***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,227,210 Views | 25708 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by BadAggie
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
linkdude said:

Bregman against tomorrow's starter Aaron Brooks, 4-5, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2.400 OPS

Holy cow. First, an NFL starting QB, then an NBA starting point guard, and now an MLB starter? Amazing!
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

Bregman against tomorrow's starter Aaron Brooks, 4-5, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2.400 OPS

RHP so let's load up Loperfido, Cabbage, & Caratini. I wanna see 6 lefties bat.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG

All I do is Nguyen
All I do is Nguyen
You hate to see it

The Porkchop Express
Was watching the Royals/Mariners highlights this a.m. and clicked on Bobby Witt Jr's page. You guys see the kind of season he's having?

Currently he's on pace for: 143 runs scored, 187 hits, 41 doubles, 18 triples, 18 HR, 77 RBI, 55 steals. And he's hitting .298. Kid is turning into a clone of George Brett with a slightly lower average and a bit more speed.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Also JP and Altuve are now tied for the lead in the AL in hits (53), Tuck still leads the Majors in HR (13), and he's leading the AL in total bases (90)

Tuck o pace for 108 runs, 50 HR, 112 RBI, and maybe most impressively 120 walks.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
tjack16
AG
Yordan on track for 30 HR and 77 RBI.

Would love to see him get really hot soon. I feel like we are going to need it. The 40 HR season has eluded him
JohnnyTexAg1995
After watching the video of the 1st base ump checking the glove, he rubs his damn hand all Over the thing and it isn't sticking to anything at all when he is touching the outside of the glove! Then after the game he said it's the stickiest he has ever felt in years lol. There is video of this how is this legal for umps to have full power like this!
The Porkchop Express
tjack16 said:

Yordan on track for 30 HR and 77 RBI.

Would love to see him get really hot soon. I feel like we are going to need it. The 40 HR season has eluded him
Now that Bregma nhas had a mini revival the spotlight is really on Yordan. He's got 2 RBi in 49 at-bats in May. And he's struck out 13 times. He only struck out 17 times in twice as many at-bats last month. He went 0-for-14 vs. the Indians and 1-for-11 vs. the Cubs. ANd he's only hitting .200 at Minute Maid.
Buck Compton
AG
tjack16 said:

So apparently it's not just the typical suspects in the umpiring group that are worthless. They're just rotten each and every one.

They were all trained by their union or the MLB to say the same bull*****
gambochaman
AG
Like i said at some point last night

I dont think the mlb is interested in fixing the umpiring mess they have….they are fully complicit in this

Its a feature, not a bug
tjack16
AG
So how does the rotation set up for the next two weeks now? Brown back to starter?
houag78
AG
I've said before and I really believe something is wrong w Yordan. While he has done ok lately (.300 over last 7 games) he hasn't been hitting for much power, and as you point out, only 2 RBI this month. In the past he has occasionally slipped into these "singles only" streaks, but he usually snaps out of them with some doubles and then HR. He just doesn't look competitive in many of his AB right now. If we are going to get back on track and compete longer term, we need Yordan to be Yordan.
FrioAg 00
AG
We could really use an 8 inning game out of Framber tonight to get this pen some rest

Or maybe an early offensive explosion so we can avoid pitching our better arms
Ag_07
AG
Yordan's lack of RBIs probably has something to do with Tucker knocking the cover the ball right in front of him.

I've seen enough in the past few games to not be worried. He's at least smoking the ball now.

He'll be fine.
All I do is Nguyen
Seems like the lineup has come alive at the right time. Dubon in the 9hole sets Tuve up really well as leadoff in later innings. this is the first time this season I feel like we truly don't have black hole in the lineup. I get Meyers isn't the best but he's no Abreu or Maldy
Farmer1906
AG
We are halfway through May and Jake Myers has a higher war than Yordan Alvarez
linkdude
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Meyers last at-bat to set up the winning run was a thing of beauty, start to finish. Looked like a veteran.
AgSportsFan89
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Meyers last at-bat to set up the winning run was a thing of beauty, start to finish. Looked like a veteran.

I kept expecting him to screw it up, especially after some bad bunt attempts. He really came through and showed me
texasaggie2015
AG
I will never understand the hate Meyers gets. He's a solid player.

I think the fanbase is so spoiled from those teams that were absolutely loaded 1-9. If Meyers is your 9-hole guy and starting CF, you're in pretty good shape.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I think the fanbase is so spoiled from those teams that were absolutely loaded 1-9. If Meyers is your 9-hole guy and starting CF, you're in pretty good shape.

I think it stems from Dusty's inability to just choose a guy and stick with him the last 2.5 seasons. Chas seemed to always hit better but Dusty would continually platoon him and it got annoying.

Meyers has grown on me a lot this year.
Project Gemini
AG
Ag_07
AG
Meyers mental mistakes and his knack for making the routine difficult rub me the wrong way.
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

I don't hate Meyers, I have just been fooled by him before so I am hesitant to say he is DEFINITELY staying in the lineup. I have hoped for things to click for him for two year now, so I will be ecstatic if he has turned a page
f1ghtintexasaggie
EastCoastAgNc said:

Laz Diaz disappeared for half an inning. It wouldn't surprise me if they doctor it up with someone else to make themselves look better.

He left to ensure chain of custody of the glove, right? Serious question, can a team member be present for chain of custody to ensure something like that doesn't happen?
f1ghtintexasaggie
tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I think it stems from Dusty's inability to just choose a guy and stick with him the last 2.5 seasons. Chas seemed to always hit better but Dusty would continually platoon him and it got annoying.

Meyers has grown on me a lot this year.

There's something to that for sure, but he (and Chas) are ultimately trying to fill Springer's shoes. George was one of the most beloved players of this run for some.
f1ghtintexasaggie
The Porkchop Express said:

Tuck still leads the Majors in HR (13), and he's leading the AL in total bases (90)

Tuck o pace for 108 runs, 50 HR, 112 RBI, and maybe most impressively 120 walks.

Obligatory.

All I do is Nguyen
The Porkchop Express
Jake suffers much like Hunter Brown does of coming up and being awesome as a rookie and then falling way off that production in subsequent years and getting the backlash. 2021 Jake looked like the 2nd coming of Hunter Pence. But then we struggle through injuries weird platoons, the rise and fall of McStrawmick, and most fans see him as just a guy. The falling down caught stealing vs the blue jays certainly didn't help him either.
The Porkchop Express
houag78 said:

I've said before and I really believe something is wrong w Yordan. While he has done ok lately (.300 over last 7 games) he hasn't been hitting for much power, and as you point out, only 2 RBI this month. In the past he has occasionally slipped into these "singles only" streaks, but he usually snaps out of them with some doubles and then HR. He just doesn't look competitive in many of his AB right now. If we are going to get back on track and compete longer term, we need Yordan to be Yordan.

I agree. The last few games I've watched he looks like he does not want to be at the plate and has zero confidence. He looks like he's just swinging and hopes the ball hits the bat.
Wabs
AG
If it is in fact just rosin and sweat in his glove (likely), then how can MLB suspend him? Are they assuming he purposely put rosin in his glove, mixed it with some sweat, and then somehow used that to doctor a ball? A ball you throw with a hand that can literally pick up and use a rosin bag on the mound? Where is the MLB player union on this?
Ag_07
AG
I don't know the rules.

I was under the impression that suspect sticky stuff gets you an ejection and if it's determined to be a foreign substance then it's a suspension. Rosin is not a foreign substance so I think he'd be cleared.

At least that's what they did with Scherzer but do we really think Blanco will get the same treatment as Scherzer?
First Page Last Page
Page 586 of 735

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.