Books read in 2014

34,601 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDC
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can recite "Oh the places you'll go" by memory now.
bangobango
AG
can everybody please star Human's post for post of the day?
bushytailed
AG
Just finished book three of the Song of Fire and Ice series (GoT). The first three books have been read since July. I don't remember what I read before that though.
jkag89
Books finished in January:
1) The Great Santini by Pat Conroy A-
2) Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember by John Feinstein C+

Books finished in February:
3) Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis B-
4) Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand A
5) The Master Mind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B-

Books finished in March
6) A Fighting Man of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B
7) Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff B

Books finished in April
8) City of Thieves by David Benioff A
9) The Story of a Soul by Thrse of Lisieux A
10) Spin by Robert Charles Wilson A-

Books finished in May
11) Axis by Robert Charles Wilson C+
12) Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson B-
13) The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt A-

Books finished in June
14) The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbac B
15) Swords of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs C

Books finished in July
16) Synthetic Men of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B-
17) Llana of Gathol by Edgar Rice Burroughs B+
18) John Carter of Mars: A Collection
  • "John Carter and the Giant of Mars" by John Coleman Burroughs D-
  • "Skeleton Men of Jupiter" by Edgar Rice Burroughs C (Solid story but Incomplete)

19) With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge A
20) The Redheaded Outfield and Other Baseball Stories by Zane Grey B-
21) Twelve Years a Slave - Enhanced Edition by Solomon Northup B

Books finished in August
22) The Young Pitcher by Zane Grey B
23) The Black Madonna by Davis Bunn B
24) This Ain't Brain Surgery: How to Win the Pennant Without Losing Your Mind by Larry Dierker A-

Books finished in September
25) The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman A-
26) Out of My League: The Classic Hilarious Account of an Amateur's Ordeal in Professional Baseball by George Plimpton A-

Book finished in October
27) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco B- (Interesting story but a difficult read)

Books finished in November
28) The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Ptzsch B+
29) The Dark Monk by Oliver Ptzsch B+

Books finished in December
30) Julian: A Christmas Story by Robert Charles Wilson B-
31) The Moviegoer by Walker Percy A-

Best:
Fiction - City of Thieves by David Benioff
Non-fiction - Unbroken by by Laura Hillenbrand

Most disappointing:
Fiction - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Non-fiction - Living on the Black by John Feinstein
AgDC
1-3)Wheel of Time books 12-14
4)The Paris Wife -- it's written from the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley. Takes place mostly before he became very successful/famous. Pretty interesting reading.
5-7) Divergent series -- First two books were quick but interesting reads. The 3rd book (Allegiant) was a disappointment. Managed to be both convoluted and simplistic with an unsatisfying ending that didn't feel earned.
8-10) Mistborn series -- Read this series because I kept seeing it mentioned here and I had enjoyed the last few books in the WoT series that Sanderson had written. Really liked this one. Did a good job of building a fully realized world without getting bogged down in useless details.
11) The Book Thief -- Very good read. Death as the narrator of a story about WW 2 was really intriguing. Highly recommend it.
12) Gone Girl Have no clue how I feel about this book.
13) The Queens Fool by Philippa Gregory. I give it a B.
14) Roof Tops of Tehran -- I'd give it a B. Story didn't go where I thought it would and felt a bit unfinished. Interesting perspective of a teenage boy in Iran in the 70's.
15-17) Maze Runner series by Dashner. Give it a B+ Not as good as Hunger Games but maybe on par with Divergent. It was definitely a page turner in that it kept me reading and interested to find out what comes next. And it didn't shy away from having characters suffer real consequences including death. It also
brought up some interesting moral dilemmas to contemplate. But it felt a little incomplete and not fully formed in a few places. One key story point in particular was never fully fleshed out or explored and it really felt like a big gaping hole in the series. But I would recommend it as the story itself is
pretty interesting, particularly if you like post-apocalyptic/zombie type stories. I think it will make a really good movie and do plan to see it (them).
18) Hangman's Daughter -- I enjoyed this well enough but don't think I'll continue the series. It didn't grab me enough to make me want to read it more than the other books on my "to read list"
19) Killing Jesus
20-23) First four books of the Codex Alera series. Still enjoying this one a lot.
24) 1776 Give an A. I really like the way McCullough writes history.
25) Fifth book of the Codex Alera series
26) Frankenstein
27) War of the Worlds
28) Brave New World
29) Percy Jackson, Lightning Thief
30) Another re- read of To Kill a Mockingbird
31)I, Robot
32) East, by Edith Pattou
33) Sabriel, by Garth Nix
34) Solaris
35) Merchant of Venice
36) A Midsummer Night's Dream
37) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Phillip K Dick
38) I Henry IV
39) Henry V
40) Nova, by Samuel Delany
41) The Outsiders -- I love the movie but had never read the book. Highly
recommend it. It's hard to believe Hinton was 16 when she wrote it.
42) Hamlet
43) Neuromancer, by William Gibson One of the original Cyberpunknovels. Interesting mainly because Gibson wrote this in the 80's before the internet, cars that talk to you, etc. but created a world that seems very much like our present and/or not too future.
44) Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula Le Guin I wouldn't bother withthis one.
45) The Giver I'm not sure I like this one as much as others butI still plan to read the rest of the books in the series.
46) The Battle of Jericho
47) A Year Down Under Really loved this little book about ayoung girl living with her Grandma for a year in a post- Depression era rural
town in Indiana. Grandma Dowdel is anawesome character.
48) under the mesquite Another quick read that was very good. It's a story about a youngMexican American girl who is the oldest of 8 children trying to figure out who she is (Mexican? American? Both?), hold her family together, and discover her path in life.
49) Macbeth
50) The Windup Girl,by Paolo Bacigalupi. Pretty good read. Story about what happens if petroleum is replaced as the main commodity driving the global economy. While the backdrop/set up is a major environmentalcatastrophe, I didn't find the story itself to be overtly environmentalist andI tend to be sensitive/resistant to that kind of stuff.
51) Sixth and last book of the Codex Alera series. Really enjoyed these books and look forward to reading more of his stuff.
52 & 53) 2nd and 3rd Percy Jackson books

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.