FINALLY. The official launch of THE PROJECTION LIST is here...

110,090 Views | 991 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We probably want to avoid anything with "Reel" since that's more movie-related, but the others aren't bad. ScreenCast is already taken, though. I'll toy around with the other two.
schmendeler
AG
"In the Can"

might be too suggestive...
schmendeler
AG
"One Take"
schmendeler
AG
"The Franchise"
schmendeler
AG
"Must See"

"Smash Hit"

"The Business"
schmendeler
AG
"Off the Lot"

"On the Lot"
schmendeler
AG
"Citizen Frame"
schmendeler
AG
"24 Frames"

"Screentake"
schmendeler
AG
"Instant Classic"

"Watch It"

man, i'm just throwing out pure gold here.
Bunk Moreland
The Insight

The Proxy

Screen Proxy

TCTTS
AG
This one actually made me laugh, in a good way. Because the user's ability to follow movies/shows (and other categories) will play such huge role, it's definitely appropriate. That said, I'm aiming for something a little more catchy/"serious."
TCTTS
AG
I like potentially using "Insight" in some way or another. Will play around with that.
Bunk Moreland
The Call Sheet
Bunk Moreland
I do too. I like using "Inside" in some way, but it's obviously used in way too many mediums in entertainment that there's no point in even going there.

Proxy isn't perfect, but I was trying to think of something that describes the site and what it can do also, not just to have an edgy movie/tv film name. The site is there to track, organize, inform, predict, classify, etc.

Gotta play with what it's true functions will be, and find a way to tie it into tv/film.

I'll throw out random ones as I think of them.
TCTTS
AG
The Call Sheet could be cool, too. I like the idea, at least.
schmendeler
AG
"ScreenInformer"
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed. Proxy is interesting and I'll be thinking on it as well. There could be something there. Overall, I'm looking for something that feels like it could be in the family of site names I mentioned that I like at the end of that post. I really like V-names, for some reason (The Verge, Variety, etc), but really anything that feels cutting edge and catchy.
schmendeler
AG
"Iris-In"
Quad Dog
AG
"4th Wall"

Something with List in the title. "____ List" Hit, Screen, Flix

"Blockbuster" is a great name, I don't think anyone is using it.

"Fade Out or Fade In"

This is tough, who knew IMDB would be a catchy name when they started using it. My wife owns an embroidery business and was looking for a name. She was keeping a folder of ideas on her laptop with the folder name of our address number because she couldn't think of anything else. One day I suggested she just use the number for our address as the name, and it stuck. Keep your ears and eyes open, it will come.
israeliag
AG
The Reveal

Or anything along those lines: Revealist (or ReveaList), Revealor [that one sounds dirty though], Revealed
Sex Panther
AG
I really like Disrupt

That word is super buzzy in the tech/VC industry right now. Google "Disruptors" and see what comes up... Of course that may be problematic with TechCrunch since Disrupt is the name of their annual conference, but it's not like they own the word... Or maybe they do, they're Tech people after all. Although maybe you don't like it because of the fact it's been appropriated by the Tech industry.

I can just see it working as well as something like The Verge, or Slate... "Hey man, did you check out Disrupt today?" Something that stands alone, and takes off as an extension of the identity.

The two word combination is probably the other way I'd try to go, since it gives you your own unique identity. Buzzfeed, Spotify, etc... I subscribe to this daily finance newsletter called Finimize (Finance+Minimize) which I think is clever... But I know it's easier said than done, coming up with something that works well.
Sex Panther
AG
Redstone

We know about things before you do
TCTTS
AG

quote:
This is tough, who knew IMDB would be a catchy name when they started using it. My wife owns an embroidery business and was looking for a name. She was keeping a folder of ideas on her laptop with the folder name of our address number because she couldn't think of anything else. One day I suggested she just use the number for our address as the name, and it stuck. Keep your ears and eyes open, it will come.

Exactly. That's kind of what I'm hoping, is that it'll be some random thing someone blurts out, or will come from some idea we hadn't even thought if.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

quote:

Exactly. That's kind of what I'm hoping, is that it'll be some random thing someone blurts out, or will come from some idea we hadn't even thought if.

Find a sewing machine and flip it upside down and read what's on the sticker.
TCTTS
AG
The Reveal is taken. And I don't know if it's as on-brand as I'd want the name to be, but it's an interesting word to keep playing with.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What about Horizon?

As in upcoming films on the horizon.
TCTTS
AG
I ran "Disrupt" by a couple of employees, and they thought it was too broad / techy / Silicon Valley-ish That said, both disrupt.com and thedisrupt.com are somehow available, which is crazy (though fairly expensive). I'm not opposed to it, but yeah, the dream scenario is creating a catchy new word.
TCTTS
AG
Horizon.com is taken, but thehorizon.com is available to bid on. I really like the idea, but like Disrupt, it may be too broad. I'll keep thinking on it, though.
TCTTS
AG
Thoughts on The Industry? That seems to be getting the most love among friends and a couple of co-workers, but I'm not 100% sold yet. It's somewhat of a slang term for the movie business, but could potentially be "rebranded" and claimed as our own if the site gets popular enough.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not bad, but sounds more like a band.
Bunk Moreland
The Industry is decent. I'd file it under "we can always go with this" for now.

You can do better.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I ran "Disrupt" by a couple of employees, and they thought it was too broad / techy / Silicon Valley-ish That said, both disrupt.com and thedisrupt.com are somehow available, which is crazy (though fairly expensive). I'm not opposed to it, but yeah, the dream scenario is creating a catchy new word.

Yeah I agree, I probably just like it because I read a lot on tech/entrepreneurship... I'm just shocked that it's available as a domain.

The Industry could be good for all the reasons you stated, but I'm also with you in trying to create a new word is the ideal scenario.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was gonna suggest Filmtrack but apparently that company exists.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
ReelSource
This one is pretty good. Easy to say, easy to remember, and a play on the word resource.

Nevermind, missed your post about avoiding reel.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
ReelSource
This one is pretty good. Easy to say, easy to remember, and a play on the word resource.

Nevermind, missed your post about avoiding reel.
I think so too. And I know Reel is more closely related to film, but it can work for TV as well.

But it looks like www.reelsource.com is owned by and redirects you to http://ercboxoffice.com/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.