Generational breaks

12,392 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by saber69
bmc13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I remember going on road trips with multiple cars and if you wanted to pull over you flashed your lights until the front car flashed their hazards, then you all pulled over.

CB is where it's at
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Parents had a '79 Buick Electra, two-door. Dad took out the catalytic converter (I think) so it could run on Regular, instead of Unleaded.

That car also had an in-dash 8-track player. We later bought a Kraco adapter to play those high-falutin' cassettes. Problem was: there was no rewind. If you wanted to hear a song again, you had to slip the cassette over and fast forward.

Both grandparents were on party lines. One had a separate cradle on the back for the bakelite phone. You pulled a string and set the phone on the back cradle. Doing so pushed a button and the cradle played "Everything's Coming Up Roses". That way, the caller could be put on hold, sort of.

Had a computer literacy class in the 8th grade in which we used Commodore 64s.

We had an old satellite system where you had to dial in the satellite, then change the channel. We later had a decoder with a chip (highly illegal) and I was introduced to American XXXtasy at the age of 12. It changed my life.

In high school, we took typing on an IBM electric typewriter. The de facto computers were Apple IIe models.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:

My mom still has the bottom microwave and uses it to this day.
TexasRebel
AG
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2008/03/net_generation.html
saber69
AG
Carbon copy came from typing letters with carbon paper. There were no copiers, so many, many things were typed in triplicate, quadruplet, etc. The original went to the person the letter was addressed to. The people who got copies were listed at the bottom :
cc: Joe
cc: Tom
cc: Harry
cc: Jane

etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.