Home Improvement
Sponsored by

hard Rain Reveals Leak at Fireplace

796 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Leggo My Elko
VStarr2024
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appears to be a leak between the shingles and the fireplace, likely caused by settling in the last few years. Any idea on the difficulty of repair myself/price if I get a roofer on it? Roof was replaced in 2018 2 homeowners ago.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
DIY depends on why it's leaking and of course your roof. If it's single story and low slope, that make a a huge difference.

That leak may not be related to your roof at all. If you can get up there SAFELY, see what your mortar and masonry look like up there. I chased a leak on my own room many years ago only to find it wasn't the roof but a crack in my masonry.

Any roofer can take a look for you but I'd start there before jumping to the roof. It could be that, could be flashing, could be a few things. It might be obvious once you're up there
tgivaughn
AG
If it were me & safe for you to be on roof, GE Silicone sealant applied at all flashing openings that allow water behind them.

Then when other roof work is afoot within a year, attempt to order thru-wall (thru brick joints) metal flashing, well sealed.
IMHO and am sticking to it
AG1904
AG
Do you have a cricket on the roof where it meets the chimney? You can google photos if you don't know what I'm talking about. I had never heard of it, but I was having leaking at my chimney and this was one of the measures the waterproofer recommended. I had other issues going on, but something to consider.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Quote:

Any idea on the difficulty of repair myself/price if I get a roofer on it?
That all depends in the nature of the leak. Personally, I'd pay a roofer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.