Hydroxychloroquine...........

296,844 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieFrog said:

DadHammer said:

Once you have as many positive results as are being reported it really isn't anecdotal anymore in reality.

Why in the helll would you let people die if there is even a tiny chance this works?

The democrats have killed themselves blocking and trashing this drug just because Trump mentioned it. That's flat out dangerous and they are getting people killed.

It's dangerous for the president to present it as a miracle drug - (his hyping this drug HAS killed people - stupid people, but still). Might it have efficacy - yes and I certainly hope it does. But let's not overhype its effectiveness until we know (and we don't know yet). Looks like most reports say that the benefits are early on, which means we need much more testing than is still currently available for it to be of greatest good if it is proved effective.
Please present evidence that he presented it as a miracle drug?

He said it shows promising results, and it has been around for decades so it's unlikely to harm/kill people. Doctors around the world are seeing promising outcomes with it as well. That is why OP started this thread.

Unless you drink aquarium cleaner. If my doctor told me to get more sodium in my diet and I put sodium cyanide on my food and die, that's entirely my fault, not my doctor's.
aggiebrad94
AG
AggieFrog said:

aggiebrad94 said:

AggieFrog said:

It's dangerous for the president to present it as a miracle drug - (his hyping this drug HAS killed people - stupid people, but still). Might it have efficacy - yes and I certainly hope it does. But let's not overhype its effectiveness until we know (and we don't know yet). Looks like most reports say that the benefits are early on, which means we need much more testing than is still currently available for it to be of greatest good if it is proved effective.
Since the medical drug is only available from a doctor, are you suggesting Dr's aren't smart enough to sift through what the President says and what other Dr's or Scientists are saying?
I'm saying they're human and can make mistakes - narcotic pain meds are also only prescribed by doctors as well, however we all know that not all docs prescribe that medicine judiciously.
You're describing fraud now. Your first post was about lack of knowledge or being mentally seduced by the President's press conferences. Two very different things.
fig96
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

AggieFrog said:

aggiebrad94 said:

AggieFrog said:

Since the medical drug is only available from a doctor, are you suggesting Dr's aren't smart enough to sift through what the President says and what other Dr's or Scientists are saying?
I'm saying they're human and can make mistakes - narcotic pain meds are also only prescribed by doctors as well, however we all know that not all docs prescribe that medicine judiciously.
You're describing fraud now. Your first post was about lack of knowledge or being mentally seduced by the President's press conferences. Two very different things.
We are starting to hear reports of hoarding the drug though (anecdotal, I realize, but it's needed regularly for other existing conditions) and that's a direct results of his comments.
cone
AG
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/remdesivir-surges-ahead-against-coronavirus/

Quote:

"There's only one drug right now that we think may have real efficacy," Bruce Aylward of the World Health Organization said last month. "And that's remdesivir."

fig96
AG
PearlJammin said:

fig96 said:

The correct answer is something like "We don't have the full picture yet but this looks promising, if you get sick it has potential so talk to your doctor."

Have you watched any of Trump's press conferences? He basically says this. Anyone with common sense understands that I must per prescribed. What else do you want him to say for **** sakes?

I would be PISSED if I had a loved with this disease and my small town Dr had no clue about the effects of HCL. Doesn't the president have a responsibility to provide the nation helpful information such as this? It is his DUTY dumb ass.
Not recently, I've been quite consciously avoiding them actually. And I wouldn't say it is his duty, it's his duty to have qualified people who bring things like this up. But thanks for calling me a dumb ass as we attempt to have a civil conversation.

Someone is overhyping it, whether it be him or certain members of the press or whoever because we wouldn't be having this conversation otherwise.

This shouldn't be a party thing, and I blame that on anyone making it so. Just because someone of one party says something doesn't make it wrong or right, there's lots of people on both sides who say stupid things.
cone
AG
okay

?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Can we keep this thread to germane clinical discussion? Please start a Trump HCQ thread here or on politics board.
DTP02
AG
Please take the dang political back and forth to the politics board. Both sides are guilty of it. This isn't the thread for it. Go hate on each other elsewhere.
Carolin_Gallego
PearlJammin said:

fig96 said:

The correct answer is something like "We don't have the full picture yet but this looks promising, if you get sick it has potential so talk to your doctor."

Have you watched any of Trump's press conferences? He basically says this. Anyone with common sense understands that I must per prescribed. What else do you want him to say for **** sakes?

I would be PISSED if I had a loved with this disease and my small town Dr had no clue about the effects of HCL. Doesn't the president have a responsibility to provide the nation helpful information such as this? It is his DUTY dumb ass.

Is it helpful? Sounds like he created a run on a drug based on anacdotal and inconcusive information and limiting its availabity for those that need it to treat other diseases.
Loaded
AG
VaultingChemist
AG

I haven't seen anything about NHC before.
Carolin_Gallego
https://www.isac.world/news-and-publications/official-isac-statement
Quote:

Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial (Gautret P et al. PMID 32205204)

ISAC shares the concerns regarding the above article published recently in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents (IJAA). The ISAC Board believes the article does not meet the Society's expected standard, especially relating to the lack of better explanations of the inclusion criteria and the triage of patients to ensure patient safety.

Despite some suggestions online as to the reliability of the article's peer review process, the process did adhere to the industry's peer review rules. Given his role as Editor in Chief of this journal, Jean-Marc Rolain had no involvement in the peer review of the manuscript and has no access to information regarding its peer review. Full responsibility for the manuscript's peer review process was delegated to an Associate Editor.

Although ISAC recognises it is important to help the scientific community by publishing new data fast, this cannot be at the cost of reducing scientific scrutiny and best practices. Both Editors in Chief of our journals (IJAA and Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance) are in full agreement.

Andreas Voss
ISAC President

April 3rd-2020
AggieBiker
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Can we keep this thread to germane clinical discussion? Please start a Trump HCQ thread here or on politics board.
I appreciate all you've contributed to this thread but can we keep it to English rather than German? The medical and biological terms are hard enough to understand already.
Keegan99
AG
He didn't create a run.

Bad actor physicians prescribing it in the absence of even a clinical diagnosis did.

Those physicians were at fault. No one else.

The President is not responsible for physicians acting irresponsibly and, in many instances, in a manner that is in violation of their license to practice.
jwj
Thank you getting the thread back in line.
cone
AG
Fitch
AG
Y'all take the politics to this thread and quit derailing this one.

LINK

Thanks.
Fitch
AG
Frankly man I don't give a damn. There are other threads for a subsection discussion on this topic.

Not everyone's world view is only lensed through politics.
Fitch
AG
Lens is fine, just politics and red/blue bickering doesn't rile me up.

Thank you for agreeing.
Cancelled
AG
So with that behind us (and not trying to touch on politics at all) are we actually treating people but calling them studies?
Barnyard96
AG

THIS THREAD WAS STARTED BY A DOCTOR TO DISCUSS HCQ TREATMENT. PLEASE TAKE POLITICS ELSEWHERE
cisgenderedAggie
VaultingChemist said:

I haven't seen anything about NHC before.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3101582/replies/56220658#56220658

It was posted pre-review a couple weeks ago. It's a newer compound that I don't believe has been tested in humans yet. It's supposedly being fast tracked for a clinical study.
DTP02
AG
Staff is apparently thankfully doing some work getting a bunch of posts off this thread that are solely political.

Staff's needed deletion work resulted in the unique scenario of that last page briefly reading "page 27 of 26."

"Page 27 of 26" makes about as much sense as trying to make this into a political argument. The vast, vast majority of people want this treatment to be effective. The low incidence of side-effects, long history of usage, low cost and fairly widespread availability, make this the darn near the perfect solution... if it works.

Let's get back to posting real info related to whether or not it's working.
PJYoung
AG
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1247045743468306433.html

Quote:

What are typical side effects of hydroxychloroquine sulfate listed in the FDA report? Tons. Screenshot from this safety document. #COVID19 accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_doc

In addition, reported yesterday, there was a new French study that refuted the previous Gautret French study. Thus, we must be cautious with this drug. While there might be benefits, we have to consider if adverse risks outweigh benefits. #COVID19
DTP02
AG
Looks like the Swedish study used chloroquine from that Swedish news report, not hydroxychloroquine.
Exsurge Domine
DTP02 said:

Looks like the Swedish study used chloroquine from that Swedish news report, not hydroxychloroquine.

Yes, I am not a doctor but from what I've read, hcq is better than cq because you can give much more of it, which makes it more efficacious, and the reason you can give more of it is that the side effects are less
PJYoung
AG
DTP02 said:

good
Mark Fairchild
AG
My wife is extremely allergic to sulfa. If the need arises, will she be able to take hydroxychloroquine?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
74Ag1
AG
Dr. Marc Siegel just said on Fox that his 97 year old father was cured with HQC down in Florida after being in bad shape.
chigger
AG
So is zinc still part of this treatment or only the HCQ? All i seem to see now is the mention of the HCQ on news sites and here, usually zinc isn't mentioned. Is it implied?
Dad
AG
I am watching Dr Oz right now and he interviewed this rheumatologist from California that says the eye problems with hydroxychloroquine don't usually happen until 10 years of use and that is only in 1% of patients. He said the heart issues are possible for HCQ but that was an issue when HCQ was prescribed at much higher doses in the 1950s and 1960s. He doesn't think it will be an issue at the dose doctors are using with Covid 19.
74Ag1
AG
chigger said:

So is zinc still part of this treatment or only the HCQ? All i seem to see now is the mention of the HCQ on news sites and here, usually zinc isn't mentioned. Is it implied?

I think the cocktail is hydroxychloroquine,
azithromycin and zinc.
Bonfire1996
AG
aggie-beta said:

I am watching Dr Oz right now and he interviewed this rheumatologist from California that says the eye problems with hydroxychloroquine don't usually happen until 10 years of use and that is only in 1% of patients. He said the heart issues are possible for HCQ but that was an issue when HCQ was prescribed at much higher doses in the 1950s and 1960s. He doesn't think it will be an issue at the dose doctors are using with Covid 19.

The best data is coming from Mt Sinai Hospital in NY. Ground effing zero. Their rheumatology department, who prescribed HCQ on a regular basis for their patients, are attempting to identify if a single one of their regular patients have contracted COVID. Dr. Oz says they haven't found one yet.. At least that's how I heard him today on the radio.
Barnyard96
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

aggie-beta said:

The best data is coming from Mt Sinai Hospital in NY. Ground effing zero. Their rheumatology department, who prescribed HCQ on a regular basis for their patients, are attempting to identify if a single one of their regular patients have contracted COVID. Dr. Oz says they haven't found one yet.. At least that's how I heard him today on the radio.
OZ just said this on Hannity.
Strongweasel97
AG
aggie-beta said:

That's what a lot of docs here have been trying to say IMHO. The severe side effects are generally from long term use I. Lupus patients, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.