Generational breaks

12,433 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by saber69
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Didn't the term "millennial" come about simply because people born in 1982 happened to turn 18 in the year 2000? That's pretty arbitrary. Culturally I'd say most people born in the mid-80s have much more in common with people born in the early 80's than with people born in the early 90's.

Agree

Born Dec 83, dont identify with millennials at all. Remember and used both items in op. I remember life before the Internet. I remember us being benched in team sports for bad attitudes regardless of talent. We didn't all get a trophy.

Abesimpsonyellingatcloud.jpg
I remember all that too and I was born 88. You're not special.

Hell the only thing out of that I don't remember is life before the internet and I was born in 94.

That sucks. '94 was an awesome year for movies and music.

Dumb and Dumber
The Mask
Forrest Gump
Speed
Ace Ventura
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption

Jar of Flies - AIC
Dookie - Green Day
Weezer - Weezer
Throwing Copper - Live
Cracked Rear View - Hootie
Smash - The Offspring
Hell Freezes Over - Eagles
Unplugged - Nirvana
Under the Table and Dreaming-DMB
FIFY...

Hell I was born in '92 and I got some old school parents so I remember just about everything yall are talking about. My dad had that bigass bag phone in his car for years, he was so proud of it. Dial up was the absolute worse and I still remember the horrible pron attempts I had with it. There was a pharmacy in my hometown that used those old carbon copy knuckle busters till my freshman year in college. I didn't have a cell phone until I was in high school, played outside just about every day barring nasty thunderstorms or dust storms, and we always walked to the pools in the summertime.
Sea Gull
AG
Shut up.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Dick Patrol
WC87
AG
you deserve a break today
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
NSync's only advantage was the videos were more dancy and elaborate.

Everyone knows BSB had the better voices and songs.

Truth.

I have found a distinct differences in people born between 80-85, 85-90, and 90 to about 93 or so. 93 and later and most of those people don't remember life before the Internet. Early 90s most kids still grew up without the internet being high speed, still didn't get participation trophies, etc. I still remember giant cell phones, cord phones, dial up, and really crappy computers for typing class.
Diamond Geezer
quote:
quote:
typing class.

Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
quote:
NSync's only advantage was the videos were more dancy and elaborate.

Everyone knows BSB had the better voices and songs.

Truth.

I have found a distinct differences in people born between 80-85, 85-90, and 90 to about 93 or so. 93 and later and most of those people don't remember life before the Internet. Early 90s most kids still grew up without the internet being high speed, still didn't get participation trophies, etc. I still remember giant cell phones, cord phones, dial up, and really crappy computers for typing class.

Very little difference in those age groups. All of them are millennials.
An Ag in CO
AG
quote:
Everyone's a little bit millennial.

None more so than AgBeliever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Playing Frogger on mactintosh computers before school started.
Natasha Romanoff
Ronnie - wasn't trying to say they weren't. But late 90s kids grew up in a very different world than the earlier parts of the generation.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Natasha Romanoff
Oregon trail was the ****.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
I still remember giant cell phones, cord phones, dial up, and really crappy computers for typing class.

I actually had typing class using actual typewriters. I don't know if this was because it was 1993 or because I lived in the town from Little House on the Prairie.
Geralt of Rivia
S
In 93 we had typing lessons on some of those super old Mac computers, which were awesome at the time
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
In 93 we had typing lessons on some of those super old Mac computers, which were awesome at the time
Oh we also had those super old Mac computers; we just didn't use them for typing class. They were used exclusively for Oregon Trail.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
you deserve a break today

thanks butty
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
quote:
Oh we also had those super old Mac computers; we just didn't use them for typing class. They were used exclusively for Oregon Trail.
It was technically "computer class" but all we did in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade was typing games. Maybe once every couple of weeks we would get to play Oregon Trail
justcallmeharry
S
Ha ha ha... I am so old that when I took typing class we used typewriters - not electric either. If you got 30 wpm you were going to pass! At the old A&M Consolidated Campus.

I barely got on the Internet train. I hate cell phones to this day. That's life.

Interesting forum...

Harry...
Frederick Palowaski
AG
If you remember watching Bucky Richardson play his freshman year then you are not a millennial.
histag10
AG
My parents always had the old bag phones in their vehicles, not cell phones
Chazz03
AG
quote:

Mine still does. only way to get service in most places he is working is with a bag phone and a signal booster in the truck.
bmc13
AG
quote:
because I lived in the town from Little House on the Prairie

I think this is the answer, bb
wangus12
AG
quote:
Born Dec 83, dont identify with millennials at all. Remember and used both items in op. I remember life before the Internet. I remember us being benched in team sports for bad attitudes regardless of talent. We didn't all get a trophy.
I was born in 90 and this was my life to a letter. We didn't get internet on the farm till I was nearly out of high school and that was that. I bought my first cellphone as a fish in college.
histag10
AG
quote:
quote:

Mine still does. only way to get service in most places he is working is with a bag phone and a signal booster in the truck.

My dad just gave up on getting service in most of that area. I think he finds it therapeutic to curse the cell companies in his truck or tractor
TennAg
I find reception to Seinfeld references to be a good barometer
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
I was born in 90 and this was my life to a letter. We didn't get internet on the farm till I was nearly out of high school and that was that. I bought my first cellphone as a fish in college.
For someone born in 1990 this was definitely not the norm. The internet and cell phones were both really huge deals by the time you started high school.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
I find reception to Seinfeld references to be a good barometer
It's pronounced thermometer.
Beer Baron
AG
Did any other farm kids' dads have the phones mounted in their truck that made your horn honk so you'd know you were getting a call while you were in the cafe or gin office drinking coffee? Or were we just fancy?
histag10
AG
quote:
quote:
For someone born in 1990 this was definitely not the norm. The internet and cell phones were both really huge deals by the time you started high school.

I can relate. I got my first cell phone in HS (but I paid for it and the bill), and my parents didn't get satellite/cable until I was in college (they also had dial-up through my sophomore year in college). I was born in 87
Natasha Romanoff
My mom had a typewriter. I would play on it as a kid. I think she got rid of it when I was in middle school.
Diamond Geezer

How about this... can anybody here identify what this is? They made whole tv shows and movies around this item.
Holly Golightly
AG
My typewriter is sitting beside my desk at work
Still used occasionally
wangus12
AG
BB, we had one like that. We'd usually leave the truck at the top of the hill and ride down to the cows. You'd hear the truck horn go off and we'd race back to the truck
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Did any other farm kids' dads have the phones mounted in their truck that made your horn honk so you'd know you were getting a call while you were in the cafe or gin office drinking coffee? Or were we just fancy?

rich fancy or ghey fancy?
histag10
AG
quote:

How about this... can anybody here identify what this is? They made whole tv shows and movies around this item.

It's an old CB radio. I'm not old and even I know that

also, if you want specifics, it is a Teaberry T Command CB base radio (Google is my friend)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.