Confederate flag still up at SC house.

31,788 Views | 354 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're looking for a reason to leave... Yes

Maybe, if cheating is an automatic divorce, you didn't love the person.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Funny/Unfunny

Fix every state flag
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2015/06/23/every-state-flag-is-wrong-and-here-is-why/

That was incredible.
chipotle
quote:
Just say you support the flag and be done with it lol.

Look at me everyone! I'm a racist.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Maybe, if cheating is an automatic divorce, you didn't love the person.

Or maybe it just means you have enough self respect to realize that the person you love is a cheating ***** who no longer loves or respects you enough to not **** her coworkers at lunch.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
TexasRebel
AG
No longer?

...or never did?
Grits
AG
quote:
Why do people argue so vehemently over what is essentially splitting hairs?

If slavery had never existed, there would not have been a civil war. This whole thing smacks of, "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

If the south had never seceded would we still have slavery?

If your answer can be yes, than so can mine... the point really being...who the **** really cares when you can't even have an honest conversation about any of this anyway...we have people who can't even figure out what to call other people out of fear of being stigmatized in some way...this debate will continue to be a money maker for race baiters for decades to come...
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
Just say you support the flag and be done with it lol.

Look at me everyone! I'm a racist.
Never called you that.

Man some of y'all are obtuse lol.
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:

tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

Well played!
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
Why do people argue so vehemently over what is essentially splitting hairs?

If slavery had never existed, there would not have been a civil war. This whole thing smacks of, "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

If the south had never seceded would we still have slavery?

If your answer can be yes, than so can mine... the point really being...who the **** really cares when you can't even have an honest conversation about any of this anyway...we have people who can't even figure out what to call other people out of fear of being stigmatized in some way...this debate will continue to be a money maker for race baiters for decades to come...
Actually, no, we would not have slavery.

http://listverse.com/2010/12/06/10-surprising-facts-about-the-confederacy/

No primary (or secondary) sources to back this article up, so take that into consideration when reading it. Either way, slavery would have been gone in probably 20-25 years after 1861.
bagger05
AG
@TexasRebel

We used to do root cause analysis all the time in the Air Force and trust me, there's always a root cause for the root cause. And there's a root cause for that. And a root cause for the root cause of the root cause's root cause. Before long the root cause for a satellite command not being sent out is that Eve decided to take the apple from the snake.

Why'd you get divorced?
- Didn't want to be part of the marriage anymore

Why not?
- She was banging some guy from work

Why was she banging him?
- Because she didn't feel appreciated

Why didn't she feel appreciated?
- I was working too much

Why were you working too much?
- Money was tight and I took a second job

Why was money tight?
- The economy got bad and I got laid off

Why was the economy bad?
- George W Bush

So clearly, the reason for the divorce wasn't that she was banging some other dude. Like all other problems, this divorce is George W. Bush's fault.

We can go through the same exercise for the Civil War if it makes you feel better (I'm sure we could find a way to blame that on Bush as well). But if you go through this and examine all the causes of the Civil War, go two or three layers deep and slavery shows up on about every single one of these things.

Yes, the immediate cause of the war was secession, not slavery. BUT THEY SECEDED BECAUSE OF SLAVERY. They said so themselves. Maybe if slavery didn't exist they would have seceded because of something else but we don't know that. What we do know, according to the seceding states themselves, is that they seceded because of slavery. If you want to get into "what the definition of is is" and dispute whether it was the cause or the tipping point or the chief factor or whatever then that is fine. Up to now, though, be aware that you sound like one of those people who say "It had nothing to do with slavery."

I have no idea whether you actually MEAN it that way, but that's how it is coming across (at least to me).
tbirdspur2010
AG
USAF here as well (well, for 3 more days at least lol).
bagger05
AG
Then I'm sure you know all about root cause analysis. That crap was tiresome.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
Then I'm sure you know all about root cause analysis. That crap was tiresome.
Were you on staff? It sounds like my daily grind.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
The emancipation in 1863 did not free any slave in the 4 slave states not in rebellion. If you were a slave in Kentucky during the emancipation you remained a slave. So for the ENTIRE war as the rebel battle flag flew, slaves in 4 non-confederate states remained slaves. Should we ban the USA flag?
chipotle
quote:
Should we ban the USA flag?

No since the KKK didn't really use it in rallies and such....omg wtf!!

bagger05
AG
No, my unit was standing up a weapons and tactics shop (keep in mind I was a satellite guy) and somehow the commander (who was a weapons school grad) convinced herself that we needed these guys to come in after every single training session and do root cause analysis on every single error that was observed during the scenario. Not unimportant, but sometimes a mistake is just a mistake.

Funny because the root cause of why the training errors went way down is because the training staff was overlooking a bunch of stuff to avoid the brutal after-action session to go over root cause analysis of why someone said echo instead of charlie. Much easier to just gloss over it than suffer through that stuff on little mistakes.
Tex117
AG
I honestly do not understand why in 2015 it is still up.

The flag to some people is a symbol of heritage and history. The flag to the majority of other people is a symbol of hate and slavery.

Regardless of the intent of thsoe who believe that the flag is heritage, the flags meaning (as most symbols are) given meaning by the people who believe in them. Since most people believe that the flag means hate, then the flag means hate.

I do believe it is up to SC to make the call whether they want to fly the flag of hate or not.

And obviously, if an individual wants to fly it, then they are more than welcome. But for a state in 2015, come on now.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
The emancipation in 1863 did not free any slave in the 4 slave states not in rebellion. If you were a slave in Kentucky during the emancipation you remained a slave. So for the ENTIRE war as the rebel battle flag flew, slaves in 4 non-confederate states remained slaves. Should we ban the USA flag?
I have to think that when you try to use this line of logic you don't really want to have an honest conversation.

If you wanted to be honest you would then add on, "the US flag also represents a country that freed the slaves throughout a constitutional amendment".

Can you point me to the same statement in the CSA constitution?
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
The CSA constitution, when it existed, allowed slavery just like the United States did. Apples to Apples.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
"Since most people believe that the flag means hate, then the flag means hate."
Third grade logic? And you were doing so well.

FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I am deeply disturbed to find out that so many Aggies hate black people and are literally Nazis.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
The CSA constitution, when it existed, allowed slavery just like the United States did. Apples to Apples.
And then the US Constitution banned it.

You know how I know you are just trying to be obtuse?
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:

CSA constitution never got the opportunity to ban it.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm sure the csa would have killed off their economic lifeline and what their entire social structure was based on.
TexasRebel
AG
Yep. The Chinese and the Irish threw bodies at them until they surrendered.
TexasRebel
AG
Do you know what the Industrial Revolution was?

Do you think it wouldn't have happened if the CSA continued to exist?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
I'm sure the csa would have killed off their economic lifeline and what their entire social structure was based on.

Oh yeah, they would definitely still have slaves to this day if Abe hadn't freed them.
FroggieBreath
Cat, we know you majored in physics and are like a genius but you need more emotion in your logic.

It feels bad man. I don't like the vibes and I'm going to go with the crowd and say the south was pure evil and the north innocent and pure and without fault. The south wanted a divorce and the north acted like a stalker. I get it. "You're not going to leave me bit@@!. If I can't have you nobody can have you."

Last week a neighbor was packing to move but the Home Owners' Association confronted them. "You're not leaving."
Ryan34
AG
I heard that some were protesting to have Jefferson Davis' statue removed from tu's campus because he was the President of the CSA. What say this thread?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Sul Ross was in the KKK maybe.
TexasRebel
AG
E King Gill was white.
chipotle
quote:
I heard that some were protesting to have Jefferson Davis' statue removed from tu's campus because he was the President of the CSA. What say this thread?

Who the hell is Jefferson Davis?

/most sip students
Ryan34
AG
quote:
Sul Ross was in the KKK maybe.

The Ross Volunteers' uniforms have quite a few similarities to the KKK as well.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

CSA constitution never got the opportunity to ban it.
Part of the point I was trying to get at. The CSA will forever be linked with slavery and it is dishonest to try and do the same thing with the US.

The reason the confederate flags (as opposed to US flags) are tied to racist groups is because of the fact that the CSA is tied to slavery (and made no attempts to change that tie).

The US, on the other-hand, did have slavery and then got rid of it...de-linking itself to slavery. That is why the argument that I previously quoted is dishonest.

It is scary that I have to explain this to college students/graduates.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.