Wow, this is harsh - Country Music

115,016 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieSouth06
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Macarthur said:

But this is what seems odd to me.

Maybe rbtexan has answered this before somewhere in this long thread, but it would seem to me that $ and quality are not mutually exclusive. Sturgill and Isbell both debuted at #1, right? Stapleton has done very well. I do think, for the most part, people will like quality music.

So with where country music is, what is the egg and what is the chicken? Have the execs followed the dumbing down of the consumer or is it the other way around? Did the industry see a way to make better margins by cutting out the artistic element and making it more manufactured and thus more repeatable. Then we will spend lots of $ to convince the consumer that this is what is good.
Excellent question, and I'll give it my best shot to answer.

In principle, quality and $$ are not mutually exclusive. And yes, Isbell, Stapleton and Simpson have all had albums on the top of the charts. I also agree that if you put the right music, of high quality, in front of the right audience, they will respond favorably and love it.

The problem is, that nobody is really selling that much anymore - just a handful of artists. Isbell et al debuted and/or went #1 because they have a very loyal, built-in fan base who rush out and buy their product immediately when it comes out. That creates an artificial bump in their sales and it usually takes a huge drop after a week or two. Long term they sell steady, but not huge. Labels have started making up the difference in declining music sales by signing artists to what are called "360" deals, where they participate in all of the artists' income (live shows, concessions, etc.). They also get money from streaming services, and the stuff that gets streamed the most is what's on the radio. So they swing for the fences for the big money, big venue type artists rather than the ones like the guys we mentioned, because rather than looking at the big picture, they've got corporate big brother breathing down their necks and they're living quarter to quarter just trying to keep their jobs. Artists, true artists, take longer to be successful generally speaking. Stapleton has been knocking around for well over a decade for example. Labels would rather have a one-hit wonder that sells/streams a boatload and then disappears than to make the $$ and time investment into developing acts that push the envelope.

The other problem is that radio formats continue to get tighter and tighter...less music, more commercials. The power pendulum has swung from the labels to the radio stations, especially the corporate ones like ClearChannel. To a VERY large degree, radio is dictating to labels what they will or will not play. They demand a lot of the exact crap you're hearing...uptempo, party, nothing to heavy or negative...because that's what their ****ty marketing people say their listeners want (what they listened to last week is CLEARLY what they want every week...morons, marketing people are effing morons). So since labels believe that without radio they're hosed, they cave in and give them what they want. Cart leading the horse.

That's a very Readers Digest version, but it pretty much covers what is going on.
Macarthur
Good stuff, rb.
Counterpoint
AG
Thanks rb. Great read...but horrible news. Do you see anything that could potentially change how things work?
Sex Panther
AG
Macarthur said:

Sex Panther said:

tomtomdrumdrum said:

Sex Panther said:

Has anyone heard the song that's been playing nonstop on Gameday and ESPN during college football games this season? Band called Waterloo Revival, the song is Backwood Bump.

It's as bro country as it gets... and full disclosure. I'm buddies with those guys. I liked their music better before they got to Nashville, but hey, I wish them nothing but success.

It has been interesting to see the makeover and transformation they've gotten since signing with one of the big labels there. Basically everything we complain about in this thread.

Lol I drummed for them for a year. I agree with everything you said.

That's cool... I'm sure I saw you play a ton in Austin. I went to all of their shows. Everyone in the band is a really talented musician.

Yeah it is what it is... Those guys are awesome dudes, so obviously I'm rooting for them. The music has become cheesy as hell, but they look like they're pretty happy and their lives seem badass now. I'm sure I'd have done the same thing.

Still funny to see George spiking his hair and wearing chains and wrist cuffs though.

so, this is funny to me.

I'm sure George is a great guy, and again, I don't begrudge folks for making a living. I wouldn't normally wear the dress clothes I have to wear for work everyday either, but what about country music means a dude has to spike his hair and wear chains and wrist cuffs?

Nothing... it's just pop music. Image is probably more important than the music. The label obviously said, "We need you to wear this, and go to this hair dresser... You have to look the part."

Like I said, it is what it is. Easy to criticize, but would any of us do it differently? Well minus the actual musicians posting in here like RB and tomtomdrum.

Fun fact though, they made a music video with the "Alabamaaaa's gooooiiin down!" girl... I was so jealous.

rbtexan
S
I wish I could be more optimistic, but no.

My profession is virtually extinct. There are fewer and fewer opportunities for either songwriters or artists, and so I expect the trend to continue in appealing to the lowest common denominator. Almost all of my activity these days is either bluegrass, foreign (Canada in particular), Americana/Texas market or legacy artists (those artists who had hits years ago but aren't getting airplay much anymore). We did the math at NSAI the other day, and there's basically 75 writers in Nashville getting cuts that matter and making big money (relatively speaking since songwriters are the worst paid in the food chain).

The artists who "write" generally write to get radio play, which means when you work with them, they want to write the tailgate-daisy duke sh*t. It's creatively stifling and there are truly very few days where I really enjoy my job anymore. I find myself wishing I was 10 years older so I could just retire and not feel guilty about doing it.

The only ray of hope, as tiny as it is, is that some artist will come along and blow the doors wide open, the way Garth and Randy Travis did. I had hopes it would be Stapleton, but he's still struggling at radio so I'm not sure he'll be the one. Isbell and Simpson don't seem to really be interested in being "country" and have forged out their own impressive careers without mainstream success, so I doubt it will be one of them.

Maybe if the Feds re-regulated radio, or if some favorable laws could get passed that would make the money at least decent, but there's a lot of opposition to that by the tech industry. All I do is write the best I can and hope something changes.

Sad times indeed.
Sex Panther
AG
Damn man... sorry to hear that. Keep your head up and hopefully it'll pay off.

If anything at least you've got some Ags here that appreciate you.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Sex Panther said:

Has anyone heard the song that's been playing nonstop on Gameday and ESPN during college football games this season? Band called Waterloo Revival, the song is Backwood Bump.

It's as bro country as it gets... and full disclosure. I'm buddies with those guys. I liked their music better before they got to Nashville, but hey, I wish them nothing but success.

It has been interesting to see the makeover and transformation they've gotten since signing with one of the big labels there. Basically everything we complain about in this thread.

googled it...made it 26 seconds in.
Satellite of Love
ruddyduck said:

Sex Panther said:

The line dance that goes with the song is just as bad. Looks like you are suppose to take a sh** on the floor.
Sex Panther
AG
ruddyduck said:

Sex Panther said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Satellite of Love said:

The line dance that goes with the song is just as bad. Looks like you are suppose to take a sh** on the floor.

that's still a thing?
Counterpoint
AG
rbtexan said:

The artists who "write" generally write to get radio play, which means when you work with them, they want to write the tailgate-daisy duke sh*t. It's creatively stifling and there are truly very few days where I really enjoy my job anymore. I find myself wishing I was 10 years older so I could just retire and not feel guilty about doing it.

Do they actually enjoy writing songs like that, or are they kind of sarcastically trying to "check all the cliche boxes" and make the dumbest songs they can...knowing that the public will love it?

For some reason I'd feel better if I knew they hated that crap too, but loved the $.
rbtexan
S
They don't know any better.

When I got here there were writers like Harlan Howard, Max D. Barnes etc., and great publishers like Bob Beckham and Henry Hurt who taught scrubs like me how to write. The bar was set much higher and if you didn't write great songs, you didn't get signed to a publishing deal, much less get cuts.

Now all you have to do to get signed is look good and sing reasonably well. These kids get no training like I got because there's nobody left to teach them. The only creative measuring stick they have is what they hear on the radio. So that's where the bar is set.
Counterpoint
AG
rbtexan said:

They don't know any better.

When I got here there were writers like Harlan Howard, Max D. Barnes etc., and great publishers like Bob Beckham and Henry Hurt who taught scrubs like me how to write. The bar was set much higher and if you didn't write great songs, you didn't get signed to a publishing deal, much less get cuts.

Now all you have to do to get signed is look good and sing reasonably well. These kids get no training like I got because there's nobody left to teach them. The only creative measuring stick they have is what they hear on the radio. So that's where the bar is set.
Damn.
Professor Frick
AG
Wow, just listened to Waterloo Revival's big single "Bad for You". These labels aren't even trying to pretend these are country songs anymore. This was the most straight ahead top 40 pop song I've heard being sold as 'country'.

The problem is, no offense to them, that it's pretty bland as far as pop songs go. So it's actually a smart move pushing this on country radio, because those fans are even less discerning than your average pop audience.
Redstone
AG
Well, a lot of bros these days don't know what it means to bro-country. It really should be about more than tailgates and booty shorts and beer - there is also muddin', chillin', ect.

It's changed, for sure, but I do think some young bros still understand. We will see.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG

Gigem314
AG
rbtexan said:

Now all you have to do to get signed is look good and sing reasonably well.
Product of the 'American Idol' and 'The Voice' music culture we have now...all genre's.
rbtexan
S
Gigem314 said:

rbtexan said:

Product of the 'American Idol' and 'The Voice' music culture we have now...all genre's.

Absolutely. There is very real "cut to the front of the line" mentality with the young writer/artists. They don't want to pay dues and work their way up, and most of them don't have the patience or strength of character to do it.

It's very weird here these days. Thanks to that craptastic TV show, more aspiring singer/songwriters are flocking to Nashville than ever, and there are less opportunities for them than ever. Strike up a conversation with virtually every bartender/server/Uberdriver/etc. and you'll here something along the lines of "This is my job, but I'm really trying to get a record deal/make it as a songwriter".
rbtexan
S
I realize that I have beat this horse completely to death, but more screw jobs.

Maria Pallante Removed as U.S. Register Of Copyrights

Librarian Of Congress' Reassignment Letter To Maria Pallante

What Maria Pallantes' Removal Means

Folks, America needs to wake the **ck up. Google is buying the Federal Government piece by piece, and before long they're going to control literally everything.

FWIW, I'm not a tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist - I think people of that ilk are ridiculous. This isn't smoke and mirrors, this is real and it's happening daily. And nobody gives a damn, because we'd rather post on Facebook or Twitter about how we got a cold Mocha Latte from Starbucks.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Quote:

The search for a new Register of Copyrights is likely to be a contentious one, since technology companies and organizations that they fund believe that the Copyright Office tends to be biased toward creators.

Well, yeah, no **** . Shouldn't copyrights be biased toward the creator of said creation? ****ing big corporations..
TexasAggie_02
AG
country music is dead. I hear Bryan White on Country Legends 97.1 the other day.
Macarthur
I'm posting this just for the hell of it!!!

PJYoung
AG
http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/midland-surprises-arouses-suspicion-with-big-machine-debut-ep/

I really, really like their 5 song debut EP. They have a great sound.

This article delves into a lot of the issues that this thread is about. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:

The lingering concern with a band like Midland is if they have the real stuff to ingratiate themselves to grassroots fans, or if they're more of the mainstream answer to a phenomenon that's occurring outside of the industry's influence that they wish to incorporate. For every Grateful Dead there's a Strawberry Alarm Clock, and it remains to be seen which side of that divide that Midland resides on, regardless of the dues paid in previous incarnations of the band.

"Drinking Problem" was co-written by Shane McAnally and Josh Osbornetwo of the most dyed-in-the-wool Music Row songwriters in existence. For context, Shane McAnally produced both Sam Hunt's Montevallo and Old Dominion's Meat and Candy. McAnally is at the very core of the "Metro-Bro" movement, and now he's writing classic country songs for Americana-level acts.

There's also fair concern about the attention to styling that seems to permeate everything about Midlandtheir sleek suite of band photos, and even the final song on this EP "Electric Rodeo" seems to want to set a visual component to their music that precedes the music itself. This project could benefit from having a bit of dirt rubbed on it, and maybe lose a little bit of the sexpot posturing.
But all of these are concernsthough maybe warrantedstill don't seem to be able to erode the appeal of their music. Midland is just really great at what they do on this EP. You like it immediately, and can listen to it over and over. And whether you consider yourself a pure country fan or more Americana leaning, it's still feels right down your alley.

It's frustrating how the mainstream thinks you must release an EP from an artist before you can release their debut full-length.
Liquid Wrench
Welp, I drank myself through the night and listened to a bunch of Chris Stapleton.

I think he's not a great songwriter, but he sounds cool. Like a cool guy you wouldn't talk to for real long.
Engine10
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

people will still buy traditional country if it's good. Aaron Watson's last album went straight to #1 on itunes when it came out.

Aaron Watson's newest album dropped recently, and he opens the Houston Rodeo tomorrow night. Apparently recording a live album as well.

Redstone
AG
There's a huge amount of authentic country music being made now - for example, check out Chris Janson ("Buy Me a Boat, co-author of "Truck Yeah") and several others pushed ttt of iTunes by iheartmedia DJs.
AggieSouth06
Gigem314 said:

rbtexan said:

To be fair, with VERY few exceptions (Clarkson and Underwood), none of them actually find any success in music.

And by and large most popular male country singers are ugly f***s.
Orome
AG
Here's a good one by Midland that didn't make their EP

Weimerica
Engine10 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

people will still buy traditional country if it's good. Aaron Watson's last album went straight to #1 on itunes when it came out.

Aaron Watson's newest album dropped recently, and he opens the Houston Rodeo tomorrow night. Apparently recording a live album as well.

Listened to a bit of this album. It was good until he decided to make one of the most ridiculous virtue signaling songs I've seen in years with "Clear Isabel" which is a literal pro-illegal immigration song wherein he makes the song about some border town family who took in a father and daughter out of the goodness of their hearts because they left Mexico due to the cartels. Eventually the man in the song from the border town family marries the daughter.

What a joke. Not only does it show his complete ignorance of what is going on at the border, but he just proved himself to be another entertainer who thinks his opinion matters.

I don't care at all that he flavors Mexican heritage into his songs because Texas has a long history with Tejanos, who fought as Texians in the Texas Revolution, but I absolutely draw the line at illegal immigration. One group is Texan through and through and the other is either a foreign invader or a criminal.

When will these idiots learn to keep their damn mouths shut about politics?
spadilly
S
http://theboot.com/aaron-watson-vaquero-interview-2017/

Quote:

"I wanted this album to have epic moments," Watson says, though he wasn't anticipating that the songs would feel so timely.

"We were all immigrants unless you were an American Indian we're all blessed to be in this country," Watson muses, "but, at the same time, we need to have secure borders, which make us safe, and we need to quite allowing them to bring drugs

"It's such a complex issue, but at the end of the day, the problem is this: The left side and the right side, they both refuse to be respectful and acknowledge each other's point ," he continues. "There needs to be love, and grace, and mercy, and compassion and understanding."

TexasAggie_02
AG
humans just didn't spontaneously appear worldwide. we've had to immigrate to every single place on earth.
AggieSouth06
Don't know the guy, but I'm willing to bet he cares even less that you're upset about his position on this issue than the posters on this board do.

Which is to say, none. None at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.