Work-Life Balance...

18,921 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by coupland boy
Post removed:
by user
aglaohfour
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
because people who say some job wasn't worth it because of no work-life balance are likely just inept or lazy....at the job and at life
I don't necessarily believe that's fair to say. I never had trouble with work-life balance until my daughter was born. I'm no less effective at my job than I was before, but I am totally miserable because all of the sudden the long hours, traveling all the time, and constantly answering phone calls and emails when I'm home is burdensome because it detracts from the time I have with my daughter. I don't think that resenting the lack of balance makes me lazy at all.
Scimitar
AG
Fair, but I would place providing for my family at a very high priority like my dad did.
Protrident
AG
I wonder if there's generational differences here.... before the Dad cared only about the money aspect of taking care of the family, long hours, never home, etc. Now, they look more at the whole package of "being there" for them? food for thought.
Ragoo
AG
no reason why you can't have both, like my dad...
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
This year I've been to Vegas for 5 days, went skiing in Sun Valley, lived for a month in South Florida, partied in NOLA twice, went on 10 interviews so far, 5 of which I turned into vacations (New York, Chicago, Tampa, Baton Rouge, Cleveland), and I'll be going on a 3 week Europe trip in April going to Amsterdam, Munich, Prague, and Budapest.

And I've probably worked about 20 hrs/wk. I love the 4th year of medical school.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
marble rye
AG
SAIB
Zip 88
I am neither lazy nor a millennial.

I am very good at what I do, and am very conscious of trying to bring value to my employer.

I work a rather demanding schedule, that is about to get worse. Little "work-life" balance will become even more difficult to come by.

The sweeping statements often posted on this board can be downright ignorant.
Jack Klompus
AG
My God, the OP is impressive.
DallasAggie89
AG
Who asked for this information?
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I wonder if there's generational differences here.... before the Dad cared only about the money aspect of taking care of the family, long hours, never home, etc. Now, they look more at the whole package of "being there" for them? food for thought.

You might be on to something here, Brother, but there are plenty of 20 somethings without kids that still whine about it. Little do they realize that if they actually work their butts off, they'll be in a position to write their own schedules as they get older.

Then, of course, you have many of all ages that love to say that family is more important than money (as if the two can be separated) but are the first ones to gripe about "the rich".
BrazosDog02
AG
I think its just that the olds were afraid of their employer. If you are a decent employee, its not hard to have a good work/life balance. There really is no reason to work more than 40 hours unless you just simply want it that way. If you don't want it that way, and you have it that way, its probably because you are a pushover or just inefficient at managing your tasks. If you can manage it accordingly for long enough, then it only gets easier to write your own schedule.

I think a lot of the *****ing and moaning is just because the younger generation wants what the 10 year employees have...but they want it right now....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Then, of course, you have many of all ages that love to say that family is more important than money (as if the two can be separated)
Uh, what?
80s Guy
quote:
quote:
Then, of course, you have many of all ages that love to say that family is more important than money (as if the two can be separated)
Uh, what?

You got money, you got no car, you no woman so there you are... The immortal words of Young MC
aggiesq
AG
quote:
quote:

You might be on to something here, Brother, but there are plenty of 20 somethings without kids that still whine about it. Little do they realize that if they actually work their butts off, they'll be in a position to write their own schedules as they get older.

Then, of course, you have many of all ages that love to say that family is more important than money (as if the two can be separated) but are the first ones to gripe about "the rich".
helluva lot of truth in that statement. used to be called paying your dues. sadly a diminishing concept
Goose
AG
quote:
quote:
Uh, what?

You got real hair, real fingernails...if you got a job, you going to school, and y'all don't need nobody to help you handle yo' bidness...Make some Noise!!!!... The immortal words of DJ Kool
agracer
AG
Scmitar is that guy we all knew in HS who bragged about allthe chicks he was banging and how large he is. In reality, it's 3" long and it touches himself constantly while trying to catch a peak of his older sister in the shower.

And nobody who posts 52,000 messages in 7 years (or 20/day) "works"60-hours a week.
onceaggie
marble rye
AG
quote:
Scmitar is that guy we all knew in HS who bragged about allthe chicks he was banging and how large he is. In reality, it's 3" long and it touches himself constantly while trying to catch a peak of his older sister in the shower.

And nobody who posts 52,000 messages in 7 years (or 20/day) "works"60-hours a week.

Incoming use of the c word.

Oh wait, you're male.
Scimitar
AG
quote:

ok buddy
Ragoo
AG
Most of us that call out the OP don't actually mean it, I think that dude actually believes what he wrote.
Scimitar
AG
agreed...btw, think I still owe you a drink
Biz Ag
AG
Work hard, play hard, sleep late on Sundays.

Has worked pretty well for me.
Ragoo
AG
If I ever get up to NYC. Wife's best friend lives in Brooklyn.
Scimitar
AG
And I come down to Aggieland twice a year anyway
Ogre09
AG
quote:
I love TexAgs because I can always rely on scimi to be even more of a condescending ***** than I am

But he's charming and likable when he does it. You're just a *****.
80s Guy
quote:
quote:
I love TexAgs because I can always rely on scimi to be even more of a condescending ***** than I am

A charming ******* and a ***** with a sweet ass
OldArmyAggie94
AG
quote:
...is a term used by the lazy. Here's a breakdown of 2014 for me -

9 domestic (including Canada) business trips
3 business trips to Europe (4-5 countries at a time)

2 vacations to Grand Cayman
2 trips to Aggieland
1 weekend in Florida (2 if you count a business trip there with a weekend stay)
1 vacation to Ireland

I averaged about 60 hours/week in the office (wide range on either side of that depending on what was going on)

After today, I'm off until the 5th and carrying over 6 vacation days.

I say that's more than balanced even if I keep in contact in my off time and weekends like a professional should.
Sounds sad.....
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

Awww shucks
atmtws
AG
quote:
quote:

ok buddy

OP sounds like a privileged ******.
Post removed:
by user
Eliminatus
AG
I want your life Scimitar! ! What's your secret?!

You can tell me everything! We are both former Marines. We can use that as our common ground!
Big Tuna
Mid 30's. Two young kids. Both of us run our own shows. Both of us made our kids Christmas performance at 245 today and had sushi with them for dinner. Drinking a glass of John J Bowman single barrel neat. Neither of us worry about **** like vacation days because we make our own vacation days.

That is life work balance the right way. Enjoy your "vacation days".
Chips2003
AG
TheMasterplan
How many millenials get that much vacation time in the USA?

Millenials value life over work. When you're old, you're going to talk about what you did in your off time. Not about what you did in your work. WGAS.

You come off as though you define yourself by your job/career and I don't think that's necessarily something you should be proud of. You suggest working for the sake of working.

And two trips to Aggieland is some basic ****.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.