Wow, this is harsh - Country Music

115,121 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieSouth06
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
"Poison with a fiddle"

That explains so much.
Natasha Romanoff
I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in hating this new country crap. It literally all sounds the same and the lyrics are so stupid.
Teslag
AG
At least some of the hair metal guys were extremely talented
Macarthur
quote:
At least some of the hair metal guys were extremely talented
True. Some could really play their instrument.
Out in Left Field
AG
quote:
But it has taken it to a highly superficial and lowest common denominator level.
Welcome to America, Seth.

dfphotos
Poison with a fiddle? Where's the f'ing fiddle? This is worse than anything Poison ever did.
tmaggie50
AG
there is just nothing that the general public can do about music like this. It feels like Im apart of a North Korean experiment when I listen to the radio. Every song sounds the same and has the same shat lyrics. Noone is actually listening to an "artist" performing, your just listening to whatever the Nashville producer tells you is good.

As for country music, and music in general, it always feels like a d*** measuring competition as to who listens to the "most pure and real" country/folk/ whatever type of music. I just prefer music that the artist generally had influence on the actual writing of the song and give it bonus points if its a bout his own experiences or takes on life. Story telling is a huge bonus.
Macarthur
quote:

As for country music, and music in general, it always feels like a d*** measuring competition as to who listens to the "most pure and real" country/folk/ whatever type of music. I just prefer music that the artist generally had influence on the actual writing of the song and give it bonus points if its a bout his own experiences or takes on life. Story telling is a huge bonus.

You just criticized people that do exactly what you said you prefer?
Macarthur
quote:
Poison with a fiddle? Where's the f'ing fiddle? This is worse than anything Poison ever did.
lol
Lungblood
Poison with a Fiddle would be a great garage band Name.
Beer Baron
AG
Florida Georgia Line are basically just a Nickelback cover band.
dfphotos
Someone mentioned Creed too. Fitting.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Funny you say that, and not sure if you read that article posted above about them, but from that article....
quote:
Everybody knows where Florida Georgia Line is going to lead. Scott Borchetta must know it. Their producer Joey Moi, formerly of Nickelback must know it. Their manager Kevin Zaruk, also formerly of Nickelback, apparently knows it,...

And it explains a lot.
Belton Ag
AG
I had never heard of these people until a couple weeks ago when my wife was telling me about them and how sh/tty their music is.

I LOLed because my wife, God bless her, has the sh/ttiest taste in music of anyone I know. So if she thinks they're sh/tty, then they must approach a level of sh/tty that is unfathomable.
Brock Sampson
AG
Worst part about college football on Saturday is having to hear the Florida Georgia line intro song.
Apache
AG
i wish you could still hear classic country like "Watermelon Crawl" on the radio these days!

BurnetAggie99
No country classics are Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe, Johnny Paycheck, Keith Whitley, Hank Sr & Hank Jr, Buck Owens, Marty Robbins, Earnest Tubb, Charlie Pride, Vern Gosdin, Don Williams, Johnny Rodriguez, and so on.
Redstone
AG
Good grief why do people have to be so snotty? Does it really impact your life at all that bros and their ladies enjoy a certain type of music? This board can really be insufferable.
Duncan Idaho
I hate bro country since before Robert earl stopped wearing a hat.
AirplaneAg09
AG
quote:
Ultimately it's about making art.

At the risk of totally hijacking the thread, I disagree with this. I'd argue that it's about having fun and playing something that makes you feel good either by yourself or with friends in a band. I don't think the majority of people making music today, good or bad, picked up an instrument with the intent of ultimately, making art.

I'd agree there should be maybe a higher standard at this "level" of music, but even then, it's more about making money and I can't really fault anyone for that.

Just my two cents is all.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Good grief why do people have to be so snotty? Does it really impact your life at all that bros and their ladies enjoy a certain type of music? This board can really be insufferable.
This might be the funniest thing I've ever read in my 15 years on Texags.
Professor Frick
AG
Please don't encourage him. We had a nice little run there where people stopped responding to his tired schtick, and it was a nice Redstone free board for a while.
Sex Panther
AG
Redstone is hilarious.
Ulrich
quoting myself from a while back on a similar thread:
quote:
It's like someone who hates country music created a parody that caught on with the very people it was mocking.
israeliag
AG
quote:
I'd argue that it's about having fun and playing something that makes you feel good either by yourself or with friends in a band.

I'd argue that that is making art.
Texas Yarddog
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd argue that it's about having fun and playing something that makes you feel good either by yourself or with friends in a band.

I'd argue that that is making art.

And i'd argue that it is about making a buck. Unfortunately, right now, this **** sells albums.
Philo B 93
Florida Georgia Line is proof that the movie "Idiocracy" is happening.
BeefAg_00~
You people have no idea what good music is.
Kate Beckett
AG
My ex was obsessed with FGL. Said that was "real good music" and wanted to go to their concert. Broke up with him and so glad I never bought tickets.
BurnetAggie99
^
Kate smart move. Had a guy at one of our tailgate parties rather listen to FGL than Waylon Jennings. He won't be invited back.
Philo B 93
My neighbor told me he likes Florida Georgia Line better than Johnny Cash. I punched him in the face and told him to write a song about that.
AggieSouth06
Just to play devil's advocate (not that I am a fan of FGL)...

Doesn't complaining about lyrics and depth in popular country music seem... a little bit hypocritical?

I mean, I have my radio set on a country station about 75% of the time, and I think the lyrics are cringeworthy in almost every song I hear. I listen to it because it's generally upbeat and light.
tysker
AG
quote:
Redstone is hilarious.
Urban Ag
AG
Some of you act like this is some new phenomena.

My epiphany was driving along one day and hearing Tim McGraw proclaim "I had a bbq stain on my white t-shirt, she was killing me in that mini skirt" and I once and for all realized, with a few exceptions, this is total crap.
hurleyag
AG
quote:
My ex was obsessed with FGL. Said that was "real good music" and wanted to go to their concert. Broke up with him and so glad I never bought tickets.
I think I just fell for Kate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.