Schloss on Olsen Expansion

38,239 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by trouble
SlackerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What if they lowered the field 10 feet similar to Kyle Field?

• The 1st seating deck could be extended a lot further w/ minimal impact to the existing structure. Of course, special drainage would be needed (just like Kyle) & the dugouts would be redone.
  • Add a 3rd upper deck & extend everything to replace the berms. I would add a very large canopy to shade from the hot sun for better fan experience.
  • With the lowered field, the outfield seating would now be a raised deck. Outfield deck can be extended higher by doing the Camden Yards technique over the Rec Center service road.

twk
AG
SlackerAg said:

What if they lowered the field 10 feet similar to Kyle Field?

• The 1st seating deck could be extended a lot further w/ minimal impact to the existing structure. Of course, special drainage would be needed (just like Kyle) & the dugouts would be redone.
  • Add a 3rd upper deck & extend everything to replace the berms. I would add a very large canopy to shade from the hot sun for better fan experience.
  • With the lowered field, the outfield seating would now be a raised deck. Outfield deck can be extended higher by doing the Camden Yards technique over the Rec Center service road.

There are at least two major problems with lowering the field:

1. It would be difficult to do this in one offseason; and,

2. You would have to move home plate out, which would result in shorter dimensions (turning Olsen into a bandbox).
SlackerAg
AG
Home plate could stay in the same place if the wider dirt areas were used as it's lowered. Maybe several rows could be added without pushing out home plate (?).

twk
AG
Our foul territory is pretty small as it is. If you go with less foul territory, that's another blow to the pitchers. You need a park that is fair to both hitters and pitchers if you want a balanced roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup, that would be ridiculously small foul territory.
trouble
AG
I'm anti anything that moves dermypoo farther from blue.
West Point Aggie
West Point Aggie
AG
Well let's do this again…

Third deck with boxes between the second and third decks…it also becomes imposing/cavernous…no need to remove foul territory, move home plate or mess with the fences…
greg.w.h
AG
It takes a full rebuild. Apparently we need need to win four CWS in a row to fund it…
greg.w.h
AG
I guess I should add: Blue Bell is nearly the perfect brand for a stadium near Brenham and they led the donations with a $7 million donation. Times have changed but if the average donation is $7 million it takes 18 total givers to fund $120 million.
standfast
Is there an option to put decks or some seats over on the back end of the REC center? Seems like you could renovate part of that to offer views of Olsen. I'm not sure what's on the other side of that wall but seems like a good opportunity to use a structure that already has views of the entire field.
Bullpen Chias
AG
standfast said:

Is there an option to put decks or some seats over on the back end of the REC center? Seems like you could renovate part of that to offer views of Olsen. I'm not sure what's on the other side of that wall but seems like a good opportunity to use a structure that already has views of the entire field.

I've watched games from the Rec center patios. Not ideal. Better off putting seats above wall.
TAMU1990
AG
I still want some sort of grilling/fun fan experience in the outfield. It should be a party out there.
LHP
AG
Bull & TAMU, both will be included.
12th Man Ag
AG
LHP said:

Ready for the renderings to be released publicly!
stoneca
LHP said:

do you know when the renderings might be released? SIAP
LHP
AG
Not sure but could be soon. Silent fund raising happening now.
Cheeks
wish they'd move the ball park elsewhere, like where the golf course currently is.

you could build an awesome sports complex there, baseball/basketball/softball, plus plenty of parking and tailgating.
AG1996
Cheeks said:

wish they'd move the ball park elsewhere, like where the golf course currently is.

you could build an awesome sports complex there, baseball/basketball/softball, plus plenty of parking and tailgating.
golf course is not an option, it is a golf course because it is a floodplain. ever driven down bush after a big rain?
Bullpen Chias
AG
Bush Library is the better relo option. But a relo isn't happening. We wait for the renderings of a new Olsen. The encouraging part of the reno is the numbers that are now being thrown around. It would be enough to create an elite ballpark.
Ferg
A lot to be said for building up in place. The Red Sox did it, and Fenway is still the same park it was when Babe Ruth played........for the Red Sox. Imagine them getting a new stadium with no Green Monsta, no Pesky pole, no Citgo sign.

Now imagine Texas A&M baseball with no Olsen magic, No Trains, etc. Baseball history is a huge part of the sport.

LHP
AG
We are definitely NOT changing the location. End of that discussion.
Capitol Ag
AG
greg.w.h said:

The original band box…Baker Bowl in Philly…though referred to as a cigar box due to its oblong shape. Right field wall is 279' and 40' high.

Also older painting but colored. The latter version was double-decked in left field. Left field was 341', center was 408', and right center was 300'

Lifebuoy!

12th Man Ag
AG
LHP said:

We are definitely NOT changing the location. End of that discussion.

This is correct. That ship has sailed.

Excited to see the renderings soon!
Zona81
AG
I remember some people on here wanted to move Kyle Field off campus somewhere. That expansion/renovation turned out pretty good. Olsen/Blue Bell can have the same result. I also can't wait to see the renderings. I trust Schloss. He said we have a chance to make this stadium have an impact on college baseball stadiums like Camden Yards did on MLB ballparks. That's an exciting prospect.
BQ_90
AG
Zona81 said:

I remember some people on here wanted to move Kyle Field off campus somewhere. That expansion/renovation turned out pretty good. Olsen/Blue Bell can have the same result. I also can't wait to see the renderings. I trust Schloss. He said we have a chance to make this stadium have an impact on college baseball stadiums like Camden Yards did on MLB ballparks. That's an exciting prospect.

Can you bump those post. The discussion was do we play year away from home and do the renovations in one year instead of over several years.

I'm fine with tear down of Olsen and rebuild in place. I just don't see that happening because you can't do that in one year and not miss games at home
Farmer1906
AG
The Jimbo firing can't be good for the baseball plans.
A-A Ron
Farmer1906 said:

Had the same thoughts, could possibly delay them. People will still come on here and say "we're so filthy rich we can do both"
Bullpen Chias
AG
A-A Ron said:

Farmer1906 said:

Had the same thoughts, could possibly delay them. People will still come on here and say "we're so filthy rich we can do both"

We're all gonna pay. My general donation is going towards the initial payout and I'll contribute to the buyout over the next 7 years though increased prices etc.

Baseball may not suffer too much - they will get their own cap campaign.
BQ_90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

IMO it's the opposite. BMAs where closing their wallets if he didn't go
Farmer1906
AG
BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I am not following the logic here. If there is a donor that gives to both football and baseball and we owe Jimbo 19 M right away (I think I read) plus new funds to buy out another coach potentially, Why wouldn't that donor feel tapped out if he's writing huge football checks? If Jimbo is still here, the options are to give to baseball or hold onto your money.
Ferg
Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I am not following the logic here. If there is a donor that gives to both football and baseball and we owe Jimbo 19 M right away (I think I read) plus new funds to buy out another coach potentially, Why wouldn't that donor feel tapped out if he's writing huge football checks? If Jimbo is still here, the options are to give to baseball or hold onto your money.
because they hate tu, and anything we do to beat tu they love.
BQ_90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Donors aren't a block vote. Many wanted Jimbo gone and said they would stop donating if he was retained. Do you realize we don't own Jimbo all the money upfront. So it's not like they need all,the money right now

Again they announced campaign for soccer same week they knew they would fire Jimbo
Farmer1906
AG
BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Donors aren't a block vote. Many wanted Jimbo gone and said they would stop donating if he was retained. Do you realize we don't own Jimbo all the money upfront. So it's not like they need all,the money right now

Again they announced campaign for soccer same week they knew they would fire Jimbo

Seems weird to punish baseball because you don't like football.

And yes, I do realize. I said so in my post.
BQ_90
AG
Happy donors helps all sports. Esp NIL

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.