Work-Life Balance...

18,940 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by coupland boy
An Ag in CO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
After today, I'm off until the 5th and carrying over 6 vacation days.

Much better to be in a position with no limit on vacation days. I would've thought the OP was at that level, but now we know why he needs an administrative assistant. Those vacation days must be tracked.
Scimitar
AG
I assure you it won't...luxury things are just fun...private school and college tuition, nice house in a safe area, and financial security as the market ebbs and flows (both job and investment markets), on the other hand, cost a lot of money.

In the end, this is how dynasties are built....you do what you can to give them a leg up, pass it on and (hopefully) they continue to grow it and pass it on
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:
After today, I'm off until the 5th and carrying over 6 vacation days.

Much better to be in a position with no limit on vacation days. I would've thought the OP was at that level, but now we know why he needs an administrative assistant. Those vacation days must be tracked.

I've had jobs with no limit on vacation days...I tended to take less. Then again, at an investment bank, you're required to take two consecutive weeks off, which is actually a pain.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I think I have found TexAgs #1 Dbag.
Congrats! Merry Christmas!!!
Hug your dog.
Post removed:
by user
Scimitar
AG
and some of us enjoy the thrill of the chase. I'm far too young to be content. Then again, not a lot of people get to (or want to) do what I do.

And I'm not sure why people think discussions like this mean that you punch a time clock for the sake of punching a time clock. Some jobs don't fit neatly into some 8-5 mentality.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Hug your dog.

you're a quick one...that was decided back in 2006, I believe.
80s Guy
quote:
quote:
Hug your dog.

you're a quick one...that was decided back in 2006, I believe.
Or sooner
Scimitar
AG
Holy crap! I just answered a call on my Blackberry...my Christmas vacation is ruined!!
HossAg
AG
Wait, blackberry is still a thing?!
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Wait, blackberry is still a thing?!
yes, unfortunately
jh0400
AG
quote:
If you say so smart guy.

Keep patting yourself on the back and telling yourself what you need to hear.

How many hours does your boss's, boss's boss work. You don't even know because you can't get near him. And he doesn't even know who you are. You're just another dude.

My boss's boss is the CFO, and I'm well aware of how much he works. His boss, the CEO, works long hours as well. Companies don't build themselves.
Roy Hofheinz
Isn't the OP middle eastern? The next time I meet a cool Muslim will be the first time I ever met a cool Muslim. It's easy to see through his insecurities and that he was picked on a lot as a kid.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Oh, Harriet.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Isn't the OP middle eastern? The next time I meet a cool Muslim will be the first time I ever met a cool Muslim. It's easy to see through his insecurities and that he was picked on a lot as a kid.

oh look who's back....it must really piss you off to see "foreigners" that are your superiors
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

Is this real life?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The inability of you people to look past your own little world never ceases to astound me.
I'll be honest Scimi, it's very ironic for you to say this. I'm single with no kids, so I'm in no position to say this to someone, but you have no kids either, and your posting history suggests your main focus in life at the moment is "your own little world" as well, so, this post seems a little hypocritical.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:
The inability of you people to look past your own little world never ceases to astound me.
I'll be honest Scimi, it's very ironic for you to say this. I'm single with no kids, so I'm in no position to say this to someone, but you have no kids either, and your posting history suggests your main focus in life at the moment is "your own little world" as well, so, this post seems a little hypocritical.

Good point, but not at all what I was referring to. I've already said that it's not for everyone. Ironically enough, this thread was actually directed at people your age and situation (single, no kids). The point being that a little hard work early in life can pay off tremendously later.

Then, of course, the sanctimonious helicopter parents posted their feigned indignation.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
quote:
"There is no excuse for long hours and hard work to advance your career."

Arguably the most inaccurate and stupid post in the history of Texags. Something only someone young and inexperienced would ever say.

Working long hard hours for the man gets you promoted to another crappy position that requires long hard hours with no high end upward mobility. If you think top level positions are filled by those who work long hard hours, you are sadly mistaken. We hire you shmucks under us so that we can work work efficiently and control our situation.

Upward mobility is not determined by desk time... it is determined by ability to control the position and those around you, both up and down. You get those around you to work, not sit in your desk counting hours to prove how hard you work.

Long desk time is not the sign of a hard worker, it is the sign of someone whose children resent him, whose wife is giving oral favors in the shops of legacy parking lot, and someone who actually count the days they have been on vacation like it is reps on a weight machine (which I am sure you also count). Its not about the experience, its about the number of days.

I am sorry, but I feel you are very misguided and have a lot to learn.

While I think this is obvious and goes without saying, I forgot that this was TexAgs: long hours and hard work are not the only thing a person has to do in order to be successful, but it's pretty difficult to do well with out it. I stand by my statement that there is no substitute for those two things, including raw talent, but thank you for your hyperbole and presumption. It made you sound highly intelligent. You can't get by on talent alone in a competitive industry. If you're able to do well without a lot of effort, then I am sincerely happy for you. What happens when you run across someone equally or more talented than you that puts the time in?
At a certain point, everyone is talented and smart, and hard work can be a difference maker. By the way, I may have believed you until I read: "We hire you schmucks under us so that we can work efficiently and control our situation." A real manager doesn't think that way.
swimmerbabe11
This + meeting a chick who was about to have triplets today = reinforced desire for no kids
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Your attitudes change when you have kids.

And are female

Not always. Prior to being a parent and in my former career, I was on the road all over the country just listening to new bands. I would turn the trips into vacations.

Then I had a kid. My priorities deal with her, not my job.

Because you are female. It's the way you are wired. Men don't usually have this problem

Also, when are statements like this going to stop being PC and acceptable?
knoxtom
I didn't say to work less hard, I said bragging about the number of hours one works is really really stupid.

The guys who slave away at their desk bragging about how they work 60 hours a week never go anywhere. Why would you promote a person who is taking 60 hours to accomplish their job? Do you really think giving him more responsibility is going to make him or her more efficient? Give him more responsibility and then that idiot will be in the office 80 hours a week. If anything the 60 hour guy needs to be demoted to a job they can accomplish in a normal work week.

I give more responsibility to someone who has mastered his position, improves those above and below him, and doesn't need 60 hours a week to do it. I don't want to burn someone out. Congrats on being successful working one and a half times more than the others... but show me the guy who gets 98% of the production you do in 40 hours and I will show you the guy who is ready to step up.

You are proving nothing with your continued braggadocio except that you just don't get it and with your constant attacks it is obvious you won't get it anytime soon.

I really mean this seriously, you will advance for a while through the monkey jobs then you will hit a wall where your bosses will always ask, "how can we move this guy up... he is already here all the time and he clearly can't handle more stuff." If you really want to get ahead, you need to get control of your work.

Anyway, last response from me. I think you are nothing but a troll know-it-all tasting his first success in life with reality looming 5 years in front. Good luck with your incredible knowledge of everything in the world, but if I were to guess, I would guess that right now is your career peak with this company.

Tony Tedeschi
For 2014:

-3x SE Asia
-2x Middle Easy
-7x Europe
-Several domestic trips
-Spend 50ish hours per week in office and 10-20 hours working at home most weeks

My key to balance is taking trips on the end of my work trips...wife came on 3 trips and we went skiing in Austria, scuba off if Thailand, and resort in Indonesia. Kids came to Austria and Indonesia. I work my ass of to provide for my family.

Scimitar
AG
quote:

The guys who slave away at their desk bragging about how they work 60 hours a week never go anywhere. Why would you promote a person who is taking 60 hours to accomplish their job? Do you really think giving him more responsibility is going to make him or her more efficient? Give him more responsibility and then that idiot will be in the office 80 hours a week. If anything the 60 hour guy needs to be demoted to a job they can accomplish in a normal work week.

1. No one is bragging, but clearly reading comprehension is not your strong suit
2. You're obviously not in investment banking, Big Law, Big 4 accounting or management consulting. You'd never survive, let alone actually have what it takes to get such a job.
3. Thank you for making this your last post. I don't suffer fools very easily, so this helps me to hold my tongue going forward.
Drawkcab
1:40 on Christmas Eve Eve and I am still here. I suck at life.

Ha, just kidding. About to bounce.
80s Guy
quote:
1:40 on Christmas Eve Eve and I am still here. I suck at life.

Ha, just kidding. About to bounce.
I sent my office staff home. Just wrapping up a couple more reports for the end of the year then bouncing until the 5th.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
A troll know it all, I love it!

Since you're the knower of all things and a modern day Nostradamus, can you please tell me what the S&P 500 is going to do next year? Also, can I have your autograph?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
1. No one is bragging, but clearly reading comprehension is not your strong suit
Scimitar
AG
clearly, it's not your strong suit either
Ragoo
AG
quote:

I give more responsibility to someone who has mastered his position, improves those above and below him, and doesn't need 60 hours a week to do it. I don't want to burn someone out. Congrats on being successful working one and a half times more than the others... but show me the guy who gets 98% of the production you do in 40 hours and I will show you the guy who is ready to step up.

Hey boss man, maybe you should realize your employee is struggling and take the initiative to train them or help them understand what they are doing inefficiently. Show some leadership for your team as well as engagement in their career development.
marble rye
AG
quote:
This + meeting a chick who was about to have triplets today = reinforced desire for no kids

My django.
POW
AG
Anyone with 53k posts on a message board probably isn't that important...

Good luck with your bragging on a message board to strangers goals in 2015 though.
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:

Yeap
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeap

So sad. Your "puppy dog" is here to tell you that you are sad. Have a #blessed #holiday
HossAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeap

So sad. Your "puppy dog" is here to tell you that you are sad. Have a #blessed #holiday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.