FINALLY. The official launch of THE PROJECTION LIST is here...

109,301 Views | 991 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the posters touching with a ton of negative space outside the grid is a cleaner look. Almost creates a collage effect that makes it like a piece of artwork on the screen.

Also, no names or identifiers. Let the poster art itself generate the interest for the click. Frees up a lot of clutter that way.
BryanAggie2013
AG
quote:
I think the posters touching with a ton of negative space outside the grid is a cleaner look. Almost creates a collage effect that makes it like a piece of artwork on the screen.

Also, no names or identifiers. Let the poster art itself generate the interest for the click. Frees up a lot of clutter that way.
Seconded
TCTTS
AG
Something like this? If so, holy crap, I'm in love with this general direction. Also, imagine some kind of poster icon next to the Calendar/Updates icons. Any other notes? Since each movie won't have it's own respective page, maybe whichever poster you click on expands into a high-quality version, almost full screen?

Either way, MW03 (and Sex Panther), GREAT idea. Thank you so much. I could see users coming back for the newest posters almost as much as they do the trailers.

schmendeler
AG
Ooo, that's sharp!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks damn good!
MW03
AG
pretty close to perfect
MW03
AG
quote:
Since each movie won't have it's own respective page, maybe whichever poster you click on expands into a high-quality version, almost full screen?
I don't know if you've ever used Picasa, but they have a running border of pics at the bottom when you load up the program. They are icon-sized similar to what you have on the grid. When you click the pic, it enlarges it to full res. If you could get it to load into full res but add a Gaussian blur to the background (maybe even darken it or lighten it, depending on the overall mode of the site), I think the net effect would be super slick and high end.

Imagine it like the background of your iphone when you have a webpage up but pull down the settings bar. That kind of colored blur of the rest of the images.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah I love it... Think it gives the site a nice additional feature and a great visual extension, while still maintaining the clean and minimalist approach.

The newest posters at the top left is probably the way to go, and definitely the easiest, but just for reference the iTunes screensaver has a constantly changing array of pictures. You can see what it looks like in this link:

It's really cool, but probably overly complicated and might not be necessary for TPL's purpose. Either way, I think you're definitely on to a great addition.
jeffk
AG
Looks awesome.
TCTTS
AG
Man, this Atlantic article is starting to blow up. It's 10 AM Pacific and I already have 2000 unique users on the day, which is more than I had all of yesterday when the story first went up.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Yeah I love it... Think it gives the site a nice additional feature and a great visual extension, while still maintaining the clean and minimalist approach.

The newest posters at the top left is probably the way to go, and definitely the easiest, but just for reference the iTunes screensaver has a constantly changing array of pictures. You can see what it looks like in this link:

It's really cool, but probably overly complicated and might not be necessary for TPL's purpose. Either way, I think you're definitely on to a great addition.

Agreed. Definitely adds a huge visual component the site was missing, and that's why I love it so much.

And yeah, I've used that screensaver before, but the constantly changing angle may not quite work for this. Still, it might be a cool way to show more posters than originally intended. I'll talk to the designers and see what they think.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Since each movie won't have it's own respective page, maybe whichever poster you click on expands into a high-quality version, almost full screen?
I don't know if you've ever used Picasa, but they have a running border of pics at the bottom when you load up the program. They are icon-sized similar to what you have on the grid. When you click the pic, it enlarges it to full res. If you could get it to load into full res but add a Gaussian blur to the background (maybe even darken it or lighten it, depending on the overall mode of the site), I think the net effect would be super slick and high end.

Imagine it like the background of your iphone when you have a webpage up but pull down the settings bar. That kind of colored blur of the rest of the images.

I've never used Picasa, but I'll look into that and play around with different options for sure. That sounds really cool. Thanks for the heads up!
israeliag
AG
Nice natural next iteration!
Teacher_Ag
AG
quote:
Man, this Atlantic article is
starting to blow up. It's 10 AM Pacific and I already have 2000 unique
users on the day, which is more than I had all of yesterday when the
story first went up.

That's what happens when I RT something.

TCTTS
AG
Ok, this is starting to get crazy...

Bunk Moreland
Sex Panther
AG
Quinn
AG

Whats wrong with your gif?

Edit: Fixed it.
Bunk Moreland
Did that fix it?
Saxsoon
AG
Pssh, Bloomberg.
Saxsoon
israeliag
AG

You should look for some reciprocity from this Bloomberg dude. See if you could use the information he gleaned for your future needs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another bullseye for TC with the Star Wars trailer projection.

Made a comment on the reddit thread trying to get him some traffic. If you get a chance, give it an upvote to get it some visibility. Could potentially get him as much traffic as last time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/30vs93/new_star_wars_trailer_will_play_in_front_of/cpwp365?context=3
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Thanks!
schmendeler
AG
Careful, the people on reddit are a vulnerable group.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah.
Sentinel
AG
Let's just hope they never find this thread.
schmendeler
AG
question for TCTTS: is there a way to see the release dates for past movies? i was looking at the site just now, and wanted to check out the imdb page/rotten tomatoes page for "it follows" (since i was already on your site) which came out last week or the week before, but i can't seem to find it. perhaps it's really obvious and i'm not seeing it, but if you can, how do you do it?
TCTTS
AG
At the bottom: BROWSE BY > YEAR > 2015 will bring up all of 2015, starting in January. Then you can control+F "It Follows" (though I think it was March 20).

It's not as intuitive as we hoped it'd be. Trying to add a way more obvious "PREVIOUS WEEKS" button just above the listings in the next phase. It's included in the designs to my programmers, so hopefully they can make it work.
schmendeler
AG
Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
So... I just got out of a two and a half hour meeting regarding The Projection List.

I can't say much right now, only that I'm not being bought, but I was presented with a super legit opportunity to merge with a new(ish) entity that could ultimately result in something far bigger than I ever imagined; an entity in which I'd be one of two partners, and one that has a full-fledged staff. Not a lot of deal-type details were discussed - it was more conceptual and a "here's what we want to do, go home and think about it" kind of thing - but we're meeting again on Tuesday to really dive into the nitty gritty.

Again, I can't get specific (I even have to sign an NDA on Tuesday), but I just wanted to let you guys know that big things - some potentially VERY big things - could be in the works for The Projection List. Still weighing the pros and cons, but at the end of the day, I'd be an idiot not to go down this path, so that's probably what I'm going to do.

The only thing that sucks is that the updates I want to implement may not be implemented until this new entity debuts, which could very well be the end of the year. Still, there's a lot to figure out, so who knows. And when the new version potentially does debut, it's going to have more functionality than I ever could have dreamed.

So, yeah. Just wanted to keep you guys updated and say that by this time next year, The Projection List may very well be a part of one of the biggest sites to hit the movie/TV world in years. A site that's going to do more than just compete with the big boys. Get ready.
TCTTS
AG
Also, The Projection List just went big in... Germany. I have no idea what this site is, but it's generated over 1000 hits for me today. Pretty funny to see....

http://blog.zeit.de/teilchen/2015/04/09/serien-filme-streaming-projection-list/
schmendeler
AG
awesome, dude!
Sex Panther
AG
So awesome man!
jeffk
AG
I feel so much like Redstone it's scary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.