FINALLY. The official launch of THE PROJECTION LIST is here...

109,048 Views | 991 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
BEaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So....

How's it going?

I feel like it's been long enough since the last update to ask, but I feel bad for asking anyway.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I've been waiting for someone to ask before breaking the news, but unfortunately we had to close up shop in May.

Two main issues did us in:

1) Trying to RUN a site and BUILD a site at the same time proved too much. I stopped updating The Projection List in 2015 because I couldn't run a company and keep updating that site simultaneously, but for the site I partnered with, we not only kept that one going, we increased the writing staff and added a few other positions as well. It was a relatively popular site with great traffic and a decent size social media following (60K+ followers), and we wanted to keep that momentum/following while building the new site. We thought it wouldn't be as hard as it ended up being, and boy were we wrong. Running a site and building a new one - each with a decent size staff - just became overwhelming, and far too expensive. 100%, we should have shut down the other site and then focused ALL of our attention and efforts on the new one, and then built a new audience from scratch at launch.

2) If anyone out there is ever thinking of building a massive new site/platform, DO NOT hire your own in-house tech team. We made that mistake, and that is ultimately what did us is in, more so than the issue above. It was a catch-22 because the platform was so detailed, complex, and specific, that we needed programmers and developers basically at our beck and call 24/7, sorting out ideas with us, telling us what could and couldn't be done, etc., but the problem was that A) we were a start-up and could barely afford competitive salaries (and those f*ckers get paid A LOT for working basically 11 AM to 5 PM, if that, five days a week), and B) because of that, they essentially had the power to "hold us hostage," so to speak, in not meeting certain deadlines, saying "no" to certain features, etc. They had us over the barrel and they knew it. Admittedly, we probably asked for too much, and the relationship became contentious. In hindsight, what we should have done is hire an outside company to build the site for us, one that had to meet deadlines, couldn't say no to us (based on previously agreed upon parameters/features), etc.

Anyway, long story short, we had as many as 30 employees at one point, and I wouldn't wish having to let go of that many people, one by one, on my worst enemy (though, again, some of them I admittedly despised, and did get a certain amount satisfaction in doing so). And all of this isn't to say we won't try to raise more money and give this another shot down the road. I think if we were to give it another try, the play would be to do a stripped down version at first - i.e. not trying to go head-to-head with IMDB out of the gate - but build to an IMDB competitor over the course of a few years. In order to make a splash, we thought we had to do the latter, along with having a fully functional news/articles component, job board, etc., and it was all just too much in the end.

There's still a giant hole on the web for a Projection List-like site, and trust me, I still have any itchy finger to do it, and do it right this time, but for the time being my focus is 100% on my production company. As obsessive as I am about release dates and trailers and what not, my passion still lies far more in writing/producing, and it feels incredible to be back writing everyday. We optioned a Texas Monthly article, which I'm currently adapting as a feature, and I could not be more fired up about the story we're telling with that, and the interest it's already garnering. Then we have another movie and three shows we're developing, with some big names attached or circling, each right on the verge of happening, but this town moves slower than molasses, so we'll see. Either way, it's all super exciting stuff, and after a terribly sh*tty first half of the year, being forced to let one dream die (at least for the time being), I haven't been as satisfied in years as I am right now, and am beyond stoked for where the other company is heading.
BEaggie08
AG
Sad for TPL, but I'm thrilled that you're so fulfilled by what's going on now. As long as you continue sharing and participating on this board, that's good enough for me. I look forward to hearing about your current projects when they have reached a point where it's okay to share more.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and contributing so much to this board.
TCTTS
Redstone
AG
It was a good run.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry to hear, TC. But you really swung for the fences and gave it a hell of a shot.
Quad Dog
AG
Sorry to hear about that. But it sounds like you learned an important lesson about core competencies from this that you can apply to future endeavors. Focus on what you know, can do well, and sets you apart from others and contract out all the other stuff (IT, development, etc.) to companies that do that stuff well.
There are plenty of amazing looking website with terrible content. And there are plenty of terrible looking websites with amazing content (IMDB for one). Usually content seems to win.
Sex Panther
AG
Redstone said:

It was a good run.

It was... also I knew about it before you
Saxsoon
AG
God this thread was so much fun back then and made me feel in the know. Must be how red stone feels all the time. Good luck on everything tc
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
Much appreciated, guys.

I have a feeling I'll be revisiting another iteration of The Projection List at some point in the next couple of years. Most of the new TPL sections were built and functioning, just not refined yet, and I of course still own all the code. We had a whole database team that was editing and adding movies for nearly a year, and out of that grew a fairly thorough instructional daily task guide/manual that I made that I can use going forward. I simply don't have the time any more to run/update something like that on a daily basis, but if I find the time/money to finish building just the TPL sections one day, I could easily hire a couple of guys to run the day-to-day operations based on all the protocols we came up with.

So, well see. But for the time being, I need to get the writing/production side of things fully operational, i.e. get some projects in theaters and on the air...
Redstone
AG
I'm glad that my input here helped to guide the project, and sorry to hear this news.
I'll try to set aside some time, early next week, to provide some direction on where to go next.
Happy labour day.
mazag08
AG
We've had our beef, but I applaud you for taking a chance on a passion project. Despite what you think, I'm actually a big fan of yours. I turned 3 close friends who are movie buffs on to TPL when you went live back in the day.

Best of luck in your future.
TCTTS
AG
I truly appreciate that. Thank you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.