Prayer vigil for Blue Bell ... Come and take it?

15,980 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by superunknown
rhoswen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't really get the message here...are people not wanting to give up their bluebell even with the health concerns? That's pretty damn ignorant. It's not going away forever, they're just getting everything sanitized then will be back at it.

This. I don't really understand this whole "I stand with Blue Bell" stuff. Stand up with them against what? Government tyranny? Microscopic bacteria?
PrincessButtercup
AG
It has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with supporting the company and those out of work as they've initiated deep cleanings and trainings. Brenham is Blue Bell. If the company suffers, the town does as well. No one thinks Blue Bell is being slandered or unfairly labeled "unsafe." Obviously there is a problem and they are fixing it.
rhoswen
AG
They're gonna be out what, three weeks? Are they losing their jobs?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
So, a large small-town employer with a much-loved history in this state hits some very difficult times and the residents of this small town gather together to pray for the company's well-being and this hits some of you in a political context? You're ****ing pathetic.
BQ08
AG
quote:

Maybe not losing jobs, but I'd imagine losing over 3 weeks worth of stock, inventory and having to shut down and halt production can put a strain on a business.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:

I think the issue is with uncertainty. No one knows for sure what is happening. And those I've known growing up who work there are often times from very modest backgrounds. Even three weeks is a big deal.

I'm with you, Fonzie. I do not get why people can't understand this isn't about not having ice cream or "praying for ice cream." It's about supporting the largest employer of residents in our small town.
45-70Ag
AG
Because it's easier to belittle something they don't understand.

And the tea party reference was as dumb as the come and take it sign from blue bell.
Noble07
AG
quote:
This. I don't really understand this whole "I stand with Blue Bell" stuff. Stand up with them against what? Government tyranny? Microscopic bacteria?

A lot of people are looking forward to supporting Blue Bell when their products hit stores again. There is a decent chance that Blue Bell could go out of business...it's happened before to food companies that have faced problems with listeria.

GarlandAg2012
AG
I totally understand rallying to support the biggest employer in town. I too will probably go out of my way to buy Blue Bell after its on shelves again. I just think the come and take it sign is not well thought out. "Texans Support Blue Bell", "Praying for Blue Bell", and "God Bless Blue Bell" make much more sense to me
Noble07
AG
quote:
So, a large small-town employer with a much-loved history in this state hits some very difficult times and the residents of this small town gather together to pray for the company's well-being and this hits some of you in a political context? You're ****ing pathetic.

This.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I totally understand rallying to support the biggest employer in town. I too will probably go out of my way to buy Blue Bell after its on shelves again. I just think the come and take it sign is not well thought out. "Texans Support Blue Bell", "Praying for Blue Bell", and "God Bless Blue Bell" make much more sense to me

Texans love their Texas history. Especially in Washington county. I think it's just marketing trying to strike that Texan pride chord. I don't really know specifically who they are telling to come and take it, either.
Ackley
quote:
but Blue Bell did this to themselves.

Blue Bell created listeria to spread it to the competitors and destroy their operations. Then the listeria went rogue and took them out. Brilliant.
GarlandAg2012
AG
That's the part that gets me...it was a voluntary recall! Blue Bell is the one offering refunds to people who want it. It's almost like they're telling Blue Bell to come and take their Blue Bell.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
That's the part that gets me...it was a voluntary recall! Blue Bell is the one offering refunds to people who want it. It's almost like they're telling Blue Bell to come and take their Blue Bell.

I thought Blue Bell made the signs too. So I thought the same as the other poster who said he thought Blue Bell was telling listeria to come and take it. Haha who even knows.
95_Aggie
AG
So this grassroots prayer vigil is being sponsored by Blue Bell?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:

Maybe not losing jobs, but I'd imagine losing over 3 weeks worth of stock, inventory and having to shut down and halt production can put a strain on a business.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the prayers and the show of support is because this is damage to the brand that could linger in the public's minds for YEARS. As someone said a few posts back: this is something that could destroy a company.

This is a show of support for the company in what could be devastating times. This could ruin Brenham's economy.

Equating this to the Tea Party is the stupidest f-ing thing I think I've read on this board in a long time.
B-1 83
AG
Lighten up, Francis.

Has the thought crossed anyone's mind that it could be a tongue-in-cheek PR campaign?
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
This. I know it's crazy, but it's possible to support a great local employer that's done a lot of great things for its community, while still thinking one particular sign showing that support doesn't make any sense. I don't understand who they're asking to "take" their ice cream, since no one is making any attempt to do so.
The restaurant my son works at was about to throw away a tub of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, because of the recall, when my son stopped the manager and said he'd take it home. They said they could because of the risk, but he said he didn't care. Manager gave in, but not before having him sign a release.

It was good timing, because we were almost out at home!

Now I'm wondering if I save it a few more days, how much could I sell a scoop for?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I don't understand who they're asking to "take" their ice cream, since no one is making any attempt to do so.
Exactly - what is being taken, and who is coming to take it? Are grocery stores suddenly telling Blue Bell they won't remove the product from shelves unless Blue Bell comes and forcibly takes it? Do people think Blue Bell or someone else is going to demand they discard or return product that is already in their possession?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
So this grassroots prayer vigil is being sponsored by Blue Bell?

I even posted links for you people.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
It's clear that the yard sign was a trigger for you. Breath deep and let it go.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
People spend lots of money on stupid yard signs all the time. I'd rather save my money and use it to buy more Blue Bell when it's back on shelves to help the company recover. Imagine if Mattress Mack used the tens of thousands of dollars he spent running full page ads in the chronicle to just buy Blue Bell ice cream to give away, it would probably do more to help the company recover than a full page ad in a newspaper would.
haircut
AG
You should charge $42 for the scoop of ice cream
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
People spend lots of money on stupid yard signs all the time. I'd rather save my money and use it to buy more Blue Bell when it's back on shelves to help the company recover. Imagine if Mattress Mack used the tens of thousands of dollars he spent running full page ads in the chronicle to just buy Blue Bell ice cream to give away, it would probably do more to help the company recover than a full page ad in a newspaper would.

Yeah, but people who see those yard signs generally don't feel an overwhelming need to ***** about them to anyone and everyone they can. Your stupid, ignorant OP blew up in your face and now you're just trying to downplay it as NBD. You're like one of the sips on OR who predicted whorn glory under chuckles only to have reality and a losing season slap them in face and have to backtrack and call it a rebuilding year because Mack sucked.

Congratulations.
rhoswen
AG
Apparently the general board is everyone Keith knows.

Why are you so angry about a dumb post by Keith? Before you say you're not angry I'll just go ahead and point out you certainly act like it since you're being such a jerk.
Ryan the Temp
AG
You take the internet WAY too seriously. Have you ever been on the GB before?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Blue Bell is an evil and pernicious organization.
staticdoor
AG
You mad though?
Tanya 93
I prefer my vanilla ice cream without corn syrup
rhoswen
AG
I prefer mine with maple syrup.

Only on vanilla, though.
rhoswen
AG
I don't keep ice cream in the house, though. Or syrup.

I do have fruit punch sherbet though. Bought it to make rum drinks, which sounds like a good plan now that the sun is out.
Moon Shadow
The Blue Bell ice cream plant is/was such a large contributor to the economic well being of Brenham that all but the entire livelihood of the town will be greatly impacted should the plant close or have to be relocated. The same happened in Plainview, TX when the beef plant closed and the town lost over 20% of the paying jobs in town. Brenham will probably survive. The old Blue Bell plant may have to go--razed and the stainless steel sold off for scrap. A new Blue Bell plant may have to be built. Listeria is tough to get out of the numerous lines, seals, and O rings. Questions will remain and customer loyalty will be stretched.

Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I understand ultra libs like you HATE succesful private business, but mistake or not, Blue Bell is very impactful for many in the region, including our university. Why do you care if some choose to pray over the situation?
If they want to pray about it, good for them. I always get a kick out of it when people describe me as being an ultra liberal because it proves you don't pay attention and just make **** up.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
I understand ultra libs like you HATE succesful private business, but mistake or not, Blue Bell is very impactful for many in the region, including our university. Why do you care if some choose to pray over the situation?
If they want to pray about it, good for them. I always get a kick out of it when people describe me as being an ultra liberal because it proves you don't pay attention and just make **** up.

a) You are, and b) you started this sheety thread because you got your panties in a wad and wanted some attention.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.