Confederate flag still up at SC house.

32,032 Views | 354 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:

Lots of pressure being brought to bear on retailers (links above), and the HOA is interesting.......

People are most certainly allowed to bring pressure upon commercial entities if they don't agree with the actions that business is taking.

That's part of business. People can protest you until their heart is content. It's up to the business to handle it.
Sure, but why is it any of their business what someone sells or buys? Just don't buy it.
chipotle
The witch hunt continues:

http://gizmodo.com/now-lets-take-down-the-confederate-flag-that-flies-over-1713233481
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Wtf did Mississippi do? They didn't shoot up any black churches.
Claude!
quote:
Wtf did Mississippi do? They didn't shoot up any black churches.

They don't like Medger Evers.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lots of pressure being brought to bear on retailers (links above), and the HOA is interesting.......

People are most certainly allowed to bring pressure upon commercial entities if they don't agree with the actions that business is taking.

That's part of business. People can protest you until their heart is content. It's up to the business to handle it.
Sure, but why is it any of their business what someone sells or buys? Just don't buy it.
It is as much their business as it is yours to ignore them selling it. Part of living in this country.

Please remind me when you called out the people wanting the Dixie Chicks off the radio.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because the business might be operating in a city they live, or a country they live in and they don't agree with their decisions...

I mean, this is a basic building block of a free market (or mixed) economy. Freedom of choice and competition.
TexasRebel
AG
My popular opinion says your all morans.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Wade will be the chief of the thought police. He, alone, will determine what is acceptable for all of us to think and believe. Thank the gods. Between Wade and Jake, we will all be okey dokey.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Thanks, Fonzie, but I don't want the job
Red McCombs
Good progressive liberals like Wade will raise awareness and ice bucket challenge away all of society's ills.
EVA3
AG
quote:
I look at it more as a ***k you to the centralized government. I still say ***k you to the centralized/federal government. Which in my mind is what the battle flag is all about.

Yeah it was slavery and all and that's bad but what if the issue was guns rights or abortion? Then today we'd be all "can you believe those barbarians had guns...killed babies?!"

QFT. The centralized/federal government we have now is not what is provided for in the U.S. Constitution. That's why the southern states seceded.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
Good progressive liberals like Wade will raise awareness and ice bucket challenge away all of society's ills.
C- on effort.

You can do better. Go ahead and try again kiddo.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
Wade will be the chief of the thought police. He, alone, will determine what is acceptable for all of us to think and believe. Thank the gods. Between Wade and Jake, we will all be okey dokey.
You know it was a conservative that was saying we should control which companies citizens can protest...but yes, I am the thought police for saying private citizens have the right to protest any company they want.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
quote:
You know it was a conservative that was saying we should control which companies citizens can protest...but yes, I am the thought police for saying private citizens have the right to protest any company they want.

You have posted from the very beginning as of your position was the champion of thought; ergo, you are the chief of the thought police. It has nothing to do with protesting companies. It has to do with which symbols MUST go.
TexasRebel
AG
It'll be interesting to see what happens when these idiots get a glimpse of the flag of Balen.

...or Ewigkiland
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You have posted from the very beginning as of your position was the champion of thought; ergo, you are the chief of the thought police. It has nothing to do with protesting companies. It has to do with which symbols MUST go.
Link to me saying the flag "must go"
Wade_3
AG
quote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens when these idiots get a glimpse of the flag of Balen.
What do the Iron born have to do with the confederacy? They didn't support the north or the south!

Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not what I said, Chief. I merely posited that you have been of the position that your line of thinking was superior to everyone here. Your arrogance is off-putting, to say the least.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
It has to do with which symbols MUST go.

Not what I said, Chief. I merely posited that you have been of the position that your line of thinking was superior to everyone here. Your arrogance is off-putting, to say the least.
So the first part is what you said...

When did I ever say any symbol MUST go?

You keep changing what you are offended by. Once you make up your mind I will happily engage in a discussion with you about it, but right now its very difficult to even understand what your issue is.
Grits
AG
If we get rid of everything that everyone considers offensive, there won't be anything left to talk about...and the ZOO would vanish altogether.

So stick your virtue button on your sleeve, cry me a river, build a got dern bridge, and get the **** over it; surely there are better topics to discuss? football is only 70ish days away.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Saddens me how many Ags would support keeping the rebel flag up.

After all the crap we give t.u. about bleach bombs.

And I identify as conservative. If you can't see how this goes beyond simple right/left partisanship, that's also sad.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:

It saddens me that any Ags want to tell others (non-employee) what to do.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

It saddens me that any Ags want to tell others (non-employee) what to do.
I'm not telling anyone what to do. Nor will I be involved in any decision-making process for SC or any other southern state that clings to this thing for whatever excuse they can come up with.

I am expressing my displeasure that there are those who would support the continued display of a banner that has stood for little but divisiveness and inequality.
chipotle
I'm not supporting the rebel flag I'm supporting another states right to do whatever the ***k they want by not bowing down to external popular...sorry, not necessarily popular just more vocal opinion.
riverrataggie
AG
I like Charleston. It's a cool city. reminds me of a cleaner New Orleans.
TexasRebel
AG
Damn straight!

Maybe we should no longer allow divorce until people figure out that the whole country does not have the same needs, desires, goals, or will.
tbirdspur2010
AG
The "state's right" thing is a cop out.

Just say you support the flag and be done with it lol.

What SC or any other state does won't alter my life as a Texan.

But I damn sure will speak out against their druthers if they don't jive with my own if/when those issues arise.
TexasRebel
AG
Are you one of those spoonfeds that believe the war started over slavery?
chipotle
quote:

LOL has no argument.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
Are you one of those apologists who believes slavery had nothing to do with it?
bagger05
AG
quote:

While I agree that technically you are correct (the war was about secession, not slavery), certainly you acknowledge that slavery was far and away the biggest issue that drove the southern states to secede, right?

So it was one degree of separation away from what the immediate cause of the war was.

Started over slavery: inaccurate
Was about slavery: pretty much
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

LOL has no argument.
An opinion is not an argument.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Spoonfed straight from the Declarations of Causes of Secession passed by the various seceding states.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that slavery was the sole cause for the war. The root cause of almost any conflict in world history is money and/or religion. Then proceeds an amalgamation of other factors that drive disagreeing parties to arms. One side asserting that slavery was the only cause of the war is just as incorrect as the other asserting that slavery had nothing to do with the conflict. Both positions are preposterous.

I defy you, however, to assert that the slave issue was not a significant fissure, especially given Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens' "Corner Stone" Speech in 1861. Excerpts of which include such gems as:

quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

quote:
anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.

quote:
It is upon this, as I have stated, our social fabric is firmly planted; and I cannot permit myself to doubt the ultimate success of a full recognition of this principle throughout the civilized and enlightened world.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't think you're supposed to call them "spoonfeds" anymore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.