Hydroxychloroquine...........

296,842 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
DadHammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am sticking with the hundreds of Dr. saying it is working for their patients.

I really don't get why it's a big deal. If you don't believe it works then don't take it. But don't think for one minute you can tell others not to use it. That's ridiculous.
DTP02
AG
eric76 said:

rayneag said:

At this point, why should we believe any study?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/covid-19-surgisphere-who-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine
Science is doing what science does. In this case, scientists are stepping up to oppose fraudulent manufacturered data sets.

Part of the purpose of publishing research is so that others can verify or refute that research.

To laud the scientific process in revealing the fraud is to entirely miss the point. This was an epic failure of the process, because it never should have gotten anywhere close to publication nor should anyone, let alone the WHO and other national and international health policy makers, have ever relied on it.

The company who supplied the data was the medical equivalent of a Nigerian Prince email scam, and equally as obvious. How a fraud that obvious didn't get caught before publication or before anyone relied on the results of the fraudulent study, screams, not just speaks, volumes about the process.

And the people who pulled the curtain back on it weren't scientists, but an Australian arm of a British tabloid. Sorry, no self-congratulatory pat on the back is justified for the scientists and healthcare pros on this one.
Windy City Ag
AG
Another study released.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-05-no-clinical-benefit-use-hydroxychloroquine-hospitalised-patients-covid-19

Quote:

Professor Peter Horby and Professor Martin Landray, chief investigators of the RECOVERY Trial, said 'In March this year, RECOVERY was established as a randomised clinical trial to test a range of potential drugs for COVID-19, including hydroxycholoroquine.

'The trial has proceeded at unprecedented speed, enrolling over 11,000 patients from 175 NHS hospitals in the UK. Throughout this time, the independent Data Monitoring Committee has reviewed the emerging data about every two weeks to determine if there is evidence that would be strong enough to affect national and global treatment of COVID-19.

'On Thursday 4 June, in response to a request from the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the independent Data Monitoring Committee conducted a further review of the data. Last night, the Committee recommended the chief investigators review the unblinded data on the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial.

'We have concluded that there is no beneficial effect of hydroxychloroquine in patients hospitalised with COVID-19. We have therefore decided to stop enrolling participants to the hydroxychloroquine arm of the RECOVERY trial with immediate effect. We are now releasing the preliminary results as they have important implications for patient care and public health.
Keegan99
AG

Quote:

We have concluded that there is no beneficial effect of hydroxychloroquine in patients hospitalised with COVID-19

Another study not focusing on early intervention with HCQ.
DTP02
AG
As I mentioned on the other thread, I don't think many were still holding out hope for HCQ as an effective treatment for those who already have severe symptoms, like all of those in the Oxford study.

The jury is still out on HCQ as a prophylactic or early stage treatment.
lead
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-happened-with-that-bogus-hydroxycholoroquine-study/
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
DTP02 said:

As I mentioned on the other thread, I don't think many were still holding out hope for HCQ as an effective treatment for those who already have severe symptoms, like all of those in the Oxford study.

The jury is in regarding prophylaxis. It doesn't work.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Exsurge Domine
Yeah I think it's pretty much over for HCQ, I think this is like the 8th time it's been held up as a wonder drug for it's in vitro effectiveness but never realizes in the real world. FWIW my uncle is a doctor and says it's harmless, but why take it if it's no good even if it's harmless?
DTP02
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

DTP02 said:

The jury is in regarding prophylaxis. It doesn't work.

Pretty sure we had this discussion on another thread from a week or more ago. The post you're responding to is over a week old.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Yup, missed the date on your post. My bad!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amercer
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/15/hydroxychloroquine-authorization-revoked-coronavirus/
Duncan Idaho
So does this mean we are down to plasma and the one or two antivirals that have shown some improvement in case outcomes?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

So does this mean we are down to plasma and the one or two antivirals that have shown some improvement in case outcomes?
Yes, remdesivir given to hypoxic patients at admit x 5 days, tociluzimab x 1 or 2 to cytokine storm, and convalescent plasma as patients worsen. This cocktail is working. Seeing far fewer deaths.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks. I saw your answer after I move this to the right thread.

Good the hear that those are working.
Picadillo
Thanks for posting amercer. Removal of the emergency authorization means HCQ can now be used more widely, and not just restricted to inpatient only. It can now be used for outpatient, at home, etc. And also be transacted across state lines.

The previous restrictions applied to the national stockpile of HCQ, most of which came from Pakistan. It had been restricted to inpatient use only so it wouldn't get used up.

More devious was the restriction itself, written by the whilstleblower (Rick Bright?) knowing that covid patients once hospitalized, was too late for HCQ, designed to cast further doubts on the drug.

Bottom line, you can now get a HCQ Rx as an outpatient. Suggest going to an independent physician who is allowed to practice and is not restricted by corporate medicine policies.

HCQ, with zinc sulfate and the Z-Pack, remains the most effective treatment if given EARLY in the process.
Proposition Joe
Picadillo said:

Thanks for posting amercer. Removal of the emergency authorization means HCQ can now be used more widely, and not just restricted to inpatient only. It can now be used for outpatient, at home, etc. And also be transacted across state lines.

The previous restrictions applied to the national stockpile of HCQ, most of which came from Pakistan. It had been restricted to inpatient use only so it wouldn't get used up.

More devious was the restriction itself, written by the whilstleblower (Rick Bright?) knowing that covid patients once hospitalized, was too late for HCQ, designed to cast further doubts on the drug.

Bottom line, you can now get a HCQ Rx as an outpatient. Suggest going to an independent physician who is allowed to practice and is not restricted by corporate medicine policies.

HCQ, with zinc sulfate and the Z-Pack, remains the most effective treatment if given EARLY in the process.

Source?
Duncan Idaho
Proposition Joe said:

Picadillo said:

Source?

Look at his posting history (particularly during a certain8 year time frame)..he has a special place in his heart for conspiracies.
BBQ4Me
AG
Yaaay....
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/health/hydroxychloroquine-national-stockpile/index.html
fullback44
AG
BBQ4Me said:

Yaaay....
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/health/hydroxychloroquine-national-stockpile/index.html
be careful, look who is issuing that report.
AggieFrog
AG
fullback44 said:

BBQ4Me said:

Yaaay....
be careful, look who is issuing that report.
Don't trust the spokesperson for the US Department of Health and Human Services?
amercer
AG
Well we should be in great shape if a lupus pandemic ever strikes!
Keegan99
AG
Skillet Shot
Decent results. Still waiting on a clinical trial with treatment before hospitalization is required.
Post removed:
by user
Prince_Ahmed
amercer said:

Well we should be in great shape if a lupus pandemic ever strikes!
Funny you say that. My wife has lupus and has been on HCQ for about 17 years. She had a really hard time finding it for a couple of months when there was all the hype in the news. Now our local pharmacist holds some back for her and other lupus and RA clients.
Keegan99
AG
94chem
Antibiotic only may seem like a cute science fair project, but given the stakes, why was this one of the options? Seems inhumane.
Keegan99
AG
Aaaaaand no cardiac arrhythmias...

amercer
AG
That is a low tier journal and I haven't seen this picked up by any news source. If true it would be great news, but I'm going to give it the 48hr rule.
94chem
amercer said:

That is a low tier journal and I haven't seen this picked up by any news source. If true it would be great news, but I'm going to give it the 48hr rule.

Henry Ford is a highly ranked hospital, and Wayne State is a decent school. Sometimes authors publish because they enjoy it, not because of the prestige of the journal. You know all this, though. The quality of the peer review and the God-given abilities of the scientists are way more important than the title of the journal...but you know this too.
RafterAg223
AG
amercer said:

This is in the WSJ this evening.
amercer
AG
It's just a little odd. Sure, maybe I send some random paper to ChemBioChem instead of ACS Chemical Biology because I just want to get it out and be done with it.

That doesn't make any sense for something like this. I'm not a biostats expert, so I'll wait for more analysis to see what's up.
amercer
AG
I guess maybe I could see a situation where the authors figured there were a hundred of these papers submitted already and they would just get theirs out. And then it turns out they've got the only positive data and their study is a way bigger deal than they thought it would be.

Also if this turns out to be true, these authors with single handedly raise the impact factor of that journal by about 10 points
bigtruckguy3500
JJMt said:

Why would HCQ + Z pack have a higher mortality rate than HCQ alone?
Both are QT prolonging drugs, and have a high likelihood of inducing a fatal heart rhythm in some people alone, and certainy when combined. But apparently cardiac arrhythmias weren't a big factor here. So perhaps the hypothesized in vitro mechanism didn't match with the actual in vivo physiology.
smjack1
This study was discussed on Fox News tonight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.