Books read in 2014

34,602 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDC
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It was a little long, but I love Irving's work.

Currently reading Allegiant (the last of the Divergent series). Not liking the switching between points of view, but other than that it is on par with the rest of the series.
atag
AG
Read a few silly fictions but just finished the first two of the ms. Peregrines home for unusual children. ....really interesting read....A-
Frok
AG
Just started the 4th book of the Dark Tower series, "Wizards and Glass".
wreckt01
Audiobooks
1) Blade Runner/Do Androids dream of electric sheep: Phillip Dick - B
2) Side Jobs: Jim Butcher- A

Paperbacks
1) The Forever War: Joe Halderman - B
2) Inferno: Dan Brown - D

3) The Eye of the World - Jordan B+: Finally broke down and decided to try the WOT series. First book was interesting and the character development was deep enough to remain interesting through all 800+ pages. Not much humor, but the epic scale of the story that has been set-up make me want to continue.

4)The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom - A: I read this at my wife request. True story of the anti-nazi underground, and the faith of those involved.

5) Chasm City - Reynolds: A: Set in the Revelation Space Universe. One of my favorite of the all his books.

Currently reading

Hyperion: Dan Simmons
wreckt01
Double Post

[This message has been edited by wreckt01 (edited 3/7/2014 9:50a).]
wreckt01
triple post

[This message has been edited by wreckt01 (edited 3/7/2014 9:50a).]
AgDC
quote:
Currently reading Allegiant (the last of the Divergent series). Not liking the switching between points of view

My biggest issue with that was the fact that I couldn't always tell a difference between them. Many times I had to go back and look to make sure I knew who was speaking.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Just finished No Easy Day, the First Hand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden: A-

Better than American Sniper but not as good as Lone Survivor.
aggiemonocle
Finished:
Inferno by Dan Brown
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Currently Reading:
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

[This message has been edited by aggiemonocle (edited 3/10/2014 3:15p).]
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Hey I just started Gates of Fire last night. I'm only 40 pages in but I can tell it's going to be a good one.
Dill-Ag13
AG
1) Inheritance - Paolini
2) Vanished - Gansky

Reading
-Zombie Fallout - Tufo
-Peace - Nesbit
agmatt06
AG
Finished WOT Book 5. Book was definitely slow, and I know I skimmed through several of the stories. I really don't care to know every detail about Nynaeve or Elayne. Even Perrin's story while cool isn't a huge deal on the series yet.

I was reading on wikipedia, that the series was originally supposed to be 6 books, but turned into 14. I think I see why..just so much filler.
AgDC
You are definitely entering what I found to be the tough part of the series. The good thing is that there is a lot of filler which makes skimming easy.

[This message has been edited by AgDC (edited 3/13/2014 9:14a).]
schmendeler
AG
nearing the end of book 6. it's not exactly action-packed, but i haven't skipped anything yet. i still think it's interesting.
AgDC
1-3)Wheel of Time books 12-14
4)The Paris Wife -- it's written from the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley. Takes place mostly before he became very successful/famous. Pretty interesting reading.
5-7) Divergent series -- First two books were quick but interesting reads. The 3rd book (Allegiant) was a disappointment. Managed to be both convoluted and simplistic with an unsatisfying ending that didn't feel earned.
9-11) Mistborn series -- Read this series because I kept seeing it mentioned here and I had enjoyed the last few books in the WoT series that Sanderson had written. Really liked this one. Did a good job of building a fully realized world without getting bogged down in useless details.

Still working my way through the Gates book. It's a hardback so i don't carry it around with me which means i have less opportunities to read it.

[This message has been edited by AgDC (edited 3/23/2014 5:51a).]
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Just finished Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield.

It started out slow but by a quarter of the way through it became something couldn't put down. The character development and plot twists keep you on your toes.

9/10 A-
agmatt06
AG
Just ground through WOT book 6.

It's sad. There is some great stuff that happens, but it just seems to get overshadowed by how wordy the books are.

On to book 7.
jkag89
Books finished in January:
1) The Great Santini by Pat Conroy A-
2) Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember by John Feinstein C+

Books finished in February:
3) Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis B-
4) Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand A
5) The Master Mind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B-

Books finished in March
6) A Fighting Man of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B
7) Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff B

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 4/2/2014 12:30a).]
GinaLinetti
AG
All I read is trashy romance with a few crime novels thrown in. Need a good fast paced thriller.
jlb2957
AG
Blood Song - Anthony Ryan A+

Mistborn - Sanderson A

Enjoyed Mistborn. Looking forward to the rest of the series. Will start today when I get home from work.
Hudson2508
AG
The Gunslinger - Stephen King B+
Dune - Frank Herbert B
Dune Messiah Herbert B-
The Way of Kings - Sanderson A+
Words of Radiance - Sanderson A+

Absolutely loved Sanderson's books. Now I have to wait dammit.

Dune really wasn't for me.

Looking forward to hopping back on the Dark Tower series next.
AgDC
Just finished the Book Thief. Very good read. Death as the narrator of a story about WW 2 was really intriguing. Highly recommend it.

Trying to figure out what to read next.
agfan2013
AG
Just finished, With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. A really excellent book that shows what our soldiers went through during the Pacific Theater of Operations. Highly recommend it if you enjoy war/history books. They used this and Helmet for my Pillow as the foundation for the HBO miniseries, The Pacific, a few years back which is also excellent and I would recommend. Not sure what I'll pick up next.
Natasha Romanoff
Finished The Night Circus and The Headmaster's Wager. Night circus was okay, a little tough to follow. HW was okay also. The premise was interesting and I enjoyed the Vietnamese history, but the main character just was terrible. He drew no sympathy from me and his ignorance was frustrating.

I'm searching for a really good book. I recently reread Ender's Game which is one of my favorites, and every other book has just been blah, at least those I've recently tried to read.

1) Ender's Game - A+ one if my favorites and I reread it before watching the movie
2) The Night Circus - B was tough to follow and a little predictable, but not terrible
3) The Headmaster's Wager - C+ had the feel of a romance novel (not a good one) with a backdrop of Vietnamese history between the 50s and late 60s, which was the only redeeming quality to me. The main character was just awful; some cite this as a positive but it wasn't to me.

[This message has been edited by Natasha Romanoff (edited 4/6/2014 7:35a).]
agmatt06
AG
WOT Book 7 - Meh

About halfway through Book 8. Reviews on this weren't great, though I think it is better than 7.

When does this series pick up again?
AgDC
About book 11.
nai06
AG
Late to the party this year, but here is where Im at

Pacific Vortex-Clive Cussler B+
Same Kind of Different as me-Ron Hall C+
Side Effects May Vary-Julie Murphy A+
Divergent-Veronica Roth A

Currently Reading:
Insurgent-Veronica Roth
Noggin-John Corey Whaley
Blink-Malcolm Gladwell
Frok
AG
quote:
Looking forward to hopping back on the Dark Tower series next.

I just completed Wizards and Glass (Dark Tower IV). I really enjoyed this one.
MW03
AG
Just finished "Monster Hunter Alpha" by Larry Correia on audio book. It gets a solid B+, 4/5 stars, whatever.

It's book 3 in his "Monster Hunter International" series. I've written before that this series is basically an action movie in the written word, and I've yet to be disappointed. The series summed up in a sentence or two: Monsters are real, and we have to fight them with guns. Lots of guns.

This is a terribly easy listen, and a wonderful performance by the production team. I found myself extending my time in the car and doing chores to finish an extra chapter.

Highly recommend for anyone interested in a fast read with lots of action and a good bit of humor. These books would make an excellent Bruce Campbell series.
schmendeler
AG
finished books 6 & 7 and now about 2/3 of the way through book 8.
AgDC
Just finished Gone Girl. I'd give it a review but I have no idea what I think about it.

My full list:
1-3)Wheel of Time books 12-14
4)The Paris Wife -- it's written from the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley. Takes place mostly before he became very successful/famous. Pretty interesting reading.
5-7) Divergent series -- First two books were quick but interesting reads. The 3rd book (Allegiant) was a disappointment. Managed to be both convoluted and simplistic with an unsatisfying ending that didn't feel earned.
8-10) Mistborn series -- Read this series because I kept seeing it mentioned here and I had enjoyed the last few books in the WoT series that Sanderson had written. Really liked this one. Did a good job of building a fully realized world without getting bogged down in useless details.
11) The Book Thief -- Very good read. Death as the narrator of a story about WW 2 was really intriguing. Highly recommend it.
12) Gone Girl

Has anyone read Rooftops of Tehran?

[This message has been edited by AgDC (edited 4/18/2014 11:23a).]
agmatt06
AG
WOT book 9 done. On to book 10 which from reading the reviews is not going to be that good and is long. Blah.
Frok
AG
I'm currently reading Scorecasting by Moskowitz and Wortheim. This is a very interesting read if you are in to sports like I am.
nai06
AG
Scorecasting is a great book
Ashley96
AG
I finished "The Way West" by AB Guthrie, Jr. last night and plan to start on Conrad Richter's "The Town" tonight.

I made a goal of 12 books to read this year, and I'm right on track. I wish I had more time to read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.