Wow, this is harsh - Country Music

115,009 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieSouth06
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/10/jason_aldean_florida_georgia_line_gexa_energy_pavilion_review.php
COOL LASER FALCON
I usually hate when reviews just turn into writers showing how many ways they can say something was terrible, but if there's one time I'm ok with it, this is it.
19 inch cobra
Pretty good description of pretty much all country music and the culture surrounding it.
Btron
AG
quote:
Tyler Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line looks like country music's take on Scott Stapp, with his flowing hair and affinity for bare skin and crosses. While on stage he and Brian Kelley and the rest of the band all sported one of their own band's T-shirts. Yes, they're an entire band of "that guys."
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
Congrats bro-country, you have your Limp Bizkit.

LOL

Prob a lot of Aggies there. Post here in shame. Bear your scarlet letter.
Lungblood
I refuse to believe they exist irl.
p-townag
AG
I actually talked to someone who went to the San Antonio version.

"It was a great show," he said, standing with me at a kids Halloween party, wearing a black pearl snap shirt, tight jeans, and black pointed toe boots.
Diggity
AG
quote:
I approached Saturday night's show with an open mind, but one glance at the insanely packed parking lot and I realized maybe the stereotype of the modern country music fan (privileged, a little slow, boisterous and in love with terrible music and terrible beer) was completely dead on. In this scene chaos reigned: Michelob Ultra was chugged as if it was a life-extending elixir of the gods, mini-barbecues raged and Florida-Georgia Line's "Dirt" was blasted at tornado siren levels. There are SEC tailgates that don't get this wild. A sea of scantily clad women in cut-off shorts and fashionista cowboy boots swarmed around trading jello shots and dancing on any man who offered a beer. Ass is abundant and of low value at a bro-country shows.
I don't go for this kind of music...but what exactly is wrong with this scene?
Nagler
AG
http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/florida-georgia-lines-anything-goes-is-the-worst-album-in-the-history-of-country-music
mazag08
AG
I'm no fan of bro country, but the purists go out of their way to sound like old geezers.

"Get off my lawn with your beer and your scantily dressed women!"

I guess they miss the days of hundreds of people sitting in front of the stage quietly listening, and then golf clapping upon completion of a song.

The most fun is the anti pop country crowd who owns the whole collection of cross Canadian ragweed albums and thinks boys of Oklahoma is the coolest song ever.
West Texan
FtBendTxAg
AG
I lump CCR firmly into the same group as jason Aldean and Florida Georgia line.
Sex Panther
AG
"Got on my smell good.
Got a bottle of feel good.
Shined up my wheels good.
You're looking real good."

Macarthur
quote:
I'm no fan of bro country, but the purists go out of their way to sound like old geezers.

I guess they miss the days of hundreds of people sitting in front of the stage quietly listening, and then golf clapping upon completion of a song.

The most fun is the anti pop country crowd who owns the whole collection of cross Canadian ragweed albums and thinks boys of Oklahoma is the coolest song ever.

I usually have my radar up for old timers syndrome but I think you're off base here.

I don't dislike anything new. I dislike sh*t. This music is sh*t. I think your characterization of older music being tame and the 'golf clap' as you put is off base, also. Bro country didn't invent drinking and womanizing. But it has taken it to a highly superficial and lowest common denominator level.

Ultimately it's about making art. At least it should be. Complex doesn't equal good and simplistic doesn't equal bad. But there are some basic elements to the art from that need to be met. This stuff doesn't even try. I'm so lonesome I could cry is one of the most simplistic pieces of music ever made, but I also think it's one of the top 5 songs ever written.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Ultimately it's about making art. At least it should be. Complex doesn't equal good and simplistic doesn't equal bad. But there are some basic elements to the art from that need to be met. This stuff doesn't even try. I'm so lonesome I could cry is one of the most simplistic pieces of music ever made, but I also think it's one of the top 5 songs ever written.

pop music has rarely even been about "making art"
COOL LASER FALCON
I agree with Macarthur. The FGL stuff that I've heard literally might be the worst music I'm aware of on a large scale like this. It's pandering, not clever and the music is bland at best. I'm far from a music snob and enjoy cheap pop music which is pretty close to where I put stuff like Cross Canadian Ragweed. This is a whole different level for me.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Robert Ellis.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
pop music has rarely even been about "making art"

There has always been some trash in popular music, true.

However, at the very least, folks like Madonna, gaga, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and I'm sure there are others, that actually do write. And even if they don't, being a talented performer/singer is an art form, as well.

I find nothing redeeming about what these folks are doing.
Lungblood
Also agree with Mac and I'll say this. When you refer to cross Canadian ragweed as "CCR", I've lost interest in your musical opinion. Bro on broseph.
Diggity
AG
quote:
don't get me wrong...I don't either, but there have always been groups out there like this. They're designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
don't get me wrong...I don't either, but there have always been groups out there like this. They're designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Sure, but you can't deny the scope of this though. It has come to define an entire genre. It is what the majority of country fans view as country music, and I dare say 'good country music'....
Diggity
AG
hasn't this been the case with country for about a decade now?
Stive
AG
quote:
Yes.....but it's been steadily getting worse (especially over the last 4-5 years). It's almost like they're doing this to continue their own punchline of stupid music.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
Yes.....but it's been steadily getting worse (especially over the last 4-5 years). It's almost like they're doing this to continue their own punchline of stupid music.
Yeah, I agree with Stive. It's almost like the songwriters are trying to see how ridiculous they can make the songs and people still buy it.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Also agree with Mac and I'll say this. When you refer to cross Canadian ragweed as "CCR", I've lost interest in your musical opinion. Bro on broseph.
I read the "CCR" post before the one mentioning Cross Canadian Ragweed, and I was like, "WTF???" thinking he meant the real CCR.
Macarthur
Some of you may or may not know who Joe Rogen is. He is a former MMA guy and a comedian. HE does a podcast that's pretty good.

Last week he did one with Sturgill Simpson. I haven't listened to all of it, but what I did was really good.

Sturgill made a comment that I thought was interesting. He said when the LA hair band scene fell apart in the late 80s/early 90s, all of those producers moved to Nashville. He said those are now the entrenched producers in Nashville. So what you hear now is nothing but Poison with a fiddle.

I thought that was interesting. Not sure how true it is or if it's hyperbole.
MSFC Aggie
AG
I find the bro-country era very similar to the hair band era. However, at least the beginning of the hair band era wasn't a big, steamy pile of ****. Bro-country will meet it's demise just like the hair bands did.
Texags is garbage
I get that there's been a steady decline, but it's as if they're running some kind of experiment to see how stupid fans are these days. I seriously want to blow **** up when I hear Luke Bryan (Kermit the Frog) on the radio. He is absolutely terrible in every way possible.
BryanAggie2013
AG
quote:
quote:

I usually have my radar up for old timers syndrome but I think you're off base here.

I don't dislike anything new. I dislike sh*t. This music is sh*t. I think your characterization of older music being tame and the 'golf clap' as you put is off base, also. Bro country didn't invent drinking and womanizing. But it has taken it to a highly superficial and lowest common denominator level.

Amen
AggieSouth06
I've always wondered who the hell is keeping The Buckle in business. Surely nobody dresses like that anymore, right?

Question answered.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
don't dislike anything new. I dislike sh*t. This music is sh*t. I think your characterization of older music being tame and the 'golf clap' as you put is off base, also. Bro country didn't invent drinking and womanizing. But it has taken it to a highly superficial and lowest common denominator level.

This
swimmerbabe11
"Poison with a fiddle"

That explains so much.
COOL LASER FALCON
I actually think we should stop calling it bro country and start calling it hair country.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
He said when the LA hair band scene fell apart in the late 80s/early 90s, all of those producers moved to Nashville. He said those are now the entrenched producers in Nashville. So what you hear now is nothing but Poison with a fiddle.
Mutt Lange and Shania Twain come to mind.
Diggity
AG
looks like Mutt is working with Muse on their new album

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.