah definitely a series that has me interested to some degree. I assume there is still some bigger twist yet to come but who knows. Not sure I buy the mass suicides as people find out about it, nor the point of having the workers controlling the town not living in the town. Obviously more seems to still be coming to be revealed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.