American Sniper Trailer

27,128 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Debt
SQXVI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone notice the timeline seemed screwed up in the movie?

When asked how old Kyle was in buds, Cooper answered 30, which was before 9/11 since he watched it happen live with his then-gf who he hadn't met until after he graduated bud/s. That would have made him born in 71 at the latest, but he was only 39 when he died 12 years later. Did anyone else catch that?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Can any military guys confirm that it's possible he could have been talking on the phone with his wife while out on missions? That part seemed very weird to me.

And the fake baby scene & the Hollywooding of the long shot at the end took away from the greatness a little bit IMO.
bbattbq01
AG
quote:
Can any military guys confirm that it's possible he could have been talking on the phone with his wife while out on missions? That part seemed very weird to me.

And the fake baby scene & the Hollywooding of the long shot at the end took away from the greatness a little bit IMO.

From what I've read after seeing the movie he did talk on the phone with her while on missions. I need to get the book.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Many Spec Ops guys are given Sat phones in addition to normal means of communication. They're supposed to use it for official purposes only, but they're given a large amount of leeway in that regard. Nature of the job.
marble rye
AG
I saw this movie in the state of WA, where I have lived for 2 years. Of course I was in awe of the story, but I wanted to scream, "That's right mother****ers bc in TX, we don't do sheep or wolves. We are all sheep dogs. We do everything bigger and better, like 167 kills. So shove that up your no plastic or styrofoam allowed, recycling-obsessed, passive protesting asses!"

I miss TX a little.
Macarthur
quote:
I saw this movie in the state of WA, where I have lived for 2 years. Of course I was in awe of the story, but I wanted to scream, "That's right mother****ers bc in TX, we don't do sheep or wolves. We are all sheep dogs. We do everything bigger and better, like 167 kills. So shove that up your no plastic or styrofoam allowed, recycling-obsessed, passive protesting asses!"

I miss TX a little.
Yeah, except not all of us from Texas are liars.
marble rye
AG
That's why movies are movies. They are mostly fiction or based on a true story...that moved me to remember why I love TX.

Mr.Bond
AG
Your shtick is getting old. We get it.
Aggie94
AG
SQXVI - yeah, my buddy mentioned that to me when we walked out of the theater last night. Wonder how that stayed in there.
meggy09
AG
quote:
Yeah, except not all of us from Texas are liars.
Mathguy64
AG
Jus walked out of a completely full theater. No one said a word. The only thing you could hear was sniffling and quiet sobbing.
wangus12
AG
Wow.

Went and saw it last night and I was absolutely amazed. Cooper gave the best performance I could have hoped for and I though the acting all around was excellent. I was shaking by the end of the film and the funeral procession. I've lost some friends over there and it hit home like a 100 lb hammer. In fact yesterday marked 8 years since my best friends brother was shot down in Iraq.

I have a close friend from high school who fought in Ramadi when Kyle was there. He said that the Overwatch guys were basically angels when they were going door to door. He also said everyone always talked about the Legend. He said they'd clear buildings and find dead insurgents in the upstairs near windows or on rooftops with single kill shots. Basically said most of the Marines he served with owe the snipers their lives.

Great movie. I think Cooper deserves to win for his performance.
CajunAg97
AG
Saw it here in California, was dead silent...then everyone clapped at the end. Then dead silence. Lots of crying.
pagerman @ work
AG
quote:

My issue with the talking with his wife stuff is the time difference. When I was there (civilian) I talked to my wife twice a day, and the time was basically opposite. I would call her around 7:30 in the morning in Iraq it was late (10:30 PM) in Houston. I would then call her around 9 PM at night in Iraq, it would be noon in Houston.

I haven't seen the movie (yet) but the ads indicate him on a mission (middle of the day in Iraq) and talking to his wife coming out of the doctors office (middle of day in the States). That would be very difficult to pull off timing wise.
Bird Poo
AG
Just watched. Excellent movie. This one and platoon are tops for me.

Based on a couple of comments on texags, I was expecting more anti war. The book certainly described the screwed up decision making by some of the military's leadership, but I thought the movie didn't really touch on much of that. It simply showed how screwed up Iraq is and how evil those Islamic facists really are. One scene absolutely stuck with me: Chris was explaining why he was so dedicated to the fight and he basically said we either kill them over there or they'll show up in San Diego or some other city again.

God Bless people like Chris.

PooDoo
AG
In an interview Bradley Copper said he & Eastwood made a point to not make it an anti war film but a character study.... I believe that was the phrase he used.
Macarthur
quote:
It simply showed how screwed up Iraq is and how evil those Islamic facists really are.

Who is the Islamic facists? Who is he killing in the movie?

quote:
One scene absolutely stuck with me: Chris was explaining why he was so dedicated to the fight and he basically said we either kill them over there or they'll show up in San Diego or some other city again.

I think this is a very shallow way of looking at this issue.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is where I think this can be harmful. The ME and especially Iraq is a very complicated issue. The view expressed above doesn't even begin to show a sober mature attitude about this 'war'.
Stive
AG
And yet tons of politicians have stated basicaly the same thing.

(For the record I agree with you, but Kyle is hardly the first person to have used/had that line of thought)
wangus12
AG
quote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is where I think this can be harmful. The ME and especially Iraq is a very complicated issue. The view expressed above doesn't even begin to show a sober mature attitude about this 'war'.
Complicated in the fact that they've been fighting in that part of the world for more than a millennium and still haven't figured it out.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is where I think this can be harmful.
Harmful to whom?
Worm01
AG
quote:
quote:
I haven't seen the movie yet.

That's all you had to say. You could have stopped there.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
Harmful to whom?
It perpetuates the above statement that I referrenced that tries to paint this conflict is easy black in white terms. The enemy over there is very difficult to discern and knowing who the good guys and bad guys are is not like it has been in past conflicts.
lazuras_dc
AG
This was pretty interesting http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/american-sniper/
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Harmful to whom?
It perpetuates the above statement that I referrenced that tries to paint this conflict is easy black in white terms. The enemy over there is very difficult to discern and knowing who the good guys and bad guys are is not like it has been in past conflicts.
How is that "harmful?" They presented Chris Kyle's view - right or wrong - because the movie was about him, not about the Iraq war. You may view his reasoning as simplistic and dangerous, but I highly doubt that theaters are packed with people who's attitudes about the war are going to be somehow changed and are going to adopt Kyle's view.

Without going into spoilers, the movie does address his view of the war, the conflict in general, and how he compartmentalizes all of that in an effort to focus on his job and making it through.

And this movie is far from "black and white."
Worm01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Harmful to whom?
Go see the movie.
Worm01
AG
I mean, how ridiculous is it to be posting on every related thread about the content and interpretation of a movie that you haven't seen? Really? I can't believe this even has to be said.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Harmful to whom?
How is that "harmful?" They presented Chris Kyle's view - right or wrong - because the movie was about him, not about the Iraq war. You may view his reasoning as simplistic and dangerous, but I highly doubt that theaters are packed with people who's attitudes about the war are going to be somehow changed and are going to adopt Kyle's view.

Without going into spoilers, the movie does address his view of the war, the conflict in general, and how he compartmentalizes all of that in an effort to focus on his job and making it through.

And this movie is far from "black and white."
Good. I'm glad that it does that.

I wish someone would ask Eastwood why do this:

Did Chris Kyle really shoot a boy who was concealing a grenade?No. In the movie, Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) shoots a boy and his mother
who are approaching a U.S. Marine convoy concealing an RKG-3 Russian
Anti-Tank Grenade. In the book, a woman does come out of a small house
with her child, but she approaches the convoy by herself as she conceals
something beneath her clothes. She sets a Chinese grenade, not a
Russian RKG. Kyle hesitates shooting the woman but does take the shot.
The grenade drops and he fires again as it's exploding. It was "the only
time I killed anyone other than a male combatant," writes Kyle. In the
book, he indicates that this is his first kill in Iraq.

In his autobiography, Chris Kyle does scope a child at one point. The moment is
also depicted in the movie. The combatants had sent the child down the
street to retrieve an RPG (in the movie, a nearby boy simply wanders
over and picks up the RPG). "I had a clear view in my scope," writes
Kyle, "but I didn't fire. I wasn't going to kill a kid, innocent or not.
I'd have to wait until the savage who put him up to it showed himself
on the street."
Macarthur
quote:
I mean, how ridiculous is it to be posting on every related thread about the content and interpretation of a movie that you haven't seen? Really? I can't believe this even has to be said.
I can talk about it if I want to. And I've always made caveats and my posts have been more about the bigger picture of this thing than just the movie.

Chill.
Worm01
AG
quote:
quote:
I can talk about it if I want to. And I've always made caveats and my posts have been more about the bigger picture of this thing than just the movie.

Chill.
But you're talking about a subject where you don't have the full picture. Like taking issue with Kyle's quote above, the context with which it is said in the movie is different than reading about it in an article or on a message board. You are interpreting context based on what other people are saying about it, while condemning people for not being open minded. Having not seen the movie, I understand now why you might have thought that article you posted in the other thread was relevant. It's not, but the only way to know that is to have SEEN THE MOVIE. You went as far as to argue that I was the one being obtuse and not allowing for other's opinions when I was trying to explain why that article was irrelevant, all while you had absolutely no way of knowing who was right. You assumed I was wrong and called me out on it without ANY personal knowledge of the topic. So, no I won't chill. Go watch the movie or STFU.

And if you want to talk about the bigger picture of the war, fine but take it to the politics board. These threads are about A MOVIE. One that you haven't even seen.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

Chill.
But you're talking about a subject where you don't have the full picture. Like taking issue with Kyle's quote above, the context with which it is said in the movie is different than reading about it in an article or on a message board. You are interpreting context based on what other people are saying about it, while condemning people for not being open minded. Having not seen the movie, I understand now why you might have thought that article you posted in the other thread was relevant. It's not, but the only way to know that is to have SEEN THE MOVIE. You went as far as to argue that I was the one being obtuse and not allowing for other's opinions when I was trying to explain why that article was irrelevant, all while you had absolutely no way of knowing who was right. You assumed I was wrong and called me out on it without ANY personal knowledge of the topic. So, no I won't chill. Go watch the movie or STFU.

And if you want to talk about the bigger picture of the war, fine but take it to the politics board. These threads are about A MOVIE. One that you haven't even seen.
Fair enough, but there's about 15 diff threads on the various boards about this so it can get confusing as to which thread we're all on.

Even not seeing the movie, I still think it's fair to ask why a movie based on a real guy who wrote a book on his experience would add in that he shot a child when he didn't do that. I think it's fair to wonder why that was added to the movie.
TXAGFAN
AG
It's a movie. Some of you must be some miserable ****s if you can't just be entertained and recognize that it's an adaptation of real life.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
Quote:
One scene absolutely stuck with me: Chris was explaining why he was so dedicated to the fight and he basically said we either kill them over there or they'll show up in San Diego or some other city again.

Ever consider it is your view that lacks maturity? When I heard that line in the movie it told me about what motivates him to go out and do a job only a few can do. It seems to me that judging him on what his motivation is, given the magnitude of his role, is very hypocritical.
'03ag
quote:
quote:
Quote:

Ever consider it is your view that lacks maturity? When I heard that line in the movie it told me about what motivates him to go out and do a job only a few can do. It seems to me that judging him on what his motivation is, given the magnitude of his role, is very hypocritical.
of course not
The Debt
"The fight against jihadists can never come to america" - any given new yorker, sept 10th, 2001
wangus12
AG
quote:
It's a movie. Some of you must be some miserable ****s if you can't just be entertained and recognize that it's an adaptation of real life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.